Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beyond Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,195 replies

:up: I recently bought this nice little seafoam green w/gold speckle dish. It matches the walls in my dining room perfectly.
All that needs to be done now is a little cleaning to get the old wax out from the bottom. $2.99.

Beyond Tiki finds this past weekend:

Totem pole salt & peppers, and a tiny little totem pole, probably only 2" tall.

One Sway at a Time

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2006-08-01 10:17 ]

A Blue/Yellow Lava Grande for $15 at a rummage sale

Plus an old, framed "Great Whales of the World" print for $2.

Found this fun set of 8 cocktail glass with graphics of Thrilling Cities and even Cuba in it's pre Castro heydays

Hey! I have that same set, except I only have 7 and I always wondered what the 8th was. Now I know - Bombay. Thanks.

D

at long last, a nifty find.. not quite tiki ~ hawaiiana definitely. a painted velvet, not in pristine condition, but not bad for 4.99.

D

score for just 8 bucks.. a KampKold cooler..i gotta get that bit of tar off the front, but its in great shape!! reminds me of an Airstream!

I love this thread Sabu!

C

On 2005-09-08 01:12, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
I have a few pieces of California Aztec, but given a good-sized budget, I would choose to collect the Metlox "Tropicana" line myself, decorated with pineapples and fish. I think this pattern would look especially good in your home, Bongofury, what with your Witco and Tiki and Modernist decor. Unfortunately, it is as expensive as your more uncommon and rare tiki mugs. img]

Sabu

Sabu, if you ever want to rid yourself of those lesser Aztec pieces, I'll help you dispose of them. They were our everday mom-doesn't-care-if-we-break-them dishes when I was a kid. I thought they were awful until somewhere in my 20's when suddenly all things retro-modern began to creep into my style. They are again my everyday dishes but I try not to break them. Great info on the Metlox factory, too bad it's no longer there.

[ Edited by: Cultjam 2006-09-14 09:58 ]

C

More evidence of Shag "inspired" Target products:

So fess up, who here in TC designs for Target? I know you're here. Keep it up. Please.

Take a look at this beautiful 1950s "Aquabat" that Doctor Z and I stumbled upon at a garage sale this weekend:

I passed on it, but with great longing. No room in my tiki bar right now to hang this on the wall or from the cieling. Starting price was $100, but they probably would have bargained. What a gorgeous relic of the Fifties.

Sabu

Got this ashtray for $1.50

T
twitch posted on Sun, Oct 1, 2006 8:07 PM

On 2005-07-01 17:54, Pepe le Tiki wrote:
This is my one of my favorite recent thrift store finds:
A TV S&P shaker

WOW!
Just researching old threads and saw this - I bought one a these 8 years ago for 25 cents, minus the S&P shakers (and a leg) and wondered since then what the exact hell it was used for! That's too damn cool.
I put a photo-slide and an LED light inside of mine. Now I gotta keep an eye out for those shakers....

S

Couldn't afford it, but can't live without it. These are perfect. Not a crack or tear anywhere. Check out the built-in ashtrays! $250

Man that sofa and chair set are SWAG!

My wife's Grandfather passed away last year (Grandmother 2 years earlier), and while going through their house cataloging items to remove (jewelry, guns, hidden money, etc.), my father in law told us that when we are ready (and the family is ready) we could have what antique furniture and items in the house. Well her family owns a ranch and all of her grandparent's decor is country or cowboy, but much of it is from the 50's. When we get the room cleared out in our house we will be aquiring a full set of wagon wheel furniture with original vinyl covering, her grandparent's covered everything to protect the fabrics. the set includes a fold out sofa-bed, 2 chairs, end tables, and hanging lamps. Perfect for that 1950's cowboy look I wanted in my den. There are also a non-cowboy lamps, including this one I snapped a pic of. Like I said, it's still in the house untill the family is ready to start parting with it.

I didn't pick it up to get a makers mark, but I recall seeing an article in a magazine about the maker of these lamps. I heard they go for big bucks on eBay (atleast at the time of the article).

F
foamy posted on Sun, Nov 5, 2006 4:19 AM

Hey Unkle John, be careful with vinyl covered furniture. My experience has been that when you take the vinyl off and start using the furniture, the fabric has a way of deteriorating very quickly.

I walk the beach every morning with my dog and find all kinds of great re-usable stuff washed up with the tide. The picture below shows an example of some of the items I've found in the last couple of weeks:

I get lots of Lobster trap marker floats and other floats associated with the lobster fishery (during lobster season), that's a life ring on the left with a bit of netting that was encrusted with mussels. The bamboo in front is not the tons of river reed that washes down our rivers in the winter months, but is a bamboo gaff from a fishing boat that fell overboard, a bumper on the far right....and what's that in the back you ask?

Why that's an 8'+ long board!!! I was shocked to come accross this one at the hightide mark early in the morning. So shocked, in fact, that I left it there thinking someone MUST have left it there and would be back for it before I returned. 30 minutes later, it was still there. I was perplexed. Even the cheapest longboards arn't that cheap to just drop and run. My next thought was that maybe the person was still int he water. The sun was just starting to come up, absolutly NO waves (like glass that morning and the day before), so surfing was out of the question and it was light enough to see if anything was floating or paddling in the water. Nothing. I checked the board for teeth marks, but there are none, though the board is a little beat up (looks good, but probably not surfable). So...I picked it up and brought it home. now it lives in my backyard.

