Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

May 18th Masonic Luau in El Cajon!!!MAY CHOP!

Pages: 1 2 3 137 replies

Billy, I plan to go, if it's not too late to say so.

Never too late. You can show up without an RSVP, but it will make things easier on the kitchen if you do. I'm just going to give them a 15-20 count for our group and that should cover it.

Would be nice to get a roll call, though.

B
Bowana posted on Wed, May 7, 2008 8:46 PM

I'm planning on going, Billy. I had PM'd Brian about it when he was asking before.

If anyone wants to carpool, I'm on the way if you are taking 8 East. I'll drive from here although it's probably only about 5 miles from the location. You'll save 10 miles over all round trip! I can take one carver and gear. PM me for directions.

Hell, that's almost a gallon of gas in my truck. However, I will be driving as well so that I can bring tikis and supplies.

This is going to be a great event for choppers and patrons alike!!

So far we have-

BtheC
H20(brian)
4wd(Bill)
Buzzy
Zaya
Mieko
Bowana
Cammo
Thomas
Buzzard Bob
Matt Reese
Nina plus one
TikiKat(maybe)
Tikitrav plus one
TikimanAlex

Anyone else, please chime in!!

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM

Visit the San Diego Tiki Carvers & Artisans at http://myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-05-07 21:30 ]

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-05-08 17:38 ]

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-05-09 09:47 ]

G

I was thinking of attending this months chop.
As a total newbie, I am wondering if this months chop would be a good one for learning considering all that will be going on (Masons bbq, sale of items, little cars zooming around,etc.)

Since I will be commuting from Pasadena, I wanted to get the max on learning time.

Should I attend this one or wait until next months chop?

This going to be a "regular" chop, complete with powertools and the lot. No little cars zooming around..........That's the Shrine. While Shriners are Masons, this is simply a Masonic event.

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM

Visit the San Diego Tiki Carvers & Artisans at http://myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-05-08 17:38 ]

M
mieko posted on Thu, May 8, 2008 6:58 PM

Welcome geedavee! If the timing works out and you don't mind the ride, I think you'll still learn plenty at the Luau chop. Even if you come, I'll bet you'll want to come next month as well, and since we usually meet in Oceanside, it'll be a shorter ride for you.

Looking forward to meeting you!!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, May 8, 2008 7:48 PM

Geedavee - you gotta come! Don't worry, don't be shy, get in your Mach 5 and burn on down!

MR

Put me down as one who will be there. Sorry about the late reply.

On 2008-05-08 20:57, Matt Reese wrote:
Put me down as one who will be there. Sorry about the late reply.

Will be good to have you, Brother Reese. Bringing the family, or just you?

G

Count me in. Do I need to bring my own wood to carve?

I have a few odd-shaped pieces that are ready for carving.
No logs though.

I also ordered a set of chisels. I hope they get here in time.

See you all there.

Slap me down as a maybe too! Not sure of my schedule but keep me tentative...

Are chainsaws allowed?

C
Cammo posted on Fri, May 9, 2008 1:56 PM

I think Crudnick said chainsaws are allowed, but WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!

And Matt Reese is coming to a CHOP! That's historic, man! Yay!

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

YAY!!!! CAM HAS TURNED 1000!!!!!

Bring yer chainsaws, boys & Girls!!

Roll call so far

BtheC
H20(brian)
4wd(Bill)
Buzzy
Zaya
Mieko
Bowana
Cammo
Thomas
Buzzard Bob
Matt Reese
Nina plus one
TikiKat(maybe)
Tikitrav plus one
TikimanAlex
Geedavee
Clysdalle(maybe)

We still have 9 days to prepare, so if there are any others, let me know!

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-05-09 20:15 ]

C
Cammo posted on Fri, May 9, 2008 11:50 PM

Cammo
Tiki Socialite
1000, etc.

I SOOOOO care.

Actually, #753 through #891 were drivel. I just posted them to get the numbers up.

On 2008-05-09 23:50, Cammo wrote:
Cammo
Tiki Socialite
1000, etc.

I SOOOOO care.

Actually, #753 through #891 were drivel. I just posted them to get the numbers up.

Oh, pishaw.......you're probably sitting at home, carving a commemorative pendant with the number "1000", tactlessly whittled into it like a millennium martini glass with "2000" as the stem.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, May 10, 2008 8:37 PM

"Oh, pishaw.......you're probably sitting at home, carving a commemorative pendant with the number "1000", tactlessly whittled into it like a millennium martini glass with "2000" as the stem."

That's a good freakin' idea, chum.

The Macmillan Millennium Pendant. I'm reserving mine, early.

Just me. The family has something to do. I'll be flying solo.

On 2008-05-12 15:03, Matt Reese wrote:
Just me. The family has something to do. I'll be flying solo.

