Tiki Central / Other Crafts

squid stuff in the works- PNG inspired drum pendants Pg 18

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 298 replies

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 12, 2009 12:16 AM

Mine!!!

Jeez Squid!!

@#$%!

Can't you take a 5 minute break from being too talented?

Awesome pendants Squid!
Cloud rower's gonna be sweet!

:D SQUID ART = SMILES :D

Cannibal inspired by Mai-Kai and Doug Horne.

COOL pendants! :D

Do I sense a mug collaboration?... :wink: wink...wink...nod...nod :)

S

On 2009-06-12 01:22, Bora Boris wrote:
Jeez Squid!!

@#$%!

OK. Break's over. Since y'all seem to like the concept sketches, it's time for Squidoodles, little scribbles I keep doing for no apparent reason. I like this one enough I think I'll do a large version. This one's only about 3" x 5".

More as I do them and find old ones. Enjoy!

Maybe Tiki Shark should just paint this one and save me the trouble!!!! Hello BRAD???????

[ Edited by: squid 2009-06-21 23:12 ]

yes!
More Concept Sketches!
they reals good...

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jun 21, 2009 11:19 PM

Hey Squidster, that would look great if somebody like Tikishark were to paint it. You're already doing artist collaborations with Gecko, what about a collaboration with Brad?

CJ

disney should hire you!

On 2009-06-21 23:11, squid wrote:

On 2009-06-12 01:22, Bora Boris wrote:
Jeez Squid!!

@#$%!

OK. Break's over. Since y'all seem to like the concept sketches, it's time for Squidoodles, little scribbles I keep doing for no apparent reason. I like this one enough I think I'll do a large version. This one's only about 3" x 5".

More as I do them and find old ones. Enjoy!

Maybe Tiki Shark should just paint this one and save me the trouble!!!! Hello BRAD???????

I'll take that one too!

What's my tab at now $12.00?

don't forget California Sales Tax!

B

Boris always gets the good stuff :)

Very cool and entertaining adaptation of the western pillage of the islands....I haven't seen anyone touching on this subject matter in anyway...

Leave it to Master Squids to keep breaking new ground in this little movement of ours"

RAWK ON!

S

On 2009-06-22 09:42, Babalu wrote:
Boris always gets the good stuff :)

Very cool and entertaining adaptation of the western pillage of the islands....I haven't seen anyone touching on this subject matter in anyway...

Leave it to Master Squids to keep breaking new ground in this little movement of ours"

RAWK ON!

Yeah Baba, I was just having fun and --- POOOOF! --- instant heavy social commentary!

Perhaps it's a comment about this little movement...

Don't worry Kinny, I know Boris is good for it. (In liquid form). Make mine a Mai Tai, please!

Joe, I'll let Disney license it from me :D

Thanks for all the comments. Please go listen to obscure 60s bands from all over the globe:

http://www.garagehangover.com

AND come to the Tonga Hut Saturday @ 8:00 PM for a Tikiyaki Airways commuter flight. Enjoy free peanuts and a full body cavity search by our cheerful TSA agent! Hey, Boris can buy me that drink there...

[ Edited by: squid 2009-06-22 15:31 ]

B

Yeah Baba, I was just having fun and --- POOOOF! --- instant heavy social commentary!

Perhaps it's a comment about this little movement...

That's DEEP Dude! ....puff puff hold...ahhhhh

Squid, that's awesome! I'd paint it, but I could never do it justice - (I'm just a hack still learning to paint.)

That is an interesting deeper meaning. Are we swiping plundered cultural bootie? Of course, if you leave your defunct religious cultural icons just laying around where anyone can get to them, and you don't seem to be really doing much with them your self, who's to say it's not up for grabs?
Mostly here the reaction to my tiki art, here on da' Big Island, is one of amused enjoyment. It's sad how few tikis you see around here! I think Hawaiians are happy to see a decent reference to old Hawaii and not have this place succumb to Californication.

Tiki Shark

http://www.tikishark.com
http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land
Proud Sponsor of The Cocktail Nation
http://www.cocktailnation.net/

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-06-22 13:20 ]

L

I really love the Mai Kai pendant. Great work as always Squid !

S
squid posted on Mon, Jun 22, 2009 4:09 PM

On 2009-06-22 13:17, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Squid, that's awesome! I'd paint it, but I could never do it justice - (I'm just a hack still learning to paint.)

That is an interesting deeper meaning. Are we swiping plundered cultural bootie? Of course, if you leave your defunct religious cultural icons just laying around where anyone can get to them, and you don't seem to be really doing much with them your self, who's to say it's not up for grabs?
Mostly here the reaction to my tiki art, here on da' Big Island, is one of amused enjoyment. It's sad how few tikis you see around here! I think Hawaiians are happy to see a decent reference to old Hawaii and not have this place succumb to Californication.

You, sir would do it much justice! Hack? I think not.

But anyhoo...

I totally see the side of reviving the defunct cultural icons. Valid and appreciated as you say. But I also see it this way: Who caused (or forced upon them, politely or otherwise) the adaptation of new religious doctrines? The same ethnic group (mostly) that is currently exploiting their original belief system.

I'm not saying it's all a bad thing but self-examination within the "movement" is not a bad thing either. I may have crossed into tabu territory here, but it does deserve discussion.

And I was just scribblin' a silly picture...

Liz- Thanks for the kudos! I like them lil' bastards too :)

S
squid posted on Tue, Jun 23, 2009 1:31 PM

Some tweaking to the first one and a previous scene. I gotta stop drinking coffee at night!!!!!!!

quit drinkin KWAWFEE!?!?!?

