Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Wreck Bar at Yankee Clipper at risk of closing!!

Pages: 1 2 72 replies

On 2009-05-25 10:22, Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! wrote:
(Waiting for Chip & Andy to post some of 'em picts- Haha! Marina

I didn't think you would remember I had the camera.... we were both hitting the Mai-Tais pretty hard!

Here are some of my shots, and hopefully all you Flickr Users will add yours too...

http://www.flickr.com/groups/wreckbar/

Mahaloooooooooooooooooooo!

What a shame,Dont these people realize they are destroying your history and past culture,every time we vistit the the states some cool old building or tiki bar is gone ,so we try and see as much as we can while we are out on vacation(it might not be there next time!)We will be out for the hukilau and cant wait to see the wreck bar,I urge as many people to make the treck to the hukilau to support tiki kiliki and to see the wreck bar and the mai kai.

Sadly, one won't be able to visit the Clipper or the Wreck Bar by the Hukilau date, as the Yankee Clipper's doors will be closed June 1st.
I'll be going there today to film some of the interior before more decor items are removed and aquariums are emptied (as you can see from Chip & Andy's photo report).

sigh
Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid.

[ Edited by: Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! 2009-05-26 06:24 ]

I wonder if anyone would notice me walking out with a table-sized backpack??

On 2009-05-26 08:27, AlohaStation wrote:
I wonder if anyone would notice me walking out with a table-sized backpack??

I'll distract everyone if you grab me one too!

I say we Bum Rush Em'!

You bring the chloroform and I'll bring the crow bars and dollies.

Aloha there~ update on the missing Wreck Bar wall pieces!
(Also posted this on the "Last Chance..." thread to make sure everyone gets to read this)

I spoke with several folks today at the Clipper during the shoot and mentioned the missing objects on the wall-

Chip & Andy took that good shot of the Wreck Bar sign that was removed last Friday- the Ship's wheel that was beside it is now gone too.

The "Wreck Lounge" sign (see photo) is now also missing, as are two of the wooden ship carvings above the aquariums.

It seems pieces are being stolen from the Bar (Security thinks they may be employees).

I have been speaking with project managers, and they mentioned the great possibility of some of the bar being left intact~ however, this may be difficult to follow through with if pieces continue to be pulled from the walls.

If anyone has a photo of the ships above the aquariums, could you please send them to me, so that I can send them to Clipper security?
They will be checking security video footage for any suspicious activity.
Any good shots with details of the interior walls would be helpful too.

Mahalo!
Marina

[ Edited by: Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! 2009-05-28 13:32 ]

Aloha everyone -

Since the closing of Hukilau 2009 I have been in talks with the Yankee Clipper about next years event. I was trying to gain information on 2 things, our rate for returning to the Clipper and what the state of the Wreck Bar will be after renovations have taken place.

The first thing that is terribly upsetting is that they are changing the name of the hotel. The hotel will now be called and is ALREADY being called the Fort Lauderdale Sheraton Beach Hotel. So, they have begun stripping the history away even now.

As far as the Wreck Bar is concerned she went back and forth and finally said that yes, it was getting completely remodeled but had no other information.

The rooms will see a $40 a night increase than last year and the event space for me to have Hukilau, the vendor room, the use of the other ballrooms and the seminar room will cost a whopping $11,0000.00 - we have never paid that type of cash for event space.

So, I've only heard great things from everyone about this years event and the setup so it looks like we'll be returning to that formula. We'll be changing the vendors - so that they can be open to the public - and making a few additional changes so that access and the overall event in general is most excellent.

So sad when this type of thing happens to a historical property. The building will remain but that is all - I wonder if they will destroy the terrazo entrance with Yankee Clipper embedded??

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2009-10-08 20:53 ]

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.