Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Washington Post Tiki Article 6/10/2009

Pages: 1 13 replies

R

One restaurant in Georgetown is bringing tiki drinks to its menu:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2009/06/08/ST2009060803493.html

And they even talked to the Bum, too! Nice article, although the cocktails in the photo seem to be slightly off in their identification/location.

W

Interesting article, but then, most anything about Tiki is interesting. I have to wonder though if some of these post modern, deconstructionist, pseudo liberal newspaper writers don't grossly over analyze. Consider from the first paragraph:

"Tiki drinks occupy a space somewhere in the Venn diagram of the American psyche where escapism, irony and kitsch overlap, cutting across so many cultural divides."*

It seems as though they always have to identify tiki, to compartmentalize it and somewhat isolate it. Face it. . ..when it comes to Tiki, you either "Get it" or you "Don't get it."

And, like our brethren who espouse that famous south of the border drink, (made with Tequila you know. . ) Take this article like that drink, with a grain of salt.

*Copyright Washington post, Wed, June 10, 2009

T

The restaurant is in Georgetown called the Agraria we went there on the 1st day they were supposed to serve drinks from the Tiki menu. Aside from a decent Hurricane, their Mai Tai & Zombie really needed some WORK.The place has 100% Certified ZERO Tiki atmosphere. IMO that doesn't cut it @ $12.00 a drink! Thortiki

On 2009-06-10 14:05, whorton wrote:
Interesting article, but then, most anything about Tiki is interesting. I have to wonder though if some of these post modern, deconstructionist, pseudo liberal newspaper writers don't grossly over analyze. Consider from the first paragraph:

"Tiki drinks occupy a space somewhere in the Venn diagram of the American psyche where escapism, irony and kitsch overlap, cutting across so many cultural divides."*

newspaper reporters occupy a space somewhere in the venn diagram where a liberal arts degree, a smug sense of superiority, and yellow journalism overlap in an outdated business model that is better suited as packing material than reading material.

ps. i have a liberal arts degree, with a journalism minor. writing snarky posts on the internet is about the only benefit it afforded me.

W

newspaper reporters occupy a space somewhere in the venn diagram where a liberal arts degree, a smug sense of superiority, and yellow journalism overlap in an outdated business model that is better suited as packing material than reading material.

Too Funny! I have to thank you for making me smile on an otherwise VERY BAD DAY. So apropos!

W

On 2009-06-10 14:56, exquisitecorpse wrote:

On 2009-06-10 14:05, whorton wrote:

ps. i have a liberal arts degree, with a journalism minor. writing snarky posts on the internet is about the only benefit it afforded me.

Can I use that as a signature line? It's a long story but I work in the Navy's formerly journalist rate. (A merger kind of put me in that line of work)

On 2009-06-12 08:39, Wayfarer wrote:

On 2009-06-10 14:56, exquisitecorpse wrote:

Can I use that as a signature line? It's a long story but I work in the Navy's formerly journalist rate. (A merger kind of put me in that line of work)

go for it.

B

I don't get it,
after so many articles in the press that trashed tiki culture and tiki people this guys says something nice about both and all you can do is slam him.

W

Buster,

The import of my comments was not to slam the writer per-se, but an observation on what was said. Interestingly enough, Another observer noted that the place the article was written about, had ZERO tiki atmosphere. Just some tiki drinks that were mediocre at best.

Why the need to embellish the article with so much information about the history of tiki culture for an article about a place that offers a few tiki drinks?

It was an interesting article, but his attempt to explain the appeal of tiki culture WAS a little over the top!

B

I guess we may have to agree to disagree on this one.
I still feel it was kind of a personal attack and when you really look at what he was saying he is a total tiki fan. The article wasn't about the place in question but about tiki drinks along with a pocket sized history of tiki that he nailed, with the exception of mislabeling the drink, he needs a slap on the hand for. When he was talking to Beach Bum Barry, he totally nailed why tiki drinks got so bad for a while and what you should be demanding of your cocktail. There is a lot I agree with in his intro (even though slightly high handed, meant as a joke that didn't work) I mean tiki is escapism in its purest and most unashamed form. I might even go along with the kitsch side too because tiki should be fun and not take itself to seriously. As for universal appeal, yea with people that aren't all tied up in how cool they are so that was helpful too.
So he really said a lot of good things that would play with a lot of people.
A man that can speak to what a Mai Tai should be is ok in my book.

On 2008-07-02 12:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
...but that lead in is further proof of what I have observed recently:

The Tiki revival seems to get a second boost nowadays thru the backdoor of the cocktail, largely thanks to the work of Jeff Berry, who landed several NY Times articles since Sippin' Safari was published. My "Tiki Modern" in turn has had no significant American reviews or notices worth mentioning (..yet 23 write ups throughout Europe!). I appears that a Zombie is much easier digested by the journalists then the bulky, rough esthetic of WITCO ! :D

W

Hey, we need to remember,

Tiki is so much MORE than just drinks, it's a lifestyle. . . Man does not live by Mai Tai alone!

(Well most don't)

"witco in the whitehouse" has a nice ring to it...

Is there some sekrit law of journalism that requires all articles about Tiki to have the word "Tacky" in the title?

A fine piece otherwise. I have to go back and study my Venn diagrams now.

Pages: 1 13 replies