Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Art Factory

Pages: 1 7 replies

Can anyone help me identify the building in this photo with the sign: Tiki Art Factory on the side?

IMG_20240406_210316965

Do you have any clues at all? I did a reverse image search (which you had probably already done) and didn't find anything. This isn't much but the color photograph means it was probably taken after 1970 and the palm tree narrows it down to there areas (assuming it's in the US)
main-qimg-cd841b14e761ae9bc780da2875cfc776-lq

Thanks for such a quick response. Yes, I did do a Google lens search for it, and mostly came up with images of old ramshackle buildings. Here's the full photo of which the building is a detail. Sorry, I originally meant to post these together, then got a little sidetracked this morning. But I especially wanted to zoom in on the lettering. It's printed, '"kodak paper manufactured by Kodak" on the back. I don't know if you can tell from the image but it has that dot texture finish over the photo. I have family photos of a very similar kind from 1975, but I'm sure similar films and processes were used for a while after. The clothing styles make me think it could be late 70s, even into early 80s. I did purchase it from someone in Houston Texas, but naturally it could have moved around over the years. And, most likely it's from a far flung vacation. Thanks so much for your interest and help.![](Uploading IMG_20240407_123544092.jpg…)

IMG_20240407_123544092

What a fun picture! Looks more like an ocean and not a lake, to narrow it down a little more? I'm thinking those clothes could even be in the 80s?
I zoomed in on the background but didn't see anything identifying.
PS, for future use. That pic didn't post because you didn't wait for it to upload. The text will say "uploading", sometimes for 30 seconds or more. Then change to "uploads/" and you can Submit Post

I guess the fact that one of the women pictured has a dog on a leash, indicates that they probably didn't arrive where they are on a plane. It must be a drivable vacation, or day trip somewhere within the continental United States. And thanks, regarding the pic upload - I figured it out on the second try.

Is that a dog? And is the leash on the right end? LOL

OK, I submitted your photo to a vintage photo group on Facebook. Based on the print process, the white borders on the photo, and the clothes styles everyone pretty much agreed it was late 70s - early 80s.

THEN! I sent it to Aloha Julie who posted it on the Texas Tikiphiles group and got this
433659947_1399411320710793_1549867653534570267_n

There you have it, a sandal factory on Islamorada in the Florida Keys in the late 70s :D

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2024-04-09 13:15:05 ]

Holy cats! Custom made sandals! Amazing detective work! What a great community. I'll be sure to note those details on the back of the photo for future generations. I'd like to imagine, as Aloha Julie speculates, that there may have been some Tikis carved there as well. Thanks so much for your investigative help!

Pages: 1 7 replies