Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Hindsight Tiki Bar - Texas

Pages: 1 39 replies

M
Maleko posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2024 8:47 AM

And so it begins ... Ode to the A frames 123Lets go !!!!!

[ Edited by Maleko on 2024-03-29 12:17:12 ]

R
rupe33 posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2024 9:46 AM

Wowza - looks like a big build off to a great start. Do you have plans drawn up or a vision of what it'll look like in the end?

4I do have a vision

[ Edited by Maleko on 2024-02-01 10:49:52 ]

[ Edited by Maleko on 2024-02-01 13:19:38 ]

M

Chain wall complete. 5

[ Edited by Maleko on 2024-03-02 09:34:25 ]

M
Maleko posted on Fri, Feb 9, 2024 9:36 AM

[ Edited by Maleko on 2024-02-09 10:11:44 ]

M
Maleko posted on Fri, Feb 9, 2024 9:39 AM

6.jpg small

[ Edited by Maleko on 2024-02-09 10:21:24 ]

M

thatch

M

Concrete is up next ...C30P7919 copy

[ Edited by Maleko on 2024-03-12 11:10:08 ]

I love where this is going!

M

434138807_10221396211929470_4838397451477045364_n

M

concrete 1

M

concrete

Wow!!! What an ambitious project and you have pulled it off like a pro! Massive timbers in that A-Frame, great design! Bravo!

Thanks, Mike. It has turned into a bank buster that's for sure. Been a little stressful with a 3 week delay because of rain. Builders now have to redo the lower bar cabinets. Measurements were taken from bartender side which is 6" lower than customer side ... making the bar height too low. All good though ... 2nd chance at a better designed bar. All contractors have been awesome to work with. I'm glad because it's waaaay too much work for this old man.

32 hrs and my wife & I can finally start hanging things!

[ Edited by Maleko on 2024-03-28 17:57:53 ]

[ Edited by Maleko on 2024-04-01 13:26:41 ]

M

StampedStamped 1

Love the fisheye pic LOL Did you put in wood plank textured concrete or are those tiles?

Textured concrete. Still need to stain and seal it.

Looks great! I smuggled the good solvent based concrete sealer in from Arizona because you can only buy the crappy water based stuff in California

M

Thanks Mike. I guess I better hurry up and buy some because it seems like everything that happens out west trickles east. Dont get me started.

Yeah California used to give cool stuff to the rest of the country like Tiki, surf culture, etc. Now we export crappy ideas to the other states :(

That looks outstanding! But your location has me intrigued. Beaumont? Galveston? "Southeast" spans so much territory!

Thanks. Smack dab where Hwy 69 & 96 split. I've enjoyed your YouTube videos. IMG_4491

[ Edited by Maleko on 2024-04-02 05:42:39 ]

[ Edited by Maleko on 2024-04-02 13:34:03 ]

M

Little bit of fun with the celestial event todayIMG_4535

Wow! What a project!!

K

This looks incredible! Can't wait to see more updates

DAMN!!!! That is looking awesome! I just flew in from Texas a couple of days ago. I watched the total eclipse just East of Dallas about an hour. Where are you located in Texas? 69 and 96 split outside Lansing, MI. The title on your post says it's a bar in Texas. I'm confused.

[ Edited by ernimator on 2024-04-13 04:00:37 ]

I live in a little town of 14,000 people just north of Beaumont. Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

Dodging hurricanes every now and then, but not like Florida.

[ Edited by ernimator on 2024-04-15 05:18:53 ]

LOL ... No dodging to it!. A few direct hits over the last 10 years. There's no escaping the struggles no matter where you live.

[ Edited by Maleko on 2024-04-16 07:10:00 ]

So true. So far, living in LA---earthquakes aren't so bad. Drought sucks. Taxes are worse. Gas prices are the worst!

But, a lot of tiki bars, comparatively.

And yours is looking awesome.

[ Edited by ernimator on 2024-04-16 07:53:15 ]

The good thing is, since you are in Texas, if your A-frame isn't successful as a Tiki Bar, you can always turn it into a WHATABURGER!!

M

Fires would be my biggest concern other than big city unrest on the West coast. At least with Hurricanes we can prepare.

There's enough WHATABURGERS already. :) Maybe start a WHATARUM?

M

I lean towards a purest tiki point of view, but somehow I feel as though the creature has a place in it.

One of my first homemade pieces …. IMG_4618

[ Edited by Maleko on 2024-04-21 18:38:59 ]

I'm not sure when will be the next time I make it to Texas, but get that bar done so I can come visit! I was in Texas for the Total Eclipse, just outside of Dallas. I'll have to bring you a GROG-made ceramic for your bar. https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic_id=35620

On a previous trip to Texas I saw The4 Kahunas . It's a cute little Tiki Bar in Ft. Worth. And I saw a fancy Shnancy Tiki Bar in Austin called Tiki Tatsu-Ya. Unfortunatley I didn't make it down to San Antonio to see the neat-looking Hugman's Oaisis .

Gotta get me some Whataburger, eat some good Texas BBQ (with pecan pie for dessert of course), drink some Big Red, and most importantly, have some BLUE BELL Ice Cream!

And then come back to California, and start a diet to lose the 10 lbs I gained in a week.

[ Edited by ernimator on 2024-04-22 10:43:43 ]

M

3 weeks (so far) delay because of cabinet miscalculations. I can see why good Tiki bars are never finished.Staining

MINE'S FINISHED!!

But it's not a good tiki bar.

Yours is looking great so far.

[ Edited by ernimator on 2024-04-23 01:59:20 ]

Thanks. Such a long ways to go yet. Just recently acquired the Tiki fever in Sept. of 2023.

Well, damn. It hit you hard! That's a big undertaking building an outdoor A-frame. That's not just a little home tiki bar in the corner of your room made from a couple of old bookshelves! (I know somebody that did that out here in CA). Just a warning. A tiki bar is never finished. You're always running across something you can't pass up that you decide you need for your bar. But clutter is good, as far as tiki bars are concerned. Just ask Sven Kirsten, ("Bigbro" on Tiki Central). He wrote what people consider the tiki bible, The Book of Tiki.

Also, the tiki revival has driven up tiki mug prices so much in the last ten years. And it's getting harder and harder to find random tiki stuff, like mugs in thrift stores with people being able to sell stuff on eBay. Even places like Salvation Army thrift store will look up stuff online, and sell their better stuff online because they can get more selling it that way than in the store.

Stocking your bar with alcohol will be one of your more expensive endeavors. That alcohol stuff can be $$$$expensive$$$. And the secret to making good tiki drinks----YOU MEASURE EVERYTHING! And FRESH FRUITS like lemons and limes!!!! Squeeze your own, don't buy a juice.There are some good books with good recipes and traditional tiki recipes, so follow them exactly. No pours that you count in your head. MEASURE!! Also, if you get the book, THE GROG LOG, not all the drinks in there are good. I've had them all. Hell In The Pacific is aptly named. Watch Spike's Breezeway for good inspiration on making drinks. https://www.youtube.com/@BreezewayCocktailHour/videos Also, there are a lot of "Mai Tai" recipes out there, and some taste pretty darned good. But, a true Mai Tai is the Trader Vics Mai Tai.

Also, your friends and family will good heartedly give you stuff that they think is tiki, which will be some cheap party city tiki crap or a "tiki" mug like a Star Wars tiki mug. (I also have a friend who has a bunch of non-traditional "tiki" mugs like that, but he doesn't have a tiki bar, and they are on shelves in his bathroom and kitchen because he has so much science fiction and Disney artwork on his walls, he has no room for them anywhere else) And if you play Jimmy Buffet and have parrots in your bar, tiki traditionalists will call you are a "parrot head".

Most importantly HAVE FUN!!! And, invite me to your bar when it's done.

[ Edited by ernimator on 2024-04-23 07:52:53 ]

M

lol ... its all because of SPIKE! I just needed an outdoor cook area and was vulnerable on Youtube looking at simple, small palapas!

I have an Etsy Ebay problem that is viral. Booze? Hundreds of dollars already spent. You know you've got some inventory when each time you search for a new drink, you have everything needed all too often :). I feel as though I have Mai Tais dialed in as close as to a Tradar Vic as one can get. Super cocktail.

Funny about friends and family buying us tiki stuff. I 've been trying to educate them but their learning curve is a mf. Even my own wife walks on egg shells when suggesting something "Tiki". lol

Next time you're in Texas and East bound, stop by! I'm retired and always willing to talk Tiki.

Nice one.

Don't forget to add it to: https://mytiki.life/home-tiki-bars

Pages: 1 39 replies