Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Lemon Hart 151 is coming back ... AGAIN!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies

K

On 2016-10-02 07:04, hang10tiki wrote:
Vegas dry too
:(

Perhaps the Vegas Tikiphiles can make a road trip.... Ala "Smokey & the Bandit" :wink:

On 2016-10-01 10:46, oroborean wrote:
anyone in the SF Bay area able to find this stuff? none of my usual places have it.

No. It's doing my head in. Most places were shocked when I told them it was back in distribution. No one seems to know.

The Bum says Latitude 29 is sticking with Hamilton, FYI.

K
kkocka posted on Wed, Oct 5, 2016 4:28 PM

Smart move. Go w/the reliable and toss out playing games.

TT

Went to Total Wine in Clearwater last night and they had LH 151 for $32 (unmarked) and both 151 and 86 proof Hamilton. Now if someone would figure how to bring back Kohala Bay.....

[ Edited by: Tonga Tiki 2016-10-08 11:51 ]

Lemon Hart 151 at the North Miami Total Wine clearly showing who they've thrown their lot in with...

Looks like rip-off place Gulf Liquors in Miami Beach has caught the Lemon Hart bug too...

Gulf Liquors: 1681 Alton Rd, Miami Beach, FL 33139
(305) 531-5551

This in this week from Hi Time in California:

I have ordered some and the order is in process. I'll let you all know when/if it arrives!

[ Edited by: arcadiandj 2016-10-20 20:11 ]

[ Edited by: arcadiandj 2016-10-20 20:12 ]

On 2016-10-20 20:08, arcadiandj wrote:
This in this week from Hi Time in California:

I have ordered some and the order is in process. I'll let you all know when/if it arrives!

[ Edited by: arcadiandj 2016-10-20 20:11 ]

[ Edited by: arcadiandj 2016-10-20 20:12 ]

If only the rum in that old bottle were still available :>(

it's true, the california drought is over. just picked up a few from my local jug shop (at a hefty $36 per).

On 2016-10-22 13:10, oroborean wrote:
it's true, the california drought is over. just picked up a few from my local jug shop (at a hefty $36 per).

Geez, what sad placement, right next to flavored Bacardi. Lemon Hart deserves better.

Just got word that Barkeeper in Silverlake has the new 151 in stock for $37. Hopefully Hi-Times will have it soon.

Grab me one while you are up there :wink:

Holy crap, is that the Jug Shop over near Broadway and Van Ness in SF?!? That's a serious trek for me (and a serious price) but I might just have to suck it up because I STILL haven't found a bottle anywhere else.

K

On 2016-10-26 16:37, lunavideogames wrote:
Just got word that Barkeeper in Silverlake has the new 151 in stock for $37. Hopefully Hi-Times will have it soon.

I occasionally buy BG Reynolds' syrups there, but boy do they love marking up bottles of everything.

Just an FYI to SoCal/OC folks, but I think that I may have snagged the last 2 bottles of 2016 LH151 at Hi Time last night, at least it was the last two in their current understock. I asked when they might get more in but was told "the rum guy just left."

On a happier note it looked like they finally restocked the Hamilton 151 this week.

[ Edited by: CosmoReverb 2016-10-27 14:54 ]

On 2016-10-27 10:11, HopeChest wrote:

Holy crap, is that the Jug Shop over near Broadway and Van Ness in SF?!? That's a serious trek for me (and a serious price) but I might just have to suck it up because I STILL haven't found a bottle anywhere else.

Yes, just don't take them all!

On 2016-10-22 15:30, mikehooker wrote:

Geez, what sad placement, right next to flavored Bacardi. Lemon Hart deserves better.

I figured it was next to it's countrymen from Guyana.

Lemonhart 151 is now at Hi Times!!!!

Order today and get 10% off your total order.

Shipping only $10 no matter how many you order (at least to SD it is).

