Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Moloka'i is Celebrating Father Damien

Pages: 1 4 replies

If you are interested in learning more about Father Damien this website http://www.fatherdamien.com is very informative about his life on Moloka'i at Kalaupapa (the leprosy colony). Kalaupapa is celebrating the canonization of Father Damien into sainthood in October 2009. He is part of the history of the Hawaiian islands. If you visit Moloka'i please visit Kalaupapa and be a part of our Hawaiian history. There is also the Store to click on to purchase items which also contribute to the travel expenses of the patients on Kalaupapa to travel to Rome.

M

The entire history of Kalaupapa and it's residents is astonishing. The sadness and fears of all who were sent away is something most Americans can't relate to. The many stories of disabled patients who made the most of life's 'opportunities' dispite the horrors is something all should become aquainted with. This is where the true beauty of Hawaii lies.

Your words are very true! To appreciate what these people had to go through, talk to one of the kapunas who still live there and you will see it in their eyes. It touches one's soul.

Fr. Damien was so selfless he succombed as well.
Only appropriate he (or his right hand) is buried there!

UT

Two very good books about Father Damien I have read are "Damien the Leper" 1937 by John Farrow and "The Colony" by John Tayman. Both well worth the time to read.

Pages: 1 4 replies