Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Basement Kahuna -New Maori Bone Pendant 3/04

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,150 replies

TL

...and after you're done, I'll be RIGHT THERE to take him off yer hands!!!! :)

Awesome.... just...awesome.....

C

another great one BK....great blending of the coontiki marq with the "traditional"
Kahuna style...can't wait to see more. thanks for your finishing tips on my PNG!

2 more great pieces BK. Keep it up!

Top chops BK! Reminds me I need to get back to my 6 footer... too many things going on at once lately!

Thanks also for the tips... hope to try them out soon!

Thanks, all..

Aloha BK!!!!
Excellent carvings my friend, but I wouldnt have expected anything less from a very tallented person. thanks for sharing and keep slaying the wood!!!! Aloha for now your friend, Jimmy Mooney

He's finished...a little bit Marquie, a little bit Polynesian pop..(And a little bit swift chisel...a little bit Judo Chop!) "Hey, Isn't that the Basement Kahuna Hawaiian Paddle immortalized by our friend Crazy Al Evans at the APE performance at Trader Vic's Atlanta last year?" Yep, that be tha one..

Sublime! Beyond words.

Can I have it?

S

Very impressive sir. Very impressive indeed!

H

Sheeeezzzz! Sweeet lines AND tones! for crying out LOUD, bratha!

now that's how to do it...fantastic carving BK....wonderful finish. This will give me something
to dream about while sleeping tonight...thanks. have a shot of pimento on that one.

B

Now this is a Schweet carving. Nice work BK. Looks like you are really back in the Groove.
HappyHappyHAppy

Your small stuff is nice, but the big pieces are off the hook. The finish is beautiful!!

another beauty, bk! the paint really made this one look great.

Bk is back on track! serously amazing carving, my friend, and I'm still kickn' myself for missing the coon tiki Is this one for the home bar or is it for sale?

You know what I like best about your big carvings? is the contrast between the tatoos and the finsh on the tiki. They really stand out nicely and look vintage - not a 100 year old vintage, mind you, but a vintage as though it were sitting inside a tiki bar since the 60's. outstanding work.

man is that amazing!! love the colors and design. the fighting stance adds to the detail. keep it up.

Top O'da charts again, BK!

Where your mind flows through your hands...what a beautiful place to see.

flip-flop-flip...

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 12, 2006 8:46 PM

Yep, that's the shitzz!

Once again... BK is back... larger than ever.

S

Hey, come on up for your birthday and help me finish this big brother of that one I gots in ma basement...

What's eating at you to carve now????

Fabulous! The finish is awesome, as well at the karate chop. I wouldn't expect any less from you, you're on fire!

Again mahaloz, all. Swank, doing the other half of this basswood log and then two full size Maori wall panels...Polynesian-mid-century is what I always shoot for in the tikis.. Everybody seems to be on fire around here lately. Some great stuff.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-06-15 21:11 ]

On 2006-06-12 18:37, Polynesiac wrote:
Bk is back on track! serously amazing carving, my friend, and I'm still kickn' myself for missing the coon tiki Is this one for the home bar or is it for sale?

You know what I like best about your big carvings? is the contrast between the tatoos and the finsh on the tiki. They really stand out nicely and look vintage - not a 100 year old vintage, mind you, but a vintage as though it were sitting inside a tiki bar since the 60's. outstanding work.

Hi, Polynesiac, sorry, I had missed your question. I carved this one in my spare time...It's for Hukilau, really, and I have another identical log that will become it's twin, but I put it in my local antique mall space to grab attention. I did put a price on it. As for the contrast, the secret if you are polychroming is to tone down the whites or lighter colors severely with a transparent wash. You can use either a brownish tempera mixture, a highly diluted stain, or (my choice) a floral toner like Design Master. You want it to look like it has layer upon layer of nicotine patina for that golden age Tiki temple look. A dull, honey colored glow. Hard to explain, but easy if you take a really close look at an old tiki in situ indoors at a place like the Mai Kai or Trader Vic's or the Tonga Room, etc.

36 years old today... "You move six-teen tons...and whaddaya get..."

TG

Today's your day huh! Have one on me, or two, or three......

New tiki looks awesome B.K., nice job.

B

HAppyHappyHappy Birthday BK. No goofin off just cuz itz yer b-day. Throw us some more awesome tikis!!

Well, its about time you caught up! That makes me your elder by about 2 1/2 months.
But I have a lot more to learn from you... :wink:

Happy Birthday Dave!

M

Happy Birthday Basement Kahuna!!! Gemini's rock'n the house!!! Mine was the 14th.

Mahalo

McTiki

Aloha, all...I'm about to launch my first Basement Kahuna website...just a heads up from here. Something simple and nice... Lots of commish work I need to finish right now but hopefully we'll have it up by the middle or end of next week (2 railpost orders, a 4-foot tiki order, a Cula Cula in progress, Hukilau projects, and three jewelry orders notwithstanding!).

S

Callme. I have the lowest rates possible for domain registration...

On 2006-06-23 15:45, McTiki wrote:
Happy Birthday Basement Kahuna!!! Gemini's rock'n the house!!! Mine was the 14th.

Mahalo

McTiki

Mine too. Happy B-day BK

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jun 24, 2006 1:19 PM

Youngins........

H

I'm about to launch my first Basement Kahuna website

With one of those 'Buy Now' buttons, hopefully.

Basement K your a punk!

See ya at Huki this year?

Fish guy

Can do! Gotta be there! ALoha!

I'll bring the peyote.

I'll bring the dynamite.

Looks like my photo links are screwing up...dangit...

What's cookin' BK?...krazy mad to see your workz...Web? Wood? Worms? Whatcha gotz???

...guess I'll go clip da buttz of some fireflies, till you show me sumpthun' better to look at!?!

Hot summer nights and crazy from the heat :tiki: Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

Here is a recent project carved for VonTiki...it is a walrus tooth that he has carried in his pocket since he was a child, so there was absolutely no margin of error on this piece...it was a very special one-of-a-kinder and had to be a very special design!! You can see it has four seperate figures; two Marakihau conjoined by a tongue that interlaces three times, one of the figures shares a spiral arm joint that becomes a teko teko; the back morphs into a rauru crowning a manaia head. Seven very small inlays... If you look closely at the rauru you will notice that it is one continuous line; represents eternity of the ocean. The Manaia and the Marakihau are receiving the Teko back into eternity..I knew this piece had to carry deep meaning as well...enjoy!

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-07-11 10:34 ]

wow that is cool. i bet that was pretty hard to carve. what tools did you use on it?
keep the good work comming

J

That is bewildering. Nice explanation / description on a very nice piece with sentimental value. Don't know how you do it! I saw one of you pieces at Gman's-great work.
JP

B

Typical Outstanding, Excellent BK Work.. Well Done BK!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jul 11, 2006 5:16 PM

Dats the sh*! right there! I love it! I'll take two....

My God BK, that's unbelievable! So much meaning and detail on such a small piece. Is there a strong odor when you carve these?

SsweeetT BK, much better than da firefly buttz I been look'n at! Beautiful work!!!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

I saw VonTiki's uncarved walrus tooth at the carving gig. That's amazing what you have done with it - a very meaningful design.

H

Supa' sweet details...but can we hook a NAHS homeboy up w/ a better digital camera? I wanna see this sh*t under a microscope! Inlays are awesome! I gotta PM you about the NAHS thing....after I find your pic in my little bro's yearbook-HAH!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1150 replies