$32.99 or today until 8 PST $29.99

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2016-11-02 17:31 ]

For any of the NYC folks out there, I picked up a bottle of Lemon Hart 151 at Astor Wine & Spirits last week. They're selling it for $32.99 OR $395.88/ Case of 12 if that's more your speed. And they deliver! :)

http://www.astorwines.com/SearchResultsSingle.aspx?p=2&search=07064&searchtype=Contains

L

For some reason, LH 151 comes off much blander than the previous version. I'll be sticking with Plantations OFTD & Hamilton 151 until corrected.

This is a new recipe, so unfortunately, this is what we are stuck with from here on out. I am sure the recipe will change again in 3-5 years and we will wish we had this version back.

I agree, it is like a watered down version of the red.

I have a bunch of the red bottles, plus a few Hamilton 151s. If the new LH really is a dud, then at least we have Hamilton's to fall back on. Is the consensus here really that the new LH is a disappointment? That would be a surprise to me since I recall Hurricane Hayward stating that the Mai-Kai went back to using the new red Lemon Hart, and they have been pretty good authorities on this sort of stuff.

T

Not everyone agrees on which Lemon Hart 151 is the best, so you might as well give it a try and see for yourself.

Personally, I prefer the old yellow label, then the new yellow label, with the red label a distant third. So, to each his own.

I prefer the Hamilton 151 to the new yellow label LH 151, however.

I certainly do not think the new yellow is a dud. It has most of the same flavors as the red, just a little washed out. In my personal taste tests, both LH (new and red) were better than Hamilton's. I tried Swizzles and Cobras Fangs. Others with me agreed that the LH red was the best of the three. I think the new LH will work well in a Zombie, you might not even be able to tell the difference between it and the earlier versions with all the other ingredients.

I do not hate the Hamilton's by any means... I am more used to the LH flavor. The Hamilton's makes a great drink as well, I think they will all have a place in your home bar!

These comments help a lot, guys. I agree with the "to each his own" theory, especially in light of the fact that differences in how we pour and measure ingredients can potentially cause fairly wide swings in how we each would mix the same drink from identical recipes.

Now, having said all that, I think I'll have another drink!

Just an fyi. Hi-Time appears to have restocked.

RB

On the shelves of Costco in Kailua-Kona!

C

On 2016-11-17 18:57, CosmoReverb wrote:
Just an fyi. Hi-Time appears to have restocked.

Yes, I scored a bottle on Wednesday night.. First time I was there and they stock everything.. My new go to shop for booze.. Just a heads up, Total Wine is now stocking it as well.. At least the Brea location..

While everyone is focusing on Lemon Hart, not many have realized that a whole new slew of competitors are coming out of the woodwork vying for the 151-proof/overproof crown. Since Bacardi has officially vacated the category with ending the production of their reputation-stricken 151, there are a lot of new kids on the block.

So, which one will it be?

An 'extensive' blind taste testing is in order here. Not sipped with added water but in the form of a classic Daiquiri for a more accurate analysis. Only mass-produced, commercially available gold or dark 151-proof/overproof rums will be considered for the challenge.

NOTE: The old label Plantation Original Dark Overproof (73%) will be included. The old yellow label Lemon Hart won't be considered as we all know how that would end...

ps. If you believe there are any other 'accessible' and commercially available 151-proof/overproof rums to consider, please advise.

On 2017-01-24 22:10, RumScrummager wrote:
...Since Bacardi has officially vacated the category with ending the production of their reputation-stricken 151, there are a lot of new kids on the block.

Really...geezus what am I going to light on fire now??? :wink:

C

On 2017-01-25 09:12, Loki-Tiki wrote:

...Since Bacardi has officially vacated the category with ending the production of their reputation-stricken 151, there are a lot of new kids on the block.

Really...geezus what am I going to light on fire now??? :wink:

Loki, Trader Vic's makes a really putrid 151 that'll do...

