Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

101 Years of Stephen Crane Art Swap - DONE!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies

Is this acceptable with the group and prospective swap partner?

We have 3 options;
#1 - We continue the Swap drawing on 8/1 as planned and include Traveling Jones :D
#2 - We delay the drawing until after Traveling Jones finishes his project and do the drawing on 8/5, this could cause problems with anyone swapping at Tiki Oasis on 8/10
#3 - We exclude Traveling Jones from this Swap :(

Traveling Jones has successfully completed 5 Art Swaps (beautiful work I might add) and this piece is obviously almost done. My vote is to continue as planned and do the drawing on the 1st with TJ included. Please feel free to voice an opinion, either here or to me confidentially in a PM if you wish.
Thanks

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2017-07-27 22:26 ]

I agree
Draw on 1st (on a beach) :)
TJ is in (looks done to me)

Plus
I did this already
:)

3 Krazy days left

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-07-28 06:39 ]

:lol:

My vote is for number one. Which beach? I don't think there is a beach in MadDogMikes desert. However he has sand and can make a beach like Polynesian Paddy made.

Wonderful art everyone. PS hang10tiki you have outdone yourself!

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2017-07-28 08:23 ]

H

#1 works for me.

T

Aloha peoples!! Long time no talk to most of you. I've been lurking on this most awesome art swap wondering, wondering if I would have time to do something. I'm gonna give it a shot! I started on this block of wood yesterday and have been burning some midnight oil.

Bad news is I'm gonna be out of town tomorrow night and Sunday. Hmmm.... Well we'll see what happens. Here's what I have so far.

Did you guess what it's trying to be?

Great start BigT! It would be cool if you can get it done, I think we're at an odd number right now :lol:

Wendy- funny pic

HugeT- that's cool
Get er done

How many quacky days left?

T

First off let me say the art for this swap is absolutely incredible! That's why I had to jump in here. :wink:

So it looks like me and TravelingJones racing to the finish line! Well, I got up early this morning (booooo) to try and get ahead of this thing. Good news is I think I'm 95% done!!

Haha, just kidding.... but good progress.

Wow
Stunning

TheBigT it's a complete surprise project. To even think of doing that is special. So glad you jumped in for the swap.

Wendy

How many days left?

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-07-30 05:37 ]

Beautiful BigT! Do you work best under stress? :lol:

:music: :music: The weather is here, wish you were beautiful :music: (Can I get banned from TC for quoting Jimmy Buffett?)
The beach is nice but the internet connection is spotty. My plan is to do the drawing about mid-morning tomorrow MBT (Mexican Beach Time), we'll see if the internet connection cooperates :o

C
cy posted on Sun, Jul 30, 2017 8:28 AM

That is looking too cool BigT!

On 2017-07-30 08:24, MadDogMike wrote:
My plan is to do the drawing about mid-morning tomorrow MBT (Mexican Beach Time), we'll see if the internet connection cooperates :o

Are you doing the drawing on Monday or Tuesday? What I'm really asking is the last day to complete the projects today or Monday?

T

Hey guys, all done! Well I just need to stain it. Do I have a little time tomorrow to stain? I thought the time constraint was last day of July? :P

If so, I'll stain in the morning and be ready to goooo!

HugeT- wow
Came out great
What tool ate the middle of the bowl?
Very Kool

Yes, what tools do you use to carve like that. I would love to learn how to do what you do.

John

TheBigT I think it was changed to August 1st so that Traveling Jones could also participate. I hope so. Wendy

T

Thanks guys. The bowl was hollowed out with a rounded carbide blade on an angle grinder. That was the easy part! LOL :P

I'll post of pic of the blade later.

So cool BigT!!!

Wendy and Mauka, I will be drawing on Tueday 8/1. The Swap is set to end 7/31 so I have always taken that to mean 7/31 is the last day to finish. I will be drawing Tuesday morning about 10 Pacific time assuming I can get an internet connection. I tried to get on a few times today and wasn't able to log on :(

Looks like we are working on 14 Swap participants this time!

Gellhorn - "There's a lot of rum in this rum"
Hemingway - "In this joint they don't drink to get drunk, they drink to stay drunk"

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2017-07-30 20:35 ]

Got it MadDogMike. We will all be sad when it ends and hang10tiki is not having fun with your animated face. Love them all, Wendy

T- thanks for the tool info
Mike- funny, didn't notice last day of swap is on "Black Tot Day"
Wendy- don't worry, I'll still plaster Mikes face all over

Have fun Mike

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-07-30 21:09 ]

Exactly! :lol:

Just under 18 hrs to go...

Here it is, waiting for a new home.

My attempt at a glamour shot.

T

Awesome work everyone. Love all the ceramic stuff!

