Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

making a career out of tikis

Pages: 1 9 replies

i recently got my hours cut where i work, and was thinking of becoming a full time carver to pay the bills. i figure if i work 8 hours a day, and make 5 a week, then sell them on the side of the road on the weekends, i could make a living. what do you think?

im sure you guys sell your tikis all the time, how well does it go for you? whats the most you made? tell me some stories about selling tikis im very interested.

if i make enough this weekend im quitting my job and working at home doing what i love. wouldnt that be sick?

H

Where do you live? It's hard for us to judge how roadside sales will do without knowing where that road is.
Additionally, you need to show us some samples of your work.

i live in tyler texas.. not a real tropical place, but lots of rich people with nice pools to put them by. ill be puttin up some work pretty soon

In Texas and this economy maybe you shouldn't limit yourself to just carving tikis. Armadillos perhaps? Tiki armadillos.

I think with Tiki sculpting, just like with any art, it is a calling and a passion first, and only for a lucky few a "career". I do not carve Tikis out of wood literally, I "carve" them out of history, and have not been able to make a living out of it ever since I got the fever many years ago. As an additional pastime, and with being at the right place, right time, you might be able to supplement your income, though. But with the recession still lingering, the right time might not be here yet.

Braddah, I say Go For It... But don't quit the job until you now you can sell them... I'd get a few finished and see how it goes first..
If it seems like it going to work and you can carve enough in a week to make a living.. SHOOTS!!
Maybe don't limit yourself just to carving tiki's but some other things as well maybe?

Good luck

T

Don't quit the day job! But you should still go for road side carving! Maybe the market isn't flooded there like in Cali so who knows? Don't be put off by the lowballers, but don't charge too much. Moving, finding and storing logs is the worst part of carving. It's fun at first but when you need the logs they're the hardest to find.Even if you have 6 tikis roadside you'll still need to sell the idea of escape. A palm frawnhat a thatched umbrella or better yet a hut.

And if you haven't carved before, don't copy anybody elses tikis. Look at vintage or even Oceanic art history books for the best grounding!

im not gonna quit my job, i need to get a second one actually. maybe i should try sellin them at retail shops, i know a few places that would buy them. my parents live on 11 acres that is completely covered with a pine wood forest.. so i have enough logs, just not enough time.

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Jul 29, 2009 2:57 PM

It'll take time my friend, plenty of time.

Develop your style, stick with it, and eventually you'll be searched out by default.
You will make your Texas studio a destination for road warriors driving back and forth from coast to coast. You kinda get my drift I hope.

May hard work and determination realize your dreams :)

There are a couple of guys on the side of the road on the way to Destin who make a living as full time carvers, but they do other stuff besides just tikis. I hope it pans out for you...best of luck!

Pages: 1 9 replies