Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Portland, June 20-22

Pages: 1 5 replies

C

On my way home from Seattle [the similarly titled thread just below this one] I'll be stopping to visit my former in-laws in Portland. I'd love to check out the local tiki or tropical themed places in the area. Anyone up for showing a stranger around the tiki scene? Otherwise, any recommendations? I'll check critiki of course, but any added info is welcome.

Goin' where the weather suits my clothes.

[ Edited by: chiwito 2009-06-02 01:17 ]

RB

For drinks and tiki goodness, gotta make stops at Thatch & the Alibi...both on Critiki.

C

On 2009-06-02 06:21, Rum Balls wrote:
For drinks and tiki goodness, gotta make stops at Thatch & the Alibi...both on Critiki.

I've seen both mentioned on here, always positively, and I'll definitely try to get to both. They seem to be the epicenters of any tiki evening in PDX. Thanks.

W

If you can only hit one and you like good tropical drinks make it Thatch. All the drinks we've had have been excellent and the decor is great.

If you want to see a really swell original era Tiki joint and either don't drink or don't care about the quality of your drinks go to the Alibi. (They do have good bar/classic American type food. And the Bloody Mary is pretty good.)

Late afternoon is ideal for the Alibi. It's rarely busy and you can wander around the joint and take it all in.

You should try and go to both Thatch and the Alibi. It can be easily done in one afternoon.

C

You should try and go to both Thatch and the Alibi. It can be easily done in one afternoon.

No worries. I'll get my nephew to drive me to both on our way home from Powell's. Thanks for the info.

T

If you like nautical stuff, check out Dan and Louis' Oyster Bar downtown. Great vintage ship interior and so close to Voodoo Donuts.

Pages: 1 5 replies