Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help with shield

Pages: 1 8 replies

P

I picked up this shield at the antique market today. The seller thought it was African, but it looked PNG to me. It is huge. 70" x 33" at the top and 27" at the bottom. Any help identifying this would be most appreciated!

IMG_0403

My best guess would be Asmat.

S

Coincidentally this piece with an extremely similar pattern was sold at an auction here in Aus. last week and it was listed as from the Asmat District in Irian Jaya.

306303-1

P

Thanks ukutiki and swizzle! I agree, those are very familiar. I really like the “cannibal” on the top of mine kneeling on the head and the birds on the side. I don’t know much about the Asmat, but would this be considered tiki? Seems plausible.

The carvings and certainly the color palette look very much like PNG shields I've seen. I don't know enough a bout Java to comment on that as a potential point of origin, but it seems to me that the whole Indonesian region incorporates a lot of stylistic elements from surrounding regions, particularly when producing pieces for the tourist trade.

To answer your question "Is this tiki?" well, some purists would say no, because PNG is actually part of Melanesia rather than Polynesia. But then again, rum doesn't historically come from Polynesia and purists don't seem to have a problem with that. Neither does Trader Vic's, as PNG masks are a major component in TV decor--they even sell such on the TV website (when in stock). I wouldn't get too hung up on the authenticity angle, since when Donn Beach started this whole thing his was more of a found decor, beachcomber aesthetic. He'd definitely hang PNG in his place if he had access to them!

Totally what Prikli Pear said. This is a gorgeous, gorgeous piece. Congratulations!

Thanks all! Yes, I am VERY happy with the piece regardless. Just wanted y'all's opinion on it!

I disagree. I think most purists would say that imagery from PNG 'is' Tiki even though it is actually part of Melanesia. Whilst technically the word Tiki and the images of Tikis themselves are of Polynesian origin, the imagery found throughout both Melanesia and Micronesia have always been included in the subculture of Tiki, or Polynesian Pop. Trader Vic's shield logo and what is possibly Oceanic Arts most popular and famous carving are both based on PNG carvings.

That for sure is Asmat. I have a lot from that area. 20230725_141611

[ Edited by HellGhost on 2023-07-25 14:12:49 ]

[ Edited by HellGhost on 2023-07-25 14:22:07 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies