Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Shrunken Heads and Headhunters Art Swap - Draw List p20

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 372 replies

OK, I'll update - started working on a mold today (crappy cellphone picture)

We'll see what happens; the sculpt is a little too complicated for my mold-making skills, but I guess that's how you grow :D

Molds are hard. I spend a lot of time checking for undercuts on my mugs before I send them on. I hope it works out perfectly, Wendy

A

Am done. Are people posting final pix or wait til we trade?

POST IT AMYBEAN!
It'll get more folks stoked
and maybe even corrall some fenceriders
to make some shrunken head beauties!

A

Some lucky winner gets my (first ever) hand and machine stitched (plus silicone glue) Sparkle Vinyl Shrunken Head Portrait !!
Measures approx 11 1/2" x 10 1/2 " x 3/4" and is mounted on cardboard, so it's super light. Hard to photograph with all the shiny.

Anyhow, it gave me all kinds of new ideas and I learned a lot while making it. Thanks for the motivation and,
of course, favorite topic, everyone!

BT

Looks great amybean, I'd hang it for sure.

We still have a few weeks so I think that's still time to start and finish. (Yeah right eh? still need to wrap mine up....)

Very nice Amy, both gold and green sparkle vinyl!

Here's my start:

Bawha-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a!

oh dear......

:lol:

How many more days we got on this?

Help, I've been told by Bullet that my bottom shrunken head is a Rastafarian because of the braids. It's easy enough to take them out and have it just be long hair. Would that be preferable? Wendy

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Mar 25, 2010 8:50 AM

yes

I think it's great just as it is. Who's to say a rasta couldn't have been shrunken anyway?

BTW, rasta have natty dreads, not clean braids :wink:

V

Well - good news and bad news.
FINALLY getting some clay time in, and I'm experimenting with a few pieces that would work for this swap. Bad news? It is March 25! Chances of these fellows being ready on the 15th of April are, well, slim. My fingers are crossed, though, and I'll keep you all posted!

Henrik

Well, I'd wait but I can't speak for others :wink:

V

So here are the first two "framed face" experiments. I've (fingers crossed) done my best to calculate shrinkage so these will fit nicely into a 4x6 picture frame so you can hang them on the wall. A shrunken-head-y fellow and an zombie-esque fellow:

Like I said - these will most likely not be ready in time - but as this challenge gave me the idea for the framed faces, I wanted to share the photo!

Mahalo,
Henrik

A

I am freaking out, VanTiki!

The work that has been completed,the work coming...all fantastic!
If my vote means anything I'll say I can wait longer for all entries to be completed as well.
It's fun to see everybodys take on the theme!

Z

I'd wait... those are too cool not to be included!
~Zero

L

Henrik are you kidding me???????????????????????

A
M
A
Z
I
N
G
!
!
!
!
!
!

"Peasant Under Glass"
Plain $10 goat skin shrunken head from ebay. Stitched the eyes and mouth shut. Adorned with bone beads and bones in the nose.
I'll be traveling from April 15th-April 25th. Whoever ends up being my swap partner, please PM me and be patient. I'll ship as soon as I get back.

[ Edited by: blisskitchen 2010-03-25 20:58 ]

V

Mahalo Liz and Amy!

You inspired me to do one more after lunch. Put some holes in the lips for some future stitching. We'll see which of the 3 get into the swap. Hope they dry out fast (but not too fast)!

PS - this photo is "pre-freckles"

Henrik

T

Van tiki is in so am I.
Ill be posting some pics this friday!
You guys rock!!!!!!

T

Aloha, all...

My name is Jason and I am new here to TC, new to tiki collecting and newer to the art world as well. I found my first tiki mug at a thrift store and a week later ran into Doug Horne at a local show, picked up one of his limited edition prints and haven't looked back!

I have been reading through these forums for awhile and have been inspired by the many artists who graciously share their work, technique, wisdom and lives. This community seems incredible and I look forward to developing some lasting friendships.

I would like to contribute to the swap... hope a newbie like me can join in the fun. Is that cool with you guys?

Thanks so much... and a special thank you to you, Ken Ruzic... I've read and re-read your Creating Tiki thread and have been incredibly inspired. You are amazing... as an artist and just the way your personality and genuine kindness flows through your posts. Awesome stuff!

Well, let me know if I can be a part of the swap...

Peace,
Jason

L

On 2010-03-26 01:57, TikiDaye wrote:
Well, let me know if I can be a part of the swap...

Peace,
Jason

Welcome!

and YES! the more the merrier! Best way to become a contributing member on TC is to jump in with both feet so get to getting on with the shrunken head action!

