Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

TIKISKIP : How to make tiki light, Lamp 101

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 205 replies

wow! Lovin' the burlap/paper combo. Did the burlap come with that loose weave or did you alter it?

T

"I imagine that you would shellac the fabric or burlap after it were in place"
No that's not it really.
There are a few steps to the burlap, kind of a pain that's why I don't do
more of em.
The second light has Burlap AND resin very cool look.
I sold it to Skitiki.
Wish I had that one back.

Got the burlap at Franks Cane and rush I think.

Lights are kind of different than say doing ceramics the mug maker can show
you how to make a mug but you need to have the artistic skills to make the mug look good.
With lights I can show you how to make any light in one hour or less.
And it will be JUST like any lamp makers lights here.
So with light making the skill is in the trial error learning you get from years of making
these lights.
And the creativity you put in the design.
Last but not least the stuff you make these lights with and where to get said stuff.
Now I know that not everyone will want to make their own lights.
But I could be giving some new lamp maker a good head start to compete with me in the
tiki light sales game.
So it's hard for me I want to share all I know so bad.
But I know it will and has bit me in the ass.
Ask a mug maker his recipe on one of his cool glazes and see what he says.

T

"Did the burlap come with that loose weave or did you alter it?"

It came that way.

S

On 2011-06-16 16:09, tikiskip wrote:
"
But I could be giving some new lamp maker a good head start to compete with me in the
tiki light sales game.
So it's hard for me I want to share all I know so bad.
But I know it will and has bit me in the ass.
Ask a mug maker his recipe on one of his cool glazes and see what he says.

You are right, and I don't think you have to share ALL you know, but thank you for starting this thread. I personally think it's part of art and fun trying to figure out how it is done, without getting all the tips. This is how you learn, and if you have desire and passion to do, whatever it may be, you will figure out your own way how. :)

Well, being the dumb-ass newbie I am , I didn't even know there was a "tiki light sales game". I just thought everyone made their own. That's my plan anyways. But never having made one before, I'll gratefully accept any info you are willing to share Tikiskip. Your work is inspirational.

TikiSkip, don't sell yourself short - Tiki lights are not all technique. While technique and supply are important, you have been successful mostly because of your creativity and your eye for design :)

I agree with MadDogMike! Anyone can slap a hat on a basket and call it a lamp. Your work has a nice layered style and balance of shape/color to it.

S

Oh, absolutely! I agree with what Mike and Mitch said above, you do have a certain style and signature touch to all of your lamps, very recognizable and very well thought out process to everything and always inspiring. :)

H
harro posted on Fri, Jun 17, 2011 3:18 PM

tikiskip, i've admired your lights on TC for many years. But now my appreciation of your efforts has skyrocketed - not just by showing all the necessary steps you go through, but to actually take the time and hassle to record it all for posterity and share with the rest of us here so we can attempt to have a go and have some fun along the way.

Bravo and thank you - I look forward to making some of these lamps in the future. Please keep up the great work.

harro

T

Wow you guys are going to give me a fat head.
But thank you very much!
This leg is giving me lots of pain so it's been hit and miss.

Let's get back to that light.
This is how your basket should look when done adding paper.

You will need the items in the picture below.

These are... One 1 inch loop 1/8 ip
Three 1/8 ip locknuts
One 30 inch all thread lamp pipe.
One 1/8 ip couplings.
The 1/8 ip is the size of the fittings you buy.

Next you need to put a hole in the top of the hat.
See this is why you reinforced the top of the hat.
This hole needs to be very close to the size of the 1/8 ip
lamp pipe. We need a tight fit here.
Use your Dremel for this.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2011-06-23 15:09 ]

T

This n

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-11-18 08:32 ]

T

You

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-11-18 08:33 ]

T

To add your logo or to just put your name on your light.
First make logo mine was done by Sam Gambino And I love it.
You could just use paper, but you should put your name on your light.
Just glue it down first with elmers glue on the back only.
When this dries put glue on the top to cover the paper.
Try not to get much on the wood.
This will seal it in well for when we shellac it.

TIKISKIP lights worldwide, "over 200 made" next one to you.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-12 12:59 ]

T

Cut the bamboo skewers flush with the basket.
Then sand to get even more flush.
Next paint with amber shellac.

"Roses are red, these floats are blue, Send me some money and they belong to you"..."TIKISKIP"

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-12 13:32 ]

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-11-18 08:35 ]

T

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-11-18 08:40 ]

Great stuff Tikiskip, keep it coming.
I never would have thought to grind the inside. Good safety tip.
Hope you are feeling better.

