Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

BOWLARAMA at the Tonga Hut March 3rd

Pages: 1 2 3 4 187 replies

Wow Eric, you are a triple threat and a treat too. Excellent, Wendy

Hey Eric, thanks! Wendy, LLT and MP, Tikiroots Rocka, Velour, all the pieces are looking wonderful. I think its gonna be such a great site seeing all these bowls together as a whole! Eric, that Bahooka piece is a gorgeous homage!
Just got my stuff from firing, here is the Easter Island Hot Tub, featuring a glaze i mixed for the black, which is a warm tone saturated satin and shiny black. Dry ice goes in the volcano or lime shell and flame can be put into the top of the volcano. photo was a quick ipod camera snap, so a bit washed out

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 2, 2013 10:58 AM

Very nice you two. Nice Bahooka tribute, Eric. Bora Boris was wondering if we could include that somehow into the show and you did.

A little bad news: The Glasgow Tiki Shakers had to cancel for Sunday, but we still have Kitty Chow and Fisherman playing. Maybe we can extend their set or have them start a little later. GROG have to talk to Marie today.

Picked up Ruzic's artwork last night and it looks fabulous. Wait until you guys see the MP/Ruzic collaboration in person. Superneat. Big Toe tweaked his back and wasn't able to finish his piece. Hopefully he'll finish and post here once it's done. He's excited about the piece.

Got another firing to do today and that's all GROG have time for before the show.

PS.---Holy crap! Cass posted while GROG was typing. That looks great Cass. This is going to be a neat show. GROG looking forward to seeing what Tiki Tony, Crazy Al, and Tiki Diablo bringing.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-03-02 11:03 ]

HT

I really wish I could be there.
Cass - I'm in love the Easter Island Hot Tub.
Wendy, I love those chalices.
GROG...WANG! They look great, as do the paper clay bowls.
I love the Ruzic piece on velvet. That piece is outta sight!
RootsRoka - I dig those tumblers. I think you could make a heck of a Fog Cutter mug if you wanted.
Tobunga - Its about time that after standing guard all these years, the tikis finally get to have a drink themselves :)
Johnnie Velour - Those look really nice. I hope you'll post photos when they're done somewhere on here.
Kudos to you all. With the addition of a few more great artists, it'll be one hell of a show!

Haletiki, we will host a drink to you!
Ernie, thanks again for your work to put together this great concept of a show!
Here is my last bowl for the show, fusing Spanish style bowls but with a more PNG and "crude" earthy style to that approach. Blue you ask, using the Motu water pots as reference for color choices, which are stained with mangrove bark and take on hues of blue, purple and lavender.Dry ice goes in the faces on the side.
once again, just a quick ipod camera snap, camera kinda seems to muddle the look a bit

cheers!

T

Wow WoW WOW!!! You guys are blowin' my mind! Rocka, love yer stuff... the coconut mugs are killer! Wendy, that Pele is awesome... Cass, the hot tub and PNG bowl came out great!

FInally, all of my ceramics are done!

Here's the Stockton Islander:

The Cassowary:

The Tapa Bowl:

Here's details of the firechamber tikis:

Have a few more things to post when I get a chance!

Great works, Eric!

T

Thanks ATP! Glad you like!
Here are some new drawings I'll have at my booth:

Bahooka: Floats and Jetsam

8x10 colored pencil on black paper

Rufus and Friends

8x10 colored pencil on black paper

Rufus and Tiki

5x7 colored pencil on black paper

Eric, Mahalo Tiki has an envelope for you. I love the Islander bowl and the Cassowary bowl and all the rest too. Wendy

HT

Tobunga, those are insane.
The Stockton Islander, is that a mug? With a removable lid roof?!

And a giant volcano bowl with room for flaming croutons all the way around!?

Very cool.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 2, 2013 10:33 PM

All the artwork is looking great everybody. This is going to be a really neat show. GROG have stuff in the kiln GROG will pull out in the morning. GROG looking forward to seeing everybody's art and seeing everybody at the Tonga Hut.

GROG stole this photo of Tiki Tony's wooden bowl he is bringing from Cass's Bowlarama facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/216189411855144/?context=create
If you check out the page and click on the photos they are much bigger and you can really see some of the great artwork we'll be having at the show.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-03-02 22:46 ]

T

Hey everybody!

Here is some more fun for tomorrow!

New glaze on Tonga Hut coconut mugs, a sort of young coconut green, debuting tomorrow!

Plus a bowl for Tonga Hut I've had in the works for some time... completed, appropriately enough, just in time for Bowlarama...
The Drooling Bastard bowl! Order a bowl from the Hut and have it served up in this bastard of a bowl!

And this just in... I'll have a small quantity of the brand spanking new Quiet Village podcast mai tai glasses at my booth... I did the artwork for 'em!

The glasses are 8.00 each, or two for 14.00

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 3, 2013 8:46 AM

Tobunga, you are a machine!! How do you get so much done and still have a full time job?

TODAY'S THE DAY!!!!!!

