Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Tikipedia

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies

That post, and a few other comments in that thread, finally crystallized for me what Sven was trying to get across. I had read Book of Tiki several times, but I had somehow missed the crux of it: not only were tikis popular emblems, they became THE single iconic figure that was used to represent the then-current Polynesian style. I had somehow missed that, and based on people's comments I think a lot of other people missed it too. It wasn't chosen at random as a symbol to exemplify what was going on, it really became a unifying meme.

That missing piece of knowledge was what led to my questions earlier, and Sven's "curl up in a fetal position and rock under a Witco table" reaction.

N

we are still looking for people to contribute. otto von stroheim has registered with the site and i think maybe tom duncan as well.

I continue to add pages randomly. I just added a couple for Trader Vic's syrups. Adding a page is simple to do, as is modifying an existing page. It seems daunting right now to get a lot of content, but it'll fill out over time. If even a few people would take a category "under their wing" it would make a big difference.

N
T

Now that we're starting to get some users contributing, we're seeing areas that need improvement in terms of finding your way around, adding topics, and media handling. The homepage has been revised a bit to make it easier for users to find what they're looking for right off the bat, and hopefully adding new topics will be a bit less confusing with some additional changes.

The media handling in DokuWiki is less than stellar. I'm talking with a developer friend of mine about the potential of creating a custom interface that will make it easy to add media to the site in a way that is searchable and relevant to the things us tikiphiles are interested in. I know one of the things many people were hoping for with Ooga-Mooga was that it would give them the option to add menus, matchbooks, and other collectibles in a way that can be referenced. While Tikipedia isn't a "collection website" and has no aspirations to be one, I do think that the ability to add these items to individual locations will greatly enhance its usability and relevance. That's something we're going to explore.

If you've ever had a "Gee, I wish I could do this" thought about any of the tiki sites currently out there let us know about it! I've been in discussion a little with DustyCajun about creating some sort of tool that would allow people to more easily date things like menus by checking to see what prices were at various restaurants in various years. This might be something that could eventually be incorporated.

Give us your wish list!

N
nomeus posted on Thu, Feb 6, 2014 1:53 PM

yea absolutely.. any and all feedback will help us a lot.

N
nomeus posted on Thu, Feb 6, 2014 2:06 PM

buddy of mine just made a really good article on the castaways...check it out!!

http://www.thetikipedia.com/doku/doku.php?id=location:the_castaways

TM

I have just submitted an article for The Smokin' Menehunes.

http://www.thetikipedia.com/doku/doku.php?id=music:hapa_haole:page_title&s[]=smokin&s[]=menehunes

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2014-02-07 10:07 ]

Nice work. I added a few links to the article (which points out some other pages that need articles at some point).

Interested in creating an article on The Tikipedia but don't know how? It's simple. There are two ways to do it:

1. Click a red link in an existing article (red links mean an article doesn't exist yet). Then click "Create this page" and start writing.
  • or -
  1. Click the "Create New Page" button. Navigate to where you want the page to be. Type in the title for the page (just type it in normally with all appropriate punctuation), then click "Create Page" and start writing.
N

On 2014-02-07 10:07, lucas vigor wrote:
I have just submitted an article for The Smokin' Menehunes.

http://www.thetikipedia.com/doku/doku.php?id=music:hapa_haole:page_title&s[]=smokin&s[]=menehunes

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2014-02-07 10:07 ]

nice! thanks for being part of tikipedia!

T

I used the drink category of the Tikipedia to great success when planning for and serving drinks at the first cocktail hour in my new-ish home this weekend! The Hawaiian Eye and Blue Hawaii were well-received, though the Pegu Club (which I know how to make from muscle memory) was the most-requested second round.

The Tikipedia was a clutch resource, especially since I discovered when planning the party that my copies of the Grog Log and Entoxica! are MIA somewhere in the boxes of still-unpacked books in my basement. :S

N
nomeus posted on Sun, Feb 9, 2014 3:38 PM

On 2014-02-09 13:39, tikimnky wrote:
I used the drink category of the Tikipedia to great success when planning for and serving drinks at the first cocktail hour in my new-ish home this weekend! The Hawaiian Eye and Blue Hawaii were well-received, though the Pegu Club (which I know how to make from muscle memory) was the most-requested second round.