Here's the bowl with stain. Before shipping, I will add a wash coat of shellac and a coat of lacquer. Thanks for letting me jump into this one!!!

To answer the earlier question about hollowing out the bowl, here's the tool I used. It's a Kutzall brand grinding wheel in my angle grinder. Also shaped the initial outside of the bowl with a flatter grinder wheel. These metal wheels are kind of expensive but last way longer than the paper and cardboard wheels available. If you really wanted to get all fancy you would probably want to turn the inside of a bowl like this on a lathe and get a really nice symmetrical bowl. Plus you could get a deeper cut inside than what I was able to do with the wheel.

Those both look awesome!!!!!

Here's what we've got now. Am I missing anyone? Is there anyone else coming in with a last minute project? Can someone else please look through the posts and see if there was someone else? I don't want to miss anyone. I usually list them in alphabetic order and poor ZeroTiki always ends up at the bottom. So I'm reversing this time :lol:

ZeroTiki - Finished

Tu - Finished

Travelin' Jones - 97% Done

TikiAno - Finished

TheBigT - Finished

Mauka Hale - Finished

MadDog Mike - Finished

Joshua Bell - Finished

Hiltiki - Finished

hang10tiki - Finished

danlovestikis - Finished

Cy - Finished

anthonymaye - Finished

Aloha Station - Finished

Gellhorn - "There's a lot of rum in this rum"
Hemingway - "In this joint they don't drink to get drunk, they drink to stay drunk"

Mauka and BigT- very Kool
Glad all done
Awesome swap u guys

46min to go......

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-07-31 23:14 ]

Ummmm
What time do you guys think our fearless leader will wake up?

I'm up!!!

Joshua Bell (received) swaps with Cy (sent)

Hang10Tiki (received) swaps with danlovestikis (received) Haven't you guys already swapped a hundred times? :lol:

MaukaHale (received) swaps with TU (received)

Traveling Jones (received) swaps with TheBigT (recieved)

Aloha Station (received) swaps with ZeroTiki (received)

Hiltiki (received) swaps with AnthonyMaye (received)

TikiAno (received) swaps with MadDog Mike (received)

I even made a video for you :D

Thanks Hang10Tiki for the mash-up pics :wink:

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2017-08-21 13:19 ]

Woo-hoo!

Well done everyone and thanks Mike for coordinating. And providing the video evidence - I wish I had watched before I read the list just to draw out the suspense!

1st swap with Wendy
Awesome

Mike
Just wanted to say:
You are the man
Thanks for running the swap
And the video was awesome

Wendy- no shipping, see you at Oasis
Yaaaaaaaaaa

C
cy posted on Tue, Aug 1, 2017 10:22 AM

Sweet, I'm excited to get JB's entry, thanks so much Mike for again being the Master of Ceremonies, always fun!

H

This was an exciting project, love my exchange piece, thank you Anthonymaye, and thank you Mike for running the show. Looking forward to more in the future.

M

Mike,

Thank you for keeping the swap alive. I have to say I've created things I would have never created before without this opportunity. I studied art in high school and college but after college that was the end of it until I jumped into the art swap.

Tu I look forward to seeing your paintings.

I can't believe that I forgot to check until NOW!!! I was super busy today so it's really fun to have a surprise at the end.

hang10tiki this is so special after all the swaps that have passed. We will be at Oasis on Saturday at the 1 PM artists reception where the art is hung. I will bring your mug there. I hope you'll bring my treasure. Love trading with you.

Thank you MadDogMike. This has been another super fun swap. You do them so well. When is the next one????

Hugs to everyone you all outdid yourselves. I'm so happy. Wendy

What a great video. That was super fun too! Wendy

Next swap I’m definitely going to be in. This looks like such fun. Gotta put my year of college ceramics courses to use somehow!

Wendy- see u there
Swap buddie

SsweeetT, BigT! Awesome swap!!

Mahalo'z for allowing me to finish my project and be a part of this fabulous art swap! When I return I'll get this piece wrapped up, photo posted and shipped out to BigT!!!

Shaka shoootz! :drink:

T

On 2017-08-02 00:26, TravelingJones wrote:
SsweeetT, BigT! Awesome swap!!

Mahalo'z for allowing me to finish my project and be a part of this fabulous art swap! When I return I'll get this piece wrapped up, photo posted and shipped out to BigT!!!

Shaka shoootz! :drink:

Hey TJ - fortuitous swap? We both needed time to make a slight tweak right at the end. No worries. Your new bowl is drying and I'll splash some clear coat on it before I ship. :)

T
TU posted on Wed, Aug 2, 2017 5:53 AM

Sweet!

Such a fun Swap everyone, thanks for participating! Remember to post a picture of you new art in it's new home. Let me know if your art doesn't artrive or if there are any other problems.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 501 replies