Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap ~ Drawing Results!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 457 replies

thats so cool, gravel art is a classic!

Moondog- great start, can't wait to c end result.

Hay MO- lookin good, that must take forever...

Moondog and Kele, those pieces are both looking great!

Only about 26 days left to the deadline!

(double post)

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-07-15 21:46 ]

C
cy posted on Mon, Jul 16, 2012 2:49 PM

Here is the rough outline. Now to separate the five colors by hand cutting each one, put them on screens and print. Lookin' good BB, what music are ya listening to lately? WaikikianMoeKele great gravel art!

[ Edited by: cy 2012-07-16 14:53 ]

Thanks for the compliments everyone, they really keep me motivated.

Looking great Cy. But how do you tell if you've got it hanging upsidedown? :wink:

Kele and CY wow what fun art, super. LoriLovesTiki where are you??? Wendy

That's what I was wondering? Lori and AlohaStation both showed early progress shots but we haven't seen anything lately

BT

Alright,

I have finally got proof :D

It's been glazed, but not fired. The trunks will be clay (dark speckly brown), the fronds will be a dark green gloss, the rest of the bowl will be a light blue (I hope, didn't have a sample of the glaze but that's what I asked for).

The volcano is an experiment. I painted the bottom with a black slip. Then dipped the whole thing in chun red. Extra dips up top and inside, it runs a lot when thick so hopefully a nice lava effect will happen.

Should be fired in a week or so, we're hoping we get 2 more firings before class is over the day before the swap deadline :D

Ok, already!! I have to respond after being called out. (I'm talking to YOU TWO - MDM & Wendy!) My volcano godess and her volcano came out of the kiln on the last day of school and have sat on my kitchen table ever since. Upon advice of Wendy I set out looking for some glaze that gets fired in a home oven (Liquitex glossies) but none of my local "artsy" stores have that - Michaels or AC Moore. So tomorrow I'm heading to a art supply store - Utrecht tomorrow or Friday so I can finish the fire godess's face. Here's a few pictures:

(She's not the lovliest Wahine in the universe but at least you can tell she's human - I hope....)

She's SUPPOSED to look like she's covered in fire with flames for hands.

Here's her volcano:

and the two pieces together as they are intended to be:

That's it for now until I give her skin some appropriate color, maybe then she'll look less like something from Twilight, ha-ha.

Oh and Sophista-tiki I just love your painting, I'd be honored to have it! And Badd, I can't wait to see that bowl.

Lori,
She's beautiful & I would be honored if I receive her in the art swap!
~kele

BaddTiki, I never doubted you :) Looks great, good luck with the glaze firing

Lori, she is indeed beautiful ~ I am so glad you decided to participate in this Swap

BT

LLT, She's awesome :D
Not only does she look like she's ingulfed in flames, she looks like she is made from them! Perfect for Pele. Great glaze work too, she may be a little pale but her face is good contrast to all the other colors, so even if you don't find a glaze it's not a problem imo.

Badd and LLT I think that MDM and I did well to "call you out". Look what we got to see and enjoy. Fantastic.

Lori the Liquitex Glossies can be ordered from Dick Blick on line. But it looks like you did just fine with what you found.

This is such a great swap this year. Now lets call out Traveling Jones for his next step photo.

Cheers, Wendy

MadDogMike and Wendy have pointed out on my ceramics thread that I'm working on a couple of vicious virgin volcano bowls that could would fit in with the swap, so I'd like to get in on the action if one of my pieces survives the kiln and I can get done on time.

I'm shooting to do a first firing next week and then glaze over that weekend and get things fired for the second time before the end of the month.

Here's a pic of the bowl I'd enter, a three sided bowl:

You can see more pics on my thread here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=43415&forum=18&15

I hope things work out. I've never done an art swap and this looks like a fun one!

Welcome aboard Tom. Swaps are great fun and your bowl is a wonderful addition.

Kele, mike, Wendy & Badd -

You are all too kind but thanks! :) You know how to be encouraging, thanks!!!!

I struck out at Utrecht but am going to try and order the glossies online. I should have enough time.

Mike, just a reminder that I'll be leaving for a week on August 4th. My project will be all packed before I leave and I will send it out just as soon as I return and find out who my swap partner is. Please let him/her know.

Lori, I had made a note of that, no problem. I know you are almost done, just be sure to leave a picture of the finished art (or let me know you finished) before you leave. According to the International Treaty on Tiki Swaps, all pieces need to be finished by the deadline :D

Everyones art is lookin great....

:tiki: All da swap art is...HOT! HOT!! HOT!!! :tiki:

Okay Wendy, I'm back at it...

Let's just see how far I can get with her this weekend?

ZOOOOOOING!

Pele's lookin GREAT Jonesy!
Get 'er Done bubs!
:)

She has some terrific ah collar bones, Wendy

Very interesting Jonsey. As always, you keep us guessing. I am trying to figure out if the midrif is yet unfinished or purposely deconstructed. Hmmmm?

I have added "Lava-Falls" to the art swap. It's a bigger piece.

The image does not translate well into a picture, but I think you get the idea.

:)

Mahalo!

Very nice Mele! Wouldn't want to go over those falls in a barrel!!!

Melekalikimaka, your painting is tikiliscous!
~kele

Temperature is rising and lava begins to flow...

Wicked TJ, I like where you're goin' with this!

Melekalikimaka, I can see it well enough to know that was a lot of work and well done. It's hot!

Traveling Jones you know how to grab someones body and twist it until it breaks but in a good way. That is one interesting sculpture, Wendy

Moves Like Jagger...

...until next weekend.

Jonesey, your pictures remind me of the way fight scenes are filmed in movies these days; too close to the action to really tell what's going on :lol:

Getting close to deadline...
Everyone's stuff looks great...

Just finished mine. Regular paintings are hard to photograph, black velvet is IMPOSSIBLE. I tried my best and still had to do a bit of photoshoppery to get the colors even remotely close to the original. Ah well. I will post my various tries at photographing it in my own thread so I don't take this over. I'll just post the closest full picture and one close up of my favorite part: the hand (betcha thought I was gonna say the boobs didn't ya Mike and Wendy?) :lol: I didn't like how all the anatomy came out, but thought the hand was pretty darn good. I enjoyed this first try out in black velvet, I will look forwards to doing more in future. :D

I love it Tiger, very nice!
(the hand isn't my favorite part, I like the twin.......lava falls in the background :D )

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-07-27 05:58 ]

"I'ma comin' Beanie Boy!" (Cecile the Seasick Sea Serpent) Got mine started-- pictures to come soon... a three dementional or demented multi-media thingy... ya gotta love it and I just might keep it for myself... but I won't. Pictures soon.

Tigertail, very cool!

My pic is finished, just working to finish the frame.

C
cy posted on Fri, Jul 27, 2012 8:15 PM

Here is my late entry, printed on glass in 5 colors. I inked the black line in and then hand cut the other 4 colors. Included in the print are lightening, volcanos, palms, hawaiian flowers, rising suns and she is holding the sacred 'ohelo berry.

Maddog it has brackets on all four sides so it won't matter how it hangs.

Tiger n Cy- way kool stuff there

Turned out excellent Cy, love the way it floats over the blue mat. Great symbolic imagery as well. (and it can't hang the wrong way :lol: )

Kele and Bongo, can't wait to see some pics. I hear that the volcano is rumbling in Florida near AlohaStation's hut too.

Very nice Cy! I really like the "floating" effect too. Nifty how you did all that symbolic imagery, never in a million years would I have thought of a playing card, if I had a game room that would be perfect to hang in it. :)

The frame isn't finished yet, so I cropped that out of the pic, but here is the main part of my contribution to the Art Swap

~kele

Kele that's terrific.

CY I bet you marked that card so you could win the swap of your choice.

I decided that mine needed a bit more red so I did some more painting. I'll bake it tomorrow. Now the Tiki Bob/ Pele/ Volcano mug is really finished. Wendy

Kele it looks wonderful! Does it have a little sparkle to it with the beads?

Wendy, you have improved on perfection if that is possible!

This has been fun watching all the Pele/Fire/Volcano art come to life

Great stuff everyone

Getting close to trade time

Will MDM soon be tossing everyone's name in a homemade Pele skull for drawing?

Hay Mike, I think with every name drawn you should take a shot :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 457 replies