On 2010-03-26 01:57, TikiDaye wrote:
Aloha, all...

My name is Jason and I am new here to TC, new to tiki collecting and newer to the art world as well. I found my first tiki mug at a thrift store and a week later ran into Doug Horne at a local show, picked up one of his limited edition prints and haven't looked back!

I have been reading through these forums for awhile and have been inspired by the many artists who graciously share their work, technique, wisdom and lives. This community seems incredible and I look forward to developing some lasting friendships.

I would like to contribute to the swap... hope a newbie like me can join in the fun. Is that cool with you guys?

Noticed you are in Scottsdale. If you haven't already, I'd reccomend happy hour at Drift Lounge and dinner at Trader Vics. I've actually written in a stop there on a 2000 mile motorcycle ride in May to celebrate my B-day at Hotel Valley Ho and Trader Vics.

[ Edited by: Blisskitchen 2010-03-26 07:28 ]

[ Edited by: Blisskitchen 2010-03-26 07:29 ]

I was gone a few days and there was an EXPLOSION of activity on this tread!

Wendy - Don't you worry about Bullet and his ganja-addled brain, I think the braids are fine.

VanTiki - STELLAR! As always. Can't wait to see the finished products.

Bliss - "Peasant Under Glass" :lol: Looks cool!

TikiDaye - Welcome to TC and to your first art swap.

Well, I busted up my plaster original making a mold - if the mold doesn't work I'm back to step one. Speaking of molds, this is easily the ugliest mold I have ever seen. But if it produces a workable casting I'm OK with that :D

(crappy cell phone pic but it actually looks better blurry)

T

Awesome...thanks for the opportunity...

...currently jumping in with both feet!

Peace,
Jason <

Z

Welcome, Tikidaye! Hope you have a great swapper! I have been doing the art (and mug) swaps for a little while now on TC, and they are always fun!
~Zero

Tikidaye and Blisskitchen, welcome to a wonderful group. You will find such a variety of people, there are artists, collectors, comedians, musicians and bar tenders. Some who are all of the above. There is nothing but fun and new friends in your futures. I can't wait to see what you make for the swap. Most of all just have fun with it. Wendy

__
Maddogmike I already changed it before I read your post. Bullet is happy._______________

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2010-03-26 18:02 ]

T

Alright i got some wrk done hope you guys Like.
zheres a teaser// Just kidding?

A

me likes!

Me2 :) !

wow... very cool!

it's exciting and inspiring to see all the cool art!

I feel a bit overwhelmed by all you pros but love the idea of being together in community...

thanks for all the warm welcomes!

I've been dreaming about little shrunken heads and am excited (bit a little intimidated?) to share my piece with you all soon...

thanks again!

peace,
Jason <

Ya know the thing about shrunken heads is... they don't become really shrunkeny heady until you lace the eyes and mouth... that's what I'm discovering.

BT

Awesome tikigodz, got a ton of personality. The wood grain looks cool too.

I offer up a tableau of three shrunken heads:

T

Detail added but not quite done.

T

Tikigodz - looking great... loving the bone thru the nose! great stuff!

Tikigodz, looks great - lots of character. My tiki space is a patio, your art looks substantial enough to withstand the elements.

Bongo - that's just creepin' me out :lol: Great interpretation of the theme - who ate the chicken?

PS Wendy, looks great with the hair unbraided too.

T

Done just got to seal him up and Mike you can put him anywere!

BT

Nice, I thought you were all done with the first pic but the pinstriping and skulls really add to it alot. Great piece.

Okay- i'm officially in.....i've been swamped with work and was hoping i could whip up something different but i'm gonna throw my hat into the ring with one of my shrunken head swag lamps.....comes with 12 ft of chain and cord, ready to hang- ceiling hook kit included. Here's pics of my offering for the swap.....

Perfect Tikigodz!!!

Tipsy, I remember right that's a ceramic lamp right? Nice addition to the art pool!

This swap is getting interesting. Nice work ya'll!

OH YA!
There is some killericious stuff
galloping toward the finishing line!
AWESOME!

Oh Yeah. I held two of those lamps at Bullets, just wait until we finish that room. All of you Southern California guys are gonna wanna cruize up here for the tiki crawl around October. The Buzzy bedroom has room for two! Great art everyone, this is a blast! Wendy

A

Hey Wendy- where is "up here" ?

Wow, there's some killer art happening up in here! You are all great inspirations, so I'm in for this Swap as well. Better late than never, just like taxes and April 15th! Now I gotta put my thinking pendant on...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 372 replies