Heaven Forbid!
We wants to see some more skwetches!

next time try sketching on......
ZIPFIZZ!

i know you got a TON of more stories to tell us
with your art!

he looks like somebody's brother...i just can't recall at the moment

P
pdrake posted on Fri, Jul 3, 2009 9:54 PM

what be the latest on the cloud rower?

UI

On 2009-06-10 13:48, pdrake wrote:
can you tell me what and where on the white wax.
the blue and red wax i'm using make it a little more difficult to see details.

Yes, I'm having that same problem, Red, Blue, Green, Purple wax.
Hard to see the shadows properly.

The hard White Wax sounds like a good idea. A quick search online came up empty.

[ Edited by: Unkl Ian 2009-07-04 18:33 ]

I totally see the side of reviving the defunct cultural icons. Valid and appreciated as you say. But I also see it this way: Who caused (or forced upon them, politely or otherwise) the adaptation of new religious doctrines? The same ethnic group (mostly) that is currently exploiting their original belief system.

Heck ya1
look at all great cultures!
We celebrate our pillaging
i mean...look what happened to art
when the ROMANS
conquered the GREEKS
ART flourished

BUT!
THE REST of the culture
became corrupted
and filled with libations and debauchery
and eventually brought the whole thing down!

BUT
the art remains beautiful and inspiring
and M-MMMMM GOOD!

I'm not saying it's all a bad thing but self-examination within the "movement" is not a bad thing either. I may have crossed into tabu territory here, but it does deserve discussion.

YAY for real Art talk!

T

Great stuff, love the happy Cannibal.

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Jul 6, 2009 3:19 PM

Squid -

Looking at the last two sketches..I can't help but think Marx "Nutty Mads"!!

Those two are just SCREAMING 3 dimensional plastic injection molded figures. (Hey - uhm ?!!)

T

I agree with TikiG... Those two would be great as model kits, like Silly Surfers or Weird-Ohs!

And Squid, those pendants are AMAZING!!! What material is that?

S
squid posted on Thu, Jul 9, 2009 8:31 PM

Hey G! I love those Marx Nutty Mads and Weird-Ohs. I have a few stashed in my Hot Wheels and Lance Link lunch boxes!!
I'd love to make stuff like that but injection-molding tooling is in the tens of thousands... sigh

Tobunga! And model kits would be fun too. I put out a couple of resin garage kits in the 90s. Hmmmmm.... You guys are both instigators!!!

The Cannibal pendant is wax. The Rarotongan on the right is wax and one on the left is a resin cast from the wax version.

I'll have some pics of the finished cannibals tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for stoppin' by!

S
squid posted on Thu, Jul 9, 2009 10:40 PM

Test batch ahoy!

These will be available at Tiki Oasis at my Artists' Alley booth. I'll be combining forces with Little Lost Tiki but don't let that keep you from visiting!! Just look for Pappy Haggler's Bargin Barn and Pettin' Zoo.

Stay tuned for some interesting variations on these little fellers.

On 2009-07-09 22:40, squid wrote:
I'll be combining forces with Little Lost Tiki... look for Pappy Haggler's Bargin Barn and Pettin' Zoo.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :o ** FREE PUPPIES?!!! ** :o :) :) :) :) :) :)

C

On 2009-07-09 22:40, squid wrote:

Test batch ahoy!

LOVE!!!!!! WANT!!!!!

These will be available at Tiki Oasis at my Artists' Alley booth. I'll be combining forces with Little Lost Tiki but don't let that keep you from visiting!! Just look for Pappy Haggler's Bargin Barn and Pettin' Zoo.

I thought it was a PIGLET petting zoo????? I wanna see PIGLETS, please :D

Saw and felt these lil cuties a couple of days back!
Nice and chunky,yet compact
Semi-teeny but not too hefty
and altogether full of surprises!

the mustard/gold/yellowy ones taste like cheetos,in case you were wondering!

and yes Carolyn,
we'll be giving away ALL puppies and piglets Sunday Afternoon
right before we shut down!
All unclaimed beasts will be released!

Don't wanna haul them back to the OC...

:lol: GREAT trio! Cool little personalities, too!
OaSiS SOON!

S

Wow! Working with LLT has its advantages! He answers all the questions ON MY THREAD!!! I'll just kick back now....

Yer welcome!

I did forget to tell the kind folks
about the flavors of the 2 other pendant colors.

I'll let you answer that...
:)

Ooooh cute. Looks like chocolate, butterscotch and mocha. Numms. Tiki candy, please!

C

Very cool!

On 2009-06-02 22:55, squid wrote:
This just in...

WOW.... Squid you are crazy ridiculously talented. Keep showin' us or Kinny? pop in here heehee :D

S
squid posted on Wed, Jul 22, 2009 1:02 PM

First person to guess what functional item this will become.... wins one!

Hint: It's not a pendant.

Hollow out the top, add ridges, and it's a juicer!!!

Ship it to me please. Thanks for the contest....you should do more so other people can play too!

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2009-07-22 13:05 ]

S
squid posted on Wed, Jul 22, 2009 1:06 PM

I think you're juiced already. Sorry Bub...

a stool?

not "human waste" stool
but the one ya sit on....
:)

S
squid posted on Wed, Jul 22, 2009 1:14 PM

Loser!

LT

Candle holder.

S
squid posted on Wed, Jul 22, 2009 1:15 PM

Nope. I do have a burning desire to make one though! HA!

MP3 player

Doorstop!

"Doorstop til you get enough"

A Mug!!!!

LT

A source of income.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 298 replies