Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Don the Beachcomber's ON THE MOVE!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies

H

Here are some pictures form yesterday, I had loads of fun and enjoyed talking to some of my old friends whom I hadn't seen in a long time.

More pictures coming.

E
ebtiki posted on Sun, May 1, 2016 6:53 PM

Thanks for posting pix from the event! As A TC'er who doesn't live in CA, I love seeing event pix!
Cheers! e.

Thank you to everyone who made it out to this past weekends Tiki Makeke! Save the date, because the next Tiki Makeke is on June 4th! Only at Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach, California!
For the latest news and updates please like our new Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Don-the-Beachcombers-Tiki-M%C4%81keke-1585521998430239/

ABOUT:
We would like to invite the Ohana back to the next Don the Beachcomber Tiki Makeke on Sat. June 4 in Huntington Beach, Ca! Admission will only be available at the doors on June 4 10:00am-3:00pm $10 (cash only). Admission includes a $10 voucher redeemable for food and drinks.
Expect over 50 great vendors, live Polynesian entertainment, and the world's greatest Mai Tai's! Ahhh... tiki paradise!

This is a public event and all ages and admission for children is FREE!
Strollers not recommended.

ENTERTAINMENT:
The Ding Dong Devils
Chief of the OC and the Wahine's Of Atuumai
Kimo "The Steel Guitar Master"

VENDORS:
Soon to be announced!

16278 S. Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
(562) 592-1321
http://www.donthebeachcomber.com

[ Edited by: Don The Beachcomber 2016-05-02 14:24 ]

H

Thank you ebtiki, here is some more pictures.

Don's Tiki Marketplace now sponsored by Vons of Huntington Beach!!! :wink:

The Ding Dong Devils create a wild hybrid musical cocktail by taking a base of Tiki, exotica and Polynesian pop, then mixing it with dashes of fuzzy 60’s garage rock, amped-up rockabilly, tremolo-laden surf, and even the greasy bump and grind music that was used to accompany burlesque performers. As a festive garnish, they add eccentric stereo arrangements of 50s and 60s hi-fi records, featuring instruments such as steel and baritone guitar, xylophone and ukelele. Catch them on June 4th at Don the Beachcombers Tiki Makeke!

[ Edited by: Don The Beachcomber 2016-05-17 14:19 ]

We're having an "UP TO 50% OFF SALE" at the next Tiki Marketplace at Don's June 4th!!!

Pics soon. Shelves, Bars, Lamps, Art, Etc......

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 22, 2016 8:18 PM

Does that mean you put half as much work into making it? :D

On 2016-05-22 20:18, GROG wrote:
Does that mean you put half as much work into making it? :D

Wise ass!

H

We'll also have a "Hawaiian Shirts for the Homeless" box. Donate your used Hawaiian Shirts and I'll personally
give them to down and out Homeless on the streets in DTLA. I did this the other day with a few of mine and they were really stoked!
Everyone in the Tiki Community should do this. Aloha! BB

Tiki Caliente looks forward to being part of the Marketplace again next Saturday.
We will be releasing some very rare test glazes and sold out editions from my partnership from Eekum Bookum of years past.
also,
The last of the Don wHO "Suck on this" Bootlegger/Tiki Caliente Black Mai Tai glasses with exclusive GOLD swizzle sticks.

Mahalo,
W

T

We'll see you this Saturday, June 4th!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 3, 2016 11:08 PM

GROG will be there (with friends), B-Ben to pick up GROG' balck velevet, so don't forget to bring it, you bastard!

YAY! ERNIE WILL BE THERE!
Will be nice to see you
and to be able to share some of our Adventures Down under with you
and all the Ohana!
Will have plenty of hand-painted Poko Onos
some Original paintings for all economic strata of patron
and some new drawings in a cavalcade of sizes and varieties
an explosion of creativity as a result of
our Kustom Tiki! Kill! Kill! Prostitour Down Under
the Fatpack of Doug,Toe,and myself ravaged Melbourne and the Kustom Lane Gallery guests
Such energy,and of course it had to manifest somewhere,right?
So,as a result of such energy and individuals
here are some new pieces
just a crazy with energy and joy from that trip!
Paintings!

