Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

home tiki bar rebuild underway

Pages: 1 27 replies

Destruction mode underway... to be rebuilt stronger/better.

Very nice looking place you have.
Do you have any pics of before the demo.
What are you planning to do?

On 2009-05-30 21:47, Lightning Steve wrote:
Very nice looking place you have.
Do you have any pics of before the demo.
What are you planning to do?

Thanks LS. In my infinite wisdom and settling three years ago, i went forward with non-pressure treated wood. I just recently had the electric put in, and was about to start tiling the inner portion when I realized how much worse off the wood was than I thought it would be. I began the process of disassembly to pull out the bad wood, and after a few removals, decided to scrap the whole thing (with exception of the only PT pieces, the 4x4 uprights) and start over.

I'll be changing the design slightly, instead of making a full four sided bar, i'll have a bar across the front, and counter across the back left side with sink. That should open up the view of the pond out back a bit and allow for placing some tropical plants inside the back of the bar.

-adrian

It's been a loooong day. My buddy Dave came by with all his construction tools (and talent) and we worked from around 9am-7pm. The new tiki bar roof frame is up!!

-adrian

[ Edited by: MobileTikiBar 2009-05-31 18:43 ]

The tiki bar had its first guest. While working all day, we left one of the screen doors open. This small bird decided that the pond out back wasn't enough water, so he walked his way into the patio. We tried chasing him out, but he kept going the wrong direction. Eventually we cornered him and were able to grab him. Carried outside and flew away.

http://www.rumreviews.com

[ Edited by: MobileTikiBar 2009-05-31 18:36 ]

[ Edited by: MobileTikiBar 2009-05-31 19:05 ]

Awesome looking place...what a fun first guest!!! [Safety Goggles?] Do you ever get any gators at your door?

L

I am from Tampa so I had a question about building such a structure on your patio. You must get hit with hurricane winds...your structure hold up pretty well?

On 2009-05-31 20:16, VampiressRN wrote:
Awesome looking place...what a fun first guest!!! [Safety Goggles?] Do you ever get any gators at your door?

Used to see one regularly, but it's been gone for about a year. Every hunting season you see trappers in the woods back there.

-adrian

On 2009-05-31 20:24, leleliz wrote:
I am from Tampa so I had a question about building such a structure on your patio. You must get hit with hurricane winds...your structure hold up pretty well?

Been lucky so far!!

-adrian

dear Mobile Tiki Bar,
why is your backyard like a Giant Birdcage?

do you have birds or other animals you dont want to get out?

Or is that to keep Mosquitoes, and or other bugs/animals out?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-06-01 19:11, bigtikidude wrote:
dear Mobile Tiki Bar,
why is your backyard like a Giant Birdcage?

do you have birds or other animals you dont want to get out?

Or is that to keep Mosquitoes, and or other bugs/animals out?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Mosquitos in Florida?? Between the mosquitos, no-see-'ems, love-bugs, an oasis next to a pond can be a bit difficult to handle. Screen rooms are extremely common in Florida, especially around pools where some type of barrier is a legal need (either wood fence, screen room, removable fencing, alarmed doors, etc). Much different than when I lived in Berkeley or State College, PA; you could enjoy the fresh air w/o being locked up in a screen room for protection.

-adrian

so for bugs and the law?

ok thanks,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

UB

On 2009-05-31 18:33, MobileTikiBar wrote:
The tiki bar had its first guest. While working all day, we left one of the screen doors open. This small bird decided that the pond out back wasn't enough water, so he walked his way into the patio. We tried chasing him out, but he kept going the wrong direction. Eventually we cornered him and were able to grab him. Carried outside and flew away.

Beautiful bird (and Tiki bar).
Do you know the type of seabird that is?

On 2009-06-01 21:47, Unga Bunga wrote:
Beautiful bird (and Tiki bar).
Do you know the type of seabird that is?

I'll take a stab at it. I don't know my east coast birds that well, but I'll guess a cattle egret Bubulcus ibis

More info at the sibley page.

It obviously likes tiki and just wanted to come in and lend a hand..er...feather.

Nice job on the build so far - it looks like a very sturdy structure!

Artificial thatch acquired, as well as bamboo for the front of the bar!

-adrian

Wow, can't wait to see the finished product. Can you come build one in our yard?? I've been bugging my hubby to start the build, we have a raised concrete pad in the back corner next to the pond/waterfall and our tropical plants.

Can you give any pointers to us laymen? Advise to avoid any issues that are unforseen?

Your place is amazing. We have a greenbelt behind our fence but not the view you have, it's great!

On 2009-06-03 10:45, TikiMookie wrote:
Wow, can't wait to see the finished product. Can you come build one in our yard?? I've been bugging my hubby to start the build, we have a raised concrete pad in the back corner next to the pond/waterfall and our tropical plants.

Can you give any pointers to us laymen? Advise to avoid any issues that are unforseen?

Your place is amazing. We have a greenbelt behind our fence but not the view you have, it's great!

I can't wait to see how it finishes up too... I'm definitely no expert at this, that's for sure. We were pretty lucky when home shopping to fall into this place, we originally were to have a house in the same subdivision but not on the water, then had issues with the builder and permits, and almost cancelled out of our contract. They said to go check out this house and that the buyer was unable to complete the sale. It's the same model, a few more upgrades, and they worked the price out pretty well for us. Six years later, still happy (especially since adding the pool/deck).

Some pointers:

Use pressure treated or marine grade wood if the structure will be outside in the elements. It's not worth saving a few dollars to not get it.

If you thatch it with natural material, plan the replacement labor and cost into your decision. The natural material I put on the first bar was pretty much ruined in 3 years, and had lots of critters (ants, spiders, etc) in it, which made it a real joy to tear out. This time I'm going with an artificial thatching from amaZulu http://www.amazuluinc.com/fiber-thatch-regular-fiber-thatch-regular.htm ... I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

-adrian

Don't give up. Give it away now.

thatching has begun!

I was able to get one more row in between the rain showers.

The roof is almost done. It's difficult to finish the peak from underneath, need to pull a piece or two off and reposition.

-adrian

A quick (and not perfect) pano of the patio area, next weekend I should be starting the bar and countertop.

-adrian

T

Palms frowns all around you...why go for store bought?

On 2009-06-09 13:16, Trestiki wrote:
Palms frowns all around you...why go for store bought?

The last roof I had was all natural and began rotting after about 1.5yrs and was bad by 2.5yrs.

With the low height of the screen room, I'm not able to put a strong pitch on the roof, which means it collects more water than normal, rotting faster.

The artificial thatch should last 12-20yrs, so I figure the effort spent now will save me the cost and time of rethatching three-five times.

-adrian

[ Edited by: MobileTikiBar 2009-06-09 21:16 ]

Did you staple it or use the clip system?

That stuff is a trip. It's like Trex decking but Thatch!

We used screws with washers at Luau in Beverly Hills.

Did the underside too. Into metal.

Yo adrian.
where did all the pic images go on this thread - I only see red X's - bummer

On 2009-06-09 22:00, RevBambooBen wrote:
Did you staple it or use the clip system?

That stuff is a trip. It's like Trex decking but Thatch!

We used screws with washers at Luau in Beverly Hills.

Did the underside too. Into metal.

Stapled, although the clip system looked pretty neat for an umbrella setup. They had some interesting looking material for the underside of a finished roof, 4x8 shets of simulated thatching that staple/glue up.

-adrian

On 2009-06-10 05:00, jpmartdog wrote:
Yo adrian.
where did all the pic images go on this thread - I only see red X's - bummer

All fixed!

-adrian

Pages: 1 27 replies