Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Tahitian Lagoon

Pages: 1 20 replies

T

we started our home bar in 2018. Here is a few pics of the process.01 Blank slateIMG_2530IMG_2639![](Uploading IMG_2801.JPG…)

T

IMG_2823IMG_2876IMG_4825IMG_5993IMG_8865IMG_8869IMG_5321IMG_5341IMG_5346![](Uploading IMG_5344.JPG…)![](Uploading IMG_5360.JPG…)

E

Great space. I love the cells of different textures on the walls. It’s a bummer the diving board was sacrificed but the bar is well worth it. Any pic’s behind the bar?

T

Thanks! I agree for the diving board but it was for the greater good :) Here is a pic of the bar from the top. There is a wine fridge used as mini fridge on the right. We have a small water tank behind the bar and a boat type water pump to rinse utensils and glasses.TheTahitianlagoon behind the bar

A

I'm really intrigued by that (for lack of a better term) "sand wall" with the embedded glass floats. Do you have any photos showing how you created that? Looks very unique.

Nice design and great decorations. Arriano is right, that "sand wall" is very cool

I saw a couple of them at Oceanic Arts. Old stuff they made for restaurants and then retrieved from them when they closed. They were not for sale but I was able to talk with Bob and he even gave me the round shell pieces you can see among the smaller ones. I bought the crushed shells at Joann. The floats were from OA. The pictures are worth a thousand words for the process!IMG_5973IMG_5975IMG_5977IMG_5980IMG_5991glass flaot wall not installedIMG_5989glass float wall copy

E

I agree. The sand wall is amazing. Great job.

T

Thank you all for the kind words. I am happy with the results though there is one point that bothers me: I was not able to reproduce the natural glow/colors with the backlighting. See how the amber floats look in the outdoor photo compared to inside.

Outstanding build, Tikifrog! I really like what you've done and of course I am partial to pairing swimming pools with tiki bars. I've been pondering for a while now where I might manage to work in an A-frame in my space and I'm not coming up with anything that doesn't look like it's arbitrarily bolted on, as opposed to a natural extension of the space.

As for the lighting issue with your uber-cool glass and shell wall, individual bulbs may be the answer as opposed to the LED tape. I use candelabra sockets for my glass float lights, and have learned that pairing a C7 led bulb of the same color as the glass float intensifies the color significantly. You could put together a series of sockets behind the glass and match blue, green, amber bulbs with the appropriate glass and you'd beaucoup backlighting effects. That may be more work than you're willing to invest but either way, what you have looks amazing!

T

Thank you Prikli Pear! Matching the float colors sounds like a great idea. I will try to do that in the future. I would like to spend more time working on the bar but I still have a few (!) home projects that I need to tackle before!

Thank you for sharing the photos of your work on the wall. Very cool!

N

Really nice job!

T

Thank you Nurbel!

M

Love your build. Thank you for sharing

T

VERY stylish Tiki space!

T

Thank you all for your nice words! Here are some night pics. IMG_0665IMG_0667IMG_0669

N

Looks amazing!

T

Mahalo Nurbel! Happy Holidays!

T

Very artistic and relaxing layout in this Tiki hut.

T

Mahalo Thortiki!

Pages: 1 20 replies