Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TC gathering at Tiki Oasis SD 2023

Pages: 1 2 74 replies

Aloha Tiki Central !! Last year at Tiki Oasis SD (2022) Hamo suggested an organized TC gathering, for everyone to have a day / time and location to meet.

from Hamo

Hamo Posted on 08/12/2022

Okay, everyone--help me remember next year that we should organize some sort of Tiki Central meetup >so that we don't miss each other again.

Hamo and Mele Ipo and I met at Strongwater a while back and had a chance to chat about this idea some more. We thought it would be fun to have a TC meet up, and Mele Ipo and I mentioned that we would gladly offer our room as a meeting place,... if we were lucky enough to get a room. We typically do a room party and have a bar setup available, juicer, bar tools, etc.

PineappleWhip Posted on 10/18/2022 in reply to Hamo

Hamo, I love the idea !!! Harkening back to the origins of the room crawl. We are planning on doing >another room party...as it gets closer, we might offer our room as a meeting place, for a TC meetup?

Good news is that we were successful in getting a room at the Town & Country in the Royal Palm Tower again for this upcoming 2023!! HOORAY !! :) This is the only tower that is approved for room parties. We will gladly offer our room for a meeting place.... if everyone so decides?? If someone else wants to host...please offer, and everyone can decide :)

In following with the hotel and Tiki Oasis guidelines from last year ... any gathering or event that is greater than 15 people needs the approval form filled out....I'm going to propose that we start off with limiting this to 15 people (for now) ... and if we have enough interest, we can fill out the form for party approval for a larger group.

IF...it ends up with enough interest to gather more than 15 people, then, with the approval, we would be in the correct tower to host....or, need someone with a room in the palm tower.

We are proposing Saturday Aug 5 at 12pm "ish". All this can be discussed and adjusted.

The other topic we discussed with Hamo, is to have a spontaneous cocktail, similar to an event from the past. With that previous event, people were encouraged to bring at the minimum 2 limes (or lemons / citrus), ..or... something they want to share (falernum, juices, homemade syrup, rum, spirit, bitters, etc. ????) and that then we could create a spontaneous cocktail with what was available. Not a requirement to bring something, but, certainly fun.....as nobody would know what is being brought until the last moment, and then we would all try to create something on the spot !! What does everyone think about that?

I know Hamo posted the following on the thread .... Tiki Oasis 2023: The Enchanted Sea

Hamo Posted on last Thursday at 9:38 PM in reply to BlackWater

Last year was my first time in attendance, and it was great, which is why I'll be back again.

Watch this space (probably) for an "official" TC meet up announcement. I will look forward to meeting >you and the missus there....

...I wasn't sure whether to post this in that space?? ...or.. create a new topic??, so, someone let me know, I can copy and paste into that one if desired? ..or.. we can leave it here?

Sorry for the long post, but, just trying to cover all the bases :) Thank you for another great idea Hamo !! It would be great to meet up with Tiki Central people that we've chatted with online....but, possibly haven't met in person.

What does everyone think?

[ Edited by PineappleWhip on 2023-06-11 08:26:34 ]

[ Edited by PineappleWhip on 2023-06-11 08:27:22 ]

[ Edited by PineappleWhip on 2023-06-13 11:06:13 ]

Sounds wonderful, let me know what I can bring other than ingredients.

I am alll in! Can't wait to get together with the TC crew and hear some amazing stories. Oh yeah looking forward to shaking some cocktails as well.

Awesome!!! My wife and I plan to be there. The spontaneous cocktail sounds like fun! LOL

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jun 13, 2023 8:20 PM

Well, I might show up....

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jun 13, 2023 8:32 PM

Actually, I was in the shower the other day (?!) thinking about this meetup and wondered about making a poster a la the underground music scene to promote via the community bulletin boards, but that was before I knew anything about the 15-person threshold....

Lol !!! That was from the form last yearโ€ฆno idea if thatโ€™s the same this year. Do we want to make a list to keep track of headcount?