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2007-03-13 14:27 ]

I was at the beach one day with my "City Slicker" friends one day and as i was exploring a rock pool i heard there cries of disgust. I went over to see what they had found as they were shouting "come and see what some dirty perverts left on the beach! They've left their BUTTPLUG the filthy bastards".
Yes indeed when i reached the BUTTPLUG it was infact one of those torpedo shaped fishing floats.

It's almost spring and the yard sales are slowly returning, Just in time for the end of winter. I found this witco or witco inspired fireplace tool set shaped like a horse. Also this cool wall sculpture of fish that looks like it came from and atomic house.

Picked up this like-new Craft Master paint by number kit yesterday. According to paintbynumberz.com it's c1960.

New Artist series 40 NA-442 "The Birches"

Comes with two 8" x 10" panels

and an 18" x 24" panel

All the paints, brushes and brush cleaning fluid are still sealed

and it came with an 8 page full-color catalogue and order form.

From the catalogue I scanned images of sets with tropical island themes:

cleaning is gonna be a lot more fun using this sweet vac!

all the attachments

in this really cool box

You don't collect vacuum cleaners do you dogbytes? I have heard of such people. Far be it from me to poo-poo anyone's collecting proclivities but I think vacuum cleaners are a weird thing to collect (sorry if I'm offending the vintage vacuum community). Anyhow, we used to have that vacuum when I was growing up. I think it had a different brand name (which I can't remember but I'm pretty sure it had a really space-agey logo) but it was exactly the same style and the same shade of aquamarine that was the decorating rage of the early 60s (our livingroom walls were the same color). For sure we did not have the swanky padded box though.

Wow...this is a great thread...first time here. Most of the pictures links are broken prior to page 7, but after that it is pretty sweet. Love that vacuum cleaner. I'll be back with some of my goofy junk. :)

Haha, we have that vacuum, in silver! Actually, they're fantastic vacuums. Very easy to repair and the parts are all still available. My parents still use theirs, attachments and all.

Course now that we ripped up all the carpets it doesn't get used, but it is damn cool! I always liked having it follow me around the house like a little mouse.

A radio that looks like the one on Gilligan's Island that runs on 4 D batteries which I can probablly start up my car with.

MT

Check out this cool swag globe lamp that I scored at the Alameda Antiques Fair this Sunday. It's huge!!! I guess the color on this would be tortoise? I was unsure as to whether I should post this here or in Tiki Finds, since I plan on stuffing a pufferfish lamp inside this globe lamp, but since it's not officially tiki-fied yet, I figured it should go in Beyond.

The lamp hardware for the globe lamp is missing, and I used that as a bargaining tool. I told the seller that I'd have to track down all of the hardware, and then spend my precious man hours in rewiring the lamp as well. Also, it was the end of the day, and the Antiques Fair was about to close. So he cut the price in more than half! The great thing is that I already have a small pufferfish lamp to squeeze into there, so I don't have to do much rewiring, other than running the lamp cord through the chain. I guess I'll have to cut off the plug end to do that, and then re-attach it when I'm done.

Once I've finished installing Mr. Puffer, then this puffer fish in a glass float effect should be a nice addition to the bar area I've been working on here at Casa de Mai Tai.

K
kctiki posted on Wed, Jun 6, 2007 6:56 PM

Mai Tai, that lamp should be a knockout. Please post a picture when it's done.

MT

Still working on the lamp. Seems like I have a million tiny projects around here, all going on at once. Anyways, Nacho and I went out to lunch the other day, and then went thrifting at one of his favorite local spots. I found another really cool swag lamp!!!

This one has cool amber, blue and orange-red globes - it's a three swag with an extra smoked colored globe. Don't know if I'll be able to squeeze any small puffer fish into these though, because the globes and globe openings are considerably smaller. But I'd sure like to! Maybe I can find some teeny tiny puffers to stuff inside?

By the way, in the upper right corner of the photo is the cabinet and chassis for my first guitar amplifier project. I'm going to try to build tube based guitar amps.

As requested on "Tiki Finds"...

Only, you gotta guess which one it is?

PTD

OMG...I have a pair of lamps like that PTD...they are still packed in storage somewhere in my garage. I am so glad you posted that picture....it reminds me of some of the fun things I'll find when I continue to unpack from my move 2 years ago. :)

Mai Tai....I am loving that shoe next to the lamp too. :lol:

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-07-10 21:30 ]

A pair of ceramic ukulele wall pockets.

Kool stuff folks....keep em coming!

T

Having just discovered this thread, plans are afoot to completely inundate everyone with an ungodly amount of crap I have procured over the decades - much of it from a brief stint as sorter at a Salvation Army warehouse.
Prepare, for you have been warned!

Jus' gotta re-charge the camera battery here, and unpack a few boxes...

Ooooh...fun, I am looking forward to seeing crap similar to what I have. :lol:

T

Original 50's 'shade, picked up last Saturday from a yard sale for $5, just passing by on my bike - and I've been looking for one a'these for ages...

• it's a nicer shade of blue-green than can be seen, & has tiny squares of foil all over it.
    oh and the lamp itself (some touch-ups needed) I scored about five years back for $20 from a retro shop that couldn't afford their rent-hike and was closing down with a blow-out sale...
T

One of the coolest things I own, a 50's lighter with a working roulette wheel attached.

T

Ever wonder why our friends think we are crazy?

Then you find yourself plunking down $7.50 for a divers helmet decanter that is also a music box & guess what it plays? The theme from Love Story!

What do I win?

Tikisgrl

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.