Went to the national Gallery of Victoria,chaperoned by the Talented and selfless Matt Bailey...
JUST YOU WAIT ,Folks! took LOTS of pictures for reference!

Drawings!

and a Super enhanced and worked over Kainoa bowl!
ALL of the details lovingly painted over and amplified
for the PERFECT KAINOA BOWL
(the bowl you bring out when the inlaws visit!)

Here it is next to two masks i was able to score at the Melbourne Sunday market..

and here are some details

Nice,huh?
Well...it is called the MOONLIGHT GLOW edition..
Here's why....
Click!

it glows in the friggin dark!
If you get it under a UV or a black light....fuuuuudge!
hard to photograph tho....
Anyways...all this new stuff and some choice treasures
hand-picked from around the studio will be there tomorrow
and maybe a new joke or two....
Ciao!

Vote for Matthew Harper for State Assemblyman! He's 100% TIKI!!!

Trust me! :wink:

Details
Join us on Saturday, July 23rd from 10am-3pm at the Tiki Makeke at Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach!

INFO
Admission is $10 (cash) which includes a $10 Food & Beverage Voucher.
This public event is all ages. Children are FREE! (Strollers are not recommended)

ENTERTAINMENT
Big Poi Combo//Don's Dagger Bar.

Chief of the OC & the Wahine's of Atuumai//Longboard Room.

VENDORS
ART OF DIRK YATES
BAMBOO BEN
BEACH DUDE
BIG TOE ART
BRIAN PETERSON
BUZZ RHINO
CHEERFUL TIKIS
CLEE SOBEISKI
COOL GEE
CULTURE COVE
DELIGHTFUL ACCENTS BY DEE
DOUG HORNE
FANCY FRUITS
FREAKY TIKI
GRIDER CO.
HAWAIIAN IMPORT
JAMES C. MULLIGAN
JOHNNIE VELOUR CERAMICS
JUNGLE GINGER
JUNGLE MODERN CERAMICS
KAPALUA DESIGNS
LEILANI LOVES VINTAGE
METEOR JEWELRY CO.
MIKEL PARTON
MOONSHINE MAMA’S HANDMADE ACCESORIES
MZ FORMALDEHYDE
NELSON'S TIKI HUT
OB TIKI
OUTL1N3 ISLAND
POLY HAI
POWER JIVE RECORDS
RETRO RUTHIE
RON MONSTER
SMOKIN TIKIS
SURF CITY HAWAIIAN SHIRTS
SWEET SIREN DESIGNS
TEE-KI TOGS
THOR
TIKI AL
TIKI BONGOS
TIKI DIABLO
TIKI GONZO
TIKI MONSTER SIDE SHOW SODA
TIKI POPS
TIKI SWAG
TIKI TONY
TIKI TONZ TIKI
TRADER PUP'S OUTPOST
VINTAGE SURF
VIKI'S TIKI MOON ARTS

For More Info Contact: [email protected] or call
562-592-1321

(562) 592-1321

[ Edited by: Don The Beachcomber 2016-06-13 10:58 ]

[ Edited by: Don The Beachcomber 2016-06-14 17:39 ]

Big Poi Combo is a magical, musical Tiki time machine! Hapa Haole to Punk Rock mashed up together in a Big Poi of Hawaiian style fun! Catch them performing live in Don's Dagger Bar at the Tiki Makeke on Saturday, July 23!

I might, just might, have some left over Bahooka items from LA's newest TIKI Bar

"The Pacific Seas" on the 4th floor inside the legendary Clifton's Cafeteria on Broadway and 7th

in Downtown LA, for sale! I'll post pics soon!!!