Two things:

1. I just checked and did not see Bacardi 151 shown on their web site.
  2. There is a comment on Reddit indicating it is not discontinued, just on hiatus while they change packaging to plastic bottles. See below. I have no way of knowing if this is true, but thought I'd share it. I guess I could walk up the street to the bottling plant and ask, but the guard probably wouldn't let me in. I should at least make a phone call though.

Found at https://www.reddit.com/r/alcohol/comments/4s93x1/bacardi_151_gone/d57qjb7/
CWinthrop (Moderator)- Professional Drinker - 7 points - 6 months ago
I spoke with a rep earlier this week. She said no, it has NOT been discontinued, just some markets are getting new bottles (thick plastic instead of glass). They're testing the new bottles.*

T

I suggest including the new Hamilton Navy Strength at 57%. It's a blend of Jamaican and Demerara rums and quite delicious.

More on Bacardi 151... The people at Brutalhammer.com say they made a call to Bacardi HQ and it is being discontinued.

*Fans of the famous overproof rum weren’t even given the courtesy of a heads-up. It just suddenly became hard to find. A rumor cropped up on Reddit that 151 wasn’t really being put out to pasture, just temporarily withdrawn for a repackaging. Unfortunately, a phone call from The Brutal Hammer to Bacardi HQ has confirmed 151’s demise. *

https://www.brutalhammer.com/bacardi-151-flames-out/

:(

So sad that this rum is no more. Just kidding, who cares??? I won't miss it, will you?

It will befuddle cocktail newcomers who will continue to find it listed in some recipes. It will be left up to us to help others discover that there are better alternatives to Bacardi 151.

But otherwise, I read a post by one guy who wrote the only thing he used it for was as a solvent to clean his smoking pipes! He wrote that he liked the pleasant aroma it left behind when it dried.

Bacardi 151 won't be too sorely missed, however, it is interesting to note how judicial activism and greed played a major role in its imminent demise; the product had not only gained an abhorrent reputation with Tiki and the craft cocktail community at large, but was mercilessly being abused and misused by almost everyone.

Remember, Bacardi is still a privately-held, family-owned company which really irks the other big multinational liquor houses who have all been bastardized over the years in the name of greed. While Bacardi’s revenue growth has slowed recently, the brand is concentrating on building its portfolio up of ‘other’ products.

All in all, it is a shame that Bacardi was forced to vacate the 151-proof market at a time where its growth potential is greater than it ever was before; we even have bars opening up now called ‘Navy Strength’ and ‘Overproof’ for goodness sakes. However, having a product being entirely associated with ‘ignition’ and not ‘consumption’ was always going to be a huge liability – not least now while Bacardi is still yet to duke it out in court with Pernod Ricard and the Cuban government over Havana Club.

NOTE: Stroh 80, Austria’s version of Bacardi 151 (albeit much more flammable) were smart to re-brand in North America as ‘Stroh 160’ (more confusing, right?) and promote the product as a so-called ‘spiced rum,’ (which its not) which opened it up to being a shooter as well as a premium mixer which could be embraced by the craft cocktail community. Still, the product is even more deadly than Bacardi 151 ever was, but is not regarded as such. Again, perception always becomes reality.

Ps. My last remaining bottle of Bacardi 151 (which I've been safekeeping for the last 6 months) will be kept (unopened) for posterity. If you see one at your local liquor store, be sure to pick it up just for the heck of it. The more 'recent' bottles feature all the silly fire safety notices etc, whereas the older bottles might be considered more collectible.

On 2017-01-25 12:34, RumScrummager wrote:
...as ‘Stroh 160’ (more confusing, right?) and promote the product as a so-called ‘spiced rum,’ (which its not)...

Thanks, RumScrummager. Friendly question here about Stroh 80/160. I consider it a spiced rum, and you write that it isn't. I'd enjoy your thoughts on that point. I've been around it a few times in my life when its been used for cooking. A few years ago I acquired Stroh 80 and Stroh 60 for cocktails when Frankie's published their book with many of their recipes. So that's my basis for thinking of it as a spiced rum despite knowing that it is much older than today's more subtle spiced rums.

