Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Jungle Oasis - Durham, NC

Pages: 1 16 replies

I pretty much wanted to start this Home Tiki Bar thread to hopefully lay claim to the name "Jungle Oasis" as our Tiki bar. If there is already a home Tiki bar with that name I could not find it. I have already started the daunting process of collecting items/supplies for this project but I know the Tiki bar of my dreams is going to set me back a lot of clams.

Our Tiki bar will be spread over two floors and three rooms (one being a dedicated Head Hunter/Tiki themed theater) with an adjoining 2nd floor entry raised outdoor deck. We have huge plans and have been inspired beyond belief by what I have seen here on this forum, in the book Polynesiacs and on you-tube. I know this project is going to take us at least a few years to complete and I hope we enjoy the journey even though the costs are intimidating.

Although the final completion of the "Jungle Oasis" Tiki bar may be years away... we have already started trying to become experts at consuming delicious Tiki cocktails at home. It is truly fun trying to make new cocktails each week and testing them out to find our favorites. This is one aspect of the Tiki lifestyle that fortunately can be enjoyed immediately.

I have had many hobbies and collected many things over my lifetime with several collections already being bought/sold. I am truly hoping collecting Tiki and the Tiki lifestyle is going to be the one that I will enjoy till the end of my days. Sorry there are no pics yet... but I kind of want to show the finished product when it is complete.

Just curious, but why call yourself TheTackyTiki? Do you think that Tiki is 'tacky'?

Well I obviously don't think it is tacky or I would not be embarking on this arduous journey of trying to build my dream Tiki bar. I do however wonder if some of my friends/relatives/clients will secretly think it is tacky but I really don't care at this point.

My only regret is why did I not think of doing this much earlier. I feel like I've really missed the boat in some regards... especially with Oceanic Arts no longer in business. I did not get to purchase a single item from them while they were still open. Now if I am lucky enough to have a chance at one of their items I desire... it will likely cost me many times what it originally sold for.

People who have been in this hobby for decades are the ones that were in the right place at the right time to get the holy grail pieces of Tiki history. Newcomers like myself are out searching for scarce leftovers so to speak. It feels very daunting and frustrating at times but I always have liked a challenge. I'll just probably be eating cat food in retirement but that's ok.

Ok, but you didn't actually explain why you chose to use the word 'tacky' as your username. Just because your friends/family might think of it as that way, doesn't make it so.

And for the record, there has already been variations of your username attached to this site. Unfortunately since the sites crash in 2020 and its subsequent update, i cannot find those 'names' with the current search feature.

Swizzle, did you pick your user name because some people want to grab you up by your feet and use you to stir a giant cocktail? LOL

Sounds like you have a very ambitious project lined TheTackyTiki Enjoy the ride and don't worry that you have to finish it all this month. My advice is to be sure to get the infrastructure in first. Figure out how many electrical outlets you think you need and multiply it times 3 LOL Add any plumbing now, any floor reinforcement if you plan for something heavy later, any waterproofing behind areas that will later become a backsplash or water feature. Those are so much easier to add now instead of later when everything is 7 layers deep in decoration.
Put in the minimum you need to have a functional and enjoyable space right now. A bit of seating, a bar (even if it's temporary), a few decorations. Then you have a place to relax with a Mai Tai and admire your progress after a long day of Tiki bar building

Thanks MadDogMike, I really appreciate the encouragement and I need all I can get at this point. I will take your recommendations as sage advice as we move forward on this project.

On another note... I am truly sorry if my username has offended anyone here... it would be the last thing I would want to do. It was obviously poorly chosen without enough forethought to what others within the community might read into it. It was just a poke at MYSELF for knowing others who may cross my path in my life may think I am tacky for celebrating all that is Tiki and the Tiki lifestyle.

For me I think Tiki and the Tiki lifestyle is fabulous and OMG where have you been all my life. I would change my username if I could but I don't see a way of doing that at this time.

Some people just want to be offended, there is nothing wrong with your name. Sometimes tiki is tacky, that’s part of why I love it.

You are only 3 hours away from me! I don’t see many NC tiki phones on here.

BeachcomberNC, I know what you mean... it seems the majority of Tiki folks are on the west coast. I guess that makes sense because that was where most Tiki history comes from.

I unfortunately never got to experience anything Tiki in person growing up. I just know I was always fascinated with the look and atmosphere of Tiki. Why I took so long to decide to get into this hobby I will never know. I guess mainly it is because I was unaware of the Tiki renaissance that has been occurring the last few decades.

I really feel I missed the train with OA closing down. I am truly envious of those who have already been in this hobby for decades and already have their Tiki bars completed with artifacts that were more readily available back in the day.

"I unfortunately never got to experience anything Tiki in person growing up"

That seems so foreign to me LOL Growing up on the fringe of SoCal in the 60s, Tiki was always just part of the landscape. There were at least 3 Tiki themed businesses in my community that I saw on a regular basis. I'm glad you were finally able to catch the Tiki boat

MadDogMike... and this is why there seems to be a much smaller presence of Tiki on the east coast vs. the west coast. I know I can only speak for myself but I just don't think people in the east had a fraction of Tiki influence like those on the west coast... basically the mecca of Tiki.

You think that i'm 'offended' by his username? Hahaha. I couldn't care less what he calls himself. I was just curious as to why he chose that name because IMO it's pretty sad to say you love Tiki but then call it tacky.

E

Tacky, You do you! F everyone else. Have fun. Sounds like you have a big project planned. It’s ok to start small so you can enjoy the success. I can’t wait to see progress.

Thanks... I appreciate the support.

S

Jut chiming in to say glad you're here, from a fellow NC tikiphile! I'm on the other side of the state. And I rent, so building a home bar isn't really a possibility for me yet, though I do dream about it and keep an eye out for tiki stuff around here just in case... looking forward to hearing about your progress!

T

Hey TheTackyTiki,

Looks like we are starting our bar building at the same time, your project seems much bigger. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress and hope you post some pics along the way. I also missed the OA liquidation and started making my own stuff. Have fun!!

Well I still have no pictures to post yet... just a bedroom with most of the walls covered with PNG artifacts still being acquired. The reality for me is that I just about have to have the whole thing decorated in my mind before I even know the spacing on the wall panels. This means I need all of the "foundation" level larger sized wall hanging artifacts acquired first... then and only then can I know the spacing of all of the Lauhala matting panels with trim boards.

I know for myself being seriously OCD this is kind of driving me crazy trying to get almost every detail worked out in advance. As stated here many times before by others who have already made this journey... I need to have all of my wiring figured out before everything is finished up. I have not even purchased the first Lauhala mat yet and I'm already beginning to feel a little exhausted.

It really makes you appreciate even more what others here have already achieved over the years with their painstaking hard work on their own home Tiki bars. I absolutely love this wonderful hobby/lifestyle but sometimes I wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew. I hope I live long enough to see this project completed even to the initial build out. I know a good Tiki bar is never truly finished but I think yall know what I am trying to say here. I need a nap...

Speaking as someone who was in your place seven years ago at this time, I sympathize with the feelings of being overwhelmed and the job being too big to fathom. My advice: Keep in mind that incremental progress, no matter how minor, is still progress. It may seem discouraging on a day-to-day basis but it is surprising how quickly and hour here and an hour there add up to visible changes.

Pages: 1 16 replies