The real story behind Don the Beachcomber:

In December 1931 a somewhat adrift 24-year-old washed up in Southern California, looking for something to do.

A native of New Orleans, he was named Ernest Raymond Beaumont Gantt. In 1931, Gantt made a living in the Depression economy through his wits and odd jobs—working in restaurants in Chinatown, parking cars and doing a bit of freelance bootlegging in the months before Prohibition ended. Sociable and charming, he befriended such Hollywood personalities as David Niven and Marlene Dietrich, and through them found occasional work as a technical adviser on films set in the South Pacific.

A couple of years after he arrived in Los Angeles, Gantt happened upon a newly vacated tailor shop just off Hollywood Boulevard. He built a bar that would seat about two dozen customers and scattered a few tables in the remaining space. He decorated the place with his South Pacific gewgaws, along with old nets and parts of wrecked boats he scavenged from the oceanfront. He called his watering hole Don the Beachcomber.

Rum was the least expensive of the spirits in that era, and Gantt had sampled a variety in his world travels. He devised an exotic menu of rum-based drinks that complemented his theme and scratched the names on a board behind the bar.

The combination of Gantt’s engaging personality and the novelty of his drinks proved irresistible to his patrons. Among those first drinks was the Sumatra Kula, which cost a quarter. A well-dressed man named Neil Vanderbilt came in one day and ordered one, then another and another. He said it was the best drink he’d had in years. He was a writer for the New York Tribune, and he soon came back with friends, including Charlie Chaplin.

Word of Don the Beachcomber began to spread through Hollywood and beyond. “If you can’t get to paradise, I’ll bring it to you,” Gantt told his customers. (It didn’t work for everyone; in July 1936 a wealthy businessman struck and killed a pedestrian with his car, allegedly while driving home after a night at Don the Beachcomber. The driver was Howard Hughes.)

The joint became so much part of his personality that he legally changed his name. Ernest Gantt was now Donn Beach. He was the inventor of the tiki bar, a new kind of place that, over the next 30 years, would migrate from the cities to the suburbs and beyond.

When World War II broke out, his ship was attacked by a U-boat. Beach was injured, and after he recovered he spent the remainder of his enlistment in charge of hotels and restaurants where airmen could rest and recuperate—on Capri and in Venice, on the Lido and on the French Riviera.

Beach’s ex-wife, Cora Irene (“Sunny”) Sund, was left running the business back in California. She proved as natural an entrepreneur as her ex-husband. When Beach returned home, he found that Don the Beachcomber had blossomed into a Chain with 16 locations. Beach signed on as a consultant and then packed his bags for Hawaii, where he opened his own unaffiliated Don the Beachcomber in an up-and-coming resort area called Waikiki Beach.

His restaurant became an instant landmark, more Hawaiian than most of Hawaii itself. A myna bird presided over the premises, trained to blurt out, “Give me a beer, stupid!” In the boozy intimacy of late evenings, a gentle rain would often begin to patter on the corrugated metal roof over the bar—thanks to a garden hose Beach had installed. (Always the businessman, he had observed that late-nightdrinkers tended to linger for another round if they thought it was raining outside.)

Donn beach remained a fixture in Honolulu until he died in 1989 at the age of 81. The New York Times ran a brief obituary that painted him as a sort of Thomas Edison of the thatched-roof bar and the inventor of 84 bar drinks.

There's so much to look forward to at Don the Beachcomber's Tiki Makeke on July 23rd! You might just want to stick around after the Tiki Makeke because we have some big news!!!
It has been four years since The Hula Girls had their big show with The Untouchables at Don the Beachcomber. July 23rd, we're bringing them back! Hope you can join us!
Tickets here: https://www-donthebeachcomber-com.seatengine.com//shows/36693

(562) 592-1321

[ Edited by: Don The Beachcomber 2016-06-28 11:09 ]

Kimo the Steel Guitar Master will be performing at Don the Beachcomber's Tiki Makeke on Saturday, July23rd! Bringing exotic Island music for your listening pleasure!