Sorry for the thread derail. I'm really interested in RumScrummager's perspective on a very unusual rum.

J

On 2017-01-25 12:45, AceExplorer wrote:
Friendly question here about Stroh 80/160. I consider it a spiced rum, and you write that it isn't. I'd enjoy your thoughts on that point. I've been around it a few times in my life when its been used for cooking. A few years ago I acquired Stroh 80 and Stroh 60 for cocktails when Frankie's published their book with many of their recipes. So that's my basis for thinking of it as a spiced rum despite knowing that it is much older than today's more subtle spiced rums.

Sorry for the thread derail. I'm really interested in RumScrummager's perspective on a very unusual rum.

Interesting. I've never considered it a spiced rum. Maybe because it's so "hot" that I have hard time perceiving anything other than the burn when I taste it. I do get a ton of butterscotch on the aroma, but I get very little of that in the actual flavor. And so I might be convinced to consider it a "flavored" rum, but not spiced.

No more Bacardi 151! Now what am I going to use to clean bugs off my front bumper?

K

On 2017-01-25 12:34, RumScrummager wrote: If you see one at your local liquor store, be sure to pick it up just for the heck of it.

Sounds like a waste of money to me! :lol: From now on, my basic 151 is gonna be Cruzan.

On 2017-01-27 12:25, kkocka wrote:

On 2017-01-25 12:34, RumScrummager wrote: If you see one at your local liquor store, be sure to pick it up just for the heck of it.

Sounds like a waste of money to me! :lol: From now on, my basic 151 is gonna be Cruzan.

kkocka why do you choose the Cruzan over say Hamilton? And what is your most frequent use of the 151 Cruzan? I'm relatively new to tiki drinks and have only used Hamilton and my recently acquired Lemon Hart (which I think I am enjoying more than the Hamilton fwiw). This summer, at the Bootlegger in Palm Springs I was surprised to have had the best Zombie I've ever had-that was made with Cruzan 151! I have yet to try it, as my understanding from the purists is that Hamilton is the new holy grail of 151s for tiki drinks, but "I want to learn more!"

arcadiandj, I believe most people are using Cruzan, Bacardi, and other spanish style 151 rums more as flaming rum for presentation, not the way us tikiphiles use Demerara 151, like LemonHart or Hamilton, as a flavor and proof boosting rum. The light bodied 151 rums are light on flavor where the Demerara 151's and Plantation OFTD are packed full of flavor that mixes well in cocktails. At least, that is the way I understand it.

On 2017-01-28 21:26, LeftarmofBuddha wrote:
arcadiandj, I believe most people are using Cruzan, Bacardi, and other spanish style 151 rums more as flaming rum for presentation, not the way us tikiphiles use Demerara 151, like LemonHart or Hamilton, as a flavor and proof boosting rum. The light bodied 151 rums are light on flavor where the Demerara 151's and Plantation OFTD are packed full of flavor that mixes well in cocktails. At least, that is the way I understand it.

I agree with LeftarmofBuddha. Bacardi 151 brought extra alcohol to a drink, but also a certain harshness which is not found in the better 151's. Therefore it was most often used at my bar for flaming garnishes and little else.

I just checked my local Total Wine and found they did not have any Bacardi 151 in stock, and I did not see shelf space for it.

I suggest avoiding any temptation to use pure grain alcohol (like Everclear 190 proof) for flaming. It is more flammable than 151 and could be much more risky and dangerous to use. I have stocked up on, and switched to, lemon extract which has a mix of pleasant lemon oil and alcohol. I use 190 proof pure grain alcohol to extend the refrigerator shelf life of my syrups.

I'm planning ahead and hoarding my B151 for the Zombie Apocalypse when my local liquor stores will likely have very limited operating hours.

