Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Cannibal Art Swap is done! Dinner is served

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 547 replies

Guess I'll be vhecking videos from home since the last one got blocked since I'm set to "safety mode." I'm a teacher - must not be suitable for school!!!!

T

Ha! BooBs musta got ya blocked.

TIKISKIP: Maker of TIKI bar lighting, Let me make one for you.

:lol: that last one is DEFINITELY not appropriate for school :lol:

way cool video

T

The last video is crazy. Speaking of clay, I started working on one option for the Swap. This piece will most likely be PART of the swap. A bit about the clay, it's brown before it's fired, then turns black after bisqued. I plan on using glaze on the white clay, the background will be black and slightly rough to the touch. I haven't used this clay yet, so looking forward to trying it out- the photos don't quite do it justice, right now it's chocolate brown.

First I wedged this clay, and started working it into a slab:

I had to dry it out a bit (since this is going to be a wall tile), so I sandwiched it between a piece of drywall and a flat side of a plaster mold- to suck up some of the water in the clay:

I trimmed it, got it looking somewhat better, and put it on top of a plastic-wrapped board to work on:

Then I took some white (B-mix) clay, and started making utensils... (I ended up re-working the fork a bit).

and a skull, which I attached to the tile first:

Had to be careful not to get any of the dark brown clay onto the white clay- the skull was cleaned up after it set up on the background. The white specks on the close-up pic is white from a towel I was using to sop up the water I used to connect the two pieces- couldn't use slip since I didn't want extra colors bleeding onto the dark background.

Current result- finger's there to show scale. Now waiting for the clay to dry up, in a day or so I'm going to trim a bit and add some texture. I've already started adding some design to the cutlery. There will be blood dripping off the knife, etc. Once again, while this piece doesn't quite say "cannibal" (or CANNIBAL!) right now, it will soon. Feedback, as always, is appreciated.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38423&forum=18&start=3390&3397
I'm putting my Cannibal Pot step by steps on my thread but the end result of each day I'll put here.

A PNG Cannibal Pot with masks or shields carved into the three lemon shapes on the Pot.

Good job Tiki Ano and great photos, Wendy

T

Wendy, I agree- using lemon (or other citrus) really rounds out the flavor in a cannibal stew. Oh-

in any case, look forward to seeing the stew pot progress!

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2013-06-03 16:16 ]

I'm going to be working on a fabric/mixed media piece. I found this sculpture by David Lozeau which is my inspiration. Off to the craft store!
http://www.davidlozeau.com

Hello everyone

Wendy and Ano, you two are fast, they both look like really cool starts to some awesome projects.
Creepy thanks for the link by the way and cant wait to see what you do with your idea.

well I read the thread on cannibals and have never heard of the bora-bora tikis
so i thought i would do my rendition of the the three.
After hunting the garage for a idea i found a canvass... an old bowling pin got it primed
and got to doodling and came up with this,

a few minuets later

and the pin with some pencil on it this will be one shot enamel on the pin.

Anthony Maye

[ Edited by: anthonymaye 2013-06-03 19:01 ]

HT

Wendy, that's going to be wonderful!

Thanks Hale Tiki. My work of art is scary, more photos tomorrow.

anthonymaye your doodles are a work of art. The bowling pin is big, your project fun. Wendy

P

I had an idea for a cannibal pot tiki bowl for a long time. I finally got Go Tiki to do one for me. I think it turned out pretty good.

I would love to participate in this myself, but I am unfortunately not an artist.

W

Fun to see everyone's ideas! The thread re-post really inspired me. I think I'll be doing a painting on wood, of one or all three of the hunter, the eater, and the full belly. I hadn't seen those before, so clever!

Hey that the first time I saw Go Tiki's pot and girl. You are going to think I did a copy, horrors. At least mine is not going to be a happy girl. I have an appointment with the dentist but I'll post photos when I get home later on. Wendy

I still need to carve the "lemons" in PNG style and work on the eyes.

Here is were I worked on her mouth.

