Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tiki Central's Official Drink contest: Deadline over!

Pages: 1 2 88 replies

*On 2003-03-25 20:00, purple jade wrote:*Question first... Would you guys even consider a drink that has Malibu in it?

According to the rules, yes.

That's not exactly what I meant...

Dang! I'm gettin' in on this LATE!!! I guess that's what I get for workin' at a Newspaper when theres a War goin' on. Hmmmmmm... Looks like I've got my work cut out for me over the next couple of nights.

Not an entry yet, but I have something "cooking" in my head - something with grapefruit juice (in enough quantity to actualy taste it)..I'll see if I can come up with anything good in time.

Ran

Wow you guys need some more recipes or you're not even gonna get a buzz during the taste off. Here's one.

The Tiki Torch

Juice of 1/2 lime.
1oz Light Rum
1oz Dark Rum
8 mint leaves
1 1/2 tsp simple sugar
2oz OJ

Add lime juice, Rum, mint leaves and
muddle (crush with spoon or small baseball bat). Add sugar and a little ice. Shake and pour over crushed ice topping with OJ in official TC mug(designed by Tikifish).Garnish with flaming lime shell over an orange slice covering the top of the mug. Straw stuck throuh the orange slice.

Well, this one's off the top of my head. Untried, unproven, but gets the basic idea from a Golden Colada.

2 oz dark rum
1 oz Amaretto
1 oz Pineapple Juice
1 OZ Orange Juice
Couple splashes of Lime juice

Serve over crushed ice.

Trader Woody

T

After much trial and error, and a few hangovers later, here's my entry:

The Jab's Knockout Punch
1 1/2 oz. gold rum (Barbados rum preferred)
1/4 oz. creme de noyaux
1/2 oz. passion fruit syrup
1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
1 oz. fresh orange juice
1 oz. soda water

Shake with plenty of cracked ice. Strain into double old-fashioned glass or small tiki mug filled with crushed ice. Top with 1 oz. soda water. Garnish with pineapple chunk, orange slice, and cherry.

____
  _ _
   /
  / 
 /    
  _

[ Edited by: thejab on 2003-03-26 23:19 ]

Ya know... I saw a few drinks on Humumumu's site that I didn't exactly recognize as things I could immediately create. There have to be others in our midst who have been practicing our own brand of alchemy for at least longer than a month, eh? I, for one, am holding back on my concoctions 'cause I haven't yet made one to be PERFECT! Perfection is, obviously, the curse of the Tiki Centralite.

And each of us, of course, has a different opinion of what PERFECTION is. That is why I think we should add another month or two to this contest.

The reason for this CONTEST is to find us a special drink?
Oh sure... We may miss a few Major Happenings on the West Coast! Hell! We might even miss the One Most Extravagant Tiki Event of All (which appears over Here on the Right Coast) even though I will miss it again this year.

I just think a decision of this magnatude deserves more than a month or so.
This is a VERY IMPORTANT CHOICE!!!

All of the Entrys Thus Far have been Marvelous! But... Shouldn't the Winner be chosen from a group of more than 5 or 6?

Don't let it land on a substandard entry just because we don't have much more time to do it, for God's sake. I mean... Perhaps we're not setting our sites as high as the Mai-Tai or the Zombie, but... This is going to be our Official Drink!!!

Shouldn't we allow a bit more time for it's creation?

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic on 2003-03-27 01:08 ]

OK, before it's too late here is my entry. This is the Kava based cocktail I have been working on for a couple of years. The Kava alone may disqualify it, as might ease of making it, but it's pretty exotic. This is the best mix I have come up with so far, although I do have variations. It is a mix of Fijian Kava and rums with passion fruit, banana and coconut flavors. All native flavors of the Fiji islands. I based it on the Zombie and I call it the Cannibal.

· 3 to 4 oz brewed Kava, sweetened with 1 oz Trader Vic’s Passion Fruit Syrup
· 1 oz white Rum (Cruzan Banana or coconut or both can be used to enhance the banana-coconut flavors, or just use a good white rum)
· 1 ½ oz Rhum Barbancourt (3-stat or 5-star)
· ½ oz Dark Rum (Meyer’s of Whaler’s)
· 2 oz Kern’s Banana-Pineapple nectar or After The Fall Banana Casablanca, or banana nectar (Looza, Pampryl or make it yourself)
· 1 oz strained coconut milk or Knudsen’s Coconut Nectar
· ½ oz Bols Bohemian Raspberry liqueur
· 151 Demerara float

To make:

First brew the Kava in a bowl. Put cracked ice into a cocktail shaker. I use a coconut bilo, which is what kava is traditionally drank from, to scoop up some kava. These hold about 4 to five oz and I leave room for the syrup. Add 1 oz Trader Vics passion fruit syrup and stir it in good to mix. Pour bilo contents into shaker. Add rums and nectars, cover shaker and shake vigorously. Pour ice and all into a 16 to 20 oz ceramic tiki mug. dash in a some of the raspberry liqueur and top with a demerrara float. Garnish as usual.

Needs to be served in a tiki mug as the color is kind of nasty (kava looks muddy). Unfortunately, a Shecky mug is a little too small. A headhunter mug, a Mr. Bali Hai or something similarly savage works best.

My drink:

The "Jimmy Buffett Sucks it"
One Jimmy Buffett Album
6 pack of beer
Ear Plugs
Another 6 pack
5th of Tequilla
Second Pair of Ear Plugs
4# Hammer
Safety Glasses
Top it off with Whip Cream and a naked oiled up woman.

Give beer to woman, install ear plugs "IN EARS" Drink Tequilla, put on Safety Glasses, Smash Album with 4# Hammer. Eat Whip cream off of drunken, naked, oiled up woman.

Ok -This is what I came up with:
(remember I wanted something that used a lot of grapefruit juice):

4 Oz Grapefruit Juice
1.5 Oz Passion Fruit Syrup
.75 Oz Fresh Lime Juice
.75 Spoon (Not Oz!!) Orgeat Syrup*
1 Oz Light Rum (Cuban or Virgin Island)
1 Oz Myers's Dark Jamaican Rum

put in a shaker with half a cup of crushed ice, shake well and put in a Tiki mug - I guess a 14-16 Oz one , add crushed Ice to fill. Garnish with, eh- I dunno - half a grapefruit, ok, no - with a mint sprig.

• You can use more Orgeat if you want - it depends how strong the taste of the syrup is. The idea is to just feel a bit of it. I used Monin brand which is very strong.

Mahalo
Ran

From the Land of the $27 Myers's

[ Edited by: kick_the-reverb on 2003-03-30 06:04 ]

K

Originally posted 6/9/02:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=319&forum=1

The Voodoo Priest

1-2 shots El Dorado Special Reserve rum
1 shot Triple Sec
.25 oz Orgeat
.25 oz Sweet & Sour mix
3 oz Pine-0range Banana Juice (Dole makes this)
Dash Trader Vic's Grenadine

Shake with ice, pour with ice into highball glass.

The unique complex flavor of the El Dorado Special Reserve permeates through the drink, so I think its important to use that brand, but I'd bet another dark rum would be tasty too.

First, log on to Ebay and buy a vintage mug that you spend a just little too much money for…
(Be sure to pay extra for quick shipping…)

Receive mug and unwrap.

Pour ½ oz of Malibu rum into mug, swirl and dump in sink. Recite any verse from “cheeseburger in paradise” backwards to exercise any evil spirits from the mug.

Add 1 oz light rum for some “Main discussion”,
Invite 1 oz spiced rum for a spicy + sexy “Tiki Event,”
Curate 1 oz Ron Anejo Anniversario Reserva Exclusive 15 Year Old Rum from your vintage “Tiki Collection”

• ½ oz Cointreau for something just “Beyond Tiki”.

Shake with crushed ice and top with ginger ale for some "sparkling" conversation.
Garnish with a slice of lime for our sour disagreements, and a bright red cherry for our sweet group love…..
And you’ve just made a “Tiki Central Tonic”!

Okee doke... Let's try this.

I told the wife I was gonna call it "The Left Arm of Lono" but she said she'd prefer I call it "The Last Thing I Make Before I Clean Up The Counter Top."

1.5 oz. Dark Rum
1.5 oz. Añejo Rum
.5 oz. Coconut Cream
2 oz. Pineapple Juice
1 oz. Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
1 oz. Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
2 dashes Orange Bitters
1 cup Crushed Ice

Blend well. Pour into Tiki Mug. Garnish with Orange Slice, Pineapple Cube and Maraschino Cherry.

It's pretty simple. The most complicated part (of course) is melting the Coconut Cream so this is not the kind of drink you're going to make the second you walk into the house after work. It works for me, though!

Alright, here is my recipe that is sure to lose because it contains Malbu Rum and does NOT contain anything fruity:

Coconut Milk (title my girlfriend likes)
OR
White Hawaiian (Title I like b/c of this drink's similarity to a White Russian)
OR
The Haole (b/c this is what a white Hawaiian would be, wouldn't it?)

1 1/2 oz Malibu Rum (the horror)
1 1/2 oz milk
1 1/2 oz Kahlua (oh yeah, I guess Kahlua isn't cool in Tiki Central either, is it?)

Combine all ingredients over ice and stir. As you drink, feel oncoming sense of comfort and fear as you realize that you just drank something with Malibu Rum in it that you actually enjoyed. Next, see irony in thinking Jimmy Buffet is crap while at the same time thinking Martin Denny is some kind of genius. Realize it's all just music.

Well, this drink may not have that exact affect on you, but I would like to point out that the ingredients are easy to find and it is easy to make. In fact, I ordered it at the Bahooka. Not to mention I think it tastes good. Besides, it'll get you drunk (although probably not as quickly as the other recipes submitted) and isn't all that really matters?

I touch of the flu altered my plan to try a few recipes but probably saved me a hangover.

Straw Hat

1.5 oz Gold Barbados Rum
.5 oz peach schnapps
.5 oz creme de banana
.50 oz passion fruit syrup
2 oz orange juice
A good squeeze of fresh lime

Shake well with cracked ice. Pour into a chimney glass. Garnish with a slice of orange and cherry and a sprig of pineapple sage if available. (I grow it in my yard and can send some down.)

Tweaking it a little prior to the deadline.

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-03-28 06:15 ]

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-03-28 20:38 ]

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-03-29 04:50 ]

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-03-30 17:33 ]

L
laney posted on Fri, Mar 28, 2003 9:06 AM

Hey, Trader Rick, that drink reminds me of a Kahula Colada. The tastiest blended drink ever. It is just a Pina Colada with Kahula. Looks like baby poo but is sooo yummy! My friend and I used to joke that, if certain things tasted like this we'd walk on our knees!

Any how, we tried several drinks Wed. night at work and liked the simplest one best.

Here goes- I'm not messing with measurements most bartenders count their pours anyway

It's simply a Captain Morgain/ 7up with Creme de Almond.** In a tiki mug it's "Tiki Blood" but any other time I like "Pirate's Blood" It's a pretty red color (would look great in a skull mug!) It's sweet like all of us here on TC, superduper easy to make and order in ANY bar (they all have Creme de Almond and Captain!) To sour it up you may add a dash of sweet & sour or lime but how listed it tastes like cotton candy. mmmmmmmmm!

Try one today!

Trader Woody wrote:
Well, this one's off the top of my head. Untried, unproven, but gets the basic idea from a Golden Colada.

2 oz dark rum
1 oz Amaretto
1 oz Pineapple Juice
1 OZ Orange Juice
Couple splashes of Lime juice

Serve over crushed ice.

Trader Woody

Ok, I've tried this out and it seems to work. I used Appleton Estate VX for the rum, Disaronno for the ameretto, and the usual juices. Those who like a sweet drink, lessen your grip on the fresh lime. For those who like it sharp, please tighten your grip. I'd go for normal ice rather than crushed, and for those who want to see pink elephants sooner than later could do worse than to add an ounce of decent brandy.

Trader Woody

[i]On 2003-03-28 09:06, laney wrote: My friend and I used to joke that, if certain things tasted like this we'd walk on our knees!
Laney, I haven't a kahlua what you mean.

Okay, The response has been great but I've extended the deadline until Monday the 31st to give people one more weekend to try their hand at creating a concoction!

Looking forward to the judging!

