Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

TV Navy Grog Mix?

Pages: 1 5 replies

Looking around the internets and I’ve seen a few recipes from TV that call for Navy Grog Mix or just Grog Mix. Is this the same thing as their Grog concentrate? I can’t seem to find anything about a “grog mix” except for a photo of a vintage bottle and it mentioned in the recipe.

Example of Recipe:

Tututupo Tiki (Pineapple Family) 1 oz Lime Juice 2 oz Pineapple Juice 1/2 oz Honey Syrup 1 oz Grog Mix 1 oz T.V. Amber Rum 1 oz T.V. Spiced Rum 1 oz T.V. 151 Rum

3 pineapple leaves cherry small wood pick straw

Thanks

Instead of the TV Grog Mix, use: 1/2 oz. white grapefruit juice, 1/2 oz. pimento dram or allspice syrup

[ Edited by Limbo Lizard on 2023-08-31 13:53:40 ]

Thanks! I’ll give that a try instead

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Sep 2, 2023 4:10 PM

In this episode of the Breezeway Cocktail Hour, Spike shares the following recipe:

3 parts white grapefruit juice 3 parts lime juice 1 part simple syrup 1 part pimento dram

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Sep 5, 2023 1:41 PM

I actually have the recipe for the Grog Mix, but it's very complex. Plan to put it in my Donn Beach book.

The recipe for the TV Navy Grog is: Dash Grapefruit juice Dash rock candy syrup 1oz lime juice 3/4 ox Grog mix 2.5 oz dark rum

What you want it s grog concentrate, but not the one they sell, or at least, last I tried it. What they sell is watered down compared to what they use. They used to sell the real stuff to me in ATL, not sure any longer. Alspice is a sub, but I can't tell you how much works..

I may be wrong, but I believe the Trader Vic's "Navy Grog Mix," which was sold to the public, has been discontinued for many years. It was a watered-down version of the "Grog Concentrate" that they use in the restaurant and didn't taste right. Much like their "Mai Tai Mix" is very different from their restaurant-used "Mai Tai Concentrate."

However, as of right now, both the Grog Concentrate and the Mai Tai Concentrate are available to purchase on the Trader Vic's website. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm hoping these are going to be part of their regular stock, but in the past they've been a "limited time only" sort of thing, so you might want to jump on it if you're interested.

Pages: 1 5 replies