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Jun 17, 2023 5:51 PM

Well, so far, we have six who have expressed interest in this thread:

PineappleWhip
Mele Ipo
Hamo
NautiTiki
Mrs & Mr MadDogMike

And then three more in other threads:

GROG/ernimator
Mrs & Mr BlackWater

GROG most likely not go to Tiki Oasis this year. :(

NOOOOOOOO!!!

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Jun 17, 2023 5:59 PM

Oh, and bamalamalu hasn't expressly mentioned anything but would probably be interested, based on posts in the TO 2022 thread.

Now I need to work on a perplexing ingredient for the cocktailโ€ฆ

Thanks, Hamo! I'm interested - it'd be fun to meet everyone. I'll be sure to check back here when it gets closer!

OOHHH NNOOO !!! no GROG at Tiki Oasis?? that's very sad news :( Maybe there is still a chance !! Here's hoping :)

Hamo I think we're at 9 ppl now? I'd say that's a quorum? ...or... at the very least a fun get together :) there might be a few more by the time we get there.

Mele Ipo and I are getting our schedule together. Should we plan on hosting our room? We have our schedule blocked out for 12 noon to 1pm. We have a seminar at 1:30pm.

Is 1 hour good? Do we want more time? Start it earlier? Not sure if we can make it much earlier for Mrs & Mr MadDogMike.

We are happy to host, but, would love to know what everyone else thinks?

S

I'm interested, but being from the land of Eastern Time, 12PM is 3AM for my brain and I don't generally make it that late. I have never seen any burlesque at To, even though friends performed and wanted me to participate in their acts!

I'll be there in spirit and want to be aware of the room number should I manage to be awake at that time. Crazy Al may be my roommate, so, no telling...

PineappleWhip I can be there any time so we can go earlier if needed. As far as a host room, I think yours would be perfect if you are volunteering.

Swanky good news! We are meeting at noon, not midnight so that is 3pm Eastern time. I would love to get a chance to meet you

S

YEah, I realized my mistake.

I don't have my schedule for the DtB booth yet, but I'd say I can be there.

GROG most likely not go to Tiki Oasis this year. :( danlovestikis most likely not go to Tiki Oasis this year. :)

Hamo you better do this every year.

MadDogMike

Posted on today at 10:59 AM in reply to PineappleWhip

PineappleWhip I can be there any time so we can go earlier if needed. As far as a host room, I think >yours would be perfect if you are volunteering.

Swanky good news! We are meeting at noon, not midnight so that is 3pm Eastern time. I would love to >get a chance to meet you

Mele_Ipo and I had already discussed this and would be happy to host :) Count Us In !!....we will let everyone know the room number when we get it...and will post it on this thread. We have a seminar at 1:30pm, so, we would need to leave at 1pm. MadDogMike if you can be there a bit earlier....we can plan to start at 11:30am?...and by the time everyone finds the room, and we get started, I think we will want more time than 1hr. But, we can let some others chime in for what we want to duration to be?

No GROG and no danlovestikis....that is more sad news.

It will be really fun to meet everyone. It reminds me of stories of the origins of the original Tiki Central Room Crawls, which was started as a way for TC to meet each other !! Kind of like a full circle thing :)

[ Edited by PineappleWhip on 2023-06-21 21:31:49 ]

[ Edited by PineappleWhip on 2023-06-21 21:35:30 ]

I'm posting this just to keep a new tally of interested attendees. ..so we have an accurate count in case it's needed :)

Hamo
Mele Ipo
PineappleWhip
NautiTiki
Mrs MadDogMike
Mr MadDogMike
Mrs Blackwater
Mr BlackWater
bamalamlu
Ted
Swanky
Moai Matt
Maui Mary
Hurricane Hayward
arriano
Cindiluhui
Juan

Total (17)

[ Edited by PineappleWhip on 2023-06-23 09:39:37 ]

[ Edited by PineappleWhip on 2023-06-25 21:31:41 ]

[ Edited by PineappleWhip on 2023-06-25 21:32:18 ]

[ Edited by PineappleWhip on 2023-06-28 07:23:23 ]

[ Edited by PineappleWhip on 2023-07-07 13:26:17 ]

[ Edited by PineappleWhip on 2023-07-07 13:26:31 ]

[ Edited by PineappleWhip on 2023-07-08 11:28:06 ]

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Jun 22, 2023 7:59 PM

Oh no--no Wendy and Dan, either!? Now I really wish I had been able to see you last year. Glad Swanky is planning on coming.