~Hanford

Hanford, do we have to ensure that it fits in a Shecky?

Trader Woody

On 2003-03-26 23:17, thejab wrote:
After much trial and error, and a few hangovers later, here's my entry:

wait a sec!!! can a judge submit entries?

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-03-28 15:38 ]

TheJab is a fine, upstanding member of Tiki Central and he's just one of the judges, and we're going to score them with a score card and everything, so I'm confindent he'll be impartial.

~Hanford

OPPPSSS....

I just realized I forgot to put the pineapple juice in the reciepe for the "T.C.T"(Tiki Central Tonic)
Oh gosh! We were a bit out of it after trying so many mixes! Hic!

The Cannibal sounds terrifying, and I want one.

Generally, however...I am tired of pineapple juice, bananas have strange associations for me, and grapefruit makes my stomach very angry.

This, plus I am not by any stretch of the imagination any kind of mixologist by practice or experience; in fact, I only started drinking (alcohol) in my thirties.

Having issued all these fricking disclaimers, I was cleaning out the bar tonight and decided to play around.

Now I'm sure this is probably the recipe for 12,000 fine, well established drinks that I in my massive ignorance have never encountered, but, well, it tasted good.

Mind you, my measurements are peculiar. But they are in English at least.

Okay.

1 shot white rum. The stronger the better. Being an ignoramus, I say whatever you like, use it. Bacardi, whatever.

2 shots FRESH Tangerine Juice. I used Odwalla. I worship that stuff. You could, in a pinch, use oj, but then it would be a different drink.

1 teaspoon lime juice. Fresh, or Rose's. Whatever you've got on hand. If you are sober enough to go hunt up fresh limes, you have my blessing.

1 teaspoon Grand Marnier. Accept no substitutes.

dash grenadine. Not too much, ech. Shallow teaspoon at MOST.

dash bitters

Mix/shake/stir/whatever makes you happy with lots of ice.

Strain, pour over some cracked ice.

Float some DARK rum on top, yummm. I used Meyers.

You could garnish it with a cherry...what the hell. Oh, one last thought: I made a version with a teaspoon of brandy thrown in, less sweet, even stronger, very good. But this is fine.

I'll say one thing, it is efficient. I couldn't have written this sober.

This drink does need a faintly silly name, I suppose. Can't think of one at the moment. Tangeriki? Ow.

T

On 2003-03-28 02:15, Trader_Rick wrote:
Alright, here is my recipe that is sure to lose because it contains Malbu Rum and does NOT contain anything fruity:

I love white russians and I have no problem with coconut anything. Sounds tasty to me. The drinks don't all have to contain fresh juice.

T

On 2003-03-28 16:43, hanford_lemoore wrote:
TheJab is a fine, upstanding member of Tiki Central and he's just one of the judges, and we're going to score them with a score card and everything, so I'm confindent he'll be impartial.

Thanks, Hanford. I consider myself a real drink snob but there are some great entries so far so I doubt I would pick mine as the winner.

I don't think I'll even be able to taste after a couple of these entries. Most of then are real hair raisers! In comparison my punch is fairly weak with just one jigger of rum, but one can always double the recipe (necessary if serving in a tiki mug).

Has anyone started trying any of the recipes at home? I think I will tonight! Where can I get Kava?

P

You are probably not going to find kava down at your corner story. Unless you know somebody that has some, it can be mail ordered from certain countries in the South Pacific, such as Fiji. I think there was a thread about it here a while back. Won't doyou much good for today, though. It will take at least a couple of weeks for mail order kava to get to you.

Wheeeeeeeeee!!! Extended Deadline! Now I get to run home from work and get to work!
I've found Kava in a few Healthfood Stores around here. Haven't looked for it, though, since it became a bit controversial a while back...

Okee dokee. After mixing up a few more different things this evening I've decided that my original recipe is too tart for my taste (the wife prefers it that way but it's not her drink, so...). I, therefore, submit a new and, I hope, improved version.

1.5 oz. Dark Rum
1.5 oz. Añejo Rum
1 oz. Coconut Cream
2 oz. Pineapple Juice
1 oz. Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
1 cup Crushed Ice

Blend well. Pour into Tiki Mug. Garnish with Orange Slice, Pineapple Cube and Maraschino Cherry.

