Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Jack-o-lanterns

Pages: 1 2 3 4 153 replies

Well, GMAN's given me the tiki itch.

Quick intro, My name is Art and I've been friends with GMAN since he was in college with my best friend waaaaaaay back in the late 80s-early 90s. I'm a member of a couple motorcycle and homebrew forums and have joined here as a place to see GMAN's (and now other's) work. So far I'm amazed at all everyone's different styles.

Here's my very first tiki. After finishing a classic Jack-O-Lantern I grabbed a chunka punkin and did a few rough cuts.

Soon I may take up the dremel and cut a couple bar taps.

Hope you guys like this newbie's first piece, proudly owned by my neice.

W

fun lucky, niece!

it amazes me how people are inspired by TIKI

B

Artsonsafari, Nice way to start the itch. Not bad for a left over chunk'o Punkin'.
I know you have been around for awhile but Welcome to TC again anyway.

Merged.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Oct 18, 2005 4:27 PM

Art,

Oh my gourd! That is a fine punkin moai!

-Gman

B

broken links deleted

[ Edited by: badmojo 2007-10-29 16:48 ]

R

Happy Halloween 2005 from our cat, Mr. Hunter P. Johnson:

[ Edited by: rupe33 2005-10-23 18:08 ]

G

Mine was somewhat loosely based on a Bosko wall mask I saw some time ago. I opted to do some rough cutting with a carving tool on the edges of the design as well, to give a more “rough hewn” look to it.

Oh, and it is unintentional, but I think this pumpkin looks a bit like a luchadore mask.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

E

All these pumpkins are fantastic!!!

I just did one and it took me 3 hours (including prep and cleaning) but I didn't know what I was doing. I think i now have my carving groove on, and have a better feel for it, but alas, lack the patience and time to do another. I'd really like to do a tiki. I used a pumpkin carving kit and an x-acto knife and came away woundless. :wink: Poor Scary Teddy was supposed to have at least 4 more teeth...

If anyone is looking for a tiki pumpkin pattern, I made up a template from my Marquesan address sign.

You can download it as a jpeg here.

I used it yesterday, I'll post a picture of the finished pumpkin tonight!

V

woaw, Mojo, I love your pumpkins, they look so cool. I didn't know you were a pumpkin's sculptor...

B

broken links deleted

[ Edited by: badmojo 2007-10-29 16:44 ]

Nice peck of pumpkin ya pumped out Mojo.

Chongolio

mojo, i praise your pumpkinny goodness

Toothey Grin - DrunkenMunky carved this one

Mr. Bonejangles

My own Marq. design

E
ewik posted on Wed, Nov 2, 2005 4:35 PM

this was our pumpkin this year

TH

Got inspired to carve a Tiki Pumpkin this halloween!
Maybe we can all post pics.. If anyone else does this..

I know its sept, but I love halloween and am already excited.. Like to pre-plan my pumpkins :)

The last three pages of this thread still have some good pictures:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6049&forum=1

Sabu

That sounds like an awesome idea. Do you know of any websites that have stencils for that? If you don't I'm sure I could find some, or improvise with drawings. :)

But of course. This is a tradition at our home. I'll post pics when we're done.

Thanks for the thread Sabu, how the heck did I miss that one in 2005..and to make matters worse, I totally forgot to take pictures of our own pumpkins last year. But here's two from the year before, right about the time I first got bitten by the tiki bug!

I thought of the same thing...Tiki Pumpkins..at least two or three..no??

Heyyyy. let's do tiki pumpkin carvings in 2006, spread them around the country..the TIKI is ALIVE !!!

COOL IDEA

I think I am going to have to get some giant pumpkins for this project. Thanks for the idea!

M

BadMojo... is the master pumpkin carver!!! Almost time to put my Mojo original on display.

V

Not exactly tiki - but I did have fun carving these last year:

And here I am last year with some of the trick or treaters - see if you can pick me out of the crowd :)

TH

iF ANYNE WANTS TO GO crazy..

gET A BUNCH OF PUMPKINS, tiki CARVE THEM, AND MOUNT THEM ON TOP OF EACHOTHER (oops.. capslock. but I AM excited about this.. so it works...) and make a big tiki totem pole...

M

Nice job Van!!!

I can't believe this thread on carving jack-o-lanterns is already 3 years old. Seems like only yesterday.

I await to see what masterpieces Mojo will unleash on the world this year......Maybe the state of Vermont lifesize in pumpkin form?

On 2006-09-26 18:39, MachTiki wrote:

I can't believe this thread on carving jack-o-lanterns is already 3 years old. Seems like only yesterday.

Has it really been that long? I can still remember when lil' mojo took the training-wheels off of his first pumpkin... ahhh memories...

Every year I try to carve a Shag-style skull into one of my pumpkins... and every year people comment on the Punisher pumpkin I've carved. :roll:

-Z

ohhh..the ideas here are just getting better, I went to "Michaels" and picked up a power master carving mini jigsaw. Its supposed to work great on foam pumpkins too, can't wait to try it out, I'll post pics.

...."The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"...Einstein

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - image removed at owner's request - 2006-09-29 14:52 ]

B

Unless the pic is in the form of a quote from my post I'd appreciate you didn't use it.

M

On 2005-10-31 18:57, badmojo wrote:
And here's my Leroy.

All your pumpkins are top notch Mojo.

Merged.

Consider it DONE

B

On 2006-09-28 21:58, IsleConch wrote:
Consider it DONE

I would, but it's NOT

V

so, what will mojo do this year ?

How about this

I

my apologies for taking soooo loooong to remove your pic MOJOn... I'm just gettin to know how this works..

Hey..riffic why didn't I think of that..ingenious.

[ Edited by: IsleConch 2006-10-03 20:04 ]

Actually, I can't take credit for that pumpkin, as I didn't carve it, but I thought it might be good for a TC chuckle.

V

Saw this - while it isn't exactly a tiki carving - it is a great tutorial. I am ashamed to say I never thought of using my sculpting tools on a pumpkin before. Guess what I'm gonna try this Halloween! :)

http://www.villafanestudios.com/pumpkins.htm

Thankx Van..I could really use the tutorial cause I will attempt to do some carving myself.

WOOOOOHOOOO! Can You Carve a Tiki Pumpkin??

http://www.cubpack81.com/images/carve_pumpkin.swf

M

Mojo came through again this year. This Billion Dollar Baby was on my front doorstep yesterday.

Thanks Mojo. Excellant job.

Oh wow! An Alice Cooper Pumpkin! That's beautiful! The BEST! (When I was a kid we were actually afraid to listen to Alice Cooper albums because we thought he was a real witch!)

CA

here are some results of the pumpkin carving contest at the Puka bar here in Long Bch CA....

I was a judge and my two pumpkins where not judged

the nice palms and Moai were the owner's hand at carving, and the second from the left was the winner.

..Wow those carvings are nice Al. Congrats

Pages: 1 2 3 4 153 replies