K

On 2017-01-28 14:02, arcadiandj wrote:
kkocka why do you choose the Cruzan over say Hamilton? And what is your most frequent use of the 151 Cruzan?

Hamilton 151 and Lemon Hart I personally reserve for drinks that rely or highlight a quality overproof rum. So for example, if I'm making a 151 Swizzle or a Zombie, I'll use one of the good overproofs. If I'm making a drink where the recipe calls for a spanish style overproof or basically a non-demerara overproof, I'll go with Cruzan. Or, lastly, if I'm making a drink that calls for Bacardi 151 then I'll use Cruzan instead.

There are several recipes in Beachbum Berry Remixed that call for non-demerara 151 and they're called out as (Cruzan, Bacardi, El Dorado). There are certain flavor profiles associated w/the Hamilton and Lemon Hart rums that don't necessarily need to be in certain drinks (smokiness, burnt molasses etc) in my theory. Then again, some people will only put in the top quality stuff when an overproof is called out.

Plus, you have to consider cost and availability of rums too. Red label Lemon Hart is gone, so I reserve that mostly for when I make drinks for myself or really wanna treat friends. Otherwise I might use the Hamilton. Then again, Hamilton is a little costly at times and I have to go to specific liquor stores for it, so maybe the Cruzan will. do. :wink: It's really a matter of preference - this is just my take on it.

Well that took forever

Last Friday I spotted LH151 on the shelf of one of my local neighborhood hole-in-the-wall liquor stores. If they are that successful with marketing the product - that it reaches even the neighborhood mom-and-pop liquor stores - then I take that as a sign that LH151 will be available for a long time to come. Unless, of course, the general public doesn't take a liking to LH151.

Sorry to get back to this thread so late.

This is in response to AceExplorer's query regarding Stroh 80.

Here's my personal take:

Stroh is not even a rum - that is, in the modern sense of the word.

Just like Hum is a botanical 'spirit,' Stroh 80 is an Austrain rum-based 'spirit'. It really has very little to do with rum. For example, how many people actually knew that Midori is cognac-based? Exactly. Malibu is a rum-based coconut liqueur and Kahlua is a rum-based coffee liqueur. Rum is used for a LOT of bases. In Stroh's case, the rum component is merely the slave base. The rum base itself (as one would expect) is quite unremarkable and more akin to paint stripper or de-natured alcohol. 80% of these bases are made from by-products (using special centrifuges) since they cannot be traditionally processed.

However, due to savvy marketing and clever hype, Stroh 80 has become 'Stroh 160' and is now not only a rum, but a 'spiced rum.' Funny that.

Utilizing Jagermeister-worthy ad campaigns to promote the product in North America, including drinking games and slapping 'Stroh 160' labels over the old 'Stroh 80' labels (they didn't bother to pull the old bottles), they are trying to creep out of grandma's kitchen in Austria and appeal to the uber-hip, manbun-wearing North American crowd. Nothing wrong with that at all since ALL spirit companies are really marketing companies in disguise. Grey Goose and Sidney Frank taught us all about that donkey's years ago.

Just so people know, the change from 'Stroh 80' to 'Stroh 160' was only so they could tap into the higher proof/overproof market craze; the larger numbers look more impressive on the bottle you see. Ask any craft cocktail bar or mixologist and 80 proof is 'meh' nowadays.

Finally, the devil is in the detail: if you scrutinize the bottle label, it pretty much lists every ingredient that is (nowadays) considered anti-rum, anti-craft, and almost unethical. Artificial flavour, anyone? How about certified chemicals and colors? Or, how about a healthy dose of FD&C Yellow #5, perhaps?

ps. I actually happen to LOVE the product myself and use it in many of my Tiki cocktails. I sometimes force unsuspecting guests to take a shot too. However, I do not consider it a rum. To me, it is a great 'spike' - something very high-octane in terms of pushing heat, but not flavour.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies