Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Updates to The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide on The Atomic Grog

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 433 replies

First off, thanks to Hurricane Hayward for his extensive research on Kohala Bay and its various substitutions!

I've been playing with blends for awhile. I had been playing around with a Coruba/Hamilton Pot Still/Appleton Signature mixture, but when I found out the Mai Kai was using Appleton Reserve, I immediately altered course and came up with the following:

5 parts Appleton Reserve Blend
1 part Lemon Hart 151
1 part Hamilton Black Pot Still Rum

The Reserve delivers most of the rich flavor and the Hamilton brings the funk. It's possible Kohala Bay actually contains (contained) some of the same rums as Appleton Reserve with the addition of funkier pot still varieties.
The LH 151 in the mix is basically to get the ABV in the ballpark without disrupting the overall flavor profile.

The net result: a 91 proof Dark Jamaican that is very close in flavor Kohala Bay and mixes like a champ. There is a missing high note, but it's a subtle difference. The original Kohala Bay would have been proofed down from higher proof barrels of rum instead of incorporating a foreign element like Lemon Hart, so that accounts for the difference.

L

[ Edited by: lll888 2016-11-18 17:50 ]

L

Does anyone know how the El 12/S&C blend compares with Coruba and KB?

I haven't been able to try Kohala Bay but I can get Coruba very easily here in middle Tennessee, thankfully. I can compare Coruba to the Smith & Cross/ El Dorado 12 mix. Coruba is heavy on the molasses and brown sugar with a nice amount of funk. It tastes almost cheap but in a good way, if that makes sense. The SC/ED12 mix is complex, rich, funky in a sophisticated way from the S&C. Coruba almost punches through a bit more with its heavier molasses flavor but the mix definitely stands out in cocktail. Both are great, Coruba is just obviously much cheaper. I have been mixing Hamilton pot still black and Appleton reserve 1:1. A lot of people on here seem to find the Hamilton too funky but I love it as long as it's mixed with something milder.

L

On 2016-11-18 17:39, LeftarmofBuddha wrote:
I haven't been able to try Kohala Bay but I can get Coruba very easily here in middle Tennessee, thankfully. I can compare Coruba to the Smith & Cross/ El Dorado 12 mix. Coruba is heavy on the molasses and brown sugar with a nice amount of funk. It tastes almost cheap but in a good way, if that makes sense. The SC/ED12 mix is complex, rich, funky in a sophisticated way from the S&C. Coruba almost punches through a bit more with its heavier molasses flavor but the mix definitely stands out in cocktail. Both are great, Coruba is just obviously much cheaper. I have been mixing Hamilton pot still black and Appleton reserve 1:1. A lot of people on here seem to find the Hamilton too funky but I love it as long as it's mixed with something milder.

Perfect description! Thank you. Today I made:

1 part Plantation OFTD

Cant wait to try...

I actually just snagged a bottle of O.F.T.D. for the first time today and wow, is it delicious! Should be making something from Hurricane Hayward's Mai Kai tribute recipes tonight using it as the overproof demarara.

L

On 2016-11-17 06:45, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
First off, thanks to Hurricane Hayward for his extensive research on Kohala Bay and its various substitutions!

I've been playing with blends for awhile. I had been playing around with a Coruba/Hamilton Pot Still/Appleton Signature mixture, but when I found out the Mai Kai was using Appleton Reserve, I immediately altered course and came up with the following:

1 part Lemon Hart 151

As mentioned earlier, I made the mix today and gave a Corn and Oil (w/ DYI Falernum ala Keiserpinguin) and Planters Punch a shot. In-fucking-credible. I'm shocked a the level of deliciousness and smells. Tiki nirvana... What we obsess over... man... thank you!

L

On a side note:

'My girlfriend walked into the kitchen and noticed only 1 bottle on the counter. She then yelled sarcastically "looks like someone cleaned up in here!". No, I didn't clean up... I just used one botttle of rum instead of the usual 7 this evening ?. It's the first time I've ever used a single bottle for cocktail night!

Mahalo Quince_at_Dannys for another great contribution! This will definitely expedite my purchase of Hamilton Black, which is hard to find in South Florida. Sounds like a viable alternative to Kohala Bay.

And good to see the other suggestions as well. Plantation OFTD might be the better alternative to Lemon Hart 151 in this blend. Again, I'm still waiting to get my hands on some, but I hear that its arrival is imminent.

Keep those experiments coming!

HH

1 part Lemon Hart 151

The Reserve delivers most of the rich flavor and the Hamilton brings the funk. It's possible Kohala Bay actually contains (contained) some of the same rums as Appleton Reserve with the addition of funkier pot still varieties.
The LH 151 in the mix is basically to get the ABV in the ballpark without disrupting the overall flavor profile.

The net result: a 91 proof Dark Jamaican that is very close in flavor Kohala Bay and mixes like a champ. There is a missing high note, but it's a subtle difference. The original Kohala Bay would have been proofed down from higher proof barrels of rum instead of incorporating a foreign element like Lemon Hart, so that accounts for the difference.

Catching up on tribute recipe updates in the wake of tasting the last of the "lost cocktails" in September at the book release parties for "Mai-Kai: History and Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant."

If you still don't have the book yet, what are you waiting for? You can grab a copy on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2gjd8BV

Or make plans now to attend the 60th anniversary party on Dec. 28, where Swanky will be signing copies and doing another special presentation. We hear there might also be more lost cocktails available. More info here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1246773212034840/

Hanalei Bay was perhaps the shortest lived cocktail from the original 1956 menu. We have seen it on the 1966 and 1968 menus, but it was gone by 1970.

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/11/20/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-take-a-trip-back-to-hanalei-bay-where-zombies-lurk/

Here's our updated tribute recipe ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/11/20/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-take-a-trip-back-to-hanalei-bay-where-zombies-lurk/#tribute

Also featured at the September events was the mysterious and distinctive Dr. Fong, inspired by Don the Beachcomber's classic Doctor Funk.

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/02/03/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-late-dr-fong-has-a-funky-and-famous-history/

There's a fascinating back-story you need to check out, which will explain the significance of the above photo being taken in The Mai-Kai's Samoa Room.

Since tasting, we now have v.2 of the tribute recipe, which now comes closer stylistically to the 1953 version of Doctor Funk by Don the Beachcomber.

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/02/03/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-late-dr-fong-has-a-funky-and-famous-history/#tribute

Okole maluna!

Thanks! Glad it's working for you. I really like your change of using OFTD instead of LH151--keeps the flavor profiles "in the family." I might have to make a batch using that modification.

Like Hurricane Hayward said, let's keep the experimentation going. Tiki Nirvana is within reach for sure.

On a side note---MAN, would I like to get my hands on some Dagger... I feel like a duplicate blend could happen

On 2016-11-18 19:04, lll888 wrote:

1 part Lemon Hart 151

As mentioned earlier, I made the mix today and gave a Corn and Oil (w/ DYI Falernum ala Keiserpinguin) and Planters Punch a shot. In-fucking-credible. I'm shocked a the level of deliciousness and smells. Tiki nirvana... What we obsess over... man... thank you!

Mai-Kai tribute recipes continue to pop at bars across the country. Hanalei Bay was recently spotted in Texas ...

I'm continuing to remove cinnamon syrup from all the tribute recipes. The latest to be updated is Oh So Deadly ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/10/22/mai-kai-cocktail-review-a-delicious-and-oh-so-deadly-treat/

There's also new photos and lots of info, including confirmation of Fee Brothers as the falernum brand used in-house. Oh So Deadly was revamped recently to add a big burst of falernum. If you haven't had it in a few years, it's definitely worth revisiting ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/10/22/mai-kai-cocktail-review-a-delicious-and-oh-so-deadly-treat/#tribute

Okole maluna!

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2016-11-25 09:44 ]

SPECIAL EVENT: The Mai-Kai’s 60th Anniversary Symposia Series & Customer Celebration Party – Wednesday, Dec. 28. Featuring presentations by authors Sven Kirsten and Tim "Swanky" Glazner brought to you by Tiki Kiliki Productions. Plus enjoy dinner shows, live music, and food and drink specials all night. Doors open at 1:30, symposia begin at 2, happy hour at 3:30, signings at 4, live music at 6, dinner shows at 7 and 9:30 (not included in ticket for symposiums! Call The Mai-Kai to make your reservation).

You must buy a ticket to attend the symposia. Available now at http://TikiKiliki.com/ and at The Mai-Kai. For dinner reservations, call (954) 563-3272.

Full event preview from The Atomic Grog: http://wp.me/p1xHjT-3z4

And yes, there will be "lost cocktails" served during this event! Details TBA.

R

I scored some fresh white grapefruit recently and decided to make the Tribute to the Mai Kai K.O. Cooler (July 2015 edition). In addition to the white grapefruit juice I used Havana Club Anejo Blanco (Bacardi), O.V.D. demerara and Hamilton 151.

Wow! What a drink. Very impressed and it has become one of my favorites with this rum / juice combination.

Rick

L

I scored some fresh white grapefruit recently and decided to make the Tribute to the Mai Kai K.O. Cooler (July 2015 edition). In addition to the white grapefruit juice I used Havana Club Anejo Blanco (Bacardi), O.V.D. demerara and Hamilton 151.

Wow! What a drink. Very impressed and it has become one of my favorites with this rum / juice combination.

The K.O. Cooler is a favorite of mine too. I've said it before but it deserves repeating. HH is doing a great service, if you haven't read his stuff, do yourself a favor and check it out, and HH...THANK YOU!!!

Mahalo everyone for the kind words. I promise more interesting updates and recipes to come!

New update on the blog: Anyone attending the the 60th anniversary events on Dec. 28 is in for a treat. The "lost cocktails" menu was just announced ...

Here are direct links to our reviews and recipes:

Last Rites
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/10/29/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-classic-last-rites-returns-from-the-grave/

Impatient Virgin
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/09/28/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-uncovering-the-influential-impatient-virgin/

Demerara Float
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/09/07/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-classic-demerara-float-rises-again/

Also added is info on the recent Broward County proclamation of "Mai-Kai Day" ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/12/01/the-mai-kai-turns-60-with-special-history-presentations-celebration/

I've been hinting at something big to reveal, so here we go. Research is still ongoing, but I thought it would be cool to get the word out before the 60th anniversary …

BREAKING COCKTAIL NEWS: Three secret mixes that date back to Don the Beachcomber and Mariano Licudine have returned to The Mai-Kai's bars

In September, managing owner Dave Levy revealed that three of The Mai-Kai's old secret mixes, which were originally created by mixologist Mariano Licudine in the early days of the restaurant based on similar Don the Beachcomber mixes, are back in operation and being featured in multiple cocktails.

Just a bit of background for those who may not know the arcane history of Tiki cocktails: In the 1930s, when Donn Beach (aka Don the Beachcomber) created the template for faux Polynesian tropical cocktails that we all know and love, he put a great deal of effort into keeping the recipes secret. This included putting ingredients in unmarked bottles so his bartenders couldn't take his recipes and use them elsewhere. Licudine worked for Beach as far back as 1939 in Hollywood, Calif., so when he came to The Mai-Kai in 1956 from the Don the Beachcomber in Chicago, he employed a similar system. Remarkably, it's still followed to this day in The Mai-Kai's back bars, which are hidden from view just as Donn Beach did ...

Bartenders working in The Mai-Kai's back service bar in January 2016. (Photo by Hurricane Hayward)

One of Beach's other innovations, among many, was to feature esoteric syrups and mixes in his cocktails. The recipes to these blends of flavors were typically only known by Beach and a few key barmen. He went as far as to have them made off-site by a third party to avoid having anyone crack the code. They typically had cryptic names such as Don's Mix or Don's Spices #2. We can thank Beachbum Berry for revealing those in Sippin Safari in 2007. The biggest revelation was Don's Mix, a key ingredient in the legendary Zombie. The real original recipe remained secret for more than 70 years until Berry was able to determine that it included Don'x Mix, a blend of 2 parts grapefruit juice and 1 part Don's Spices #4. Beach had ingeniously double-coded that mix, but Berry was able to determine that #4 was actually cinnamon syrup. The rest is history, and the original Zombie featuring Don's Mix is now served at bars across the globe.

Don's Spices #2, is also a popular mix, combining equal parts vanilla syrup and pimento liqueur, as published in Sippin' Safari. In trying to figure out The Mai-Kai's recipes over the years, I came to the conclusion that some variation of Don's Spices #2 (a sweeter version of pimento dram) is probably used in such iconic drinks as the Black Magic, Special Planters Punch, Yeoman's Grog, and Deep Sea Diver. I also assumed that Don'x Mix was employed in the Zombie and other classic drinks. But this assumption was debunked by general manager Kern Mattei back in June 2015 and I've been updating the many drinks that I assumed featured cinnamon. Most are done, but a few (Black Magic, Mutiny, The Hukilau, Kona Coffee Grog, Hot Buttered Rum) remain and will be updated in due time. It's unclear if Licudine ever used cinnamon or his own version of Don's Mix, so we don't know the history. But Levy is known to not like cinnamon syrup, and it has been banished during his tenure, which began in 1989 when his stepfather Bob Thornton passed the torch.

An 1958 ad featuring Mariano Licudine

As keeper of The Mai-Kai's secret recipes, Levy is also by proxy the keeper of Don the Beachcomber's secret mixes. Or at least the Thornton-Licudine version of them. So it was very exciting news to hear of the return of not one but three apparently long-dormant mixes. Levy said that missing ingredients were recently acquired, and an expert was retained, to help him bring back versions of the mixes that may not be 100% true to the originals, but taste very similar. According to Levy, only he and his source know exactly what's in these exotic mixes.

According to Berry in Sippin' Safari (due for its 10th anniversary re-release next year), Donn's mixes were made secretly by the long-defunct Astra Company in California. Tim "Swanky" Glazner, author of Mai-Kai: History and Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant, has revealed that The Mai-Kai used the same source. Levy told me that The Mai-Kai's secret mixes have only been changed twice. Once, I assume, was when the Astra Company went out of business. The other, presumably, is this recent update. It's unclear how long these mixes have been sidelined. I don't recall any of the drinks that I'll soon reveal tasting the way they do now at any point over the past 10 years.

Unmarked bottles in The Mai-Kai's back service bar spotted in January 2016. (Photo by Hurricane Hayward)

So enough buildup and suspense. Please welcome back secret mixes #4, #5 and #7 to The Mai-Kai. So what's in them, and what drinks feature them, you may ask. Not so fast. First, a little background about each, and details on what I know so far. Research is still ongoing, so you'll have to be patient. Also, it's worth noting that we're not claiming to have cracked any codes. Mssrs. Levy and Mattei are happy to throw me a few clues, answer a few questions and (if I'm lucky) confirm which drinks are affected. It's up to me to attempt to recreate the flavors.

#4 - No relation to Don's Spices #4, of course. It does have lineage that can be traced back to Donn Beach. It's also mentioned in Swanky's book on pages 14, 28, 138 and 141. I've confirmed its presence in just one cocktail so far, so we're hoping to determine if it's in any others before I can make an accurate guess on what it may include. But I think I may have a good lead.

#5 - This is a mysterious one. I don't think I've seen any references to a Don the Beachcomber mix by this name. It's used in only two cocktails at The Mai-Kai, both on the sweet side but with different flavor profiles. I need to do some more research on this as well.

#7 - This is the one that will be of most interest. It's featured in five strong and one mild cocktail, and I've nailed down an approximation of the flavor profile. I'm in the process of updating all the recipes and hope to post all the updates by the 28th, in time for the 60th anniversary. I believe this can be traced directly back to Don the Beachcomber since he used something called #7 in his version of at least two of the same drinks. It's referred to on pages 14, 16, 31 and 138 of Swanky's book, plus page 166 of Sippin' Safari. It's unclear, however, how close the current #7 is to either Don's mix or Licudine's previous versions. Levy tells us his flavor expert came as close as he could, but it's not exactly the same as it used to be. When I told him what was in my attempt at a tribute, he pooh-poohed. But Mattei later told me that while my version is different, the flavor should come close.

First up, Bora Bora, aka Don the Beachcomber's Donga Punch ...

The Bora Bora in The Molokai bar in October 2016, shortly after receiving an upgrade with the inclusion of Mariano’s Mix #7. (Photo by Hurricane Hayward)

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/31/mai-kai-cocktail-review-bora-bora-is-not-for-the-timid/

There's now a third version of the tribute recipe featuring #7 ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/31/mai-kai-cocktail-review-bora-bora-is-not-for-the-timid/#tribute

It includes details on how to make the mix, plus tasting notes and all the previous recipes for reference. There's no guarantee #7 will stay in service, but it certainly gives Bora Bora an extra kick of flavor.

Stay tuned for updates on the other drinks now featuring this classic ingredient returning from the grave to spice up our beloved cocktails.

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2016-12-21 23:45 ]

Amazing work as usual. I may have had the Bora Bora at my wedding but I don't recall it (I was primarily consuming Swizzles for like 8 hours that day before deciding to explore the menu further) and it's not one I've attempted at home. Looking forward to trying the new recipe.

Any idea the life of Fee Bros Falernum? I stopped using my bottle maybe a year or so ago when I started making my own. It doesn't look like it's turned.

Mahalo Mike!

Not sure about the shelf life of Fees falernum but it's pretty long. I've had bottles last a good 6-8 months, though it's usually better when it's fresher. We recently did a falernum taste-off. I'll have to post the results. I know people knock it, but I think it came out on top.

On 2016-12-21 15:00, mikehooker wrote:
Amazing work as usual. I may have had the Bora Bora at my wedding but I don't recall it (I was primarily consuming Swizzles for like 8 hours that day before deciding to explore the menu further) and it's not one I've attempted at home. Looking forward to trying the new recipe.

Any idea the life of Fee Bros Falernum? I stopped using my bottle maybe a year or so ago when I started making my own. It doesn't look like it's turned.

Moving right along to the next cocktail updated to feature Mariano's Mix # 7 ... the Zombie

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/11/01/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-theory-of-evolution-of-the-zombie/#update

The update includes some more background on Donn Beach and Mariano Licudine, including some info gleaned from Swanky's "Mai-Kai: History and Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant." The book refers to something known as "Don’s Spices #7" as being "crucial to the Zombie and other signature cocktails." Could The Mai-Kai's Zombie now be even closer to Beach's original?

The updated recipe (v.3.0) is actually now the fourth version of the tribute ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/11/01/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-theory-of-evolution-of-the-zombie/#tribute

In addition to #7, there were quite a few other tweaks: Lime juice was increased and lemon juice was eliminated. Passion fruit syrup was reduced and Pernod was dropped since #7 now provides both sweet and anise flavors. Gold rum was replaced with white rum, and the 151 rum was increased from 1/2 to 3/4 ounce.

The extra flavor turns this already outstanding cocktail up another notch.

As of Dec. 24, the special presentations on Dec. 28 are sold out. To get on the waiting list in the event of a cancellation, email [email protected]. If you miss out, you can still attend the book signing afterward and enjoy the lost cocktails in The Molokai. Early happy hour starts at 3:30. Mele Kalikimaka!

The long-overdue recap of the 60th anniversary festivities and related imbibing ...

On Tuesday night (Dec. 27), some special guests arrived ...

Sven Kirsten and Christie "Tiki Kiliki" White

We made sure to take advantage of the new photo op created by Will Anders ...

Click here for more on Hiroa Nui:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/12/28/new-giant-carved-tiki-added-to-the-mai-kais-outdoor-garden-in-time-for-60th-anniversary/

On Wednesday, we were back at The Mai-Kai bright and early for the 60th Anniversary Symposia Series & Customer Celebration Party. The first thing on our agenda, naturally, was the lost cocktails menu ...

Front:

Back:

We sampled the Impatient Virgin while waiting for Sven's symposium ...

Tiki Kiliki introduced Sven, who gave us a fascinating look at the iconic cannibal carvings:

I then had the honor of introducing Tim "Swanky" Glazner ...

Swanky spent some time explaining the intricate connection between The Molokai bar and the 1962 film "Mutiny on the Bounty," which isn't included in his book ...

Mahalo to Nik Satterfield for the excellent A/V support ...

It was then time to try the other lost cocktails, the Demerara Float and Last Rites ...

Along with surf guitarist Skinny Jimmy Stingray, who has great taste in T-shirts ...

Our evening concluded with dinner and the debut of the 2017 show from the Polynesian Islander Revue ...

As Rose Marie performed all night in The Molokai ...

Hiroa Nui seemed to be pleased ...

Lots more photos posted on the main Mai-Kai thread ...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10334&forum=2&start=last&368

Events, music, art, cocktails, culture

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2017-01-15 23:41 ]

Next up, a re-examination of the lost cocktails ...

The Demerara Float was exactly as we remembered it from Swanky's book release party in September, so no need to elaborate. Here's the full back-story, reviews and recipes:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/09/07/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-the-classic-demerara-float-rises-again/

The Impatient Virgin, which hasn't been served since The Hukilau 2013, also stuck close to the same recipe. It's worth noting that this classic cocktail was served strained into a martini glass this time around, which is similar to its original configuration. So I revisited the tribute recipe to confirm its accuracy ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/09/28/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-uncovering-the-influential-impatient-virgin/

The one surprise of the trio was Last Rites, which also made its last official appearance in June 2013. I had the opportunity to taste it again in 2014, but there was a distinctive difference this time around. A burst of rich molasses flavor that had me perplexed. Other people I asked tasted the same flavor, which we originally thought was a molasses syrup. But there was no historical precedent for that particular ingredient, so I was left scratching my head until I talked to owner Dave Levy. He revealed the secret: Not a syrup, but a rum: Of course, it's Cruzan Blackstrap. He said they added this distinctive spirit to spice up the rum blend, and indeed it does that. I like both versions, which are now both featured as tribute recipes ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/10/29/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-classic-last-rites-returns-from-the-grave/

Okole maluna!

Following the 60th anniversary party, there were a few more nights of revelry as 2016 wound to a close. On Friday, Skinny Jimmy welcomed Sven and I (plus our significant others) to his Tikified rehearsal space ...

Which, of course, included some Tiki mixology ...

And guitar-slinging ...

Then, on New Year's Eve, we were back at The Mai-Kai, where we tipped back a few Yeoman's Grogs ...

And rang in 2017 ...

Okole maluna and happy new year!

The Black Magic makes another appearance at Hidden Harbor in Pittsburgh ...

Had a Black Magic while relaxing tonight in The Molokai ...

... then went home and continued to tweak the tribute recipe. Getting close to a full update.

I made a weeknight Black Magic last night. I needed to avoid caffeine on a 'school night' so I used a dark roast instant decaf and made it triple strength. It made a very serviceable Black Magic. This is what I used:

https://www.amazon.com/Nescafe-Clasico-Decaf-Ounce-Jar/dp/B0052OOM3U

I'm still using cinnamon syrup in my Black Magics (and boy is it delicious). I'm eagerly awaiting an update on the tribute recipe for the Mai Kai's BM sans cinnamon.

L

Question:

If there were 3 Mai-Kai cocktails to try, what would they be? In all honesty, I've been underwhelmed with what I've tried.

On 2017-03-01 12:48, lll888 wrote:
Question:

If there were 3 Mai-Kai cocktails to try, what would they be? In all honesty, I've been underwhelmed with what I've tried.

You're underwhelmed with the tribute recipes or the drinks actually served at the Mai Kai?

I personally think Hurricane Hayward's 151 Swizzle V4 is the finest cocktail I've ever had. Other favorites are the Cobra's Kiss and Jet Pilot, both made with John English red fassionola. And you can't go wrong with the Rum Barrel. Or the Big Bamboo (be sure to use fresh squeezed white grapefruit though.)

For me the Black Magic, Mutiny, and Yeomans Grog, followed closely by the Barrel o Rum & Zombie. Hurricanes recipes are a revelation. I like some more than others, but can't say I've ever been underwhelmed by any.

HH- just made the Demerara float
(I used a lil less lime as I usually do)
Awesome
Thank you

Jon

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-03-01 20:21 ]

On 2017-03-01 12:48, lll888 wrote:
Question:

lll888, I'm guessing you're mixing at home and not visiting The Mai-Kai. If it were the latter, I stick by my posted ratings:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/
Everything in the Top 20 is outstanding.

Unfortunately, in a home bar, it's not possible to totally duplicate some of the secret mixes, unique juices and rums, not to mention the experience (see: Mystery Drink). But I'd recommend these as my Top 5 to make at home:

151 Swizzle:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/03/mai-kai-cocktail-review-robust-flavors-and-potency-are-hallmark-of-151-swizzle/#tribute

Special Planter's Punch:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/09/15/mai-kai-cocktail-review-special-planters-punch-is-tropical-drink-history-in-a-glass/#tribute

Jet Pilot:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/02/07/mai-kai-cocktail-review-jet-pilot-soars-over-its-ancestors-with-flying-colors/#tribute

Yeoman's Grog:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/12/12/mai-kai-cocktail-review-even-landlubbers-can-appreciate-a-strong-ration-of-yeomans-grog/#tribute

Cobra's Kiss:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/11/20/mai-kai-cocktail-review-cobra-kiss-is-an-exotic-taste-explosion-guaranteed-to-strike-your-fancy/#tribute

I've got some updates in the works - including new Black Magic, Mutiny and Hukilau recipes - so stay tuned.

Okole maluna!

M

I was just down there, finally able to take my 8yr olds there for the Sunday show. They loved it.

I was able to obtain some provisions unavailable here in Atlanta while down there, OFTD, Lemon Hart 151 and a couple others. I think I might need somebody willing to put together care packages to ship north, LOL.

Anyways, maybe this has been discussed elsewhere and if so, point me there. What do you think of OFTD as a sub for Kohala Bay?

On 2017-03-12 17:30, mmaurice wrote:
I was just down there, finally able to take my 8yr olds there for the Sunday show. They loved it.

I was able to obtain some provisions unavailable here in Atlanta while down there, OFTD, Lemon Hart 151 and a couple others. I think I might need somebody willing to put together care packages to ship north, LOL.

Anyways, maybe this has been discussed elsewhere and if so, point me there. What do you think of OFTD as a sub for Kohala Bay?

OFTD on its own is not a good sub for KB, it's alcohol content is too high and it does not have enough Jamaican rum in it. There's some good discussion about subs here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=45641&forum=10&start=105

On 2017-03-12 17:30, mmaurice wrote:

As a matter of fact, I'm playing around with a combination of OFTD and the new Plantation Dark, which is heavy on the Jamaican funk, as a possible Kohala Bay sub. I'd like to get this figured out before I update any more recipes. My initial thought is that it has a good chance of cracking the top three:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#kohala-bay-substitutes

If anyone has access to these, I'd like to invite you to join me in figuring out the best proportion. I started with 3 parts of the 80 proof and 1 part of the 138 proof. But this is around 94-proof, which is closer to Dagger's 97 than it is to the 87.6 of Kohala Bay. It would need to be a 6:1 mix for that, which might not be as punchy, and definitely less dark. Let me know if anyone does any experimenting.

Aloha, Hurricane! This is Tim from Tennessee who has messaged you on facebook messenger a bit asking about OFTD, Hamilton's Jamaican rums, and your tribute recipes. I do have both these rums and enjoy them but sadly am unable to compare them directly with Kohala Bay, having never tried it. I've been able to try many of your suggested substitutions and like you mentioned, the plantation dark is a little light and subtle compared to the flavors built up by the other subs. I've been mixing Coruba, Hamilton Black, and OFTD in a ratio of 2:1:1/2 respectively and it has been delicious. I feel it is very similar to the Smith and Cross/El Dorado 12 mix in it's richness and ability to standout in a cocktail. I saw that the new Lost Spirits Navy Style 61% is touted as tasting like smith and cross meets el dorado but that is significantly higher proof than Kohala Bay. Even if I never get to try the real deal, which appears to be more and more likely as time goes on, it has been a lot of fun chasing after this flavor profile which is easily my favorite.

Remind me, what's the proof on Kahalo Bay?

On 2017-03-19 13:59, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
Remind me, what's the proof on Kahalo Bay?

It's 87.6 proof.

I've just thrown a hand grenadine into the KB subs mixture. More to follow:

M

As a matter of fact, I'm playing around with a combination of OFTD and the new Plantation Dark, which is heavy on the Jamaican funk, as a possible Kohala Bay sub. I'd like to get this figured out before I update any more recipes. My initial thought is that it has a good chance of cracking the top three:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/#kohala-bay-substitutes

If anyone has access to these, I'd like to invite you to join me in figuring out the best proportion. I started with 3 parts of the 80 proof and 1 part of the 138 proof. But this is around 94-proof, which is closer to Dagger's 97 than it is to the 87.6 of Kohala Bay. It would need to be a 6:1 mix for that, which might not be as punchy, and definitely less dark. Let me know if anyone does any experimenting.

Can't get either of those in Atlanta. How about mailing a couple this way?

On 2017-03-19 09:59, LeftarmofBuddha wrote:
Aloha, Hurricane! This is Tim from Tennessee who has messaged you on facebook messenger a bit asking about OFTD, Hamilton's Jamaican rums, and your tribute recipes. I do have both these rums and enjoy them but sadly am unable to compare them directly with Kohala Bay, having never tried it. I've been able to try many of your suggested substitutions and like you mentioned, the plantation dark is a little light and subtle compared to the flavors built up by the other subs. I've been mixing Coruba, Hamilton Black, and OFTD in a ratio of 2:1:1/2 respectively and it has been delicious. I feel it is very similar to the Smith and Cross/El Dorado 12 mix in it's richness and ability to standout in a cocktail. I saw that the new Lost Spirits Navy Style 61% is touted as tasting like smith and cross meets el dorado but that is significantly higher proof than Kohala Bay. Even if I never get to try the real deal, which appears to be more and more likely as time goes on, it has been a lot of fun chasing after this flavor profile which is easily my favorite.

Aloha Tim! When I get ahold of Hamilton Dark, I'll let you know what I think. Your blend seems very close to jokeiii's 5:1:1 blend of the same rums. I was actually at The Mai-Kai the night Ed Hamilton brought that rum by to sample, but it was considered way too funky on its own as something they'd want to stock. I get the feeling that they don't want to deal with making their own blends. But, of course, we're free to tinker. I'm hoping that if we come up with a simple blend, they might consider it.

I have the new Lost Spirits Navy Rum, but it's got way too much of an in-your-face molasses flavor to be in the ballpark for this application. But I do enjoy it

CincyTikiCraig: That Plantation Jamaica 2001 is great stuff, but pretty rare and pricey. It might be good in small doses in a more complex mix.

mmaurice: Total Wine carries lots of Plantation's rums in Florida. Do they have stores up your way?

M

mmaurice: Total Wine carries lots of Plantation's rums in Florida. Do they have stores up your way?

We have Plantation, just a limited selection. Haven't found any place in ATL with the OFTD. I bought a couple bottles recently while visiting Ft. Lauderdale.

Ironically, we have 1 of 2 TV left in the country and they don't distribute their "fine" rums here at all either. Bought a couple bottles of the dark down there to have around as a novelty.

While we're on the subject of rum, I thought I'd provide an update on The Mai-Kai's standard white and gold well rums, which often are overlooked. Way back on the first page of this thread, there was discussion of Ron Carlos, the longtime budget rum that The Mai-Kai has used for many years as the base rum in many cocktails. During a January 2016 back bar tour, you could still see the Ron Carlos gold and white rums flanking Kohala Bay, the late great dark Jamaican rum ...

While we know that Kohala Bay has since been replaced by Appleton Estate Reserve Blend , I wasn't aware that the silver and gold rums had also changed until my latest tour in February 2017. I never get tired of taking photos of this incredible wall of rum ...

If you look closely down in the lower right, you'll notice that bottles of Appleton Reserve have taken up residence in the same slot where Kohala Bay was previously located. And on either side you'll also note new white and gold rums ...

I confirmed that Ron Castillo is the new welll rum. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it's not much different than Ron Carlos: A cheap but decent quality Spanish-style rum with enough body to serve as a base and keep expenses low. Ron Carlos is imported in bulk from the Virgin Islands and generally assumed to be provided by Cruzan. Ron Castillo is from Puerto Rico, and I've heard rumors that it might be bulk Bacardi rum.

While Ron Castillo is the new white and gold base rum, I'm pretty sure that The Mai-Kai still uses Ron Carlos Black in a few cocktails as well. It fills the same supporting role as the gold and white rums, providing body and not competing with the rums that are used for flavor. It's typically the Jamaican and Demerara rums that do this. This combination of Spanish white/gold with Jamaican dark and Demerara (usually overproof) rums is a style that closely follows the Don the Beachcomber template going all the way back to the Zombie. The Mai-Kai currently uses multiple Appleton products from Jamaica, plus Hamilton 86 and Lemon Hart 151 from Guyana.

The reason for my February bar tour was a visit by a special guest from Seattle, Justin Wojslaw of the Diller Room. Here he is with manager Kern Mattei ...

Justin is a rising star in the bar scene and a huge Tiki cocktail enthusiast. I was happy to give him the grand tour on his first visit to The Mai-Kai. I was also pleased to learn that he's very much a traditionalist when it comes to creating cocktails, and he was blown away by his experiece. If you're ever in Seattle, be sure to look him up. Here's an in-depth profile with photos, video and recipes from Cocktail Wonk ...
http://cocktailwonk.com/2016/05/at-the-bar-with-seattles-tiki-warrior-justin-wojslaw.html

Okole maluna!

Great update Hayward. I can tell you (as someone who sold Bacardi for many years) that Castillo is, in fact. a Bacardi product.

J

{MESSAGE DELETED}

[ Edited by: jokeiii 2017-03-26 20:06 ]

J

On 2017-03-23 22:37, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
Great update Hayward. I can tell you (as someone who sold Bacardi for many years) that Castillo is, in fact. a Bacardi product.

As someone who has audited Bacardi I can tell you that Castillo is not only a Bacardi product it's also (at least as of 5ish years ago) Bacardi-with-a-different-label. (The reasons why it's cheaper would only excite a few people who geek out on accounting.)

J

On 2017-03-26 15:08, jokeiii wrote:

On 2017-03-20 21:33, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

On 2017-03-19 09:59, LeftarmofBuddha wrote:
I've been mixing Coruba, Hamilton Black, and OFTD in a ratio of 2:1:1/2 respectively and it has been delicious. I feel it is very similar to the Smith and Cross/El Dorado 12 mix in it's richness and ability to standout in a cocktail.

Aloha Tim! When I get ahold of Hamilton Dark, I'll let you know what I think. Your blend seems very close to jokeiii's 5:1:1 blend of the same rums. I was actually at The Mai-Kai the night Ed Hamilton brought that rum by to sample, but it was considered way too funky on its own as something they'd want to stock.

Here's my thinking on "my" blend: I'm willing to be flexible on the proof (my blend weighs in at 83.5° vs. 87.6° for KB, which I don't think makes a material difference) but not on the flavor profile, as expressed in a cocktail. In a pinch, the HB and OFTD could be goosed up a half-part if the proof isn't quite right.

I can see the Mai Kai being OK with a simple mix, of not too many rums in easy ratios. So something like 2:1:1 may be OK, assuming it's within the ballpark in terms of being funky or proofy.

-J.

[ Edited by: jokeiii 2017-03-26 20:03 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 433 replies