Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Has Anyone Ever Seen This Tiki?

Pages: 1 4 replies

I've had this Tiki for a few years. It's a wall hanger, chalkware, about 25 inches tall. I got it from a seller online from Southern California. It definitely has some age on it, but no identifying marks. Google image search produces nothing but generic long-faced Tikis. The only potential clue I have is I've noticed it resembles a small graphic image that's printed on the top right corner of page 33 in the book: Ninety Years of Classic San Diego Tiki. That section is about the Island Cafe/Tradewind, which together operated from 1937 to 1970. But, other than the similarity to that image, I'm at a loss to identify my piece. Any ideas? IMG_20240420_070612538~3IMG_20240420_072104696

That is a striking similarity. I'm afraid I can't give you anything concrete, but perhaps this was custom made for use as decor there, or maybe sold as souvenirs? It's bound to be related somehow.

Tangentially, to my eye it looks like a stylized Klingon from Star Trek!

So, I guess I'm not a very observant detective. Upon a closer reading of the annotations to the images in the San Diego Tiki book, it does give a description identifying the graphic version of this Tiki specifically as The Tradewind logo. A quick Google search brought me right back to an earlier Tikicentral post containing this matchbook.

[ Edited by RedLavaKid on 2024-04-22 20:02:22 ]

5161a726~2

The Tradewind was the second Tiki establishment at the same location, 1031 Orange Ave Coronado, (after The Island) from 1960 to 1970. So, I guess it's possible that my Tiki could have been a featured piece of decor at The Tradewind, or may have even inspired their logo. The clincher would be to find photos of the interior and see if I can spot it hanging on the wall! And yes, he does look a bit Klingony!

Pages: 1 4 replies