GROG so excited about the show GROG couldn't pee this morning or GROG would've wet the ceiling!
GROG cracked the kiln open a bit this morning so it can cool down another hour or so before GROG can get the rest of the ceramics out.
GROG looking forward to seeing all of GROG' artist friends and tiki friends. Dees gonna be phun!!!!!!!!

See ya'll this afternoon. GROG got alotta packing to do to take everything over to Tonga Hut. May have to make two trips.

I need to see this show. I am making the trip from Palm Springs and leaving my isolated lifestyle for one day to enjoy the art,drinks and friends at the Tonga Hut.

See you then,
W

I'm sure I could spend a couple hundred easily today judging by the craftsmanship shown in the pics. Conveniently, ill be finding out just how much job security I have tomorrow so ill probably have to tighten the belt, but who knows how ill feel after a few zombies, ha!

almost time, will have one mug at my vending table, a test glazed Kapriman. Will have dry ice to light up the volcanoes if any of the other artists are interested. See you there!

This show was a lot of fun. Great job putting it together Grog! The lineup of bowls was pretty amazing and it looked like a great turn out. I forgot my "real" camera, and took no crowd shots, so this is going to look a lot like the previous pages in this thread. :) Full sized versions on Flickr, and 2 (very) short video clips of the dry ice and rotation action.

LLT & MP's collaboration here had to be seen in person. Great depth.

Val and I had a great time seeing so many familiar (and some not so familiar) faces today at the Tonga Hut.

Mahalo to everyone that helped put on today's show!

kevin

--
if it's not a little complicated, it's probably not worth it.
http://twitter.com/heylownine

[ Edited by: heylownine 2013-03-03 21:01 ]

M
mp posted on Sun, Mar 3, 2013 10:13 PM

All those shots look great!
So bummed I couldnt be there.
Huge props to Ernie and everyone involved!!!

Here's my raku bowl/cup I'll be giving away right here
on this thread soon. Stay tuned for details

Its cracked and repaired but hey, its free. What the heck!

HT

How very generous, MP!
The show looked great. Congratulations to everyone involved for creating fantastic pieces.

Thank you GROG for putting on a terrific show. I scored the Islander Building by Eric October and Mahalo Tiki is bringing it home to me. It's going to be a surprise for Dan on our 35th Wedding anniversary in May.

I love all everything that was shown.

Someone bought my Red Frankoma/Pele Rising bowl. I'd really like to see a photo of who it is with the bowl. I've saved the photo posted here by heylownine, thank you very much.

Cheers, Wendy

MP I'll be checking back every hour until I see what you are doing with that bowl!

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-03-04 10:16 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 4, 2013 11:12 AM

GROG would like to thank everybody who came out to the show and everybody involved in the show. Thanks to Jeremy and Amy for hosting the show at the Tonga Hut, and Marie and Lisa-Marie for doing a wonderful job mixing drinks. Very big thanks to Tonga Tom for bringing the panels to hang the 2d artwork, and FOR HANGING the 2d artwork, and also for doing a great job DJing. Big thanks to all the artists and vendors for participating. All of the artwork was was great. Big, huge thank you to Cass (Oceotica) for helping promote the show with a facebook page, for bringing the tables to put the bowls on, and for helping set up the show. Also thanks for bringing dry ice and making everything look so dramatic. It looked really neat in the water fountains inside the Tonga Hut. Thanks to everybody who bought stuff and helped support the hard working artists of the Tiki community. And Kitty Chow, Fisherman and Crazy Al for entertaining everybody. That was very fun. GROG wish GROG had gotten to see more of the show.

GROG took some pictures GROG post as soon as GROG download and crop them.

GROG will sell bowls and crap that didn't sell at the show on ebay, so watch for GROG' marketplace thread "CRAP BY GROG" when GROG have stuff up on ebay.

Thanks again everybody for helping to make this a fun and successful event.

P.S. Anybody interested in taking over organizing and promoting these art shows at the Tonga Hut, GROG would be more than happy to talk to you.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-03-04 12:29 ]

Thanks everyone who was vending, everyone who came, Marie and Lisa Marie for the amazing cocktails, Ernie for organizing and Tonga Tom for dj'ing!!!!

Amazing art pieces, the best bowls ever, thanks all!

Amy

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 4, 2013 2:08 PM

Pics:

Setting up the bowls, Tiki Diablo and Tiki Tony were running late, so their bowls aren't up there yet.

Tiki Diablo and Tiki Tony setting up. Hey, you get there late, you gotta set up next to the dumpster.

Smokin' Tikis vending for the 1st time at the Tonga Hut.

The Taco Lady stayed busy cooking some delicious Mexican food.

GROG and Joe Banks---some guys just weren't meant for close ups.

Can't really explain what's going on here.

Proud new owner of a Tiki Tony piece.

Bongofury got a Tiki Tony piece, too.

The Taco Lady made MORE tacos.

Only one 2D piece didn't sell.

GROG and Kitty Chow.

This lady is holding something sweet in her hands, and she's got a cookie.

MISHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Proud owners of a Wangaroan shot glass.

The Taco Lady made more food.

Desiree got the Vicious Virgin mug by Trader Tom.

It was one big lovefest.

Tiki Tony found the cookies GROG brought.

Atomikitty showed up. Not sure who has the nicer lips, but GROG pretty sure Suzy is a close second.

The lovefest continues.

Sven and Suzy basking in the afterglowof the lovefest.
Actually it's just the sun setting as vending starts to wrap up and everybody heads in to see Kitty Chow and Fisherman perform with special guest, Crazy Al.

That's all the photos GROG took.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-03-04 14:25 ]

S

So bummed to have missed this! Looks like it was a great turn out with some impressive art from some of my favorite folks.

Love that frame MP and also Eric that Islander building bowl came out great. Glad it survived the firing!

Great time at the Tonga Hut last night! Thanks Grog for putting that together! And thanks to all the bartenders for making us great tasting drinks!

T

Looks like a fun event. Sorry I missed it.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 4, 2013 7:16 PM

Nice to meet you at the Tonga Hut Luna. Thanks for driving all the way up from San Diego. That was much better than Andrew (ESP) or Ruzic who couldn't even make it from Orange County!! And Ruzic even had three pieces in the show, two of which sold. Where GROG commission Ruzic?!!!! Mahalo Mike made a nice 5 hour trip down here, vended and made the 5 hour trek back.

P.S. Just bustin' your balls ESP. :wink: Ruzic had no excuse.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-03-05 01:40 ]

BB

Great event GROG, lots of great stuff and at really nice prices!

Here's a few from me -

I call this the "Tabowl"

I really liked this unexcavated Moai bowl from GROG.

Some Crazy Al madness

OceaOtica/Cass' bowls were sneaky, you couldn't tell how HUGE they were from his in-progress pics.

Eric October's Drooling Bastard bowl was happy to see everyone.

The SS Tiki Diablo

Sneaky angle on Ruzik's 3DBV!

Heading inside, lots of drinks waiting for their parents.

Kitty Chow and Fisherman start the show

Ape-ish reunion as Al joins the fun.

GROG enjoys the show after a long day.

Thank you so much for all the terrific photos. It's hard to miss great events like this one but now I feel like I was there, Wendy

CA

The Queen and Crew always making Tiki a better world! So Awesome you invited the Fisherman for his debut return the CA from NYC. Kitty's addition to the show is fantastic too and what a great venue to kick it all off, the refurbished Tonga Hut!!!

Grog.... he is always thunkin' up the great events for greater times... Glad i could take part.

I filled my bowl up with Two Marie Specials!! Nice christening eh?

TT

I filled my bowl up with Two Marie Specials!! Nice christening eh?

Aaaaah! Al's ben carving so long, HIS HANDS HAVE BECOME TIKIS !!!

Just wanted to say Mahalo to GROG and the Tonga Hut ohana for putting on another great event! It was great getting to visit with everyone and meet some of you for the first time. Thanks for letting me be part of the festivities and thank you to everyone who bought a vintage Aloha shirt, dress, or one of my ceramic pieces.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 6, 2013 1:34 PM

Tonga Tom had his camera. GROG sure he'll post pics any day now......

BK

You're slacking, Tom!

Got to love those hands bigbrotiki, thanks for pointing them out. Wendy

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 7, 2013 12:05 PM

Yep. Any day now Tom's going to post photos. GROG can feel it....

....any day now......

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-03-07 12:39 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 7, 2013 12:06 PM

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-03-07 12:36 ]

JB

On 2013-03-07 12:05, GROG wrote:
Yep. Any day now Tom's going to post photos. GROG can feel it....

....any day now......

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-03-07 12:39 ]

Maybe he posted them all on Facebook.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 7, 2013 5:28 PM

There are 14,173 members on Tiki Central. GROG doubt they are all friends with him on facebook. Which means..... any day now he'll be posting pics up on this thread...... any day....

.........sometime soon.....

......maybe......

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Mar 7, 2013 5:56 PM

Looks like a lot of fun. Bowana sorry he miss GROG' event.

Well done, GROG!

Bowie

TT

Batch one...

TT

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 8, 2013 12:08 AM

AHA!!!!!! GROG knew there had to be some photos coming soon from Tom.

Thanks Tonga Tom!!

GROG willing to bet there's more photos coming with Kitty Chow and Fisherman performing with a Crazy Al assist.

TT

There will be more, and I haven't posted any on Facebook ...yet.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 8, 2013 7:42 PM

Tom, your lens really distorted the photo of GROG, so GROG fix the distortion in Photoshop for you. Thanks for the photos.

Looking good GROG. Dan wants to learn photoshop.

Here is Dan on his birthday enjoying his Islander Stockton, Eric October Bowl from the event on his birthday.

He found a perfect spot to display it too.

Thank you everyone for all the terrific photos you've posted. We enjoyed them all. Thank you GROG for planning the event. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-03-09 10:03 ]

TT

Dan & Wendy, it looks like the Islander bowl has found the perfect home!

Here are more photos from Bowlarama...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 187 replies