Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Has today's TC crowd lost it's original warmth?

Pages: 1 2 3 121 replies

yes, yes it has.

I am usually pretty warm, especially after a couple of drinks...you can tell cause my face gets red and I tend to laugh too loud. I think the TC crowd is a great group of people, but they are sucking me dry of all my money (what with all the events and mugs and art and drinks and that bicycle on my ceiling and other trinkets I am forced to buy). And...I am pacing myself!!! :)

T

Wow, I'm just catching up wit this thread now.

Sometimes you have to remember that behind every stoneface or bad attitude there is a story. Maybe that person just got dumped, fired, or is just plain having a rough time lately. So, it could just be that.

The "national mood" as you put it is not so good lately....I think that could be a part of it.
I mean....is it me, or have there been ALOT of fatal car accidents in SoCal lately ? I swear, in the past few weeks, I've seen horrific, fatal accidents on the news almost every day. It's disturbing. Something is going on in the world...it's a dark time.
So, all we can do is enjoy the "escape" of tiki, and try to muddle through.

Also, Being tight on money, something alot of people are dealing with right now, is NOT fun. All the mai tais in the world can't completely erase that.

Hau 'oli Tiki, I think what you did...going up to people and saying "hi", was the absolute best thing to do, no matter how the people react...
THAT is Aloha spirit.

For more Aloha...Bamboo Ben's May 3rd, for sure !

On 2009-04-24 21:17, tikiyaki wrote:
All the mai tais in the world can't completely erase that.

Hmmmm...

Sure did erase 1/2 of my memories from last years Hukilau!!

Speaking of the Hukilau, any one going?

The east coasters are a friendly bunch indeed!

( i gotta werk)

On 2009-04-24 22:23, RevBambooBen wrote:

On 2009-04-24 21:17, tikiyaki wrote:
All the mai tais in the world can't completely erase that.

Hmmmm...

Sure did erase 1/2 of my memories from last years Hukilau!!

Speaking of the Hukilau, any one going?

The east coasters are a friendly bunch indeed!

( i gotta werk)

Then I guess you don't remember this.....

...taken right after you threw me (and you) in the pool....

One of my favorite Hukilau moments.

I Do wish I was going this year.

I must have been in the elevator.

On 2009-04-25 10:24, Mrs Bamboo wrote:
I must have been in the elevator.

LMAO!

Jeffery said:

yes, yes it has.

oh look...
the bi-weekly bearer of bummers himself...
i don't know anyone who gripes more than you
in such an unfunny fashion...
like nails on a chalkboard
same sound
every event

:lol:

I guess we should all take the approach suggested by Staple Singers
when they sang about cleaning up your own backyard first before helping others..
If all of us at TC tried to smile just 1% more
or made a point to say Aloha to at least 3-5 strangers
then we could add even more ohana to the mix!
and it would be contagious!

the threats to original warmth of this crowd
is the alcohol and the internet
BOTH of them are very open to interpreting situations and posts in a number of ways.
for instance...the so-called cliques
i imagine it's just some close friends possibly really drunk and really focused
and we've all had a conversation like that...Someone may slide into the group but you're so intensely-focused to listening to what your friend is saying and
the new person who just popped in to say "Hi" is uncomfortable or weird or so drunk that they have nothing to contribute...
It's not that the clique is rude..
it's that you don't know the proper way to approach/enter a crowd..

the best approach I've found is not to interrupt their conversation,that's rude and boorish...add alcohol and it's obnoxious!
You pat them on the back
or point
or wink
or make like you're smoking a ciggie and pointing to the door...
Visual cues....
Also, there's loudness and chaos going on around...very hard to hold a conversation...
Best TC event conversations-groups of 3-5 outside where it's quiet chain-smoking..

Also, last event, i drank not a drop of booze...
I bought a lot of sodas,tho,so i supported the joint..
Anyways,Upon leaving
it wasn't terribly fun or terribly awful
the Orchestra rocked
but i didn't leave thinking "that was a Blast!"
or "That really Blew!"
so,take an average Joe
add alcohol
get him buzzed
and the results are a lot different....
he would've had an awesome time
or got offended at some imaginary slight
it's a 50/50 thing...

So try your best to say aloha to a stranger at the next event...
and we'll all try to be less rude!
but only if you don't drink...

Plus the TC crowd is getting older
that's a whole new level of crabby there!

The May 3 nooner is my first real TC/Tiki event, so I hope the answer is an emphatic NO.

Is there going to be a pool??

On 2009-04-24 22:28, tikiyaki wrote:

...taken right after you threw me (and you) in the pool....

DC

W

"oh look...the bi-weekly bearer of bummers himself..."

Hey hey hey! Leave people's private lives outta this.

"If all of us at TC tried to smile just 1% more
or made a point to say Aloha to at least 3-5 strangers..."

If I wanted to work while having a good time I'd still be a gigolo.

"...and it would be contagious!"

Don't we already have enough contagious and transferable things moving through the Tiki community?

"...the threats to original warmth of this crowd
is the alcohol and the internet..."

What about owners of poorly insulated Tiki bars attempting to save money on heating bills?

"...the so-called cliques..."

I think you meant So-Cal cliques, right?

"...close friends possibly really drunk and really focused..."

Really focused drunks: The most dangerous kind of drunks.

"...the new person who just popped in to say "Hi" is uncomfortable or weird or so drunk that they have nothing to contribute..."

That's exactly why I avoid making new friends: New people are uncomfortable, weird, drunk, and have nothing to contribute.

"It's not that the clique is rude..."

Well, you can' say that about the Utter Snobs & Complete Bastards Clique whose clique motto is "Just shut the hell up and leave us alone." or the the Clique of West Coast Line Cutters and Conversation Interrupters with their mantra of "I don't care if you were here before me!" which they proudly flaunt on their bright green IDCIYWHBM! rubber bracelets.

"...it's that you don't know the proper way to approach/enter a crowd..."

Just to recap standard etiquette:

1. Approach the crowd in a casual manner, avoiding eye contact and any sudden gestures or movements.
2. Introduce yourself to the crowd.
3. Ask the crowd if they'd maybe like to get a drink sometime.
4. If the crowd declines your offer ask the crowd if maybe they have a sister crowd who might like to go out sometime.

"...the best approach I've found is not to interrupt their conversation,that's rude and boorish..."

Agreed, but one should always adjust for particular situations. Out of worry that I might have come off as a complete ass I once waited for a small group of accountants to finish their conversation so I could tell them they were on fire. Unfortunately their lively discussion of new Excel features never died down and, well, only one was saved.

"...add alcohol and it's obnoxious!"

Also obnoxious with alcohol: Diet Coke. Gag.

"...You pat them on the back..."

Especially good if they happen to be on fire.

"...or point or wink..."

Most guys don't like that.

"...or make like you're smoking a ciggie and pointing to the door..."

Being sort of architecturally focused I've always taken that to mean **"This door is smokin' hot!" **

"Also, there's loudness and chaos going on around...very hard to hold a conversation..."

Yet everyone laughed at me when I suggested we have Tiki tea parties.

"Best TC event conversations-groups of 3-5 outside where it's quiet chain-smoking..."

With all we know about addiction and other health risks I can't believe people are still smoking chain. I always new the rum would lead to harder stuff.

On 2009-04-25 11:00, little lost tiki wrote:
Jeffery said:

yes, yes it has.

oh look...
the bi-weekly bearer of bummers himself...
i don't know anyone who gripes more than you
in such an unfunny fashion...
like nails on a chalkboard
same sound
every event

Now thats funny!! I agree with LLT Tiki Central needs more "winking" to show the Aloha spirit!!

*On 2009-04-19 08:41, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:*Has today's TC crowd lost it's original warmth?

Hmm.... interesting question, and the discussion so far as attempted to derail a couple of times with no luck......

So, to the question first:

Yes. It has. To you at least, or you wouldn't be asking. I'm not saying your wrong. I'm not saying anyone else is right. Just the fact that you asked means something.

How does 'that' get fixed?

it doesn't. You can't fix it, they can't fix it, it isn't fixable because it isn't broken. There is nothing wrong with the 'vibe' or the 'clique' or the Kool Kids or the Short Bus Kids or any other thing you want to call any other smaller group here. They are, and that is enough. Sorry for the Zen reach-around, but you can only do what you can only do.

Consider TC to be like Public Radio.... you can take all you want for free. You are asked to contribute what you can. So take what you want and contribute what you can. Don't worry about the rest of it because it will only be a distraction to you and everyone else.

And then..... to do my part to attempt to derail this thread...... and I am only attempting to derail this thread to remind everyone that this is supposed to be fun!

Like that feeling I get "When Liberace Winks At Me" ?

You know, I have often wished for avatars on TC so when we go out to an event, we could spot people we know from the board. Hau 'oli Tiki, you live so close to me, why don't we plan to meet up sometime soon? Cocktails at the Royal Hawaiian? Say hi, make a friend?

On 2009-04-26 09:39, woofmutt wrote:

"...the best approach I've found is not to interrupt their conversation,that's rude and boorish..."

Agreed, but one should always adjust for particular situations. Out of worry that I might have come off as a complete ass I once waited for a small group of accountants to finish their conversation so I could tell them they were on fire. Unfortunately their lively discussion of new Excel features never died down and, well, only one was saved.

That one was me. That's only because I was doing a Forensic accounting and was working backwards. I already knew how it would end.

Sorry, I can't resist an accounting joke! Which is so sad...

On 2009-04-26 11:28, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
You know, I have often wished for avatars on TC so when we go out to an event, we could spot people we know from the board. Hau 'oli Tiki, you live so close to me, why don't we plan to meet up sometime soon? Cocktails at the Royal Hawaiian? Say hi, make a friend?

I'm IN!

And I love the avatar idea. My memory is so rotten!
(Yesterday I bought an LLT mug at the swapmeet and asked them to hold it while I shopped...FORGOT to go back and pick it up!!)

[ Edited by: Hau 'oli Tiki 2009-04-26 11:30 ]

ARRRGH!
LLT mugs at Swap meets!?!?!
how's that for original BURN!?!

woofy-what the heck is a bright green IDCIYWHBM! rubber bracelet?

for BooBen's NOONER..
everybody wear nametags!

that way we can Name names on this thread later!
:)

woofy-what the heck is a bright green IDCIYWHBM! rubber bracelet?

I think it's "I don't care if you were here before me"

I think I'm scared now that I can look into the mind of woofmut!

W

...the Clique of West Coast Line Cutters and Conversation Interrupters with their mantra of "I don't care if you were here before me!" which they proudly flaunt on their bright green IDCIYWHBM! rubber bracelets.

Next time I'll post a video reply. It'll give me a justifiable reason to wear some spray on tan.

I like name tags!

We could even do a memory/yearbook type of thingy...a "lodge guide" of sorts. My daughter does the yearbook and has the Josten's program... we could put it out in time for TO each year. You could choose wether or not to be in it; use your real name, screen name, or both. Sell advertising. Have pix of the past year's events and such.

Have it set up like the old timey memory books the Elks, Freemasons, etc... have. My great grandpa had a Sons of Sweden Memory book they put out each year. Had recipes (cocktail recipes), businesses of members, pix of their gatherings/events, all lodge stuff. It was soft-bound and had gilded edges-real cute.

Sounds like a lot of work. Could be fun to have as long as our anonymous status could be upheld. I like being under the radar for the most part.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 29, 2009 10:56 AM

Then you shouldn't get drunk and dance around naked at all the events you go to. Everyone always ask, "Who is that drunk lady dancing around naked?"

Everyone always ask, "Who is that drunk lady dancing around naked?"

and i always answer..."that's Ernie...He's a boy..."

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 29, 2009 11:49 AM

Original Warmth at it's Finest! :lol:

H

Speaking of original warmth...

On 2009-04-21 10:52, GROG wrote:
Welcome to all new members.
Steer clear of Ken Ruzic (Little Lost Tiki)---he's crazy.

Other than that you'll be fine.

GROG so Crazy!

and it's mild retardation,not "Crazy"!

On 2009-04-29 10:56, GROG wrote:
Then you shouldn't get drunk and dance around naked at all the events you go to. Everyone always ask, "Who is that drunk lady dancing around naked?"

There's absolutely no evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, of me being naked at any event. :wink:

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-04-29 16:32 ]

YET!

I'll have to watch who makes my drinks more closely, I think I've ben getting Bamboo Ben's rufee infused cocktails by mistake.

B

On 2009-04-29 16:33, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
I'll have to watch who makes my drinks more closely, I think I've ben getting Bamboo Ben's rufee infused cocktails by mistake.

why do u think we all call u Kinky????

and yes, the rufee-infused ones ARE meant for Ben.

On 2009-04-21 10:52, GROG wrote:
Welcome to all new members.
Steer clear of Ken Ruzic (Little Lost Tiki)---he's crazy.

Other than that you'll be fine.

i i agree with Groggy, Kinny IS CWAAAAZY!

[ Edited by: BigToe 2009-04-29 17:52 ]

On 2009-04-29 10:56, GROG wrote:

pix please!

On 2009-04-29 17:47, BigToe wrote:
why do u think we all call u Kinky????

Because you're hearing impaired?

Or drunk?

On 2009-04-29 21:20, Jungle Trader wrote:
pix please!

Now, you know you can't trust any pix these guys post, right? Nothin but photoshop. Completely manufactured. And poorly, at that!

good thing I have a Photographic memory.
you were pretty wild on yer B-day at the Purple Orchid.
:o :wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

please elaborate......

no that would be rude.
and un gentlemanly.

besides I was just watching.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

R

I love that this thread went from a TCer's concern about the warm of TC....to nekkid.

I think the problem with TC isn't that people are clique-y it's just massive Adult ADD and ADHD. :lol:

it would explain everything!!!

On 2009-04-29 23:11, bigtikidude wrote:
good thing I have a Photographic memory.
you were pretty wild on yer B-day at the Purple Orchid.
:o :wink:
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Maybe so . . . but I wasn't naked!

Kinny, I'd show you a video of me falling down drunk, um, er. . . DANCING. . . but then I'd have to kill you or I'd never hear the end of it, I'm SURE.

Ravers, You know how darn friendly we are! So friendly that we can endlessly razz each other for a good laugh . . . can't wait to see you on Sunday lady!

Everbody wear nametags! Be friendly! Here's Kinny's

R

On 2009-04-30 11:04, Kiki von Tiki wrote:

Ravers, You know how darn friendly we are! So friendly that we can endlessly razz each other for a good laugh . . . can't wait to see you on Sunday lady!

I know that silly!
razzin is fun I should know...first hand! :lol:

Yaaay! Sunday is almost here!

i found Kiki's and Raver's nametags!

On 2009-04-30 11:54, ravenne wrote:

On 2009-04-30 11:04, Kiki von Tiki wrote:

I know that silly!
razzin is fun I should know...first hand! :lol:
Yaaay! Sunday is almost here!

Raves, that is an awesome flyer! YAAAAAYYYY!!! Interpretive dance. Now THAT is some friendly shit! :lol:

Not US!

We're ANGELS!

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-04-30 13:07 ]

On 2009-04-29 21:52, Kiki von Tiki wrote:

On 2009-04-29 21:20, Jungle Trader wrote:
pix please!

Now, you know you can't trust any pix these guys post, right? Nothin but photoshop. Completely manufactured. And poorly, at that!

Yup, Unga Bunga is good at photoshop. I found out the hard way.

Has TC lost it's Original Warmth...

Judging from the huge crowd at Bamboo Ben's NOONER...

it is actually WARMER and FRIENDLIER than ever!
:)

W

Oh, OK, so "nooner" was a euphemism for another Califusa hot tub orgy.

and don't forget BUBBLIER!

On 2009-04-30 10:18, ravenne wrote:
I love that this thread went from a TCer's concern about the warm of TC....to nekkid.

I think the problem with TC isn't that people are clique-y it's just massive Adult ADD and ADHD. :lol:

it would explain everything!!!

What, exactly, are you tring to im

OMG! There's a new Tiki Bar TV available!

Pages: 1 2 3 121 replies