Creepy. The girl is boiling hot.

Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-06-04 09:49 ]

The mouth is key, Wendy! It really conveys the horror of thepoor woman's plight. Love it!!!

T
TU posted on Tue, Jun 4, 2013 4:05 PM

Being new, I just wanted to know about posting progress pics. Is it groovy to show what my project is, if so, how much is too much?

Thanks.

Tu, I believe it is up to you how much you show. It is not a secret what you are making, just who gets it. Here is an earlier art swap thread that might help you along.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=44283&forum=18

Yes - progress reports are encouraged!! This will help me decide who I want (who you get is another subject). Here's where I'm at...

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2013-06-04 18:44 ]

Aloha Tiki - Blank slate?

Here's where I'm at - have had to rethink a few things - but happy with the progress.

The big picture - sketched out on file folder so I can make potentially reuseable pieces. I'll cut these out as templates for the fabric pieces.

Shag inspired skull - this is his prize skull. It will cover his belly, and perhaps be able to be worn by him as a headpiece.

And here's some stomach contents.

Creepy Krista

[ Edited by: creepykbear 2013-06-04 21:00 ]

Holy quick start
You guys are on fire...

Funny that I started my back yard cannibal carving in early May,
Before this topic was chosen.

Guess I'll have to put it on hold and start one that can be shipped, lol...

Everything posted looks good so far, keep on rolling...

Jon

T

Jon, you just need a really big envelope for your backyard cannibal carving- which is awesome, btw. Might be good inspiration for anyone on this thread, too!

W

AAAHHHHHH!! Stomach contents! That is awesome.

BT

A cannibal Plushie?

T
TU posted on Wed, Jun 5, 2013 3:23 PM

Here is what I have so far...

The beginning:

The so far:

Funny thing is the wood came from my brother's high school shop project he didn't finish in 1986. My parents kept it around until it somehow ended up in my garage about 4 years ago. Now it will live as art.

Z

It begins!

~Zero

Holy Crap! :o You guys are off and running! 9 projects started in the first week, that has to be a new TC record!

I haven't been a very good Swap host - I have been really busy another project this week but have to be done with that by tomorrow night and then can concentrate on some cannibal deliciousness.

TikiAno - I'm really interested to see how that black clay turns out, I haven't seen that before.
Anthony - Will you be able to fit all 3 cannibals on one pin?
Wendy - Love the cannibal pot gal, she would be tasty with an apple in that mouth!
TU - You can post as much or as little as you want but you will need to post a picture of the finished work by the end of the Swap. I like to see lots of pictures, it helps keep the excitement level high for the thread.
AlohaStation - Is that "Cannibal in a Volcanic Ash Storm"?
CreepyKBear - "Stomach contents" ~ that's creative and hilarious
TU - looks like a sign of things to come, can't wait to see more.
Zero - Am I seeing a severed head?

Clay, the oldest and most divine art media;
"And now, from the clay of the ground, the Lord God formed man" Genesis 2:7
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-06-06 05:58 ]

Z

A true cannibal never eats and tells...
:P

This swap is starting off right, their is some amazing art works going on on this thread.

Well i roughed in the color and had a few more ideas (they will come soon) but so far it
is going as planned.

The Hunter

The eater

The ingestor

Enjoi and Mahalo

Z

PROGRESS!
"Food Chain"
10" X 10"

Crap, I need to get on the stick! And rustle up some talent. You guys rock, as always. I'm loving what I'm seeing.

T

Everyone's work is looking great- Anthony, love the bowling pin piece. Zero, intrigued where you're heading w/ this one.

Mike, it's a Laguna Clay that when high fired turns black. It turns a little lighter when bisque fired, then gets darker due to the manganese and iron content. I haven't used it before, but I've seen some work done w/ it from others at the clay studio I work at. Find more info:

http://www.lagunaclay.com/clays/western/wc391.php

Still waiting for the first part of the Art Swap to dry up, started working on another piece- still w/ the new clay. It's been a while, but decided to jump on the wheel and turn a lump of clay into this. There'll be more work to be done to this, carving, adding hand built pieces, and more. Here it is so far:

Look forward to seeing everyone else's progress!