[ Edited by: Trader Mitch 2011-06-29 07:22 ]

T

Thanks Mitch,
We are almost done.
Add the socket and wire as shown in the start of this thread.
Last photo shows the light with the bulb I put into it.
I used a 15 watt amber bulb on this one.
Done!
Questions?

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2011-06-29 08:41 ]

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-11-18 08:38 ]

Great, great GREAT tutorial. Thanks so much for doing that and sharing your knowledge.

I don't think I have any questions right now, but I'm sure I will once I actually start making a light. I have some ideas, now need time and space to do them. :)

Thanks again for a great job.

M

THANKS! Great thread. I'm basket shopping this weekend!

great post tikiskip! glad to see someone take on lamp building. Now if I can just get the hat/basket match done I'm on my way.

Really good job with the tutorial! Great, now the market is going to be flooded with cool homemade lamps! :)

Thanks so much Tikiskip!
I am excited to get started making my own lamp now, but so far interesting baskets have been hard to find.
I guess thats the hardest part huh?

T

Thanks all,
Hope to see some lights you have made posted here.

Ok Lets look into light sockets I know I hit on this
at the start but here is are few more points.
This is an important part of light making.
You will see in the photo I posted three types
of light bases.
There are more out there but these are the main ones we
use to make tiki bar lights lights.
The first base (far left)is called a candelabra type base, the light bulbs used in this socket or base
is a C7 Christmas type light or an "exit" style light bulb or even called a chandelier bulb
at times.
It comes in a wide range of colors and wattages. (I have seen watts as high as 45 watts but none higher)
This base is the best to use I feel as the lights burn with less heat than other bulbs do.
The next base is called an intermediate base this is your C9 Christmas style light.
It does not come in as wide a color or wattage range as the Candelabra type light.
The third type of base is called a standard lamp base, this is the one in your lights at home.
It too comes in a wide range of colors and wattages, plus you can put a fluorescent bulb in it.
I use the candelabra base in most of my lights.
I should add that these are all 120 volt light bases, you can use 130 volt bulbs in these sockets as well.
The 130 volt light bulb is the best to use as these are the long life bulbs.
By under rating the bulb this makes it last longer.
You can get the same under rating benefit by using a dimmer on your lights.

"Roses are red, these floats are blue, Send me some money and they belong to you"..."TIKISKIP"

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-12 13:33 ]

T

Next is the light bulb.
This is a good time of year to look at and for the the bulbs used in these lights.
In my lights I use Christmas light bulbs most of the time.
They don't put out a lot of heat they are small and use little electricity.
The thing to do when using these lights is to frost your glass of the globe you use.
When you frost the globe the light will show up much better than when a clear globe is used.
The frosting of the globe makes the light reflect off of the frosting on the globe and this
makes the light brighter.

The first blub we will look at is the snow globe or also called Lighted Ice. (see first photo)
These bulbs come in many colors, looks like these are 6 watts and use the candelabra socket. (see photo #2)
The Lighted Ice bulbs are good for Fixtures where you will see the bulb. (see photo #3)
You can buy these online Ebay or at flea markets and antique shops/shows around Christmas time and
cost about $3.00 bucks each.

Next is the Starlight bulb, Seen left and right of the Snow globe bulb.
Same as the Lighted Ice only different shape. (see photo #4)
Now is the time to get these lights, Right before Christmas.
I buy them now so I will have them when I need them months from now.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-12 12:56 ]

K

Those bulbs are crazy looking. Never seen anything like those. Nice find, and nice lamp too!

T

Kahaka that is what I call a starfish lamp.
I did not make that one, I have four of those lamps
you can find these cheap sometimes.
I got one off ebay for 8 bucks!
These were sold as souvenirs in Hawaii long ago.
Once saw a post card that had stacks of these at a stand ready to sell to tourist.
Here's one other starfish light I have, this one has coconut as well.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-12 13:34 ]

T

Here's a Coconut lamp now on ebay, Not my auction.
Kinda on the high end of these, but I
don't see them for sale like I used to.
But then go and price the dried sea life that is on this lamp,
or heck even the dam coconuts that size.
This lamp would cost over $100.00 bucks to make.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-VINTAGE-FUNKY-COCONUT-TIKI-LAMP-EARLY-PIECE-C39-/140891280159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cdc6531f

Found one more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HAWAIIAN-COCONUT-LAMPS-COOL-/310505299222?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D3783753335030322924%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D310505299222%26

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-12 12:57 ]

T

Here's a new one.
Painted cork floats, Death to all who paint these corks!
I use these corks to make lights out of.
But with the paint they can't be used.
And it's hard to find these now, the ones on eBay go as high as $10.00 bucks each!
So first use your belt sander to take off paint, not all of the paint but most.
Take care the floats can be sanded away in no time.