Thank you very much, PineappleWhip and Mele Ipo for offering your room for the TC meetup; I can't think of a more appropriate venue. I also like the idea of shooting for 11:30 so that there's enough time for everyone to gather and mingle before your next seminar.

Aloha! Moai Matt and Maui Mary would like to attend this Gathering. Put us down. Looking forward!

[ Edited by Moai Matt on 2023-06-22 23:52:13 ]

Yes we can be there by 11:30

hang10tiki, CY, TikiAno will you be attending Tiki Oasis this year?

I'd be interested in joining in on a meet-up. It will be my first TO, and I'll be doing a symposium on Saturday. Arriving late Thursday, headed out late Sunday.

Okole maluna!

You have been added to the list !! :)

We are very excited to be going to your seminar Hurricane Hayward !!

Aloha TC Ohana, Pineapple Whip & I have been working diligently to prepare for our room party this year. We are very excited to host another party for this special group. And the group keeps growing! Canโ€™t wait to meet each of you in person! ๐Ÿงœ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐ŸŽถ๐Ÿน๐Ÿ

Looking forward to it. Okole maluna!

A

Interested.

arriano on the list :)

I'm excited! several people who I haven't met before!

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Jun 29, 2023 11:26 PM

Oh man, I'm looking forward to this more and more! Can't wait to see everyone.

Glad to see more people signing up! It'll be fun to meet everyone.

In case you really need a specific count, Ted will probably come with me unless something else is going on at the same time. I'll try to confirm one/both of us being there well in advance, but have Comic Con and Midsummer Scream to get through first!

Sad no GROG or Wendy and Dan this year.

I don't know how to tag people, but based on previous years, I'm wondering if heylownine and ATP will be around?

Here's how to tag people, from the Markdown page:

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 9.23.39 PM

Hopefully heylownine and Atomic Tiki Punk will be attending and able to join us.

Hey guys, sorry it has been awhile since I checked in to TC, Not meaning to ignore anyone's post and questions, just stuff happens man, anyways I will not be at Oasis this year, My better half Jungle Ginger will be vending as always, I haven't gone in a few years, since the family friendly agenda established by the breeder class has altered the adult fun factor, (No I ain't talking about the upside down pineapple crowd, which I recently learned was a thing!)

Oasis for me was always an adult getaway from kid friendly events that dominant every day life as I know it, I live in an area just crawling with rabid Soccer and Yoga Moms and they will cut ya!

Not to mention the high cost of attending, the long lines and sweaty crowded room parties, the lousy food, parking hell, The young Gilligan's Island crowd that just wants free booze, now talking about cultural appropriation! I just want to establish that this has nothing to do with getting older, just stay off my Lanai!

But you nice folks have a great time and don't let any of those kids into your room parties! I will miss the old timers and TC regulars though, many whom also don't attend Oasis any more, but for completely different reasons, right?

[ Edited by Atomic Tiki Punk on 2023-07-07 01:23:32 ]

ATP would it help if we hired strippers for our room party? (Male and female, can't discriminate!) LOL
We'll miss you :(

Hey yโ€™all. I am a bit of a lurker here, but if I had a little liquid courage I would absolutely love to join in the fun and see you all in person. Can you count me in? My husband Juan will most likely be with me too.