The Tikipedia was a clutch resource, especially since I discovered when planning the party that my copies of the Grog Log and Entoxica! are MIA somewhere in the boxes of still-unpacked books in my basement. :S

wait..our tikipedia? really? thats awesome!!

TM

If people start contributing, Tikipedia has the chance to be EPIC!

With wikipedia, you have a lot of people contributing a lot of mis-information, and some times straight up BS....

One great thing about tiki central is, we have a LOT of experts in most areas of tiki.....so TIKIPEDIA really needs some great articles written!

Take the drinks section, since anyone can edit, anyone can post alternate great recipes....Tikipedia is not meant to take away from tiki central, but merely to be an easily searchable compendium of tiki information!

N
nomeus posted on Sun, Feb 9, 2014 4:00 PM

definitely, tikipedia is the companion to tiki central. absolutely not here to upstage or distract but to compliment. tikipedia is the bitters for the tiki central cocktail!

N
N

still looking for people to contribute articles to the site or even just edit and improve on what we have already.

http://www.thetikipedia.com

T

We served over 1,000 pages in February, so people are definitely visiting.

Does the tikipedia have the "no original research" policy that wikipedia has?

[ Edited by: Const Tiki 2014-03-14 15:23 ]

No. We're definitely not that disciplined. :)

What we suggest is that if you have a reference, add it. If you read something without a reference, take it with a grain of salt. My concern is that if we required that people be rigorous about adding anything, that nothing would ever get added. The people who are sticklers for details (like Sven) are likely to want to modify, correct, or question parts of articles. That's the way it should work.

On 2014-02-09 13:39, tikimnky wrote:

We've got a lot more drink recipes now (over 90 recipes with plenty more to come). There's plenty there to keep someone busy (and oh so drunk), but if you're looking for the famed secret recipes you'll still need to go to the Beachbum's books. I had a good conversation with Mr. Bum about Tikipedia and the recipes contained therein so that we don't encroach on his or other authors' livelihood. He was enthusiastic and gracious, as always, and we were on the same page about it.

Still to come: Food recipes!

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-03-15 11:30 ]

N

tacky is blowing up the tikipedia!! lots of content on there now

where the heck are the bands, restuarants and events? That's the kind of articles we need.

It's real simple (and tacky and nomeus, please correct me if I am wrong)

You sign up, and start writing articles!

You can even use an existing article (like this one from my band )

look at the colored hyperlinks..the brown ones mean someone has written an article...the red ones are needing articles...so after you sign up, click on one of those and start an article! On my article alone, there are 10 opportunities alone to create articles!

http://www.thetikipedia.com/doku/doku.php?id=music:hapa_haole:the_smokin_menehunes

The thing about tiki central is that 90% of the "lay people" (I mean non-artists) are still experts on tiki.....that doesn't even include all the tiki artists...I would like to see an article for every artist that ever did a painting, mug, built home decor, bands that played in this scene, either active or defunct, and all the restuarants, bars and tiki events past and present...

Remember, this tikipedia does not replace tiki central...it is merely a great resource, especially for newbs....besides, who doesn't want their own wikipedia page? Only a few of the artists here are on wikipedia...and those articles were not always written by people who really know about the subject...this is a chance for everyone to get their 15 minutes of fame...and as hard as the people of this community work at tiki revival...I would have thought this would have been huger by now!

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2014-03-15 11:56 ]

N

i totally agree. tacky did a ton of cocktail articles because they were easy and fast to do. not much too them but still time consuming none the less

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 15, 2014 12:54 PM

On 2014-03-15 11:48, nomeus wrote:
i time consuming none the less

You hit the nail on the head.

N

the process in how he transcribed the old recipes was tedious im sure. freestyling a new article is quite easy though. especially if youre good at writing.

TM

took me 5 minutes tops to do mine.