EATSHOPDRINK!
Over 50+ Artists & Vendors, Live Entertainment & More! Don the Beachcomber's Tiki Makeke Saturday, July 23 from 10am-3pm.

[ Edited by: Don The Beachcomber 2016-07-08 12:47 ]

Here are a few new thing we'll have at the next Tiki Marketplace only at Don the Beachcomber!

Come and get some Bamboo Ben stuff as we won't be vending Sept and Oct. (Road Trip!)

We'll be blowing out the old stuff too!!

Bamboo Ben style Garnish Tray

Bamboo Ben style Garnish Tray

ALOHA Benches

3' bar with Tapa

3' bar with Tapa

Surf Tiki Routings 7'6"

See you all there!!

I'll have this 3d Tiki Mask ( that I carved 250 years ago) for sale this Saturday only at Don the Beachcomber's Tiki Marketplace.
Best offer gets it! 42inches high and 12 inches diameter. Palm log.

Don the Beachcomber's Tiki Makeke this Saturday, July 23 is the place to be!! Join the Ohana for a fun filled day of all things Tiki. Eat, Shop & Drink!

Eat•Shop•Drink
Let us celebrate all things Tiki! Come explore 'traditional' Island garb and fare at Don the Beachcomber's Tiki Makeke on Saturday, September 17th in Huntington Beach, CA.

This Public event is All Ages. Kids are free!!
(Strollers are not recommended)

$10 Admission(cash) includes a $10 redeemable Food & Drink Voucher.

Entertainment:
•Kimo the Steel Guitar Master
•Big Poi Combo
•Chief of the OC & the Wahine's of Atuumai

Vendors:
Soon to be announced!

"If you can't get to Paradise, I'll bring Paradise to you."- Donn Beach

For More Information & Vendor Inquiries Contact: [email protected] or call
562-592-1321

[ Edited by: Don The Beachcomber 2016-07-25 08:50 ]

Aloha Friends!!! We wanted to let you know that we are bringing back one of your favorite Don's Signature Tiki Mugs by popular demand!!! Stay tuned for more details..

T

On 2016-07-06 10:12, Don The Beachcomber wrote:
Kimo the Steel Guitar Master will be performing at Don the Beachcomber's Tiki Makeke on Saturday, July23rd! Bringing exotic Island music for your listening pleasure!

Yay - Kimo!

A new Bamboo Ben vintage style tiki bar with a Tapa Cloth racing stripe!

Ready now or at Don the Beachcomber's Tiki Makeke Sept 17!!!

See ya'll soon!

Approx. 36" x 20" x 40" hi! 175.00

Here's another Bamboo Ben custom Vintage Style Tiki Bar.

It's the Star Trek 50th Anniversary Tribute Tiki Bar!

Only 175.00! Available only at Don the Beachcomber's Tiki Makeke!!!

We'll have a couple of these routed Tiki panels too.

They are 1"x12"x6ft.

More soon!

Awesome new Treasures Ben!
Here's one of those scraps you gave me YEARS ago
it was finally time....

"Thru Unknown Waters"
acrylic on and bamboo & wood Bamboo Ben creation)
11 x 30"

Hey Ohana!
This and many more treasures will be Available THIS SATURDAY at the Tiki Makeke (Market) at Don the BeachCombers from 10am to 3pm! I'll have some original paintings and drawings,some hand painted versions of mugs and bowls i designed for Tiki Farm,and maybe some prints of the paintings that are hanging at Howie's Tiki in Spring,Texas! Free Puppies and Zika-infected Beach Towels for the first 100 customers! See you THERE!

Here's a 6 ft long Bamboo Ben Tapa Cloth Outrigger hanging Lamp with thatched roof

that we'll have this Saturday at Don's! Sort of modeled after the 8 ft long monster

I did, now hanging at Clifton's Pacific Seas Tiki Bar ( opening sOOn)

G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 16, 2016 12:27 AM

Are you going to have frames for GROG?