I deleted the Orange Bitters because it has come to my attention that those are difficult to come by in many locales.

I've tried several of the others (some more than once, now) and ALL are wonderful so far!

Okay, the deadline is over! Thanks for all the submissions. Thanks to all who submitted a Recipe! Now... when and where to judge?

I would suggest trying to commandeer a bar in SF to help out with the creation of the drinks, but then again it may go better if we did it at someone's house. Dean, what's your vote?

T

Methinks it would be better to do it at someone's house because a bar may not have all the ingredients and skilled bartenders. Plus, it will cost less if we assemble a list of main ingredients (like citrus and juices) and go buy them ourselves. For minor ingredients (like orange bitters) it would work to either have it at someone's place who has such ingredients, or have people bring what ingredients they have on hand to the judging.

Another idea is to have each judge be responsible for 2 or 3 entries. The judge brings (and buys if necessary) the ingredients and is in charge of making the drinks assigned to them. So it's fair we can save receipts for purchases and share costs. It shouldn't be much money if we avoid using expensive rums.

L
laney posted on Wed, Apr 2, 2003 1:05 PM

I know the judges can be impartal but everyone has different tastes. Ideally we should have a number of people judge the drinks. It would be fun to have a tasting event at Oasis. Those who are going can make a pitcher of their drinks and hand out small shot sized tasters for people to vote on (label them A,B,C, etc.) This also avoids one or two people from the need to buy 30 different bottles of booze.

We could have sub categories like best color, name, knock-you-on-your-ass, good for sweet-toothed/sour-puss, and an over all winner.

I think this could be a fun event! I've never been to Oasis so I don't know how many non TCers attend. I don't know if I'll go this year but we could even keep judging to TC members only (this should get us some new blood anyway)
Just an idea, Laney

M

KAVA info---Dean, and other San francisco Bay Area folk--you MIGHT be able to get Kava at a Pacific Islanders store in San Leandro--I think it it called Mangel's. It is in an old Grand Auto building on E.14th next to the Hospice Thrift Shop. (from 580 take the Estudillo eixt to E14th, turn left and go a couple blocks). The reason why I say "might" is they had a Kava box there, although I didn't notice any Kava around.

T

What ever happened to this thread?
Was the judging ever held?

I was looking forward to seeing who/what won when I came back from the coast.

Here's a late anti-entry; something I mixed up by accident while in Vallejo last week.

I figure this thread is the best place to post it (simply for posterity and for no other reason, except perhaps as a warning), but please don't consider it suitable for competition, as it was completely improvised, while drunk, and although it looks good 'on paper'... well...

James Mistake

Serve it to your guests when you want them to leave.

2 oz meyers rum
2 oz bacardi
6 oz pineapple juice
1 oz creme de minthe
1 oz orgeat
1 oz lime juice
1 oz some other liquor (probably rum) that I forgot.

Shake all and pour into those ubiquitous lame Harvey’s tumbler mugs over ineffectively crushed ice. Serves two, but neither of them will finish it.

Do not try this at home, or anywhere else.

Yeah, at first glance "on paper", it doesn't look so bad, but I'm guessing it was the creme de menthe was the fly in that ointment. Or was that last liquor you "forgot" maybe something like ouzo or green chartreuse? THAT would be pretty heinous!

We're going to do the judging at the end of the month. It's all arranged. We wanted to wait until a lot of the festivites (Mondo and Oasis) before attempting the judging. We'll keep ya posted!

~Hanford

Hanford:
Is there a set place for the judging already? If you need a place, I will gladly volunteer my 2 bdr suburban condo. I have a full bar, and the whole living room is a tiki bar. Also, wouldn't mind having you experts tasting my fine infused rum (aka "hawaiian hooch"). Have not lived until tasted a home-infused rum-tini. Tiki-licious!
Jen

No pressure. Just wondering if we have an official Tiki Central Drink yet.

On 2003-06-17 20:31, mrtikibar wrote:
No pressure. Just wondering if we have an official Tiki Central Drink yet.

Still pending?

M

Soon....soooon....it's coming. Fear not.

Pages: 1 2 88 replies