¤(¯*•.(¯*•..TIKISKIP..•*´¯).•*´¯)¤

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

T

After you sand lightly with the belt sander next
use your Dremel tool to take off the rest of the paint.

No need to take all of the paint off just yet.
Use your Dremel tool to round off the cork.

Now place the floats in your pond, or you can just hang em outside
in the sun.

This aging in the sun may take up to a year but after that time they will look old and grey again.

-:¦:-•:'"":•.-:¦:-•:TIKISKIP:•-:MAKES:-•:TIKI*:•-:LIGHTS:-•:'"":•.-:¦:-*

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

HT

Skip,
I love seeing that you age things the way I do. There's no better way to age an item than patience, and letting it happen naturally. I have a wooden box that's been outside for a year, bottles collecting actual dust, and all sorts of long term aging. Very cool.

T

Thanks Lucky, but I don't have much patience.
If I could find patina in a can I would spray it on.
There is a way to age wood on line that I want to try on cork.
Will post if it works.

I did get a chance to make some rattan chain.
Used to paint the stuff by hand.
Now I just make a dunk tank and dunk it in shellac.
When I take it out I give it a spin over my head to get off extra, then hang to dry.

•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY from TIKISKIP! Now buy your lover a Light!!

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

HT

I've had success at work with using a combination of paint and stain, severely watered down.

There's a grey stain, that on the can, makes it look like bleached wood. Can't remember who makes it right, now, but you can get it at every Lowe's. Anyway, it sucks. It looks awful. I got it for aging wood, and was severely disappointed. It's not the grey Minwax. HOWEVER, if you water it down quite a bit, and alternate between two layers of that, and a layer of watered down black acrylic, you can get some pretty decent aging.

I can't post pictures, unfortunately, as I've only done it for work, but get a cork stopper and give it a try. I'll look at the can of stain this week and let you know what brand. Minwax has one, but it's a lot more gentle to begin with, and may even work. Dunno, haven't tried it.

(Also, I'm right there with you. If I could spray on age to just about any material, I would. But since I can't, time and the real thing have to do.)

Saw this a while ago Skip, don't know if it would work on cork...

http://youtu.be/PgV3nRpeKgQ

I really enjoy your lamp making tips btw!
Mahalo

[ Edited by: Atomic Mess 2013-02-13 05:24 ]

On 2011-06-29 08:39, tikiskip wrote:
Thanks Mitch,
We are almost done.
Add the socket and wire as shown in the start of this thread.
Last photo shows the light with the bulb I put into it.
I used a 15 watt amber bulb on this one.
Done!
Questions?

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2011-06-29 08:41 ]

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-11-18 08:38 ]

Yes Question please....How do you take it apart to replace the light?
I'm guessing the basket part separates from the top hat...but is it wired or something else?

I see you sometimes you just use Tapa wrapped around...something...what to you make the frame of in this case? I thought I was some type of screen?

Do you just drop the light with the threaded extender and that is stable enough to hold the bulb?

It looks like parts of this post got deleted? Any Chance of restoring it?

Thank you very much for your time in posting this.

-Cheers

Yeah this was some time ago.
The loop on top just screws off and then the hat lifts off and you can get to the bulb.

"I see you sometimes you just use Tapa wrapped around...something...what to you make the frame of in this case? I thought I was some type of screen?"

Well sometimes you glue to a basket or shells, tapa is often used to hide a joint or
opening in your light you want to hide.
But you could also glue it to a screen or clear plastic.

"Do you just drop the light with the threaded extender and that is stable enough to hold the bulb?"

Yes and Yes.

"It looks like parts of this post got deleted? Any Chance of restoring it?"
Stopped doing how toos as not many really seamed to look at em or admit they
looked at them if they did.

Will give it a look.

Thanks and Good luck.

I read 'em, even if I don't reply a lot. But this was a great thread, I'd love to see more!

I think I'm just asking the questions wrong. I understand about the top nut the chain attaches to it unscrews and you have access to the threaded tube. But how does the hat stays attached to the bottom basket. If they are glued together you would not have access to the inside. Is there some kind of frame that is attached to the top of the basket? Is there some way that the bottom basket and the hat are linked together? Some kind of hooks?

Anyone that's done this I'd love help I don't want to annoy Skip too much...haha.

T

Sorry I do get kinda bored with things and then drop em.
After that it's hard for me to go back to things already done.

Kind of like the thrill is gone.

Thanks for your interest.
Have had people PM me about this and that, but I'll be dammed if they would ever post
on my threads.
"Hey Skip quick question about lights, Thanks for your help and don't worry in return I promise
to never utter a good word about you or your work" "Thanks loads"
Color me jaded.

Good luck.
Hope this helps.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-07-28 13:11 ]

Aloha Skip!

Thank you! That is the missing photo now I understand! I thought I was being a knucklehead and missing something....the board across. There are no photos of this on the post looks like the are deleted.

Your patience is amazing and MAHALO!!!!

Stopped doing how toos as not many really seamed to look at em or admit they
looked at them if they did.

This thread is now #1 on our "to study" list. Threads like this are what make TC great!

Love that you put your maker sticker inside the lamp. And that board that it's stuck to, looks like it's got the happy color of orange shellac.

EJ

Thanks for all you share Skip.

T

"it's got the happy color of orange shellac"

Yes it does.
And thanks again mike and marie for the tip on the shell, hope to see you soon.

Thanks to you too El Jefe.

Not much tiki building going on, trying to get as much
summer in as I can before winter comes.

R

Hey skipper,
Loving the flashback thread. It's cool that you posted the hat and basket. I'll add it to my list of "to-do" tiki projects. There are a few of us out here that eat the "instructional" information up...great posts.

Hope summer is fun for you. It's been a real daze here...just flying by. Cutting into my production as well. Just gotta enjoy it while it's here.

Always fun reading your posts.

So I have clearly been a lurker a long time...I came across these things at a place called World market. They are use to cover dinner plates I guess...Link >
http://www.worldmarket.com/product/coconut+top+food+dome.do?&refType=&from=Search

I bought 2 of each of the coconut and bamboo.(the bamboo one is not showing but I got 3 at my store today) They are marked 75% off right now...The coconut one is way cool and has a light metal frame inside. They also had some way cool round lantern that match it to make a bottom it was 75% off too...

I also saw these I'm sure it's not a big deal you but I thought it was brilliant...The price is stupid but the idea is priceless I think?
http://www.worldmarket.com/product/jute+rope+electrical+cord+swag+kit.do?&refType=&from=Search

Hope I'm not braking any rules...And Skip Thank you for the inspiration your awesome!

-Ghost

T

Those could work.
And the price is good, well the cord thing is high but still cool.

The trick is not to let people go "oh I see that is a Mayonnaise jar"
Had a guy do that once, not good.

But it needs to look like it was supposed to be a light, not hold Mayonnaise.

An old bottle or jar that has interest because of it's age may work just stay away from the
Miracle Whip containers.

If you are going to use Flotsam and Jetsam on your light make sure it is cool Flotsam and Jetsam.

Good luck, post pics of what you make.

R

Skip-Just wanted to let you know that I found this Tiki Skip "How To" Lamp School thread a bit enthralling. I don't know how many times I've been back checking it out now. I know you started a while back...but I wanted to mention that there is interest out there for whatever you would like to share. Your a top artist in the tiki genre and any knowledge you can pass on to those of us interested in it is greatly appreciated.

T

Thanks RVICTOR.
Not really been doing much tiki, did have some folks stop by a few weeks ago to
talk tiki it was fun.
Names with held to protect the innocent.

I have been trying to get ideas and light making how to down on paper as there is
a lot of tricks that I have found over the years and want to share them in due time.

May start making and selling in the fall.
Who knows.

But for now....
IT'S A BORE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbE9N6LRpG0
From "Gigi" (1958)
G: What color are the tiki?
H: Brown!
G: What color were they last year?
G: And next year?
G: It's a bore!

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-08-21 07:49 ]

R

Well...after watching that clip I feel like an old man.

Tell you what...At some point I would really like to get my hands on one of those cool cork and float lights of yours...so when you are feeling more "brown"...we should talk. Your lamps are the coolest skip.

And if your contemplating a book, you should give the thing a cover that looks like a stone tablet with a bamboo binding.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 205 replies