On 2016-09-16 00:27, GROG wrote:

Sorry no 8x10 this time.

11x17, 16x20, 12.5x12.5 ( for albums)

On 2016-09-16 00:27, GROG wrote:

You can always pre-pay/order for next time though. :wink:

H

Pictures from last Saturday event. I love going to Don the Beachcomber, Love everything about this place.

the vendors were outside all over the place to greed us, the weather was nice at Sunset Beach.

Love hula dolls, ended up buying a mermaid instead.

This time I noticed they emptied the front room so the vendors could use this room as well.

Dawn Frasier, was here.

more pictures later.

H

More pictures from the inside of Don's.

Going into second room.

More to come.

H

More pictures from inside Don's.

Pictures from the bar

Hula dancers entertaining guests inn the dinning room

Sunset Mike

Hate to leave this place, goodbye ..

It's EZ to see why you like that place so much.

C
cy posted on Sun, Sep 25, 2016 8:46 AM

Great photos hil!

We would like to formally welcome back all of our Ohana & Friends to the very special HOLIDAY EDITION of The Tiki Makeke at Don the Beachcomber in Surf City, CA!

This public event is all ages and children 13 yrs and younger are FREE.
Admission $10 (cash) which includes a $10 redeemable Food & Drink Voucher!

Expect over 50+ Vendors & Artists, Live Hawaiian Entertainment, Island inspired cuisine and our world famous (1930's recipe) Mai Tai!
Get all of your holiday shopping done in Tiki paradise this December 10th!

..With Live musical performance by THE HULA GIRLS!
Vendors:
B-REX
BAMBOO BEN
BEACH DUDE
BIG TOE ART
BOHAUNA
BONEY BETTY
BUZZ RHINO
CHEERFUL TIKI
CLEE SOBEISKI
CRAZY AL
CULTURE COVE
DEADHEAD RUM
DOUG HORNE
FANCY FRUITS
FREAKY TIKI
GRIDER
HART WARMERS
HAWAIIAN IMPORT
HUMBLE POI
JOHNNIE VELOUR CERAMICS
JUNGLE GINGER
JUNGLE MODERN CERAMICS
KAPALUA DESIGNS
KEN RUZIC
LAKE TIKI
LEILANI LOVES VINTAGE
METEOR JEWELRY
MOONSHINE MAMA’S HANDMADE ACCESORIES
MR DANG
MS FORMALDEHYDE
OB TIKI
POLY HAI
POWER JIVE RECORDS
RED BELLE'S BOUTIQUE
RETRO RUTHIE
RICK KESS
RON MONSTER
SECOND CHANCES
SHAWNA TICE
SMOKIN TIKIS
SURF CITY HAWAIIAN SHIRTS
SWEET SIREN DESIGNS
TEE-KI TOGS
THOR
TIKI AL
TIKI BONGOS
TIKI CALIENTE
TIKI DIABLO
TIKI GONZO
TIKI GUY STUDIO
TIKI POPS
TIKI SWAG
TIKI TONY
TIKI TONZ TIKIS
TRADER PUP’S OUTPOST
VICKI’S TIKI MOON ART
VINTAGE SURF
WOODY MILLER
ZEN TIKI LOUNGE

(562) 592-1321

[ Edited by: Don The Beachcomber 2016-11-24 12:26 ]

Turn your very own home into a Tiki Mid-Century dream!! We are pleased to announce that artist "Lake Tiki" from Milwaukee, Wisconsin will be a featured vendor at Don the Beachcomber's Tiki Makeke on December 10th!

[ Edited by: Don The Beachcomber 2016-11-24 12:25 ]

Crazy Al's Big Sea Serpent will be available at Don the Beachcomber's Tiki Makeke on Saturday, Dec. 10th!

On Kickstarter now until Dec. 1st:
http://www.tikimania.com/docs/ALmug_BigSeaSerpent.html

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies