Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Talking Tiki, new documentary about the tiki revival, now on Kickstarter

Pages: 1 1 replies

Aloha!

I've been a lurker for a while, just registered an account to share something I'm involved in that I think would be of interest to the community.

My partner and I have been building out a small home tiki bar in El Cerrito, CA since 2020, and in the process we got all of these questions about tiki – how did the drinks get rediscovered, what directions are people taking the polynesian-pop aesthetic in, where did tiki even come from, etc. We chatted with Beachbum Berry, and one thing led to another, and we had a whole documentary film project on our hands (my partner is a documentary filmmaker so this was a natural progression!).

We kept it as a self-funded hobby project for a while, but after visiting Tiki Oasis this year we got inspired to actually try to finish the film and make it the best contemporary tiki documentary that we can. So we are running a Kickstarter campaign to raise the funds we'd need to travel to all the locations we'd like to go to and finish production and post-production next year, with a goal of premiering at Tiki Oasis 2025!

Check out our Kickstarter to see what we've been up to, and share with your tiki friends! We are really excited about this project, and we also have some fun rewards from our backers, including a very cool collaboration with tiki mug artisan Riki-Tat-Tiki in San Diego: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/asali/talking-tiki?ref=5cpki5

Happy to answer any questions about our film!

K

Congratulations in reaching your kickstarter goal! I am so excited for this project and can’t wait to see it finished. I really enjoyed the latest episode of Inside the Desert Oasis Room and hearing from you guys. I have high hopes for being able to visit (for the very first time) Tiki Oasis in 2025! Mahalo nui loa from Finland!

Pages: 1 1 replies