Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Is this even LEGAL?!?!

Pages: 1 2 61 replies

Auction is over. Drum roll please....Final sale price......

US $172.50

Ok in that case I am going to do a shag rip-off myself!

T

On 2002-11-16 00:20, SullTiki wrote:
Auction is over. Drum roll please....Final sale price......

US $172.50

UGH! I feel sick! I can't believe that this went for that much. I guess if I could forge the Mona Lisa and put it up on eBay some schlub would buy it. Learn something new everyday.

It may be time to revive this fun thread. This time though, we should probably save the auction pics to a shutterfly or snapfish account so that future viewers will know what the heck we were talking about.

Here is the fine work of the latest shag-forger, um, I mean shag-tributer on eBay:

:down: Original

:down: Incredible Shag-Like Flavor

Auction Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Shag-Like-HULA-STAND-STILL-Original-10-X-10-Sexy_W0QQitemZ7353489410QQcategoryZ20135QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sabu

P

maybe josh should just sell paint by numbers sets. he's probably make some money there.

M

I don't see it, myself. The top one is a Shag, obviously, but the bottom work is clearly signed "Rabb". Oh sure, there is some similarity between the two, but again, I direct your eyes to "Rabb". Case clsoe, judgment in favor of the defendant. Plaintiff to pay all court costs, defendant's attorney fees, and treble damages in the amount of 75,00 French Polynesian Francs.

Judge midnite...copyright law was my specialty, I think. Xeroxed my body parts all over 'SC LAw Review when they rejected me. I was copy boy! Except when the toner ran out, what a biTch that was to fill.

i love how on the rabb picture, the hula girls head suffers major shrinkage, but her chest size remains the same. definite male target audience.

T

I think that painter looks good but anything that has to do with the woman is treble.

Shag coloring book anyone

How about this one for a Shag ripoff??

http://www.bluehipster.com/portfolio/dutchraregroove1.htm

This one is made by http://www.bluehipster.com/

Here you can let him know what you think :wink: :

http://www.bluehipster.com/contact.htm

T

My favorite part is that he has a portfolio. OF RIP-OFFS

At the risk of alienating Shag lovers everywhere--Isn't Shag's art derivative of that whole Fifties animation style? I mean, that's why we LIKE it, right? It's one thing to rip of his actual work, it's another to bestow on him ownership of the whole style.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jan 30, 2006 4:09 AM

Funny, all of those auctions are no longer valid :)

Shag is cool, but I dont think he's overhyped. That still doesnt make it cool to copy his work so closely. Art is about getting inspiration from multiple artists and developing your own style, not just directly copying the art and style of one artist.

Years back I painted a series of Toulouse-Lautrec Prints. He'd done 1oo+years ago.Big Paintings done with an opaque projector.I copied them very well with same brush style & flow. I sold them @ a French Bastielle day festival.I got a Pretty decent price for them. I teach clay and often am a guest of schools & other studios for work shops. People see my work and it gets tried and morphed into the persons "original rendering" of my work. It's blatantly similar in form.They choose the color. Sometimes I laugh and sign it.
I get told my work looks like other artist work and, truthfully, I can't say that it doesn't & it hasn't, sometimes, been influenced by my admiration for the others work. Since there'll never be the chance for me to Buy a Dale Chihuly glass sculpture I sometimes get close to his "style" -but in clay. I crank out dozens of pieces & sell them @ shows. A comment or 5 always comes out by someone but since I know The works been made for 25+ years and I don't recall a single piece,back in the day,for the influence I still consider it my style, bearing my unique feel.but like a strange plant effected by radiation artist "Become" With some practice ,perhaps the artist will develope his "Shagadelic" style.
Direct copy is always a no!no!Making it for yourself for a one shot? Did this guy even try to make prints? Did He give Shag homage for the influence?

I'm Poor in pocket.
But rich in soul.
Just wait till I die !
It'll be worth gold!

B

On 2006-01-30 04:09, hewey wrote:
Funny, all of those auctions are no longer valid :)

Yeah, eBay has the pesky habit of deleting 3.5 year old auctions.

Pages: 1 2 61 replies