I am pretty sure HeyLowNine is skipping TO this year. (Sorry, I am in too much of a hurry to figure out how to tag his profile here)

Juan and I also have a room on property. Hopefully we will get a downstairs room again as we are in the Happy Camper section. Our goal this year is to offer late night Cup Noodles. Nothing like some carbs, water, and salt to keep you feeling decent. Once we have a room number and a plan I will post here in Tiki Central since you will all be invited.

[@bamalamalu} I have added Ted to the list. We are at 15 people. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ YAY!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

FYI, I did hear back from BabyDoe regarding room parties. She is extremely overloaded with work, and especially busy after the passing of her father. She said to follow the guidelines from last year.

That being said....I think we are good even if we add a few over 15 people, but, if this turns into a large crowd, then we might consider informing Tiki Oasis.

For the Spontaneous Cocktail, we will be bringing a bottle that we envision would fit into a cocktail for about 20 drinks. I'm interested to see how this idea works out ...lol.

Cheers !! ๐Ÿ—ฟ๐Ÿน

[ Edited by PineappleWhip on 2023-07-07 13:40:05 ]

Cindiluhui You and Juan are on the list !! This is going to be fun to meet all the TC people, that I've seen their names on TC.... but never met ๐Ÿ˜ƒ. We are excited to host everyone....we are working hard on room decor !!

Cheers !! ๐Ÿ—ฟ๐Ÿน

Cindiluhui You and Juan are on the list !! This is going to be fun to meet all the TC people, that I've seen their names on TC.... but never met ๐Ÿ˜ƒ. We are excited to host everyone....we are working hard on room decor !!

Cheers !! ๐Ÿ—ฟ๐Ÿน

I hear ya, ATP! It's definitely... devolved? We go since it's right here. This may be the last year we buy wristbands though; we'll see how it goes. Sorry to miss meeting you - I always wonder if you're around when I see Jungle Ginger's booth!

Appreciate the mention @Hamo. We won't be at TikiO this year (as Cindiluhui noted). Some of the reasons overlap with what ATP mentions. Also...

We missed 2020 due to the pandemic.

We had tickets to 2021 and then the dates changed and we couldn't change our days off at work.

We had tickets in 2022 and then I got COVID the Monday of the event. And while I understand that the event said no refunds, I thought I'd ask just in case and at worst just get a No in response. Instead I got no response at all.

Mostly it comes down to the Nature Of The Event as it exists in 2023. Tiki Oasis is so established now that it sells out before all of the details are released. And as someone who values the music as much as any other part of the event, I don't feel great about putting down hundreds of dollars before I know the line up. Unfortunately for me, it means that this year I'm missing one of my favorite bands, Man or Astroman?. So it goes.

All of this is not to yuck anyone's yum. I have years and years of fond memories of Tiki Oasis and someday in the future I hope to be back. This year just isn't that year.

Miss you all,

kevin

heylownine I was hoping to meet you. I appreciate all your photos over the years of Tiki Oasis. it has been a help for me in putting together my website.

Hopefully, some other time !! :)

[ Edited by PineappleWhip on 2023-07-20 13:27:52 ]

heylownine - the lack of advance information regarding bands & seminars has been especially frustrating this year.

Sorry to miss meeting you; I still appreciate you selling me your Beachbum tickets last year!

I love late night noodles! Really looking forward to meeting you & every one. See you soon ๐Ÿงœ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿน๐ŸŽถ๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿโš“๏ธ

Oh I love Jungle Gingerโ€™s flowers! I look forward to seeing her at the TO Market place. ๐Ÿงœ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒผโ™ฅ๏ธ

She will be there, our house is a big Hair Flower factory right now, it is like a sequel to "The Day of the Triffids"

All of you folks have a fun time!

Aloha TC Gathering people !! I finally had my chance to chat with Oasis Staff, and got confirmed that our gathering is small enough that we do not need to get approval...and we also do not have to attend a security briefing. So, with that all out of the way....

We are very much looking forward to seeing, and meeting everyone !! ...and very interested to see how the spontaneous cocktail works out. :)

Wishing everyone all the best with their weekend, and see everyone at Tiki Oasis !!

Pages: 1 2 74 replies