Ano looking forward to see where you go with that
Zero love the chain really cool idea

as for me i finally got around to mounting the turtle dish i got from lorilovestikis in the last art swap i had a cigar case and i was able to fit it in the box then i put a whole lot of holes in the lid to look like a shotgun blast and colored it accordingly and glued it together now the turtle dish is a lost artifact.

And then i got back to work on the current swap project the three amigos.
I am about half way done with the piece i got some line work done today and more color
added the dividers between tikis and had a great time doing it. But this will be the last, i
do to it for a While. Tomorrow i will be in the hospital with my lovely wife Kait,
as she brings our baby boy Hudson into the world. This will be number three for us and
I couldn't be any happier.
Mahalo

The Hunter with line work

The Eater with line work

The Ingestor With line work

The Bamboo divider close up

Hope you Enjoi and Mahalo

1st Cannibal: I don't like your Mother-in-law
2nd Cannibal: Then just eat the noodles!

T

ATP, good one.

"Why don't cannibals eat comedians?"
--- They taste funny.

Anthony, congrats on the (upcoming) new arrival!

Lookin good guys

Anthonymaye -

I love what you did with the turtle platter, how clever! Cograts in advance to you & your wife on the birth of Hudson. I hope everything goes smoothly!

Anthony, TikiAno and Zero - great work!
Congratulations Anthony & Mrs Maye. I realize this is the Art Swap thread but we are all family here - feel free to post a pic here of the little one, we would love to see him.

Just for fun :D

I tried to copy Kinny's tissue background technique and for some reason (duh!) it didn't turn out anything at all like the master's.

we are home with our little bundle of joy Hudson danger Maye was born june 8th 2013
7lb 10 oz baby boy and we are home now one more little one to paint tikis with.

Our ohana just got a little bigger :)

Mahalo

Well a big-ol congratulations are in order!

A trader named Mort arrived in a cannibal village to offer trade
but the cannibal's would only call him, Stew....

A Frenchman, an Englishman and a New Yorker are captured by cannibals. The Chief goes to the Frenchman and says, "We are going to kill you, eat you, and make a canoe out of your skin!" But, being a considerate tribe, the Chief offers the Frenchman a last request. The Frenchman asks for a large cognac. Naturally he is granted a large tumbler of cognac, and is then killed.

The Chief says to the Englishman, "We are going to kill you, eat you, and make a canoe out of your skin!" and offers the Englishman a last request. The Englishman chooses a pint of ale, after which he is killed.

The Chief says to the New Yorker, "We are going to kill you, eat you, and make a canoe out of your skin!" and offers him a last request. The New Yorker asks for a fork.

"A fork?" asks the Chief.

"Yes, a fork."

So the New Yorker gets his fork & immediately he starts stabbing himself over and over again while shouting, "Here's your fucking canoe!"

Anthony Maye, congratulations on the new keiki!

ATP - don't give up your day job :lol:

TikiAno I didn't do that well after a semester of potters wheel. I wish I was still trying but it really takes muscles to center the clay perfectly. Good job.

This is shaping up into a great swap. Wendy

BT

On 2013-06-10 08:12, danlovestikis wrote:
TikiAno I didn't do that well after a semester of potters wheel. I wish I was still trying but it really takes muscles to center the clay perfectly. Good job.

it's really not about the muscles. You probably need to hydrate your clay more. hard clay is VERY difficult to center but once you find that perfect moisture content it becomes much much easier.

Z

Progress!

Badd Tiki why didn't my professor ever tell me to soften the clay? I did use firm clay. Dang it, something so simple. My sister was a well known Oregon potter and that's why I took the class. It was horrible to add a C to my grade point average. Thank you, I think I'll try a wheel again one day and use your tip. Wendy

Zero Tiki I'd recognize your style a mile away. That's a very good thing and a fun work of art.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 547 replies