N

i think i spent like 10 or so doing the monte proser article, only because i was trying to get some old information on him

http://www.thetikipedia.com/doku/doku.php?id=people:monte_proser

On 2014-03-15 12:54, GROG wrote:

On 2014-03-15 11:48, nomeus wrote:
i time consuming none the less

You hit the nail on the head.

I see posts here on TC all the time that must have taken a long time to put together. Many of the location threads have very long posts with tons of info. The problem is that they're often buried in threads that go to 10 pages or more, and finding them can be tedious—one reason why I really like the idea of putting pertinent details on a topic in one location.

I'm fleshing it out. It's going to take time, particularly the Culture section, but it'll be worth it. Even if it takes two years to get most of the stuff up there, it's time well spent.

N

let it be known now that even though i had this idea to make tikipedia, tacky has done a TON of work on it. much respect to him and his efforts for without him, it wouldnt be at all :)

A tiki encyclopedia is a grand idea! :D

N

What happened to yours?

I need a ghost writer.

I also need a ghost website builder.

While I'm at it, a ghost builder would be nice too. :wink:

N

ive gotta friend...named bamboo ben...He builds a bamboo den..in the house of bamboo!

The stats indicate that there's still quite a lot of traffic going to TheTikipedia, but poring over the logs makes me think most of it is suspect (am I really supposed to believe that 97.7% of our viewers are on Linux?). Are people here using it or finding benefit from it? If not, I'll likely close it down or pass it off to someone else who wants to host it. No sense in paying to have it up if it's just being accessed by robots looking to spam.

N

That's a bummer. Seems like maybe a lot of people are more into the idea of tiki culture but not so much the history and the people.

That's the way I feel sometimes. But then I get some great info out of nowhere!

Fact is, there is a hard core of people that are really REALLY into it and ACTIVE in finding out stuff - it's THEIR way of having fun - and then there are many more that love it...but like to have it presented to them. Producers and consumers.

Participatory efforts are seldom rewarding, and in this day and age mostly limited to Facebook "Likes"

I'm not judgmental about it—everyone gets something different out of tiki, and that's great. But if there's no need or want for such a thing, I just wonder whether there's much point in keeping it going?

If you bow to the will or likes of the masses
we would never have anything cool.

Which is why your motivation has to be of a personal nature
so do it for yourself or not.

The cool thing about our little Tiki sub culture is we have had an influence
on bigger things like cocktail culture, local music & art scenes, fashion etc.

But, what makes it cool in the first place is you are not doing it to be cool at all
and that is the nature of "Cool".

N

tacky, ill email you

N

well so much for that... without any notice to me, the site no longer exists. i didnt even know it was gone until now.

I just updated and expanded the following entries in http://www.thetikipedia.com:

• Tiki and fezzes - how a fez makes you "more tiki," and better looking.
  • Tiki and weight loss - how tiki can help you stay slim and svelte.
  • Tiki and those damn mysterious fez-wearing monkeys, what gives?
  • Tiki cocktails featuring whole watermelons as a garnish. (Tip: Use mugs with VERY large bases.)
  • Tiki cocktails - did the Bostonians or the Polynesians invent the Boston shaker?

Check these out when you get a few minutes.

T

Great additions!
I just added to the entry on "Aloha alive and well on TC".

On 2016-04-01 08:30, AceExplorer wrote:
I just updated and expanded the following entries in http://www.thetikipedia.com:

• Tiki and fezzes - how a fez makes you "more tiki," and better looking.
  • Tiki and weight loss - how tiki can help you stay slim and svelte.
  • Tiki and those damn mysterious fez-wearing monkeys, what gives?
  • Tiki cocktails featuring whole watermelons as a garnish. (Tip: Use mugs with VERY large bases.)
  • Tiki cocktails - did the Bostonians or the Polynesians invent the Boston shaker?

Check these out when you get a few minutes.

Nice work Ace! When you get a chance, the entry entitled "Jimmy Buffet — the One and Only True Godfather of Tiki" needs some polishing up.

T

It only took me four days to get it.

Bump. (Heh...)

This site can’t be reachedwww.thetikipedia.com’s server IP address could not be found.
Search Google for thetikipedia
ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

N

this has been gone for years

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies