Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

For those who have built home bar/lounges…

Pages: 1 5 replies

M

Greetings fellow tiki-enthusiasts!

I am in the design process for a home renovation that will include a newly built ~220 sqft of space for an indoor tiki lounge/bar. Attached is a ~40 sqft cabana bath / powder room. The lounge will exit into a ~300 sqft tiki hut that looks out onto a lagoon style pool.

I've done the standard research for inspiration from pinterest, google image, instagram, various books on the subject but I'm wondering if anyone who has done this on the forum has any tips for what they wish they knew before the started or what they wish they did differently.

T

There can't be enough electrical outlets near the ceiling. There is nothing like too much space behind the bar. Good luck with your project!

A

I'll go one further and say there can't be enough electrical outlets everywhere. :) I created a tiki bar in my garage at my old house and a tiki bar in a former tool shed at my new place, and made the same mistake twice -- not insulating the walls. I trust that won't be a problem for a place inside your house. Finally, I'd say if you have something big, heavy or difficult to install (or any combination), make sure you really want it before moving ahead.

Most importantly, I think, do what you want and what you like, and don't let anyone's frowning on your choices make you do something you don't really want to do. Enjoy!

M
MC@TA posted on Fri, Sep 15, 2023 3:26 PM

Everyone says to add a ton o' outlets. I guess I'll be allotting a bit more of the budget for electrical :)

I'm also curious - what size spaces have you all built out for you tikis?

M
MC@TA posted on Fri, Sep 15, 2023 3:26 PM

Everyone says to add a ton o' outlets. I guess I'll be allotting a bit more of the budget for electrical :)

I'm also curious - what size spaces have you all built out for you tikis?

My advice is to plan out your infrastructure first. Electrical, plumbing, and any areas of the floor or ceiling that need extra support - those items are so much easier and less expensive to do in an empty room.

Beyond that, don't wait until it is "finished" to start enjoying it. Get some seating and some sort of bar, even if it's just planks on sawhorses. Get some decor up and enjoy the fruits of your labors as it progresses.

Pages: 1 5 replies