Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

summer art swap: the enchanted tiki room!!!! Ends August 1st

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 427 replies

RVICTOR that's one great mug. Wow!

Freekin sweet

Love that mug RVictor! Welcome to the party!

Jon, you always make me look so manly :blush:

Getting started. Long ways to go still.

Nice Erich!

C
cy posted on Fri, May 29, 2015 8:03 AM

The mug looks fantastic RVICTOR, as well as the lettering on your sign Erich!

R

Thanks for the compliments everyone, I am enjoying doing this one. Some more progress photos today as well...Just some more work on the wood grain, and some clean up/finish work and then it will be ready for firing on Wednesday. That is if it dries out enough by then. Going to have to figure out the glazes this weekend. Another trip to Seattle Pottery Supply? Why not, I seem to be there every other weekend anyway.

What a great looking chalice, RVICTOR!

And your letter looks great Erich!

I need to get a move on!

Wow
Looking great guys

Everyone's swap pieces are looking good.

Here's a few more progress pics

next will be some fire, paint and stain..

Erich,

You must have a very steady hand because those are really precise lines you're carving. Is all of that done with a router?

Thanks. Its all done with a router. hardest part is the tiny lines being too close together and the wood chipping away in between. (Like the middle part of the "A" in Walt)
There are a few wavy lines and bad spots, but paint and stain will cover most of it

I apologize to the person who gets it....One of the bamboo poles on the bottom is chipped out... but I was too far along to start over lol

ErichTroudt that is such a good work of art. Elmer's wood filler works really well for fixing chips. You can sand it or carve it when it's dry. Sometimes it shrinks a bit and needs to have it added twice. Wendy

Thanks. I've tried before, but from my experiences, Wood filler, putty, and even homemade sawdust/glue filler don't mix well with stain. You can always see the difference.
Hopefully the paint will cover it and it won't be that noticeable.

You are right it doesn't work with stains.
RVICTOR I backed up a page and saw your goblet with more steps. That's fit for a king of the island.

Wendy

Erich, looks great. Amazing detail for a router

That's a steady hand Bruddah
:)

I poured a fogcutter mug today so I'll start work soon. Wendy

Go Wendy Go

At a friends workshop to "level" to bottom of my piece

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2015-06-01 07:46 ]

GO Wendy and Jon!!!!!

Wife painted it last. She does a better job than me and actually enjoys it. I hate doing it. anyways.. the paint is done. Next will be scuffin and stainin

Wicked cool Erich!

Everyone's projects look so cool! I'm kinda nervous about mine now. I'll just have to go all out and hope for the best :)
It's hard for me to document my progress. It all looks like a mess till I'm almost finished unfortunately. But here's my design so far, eventually it will be painted onto fabric. I'm still trying to decide if I want to make coasters, pot holders or a pillow. Or something completely different, I have trouble with deciding my final formats.
tikiSwapJuly2015wip by carolyn w, on Flickr

possible fabrics
Possible fabric for tiki central swap July 2015 by carolyn w, on Flickr

Nice design Butterfishes! (damned autocorrect! LOL) We have faith that you will pull it off

bitterfihies my autocorrect left your name alone. Your design and cloth looks promising. This is going to be fun, Wendy

R

Bitterfishies - If I could vote, my vote would be for a pillow. Everyone can tiki-fy a couch quickly with throw pillows. I was surprised that no one did that with the Hawaiian shirt theme this winter. It would have been a slam dunk and totally cool.

That idea so totally rocks - Hawaiian Shirt Pillow! Stitch up the front, leaving the buttons and leaving the pocket open so you have a place to stash the remote!

The bird is the word...

From humble beginnings of recycled cardboard and tape...

And after some skinning and a bake in the oven:

Maybe one more coat of stain....

So very cool Erich. When I first saw the picture I thought it was a finished "glamor shot" with the nice green textured background and the red hibiscus at the corners. Then I realized it was sitting on the ground and those are paint rags not hibiscus :lol: :D :P

Erich- lookin good
Bitter- awesome idea
Joshua- sweet
Erich- wow, ya nailed it bruddah

C
cy posted on Wed, Jun 3, 2015 3:32 PM

Very nice work Erich and Joshua.

Done...

M

Nicely done!

Erich- 1st done
Looks great Bruddah
Job well done
Here comes a great swap.....

Awesome sauce Erich!

Yowza, Mr. Troudt! C'est magnifique!

Minimal update from me today - attached the wings to the bird, and the glue is drying.

Tomorrow the bird gets its permanent perch. (And I need to get cracking, since we're moving house in under three weeks now.)

Thanks all. I'm happy people dig it, I was a little nervous seeing how I'm not an artist, and this was my first swap.

I like the way it came out so much more than the board I made for myself. It made me decide to pull my board down and re-do it...eventually.

Joshua, I'm so looking forward to the end result of your piece. All your other ones have come out so cool.

Erich

Erich the artist- two tiki thumbs up
Joshua- can't wait to see it all together

Erich -

If you look through past swaps you'll see I'm not much of an artist but this group of TCers are amazingly nice and encouraging!! And you're an excellent artist in my book. Your project is fantastic. I'm considering a wood sign as well.....

Assembled! With some friends (and common household decor) for scale:

Did I mention she's tall? And not even as tall as she should be relative to Hina - yikes!

First coat of paint is drying now.

She's looking good. Wendy

Lookin sweet

Base coat:

That's the magic moment when (to me) the paper vanishes and the project becomes real.

Initial paint:

Needs some yellow (beak, feet), detailing in the headband, and the tummy bird.

Thats so cool man.... good stuff Joshua

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 427 replies