Then let the drunken chainsaw antics begin!! How many fingers can we lose before our wives stop talking to us altogether? I mean HELL.......we HAVE ten of them!

M
mieko posted on Mon, May 12, 2008 3:53 PM

It's gonna be fun!

What stuff do we need to bring? (other than our normal carving stuff)
Pop-ups? Chairs? A Table for the inside vending?
Is anyone going to bring a cooler?

On 2008-05-12 15:53, mieko wrote:
It's gonna be fun!

What stuff do we need to bring? (other than our normal carving stuff)
Pop-ups? Chairs? A Table for the inside vending?
Is anyone going to bring a cooler?

Good question, Mieko. You get a gold star!
Treat this as you would a day in the park.
Bring your pop-ups, lawn chairs, and coolers. The carving village will be in the grassy area, on the other side of the parking lot, so bring whatever makes you comfortable(generators, tents, cookstoves, firewood, pleasurebots, etc). I'll be bringing an extra cooler as well. There will be plenty of tables, also.

B

I have to cancel on Sunday guys. Have a shakin' and shimmyin' time!

Doh. :(

Make sure you leave some pendants with Mieko to sell, Dave. We will miss you, man! What gives?

M
mieko posted on Wed, May 14, 2008 8:42 PM

Hey Dave, I can take your pendants if you'd like, just lemme know if you want to drop them off.

My parents are coming down and making musubi. We'll be there around 11! :)

If anyone wants musubi lessons on their way to the Luau, lemme know.

Billy, what time does this start at again?

On 2008-05-14 23:09, tikithomas08 wrote:
Billy, what time does this start at again?

The LUAU officially starts at 12:30. Carving Village starts at 9am. I'll be there early to show everyone where to set up and shyte. If I could get all carvers to show up between 9 and 11, that would be great and will also ensure that we are in full swing before the guests begin to arrive. Latecomers are welcome, because we will already be set up and chopping.

Anyone got a generator? Probably will not need it, but just in case.

ALL POWER TOOL USERS BRING EXTENTION CORDS!!!(please)

CAM!!! Can you make a carving village sign?

B

It's nothing catastrophic, I just have to help my dad with some stuff. Meiko, don't worry about the pendants. I'll save them for Tiki Oasis. Thanks though, guys!

Aw Crud (no pun intended, Billy)....I made plans on 5/18 and I've got a Dodger game on 5/24.
I am truly going to get my "Carver" badge stripped!

my back is still messed up so I'm not sure I can even load my stuff yet....I'll sort myself out and see on saturday...

ill be there round `12, we have an early bird band pragtiz at 10. after that im headin straight there

Billy, Do you want only wood carvers?

I was thinking about making some cement cylinders if anybody wanted to carve one. Most of the carving would have to be done on Sunday because the hot weather will make the cement too hard to carve later.

Let me know if cement carving is okay. And anyone who wants a cylinder let me know.

On 2008-05-15 16:49, Musubi Mom wrote:
Billy, Do you want only wood carvers?

I was thinking about making some cement cylinders if anybody wanted to carve one. Most of the carving would have to be done on Sunday because the hot weather will make the cement too hard to carve later.

Let me know if cement carving is okay. And anyone who wants a cylinder let me know.

All forms of tiki art are welcome. The more diverse the artisans, the more interesting we will be. Making some concrete dealies is a GREAT idea.

im wayy stoaked, heading over after an early band practice. im bringing the tiki im working on now "the jivaro idol", it involves alot of shrunken heads

C
Cammo posted on Sat, May 17, 2008 9:14 PM

Been hacking away at my new Tiki - "Mystery Mask" and am SO READY for this! It's prepped, stripped, dried, drawn on and begging to be UNLEASHED!

If we can survive PIFA, 104 degrees in the Hanalei parking lot, freezing conditions at Tiki Farm and roughing it at the House of Buzz, El Cajon's main Masonic Lodge will be a breeze.

LETS GO!

M
mieko posted on Sun, May 18, 2008 8:55 AM

Well, doesn't look like it'll be too breezy, but I do know the best frozen yogurt in San Diego is 1/2 mile away.
Musubi making will commence shortly, and we'll be over after that! See ya all there!!!

Another great chop!!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, May 18, 2008 8:31 PM

Lets go to the Mason Chop!

Nobody on the road Sunday morning at 8:15.

But first , you gotta stop at Mary's Donuts. It has Apple Fritters the size of frying pans, but I got the old-school classic, the Maple Buttermilk Raised.

No worries about messing up the lawn. Looks exactly like Buzzy's, huh?

Nobody knows if the "G" stands for God or Geometry. Nice sign, though; it's really chromey.

Da early morning Chop Crew. Second from the left is Geedavee, who made an extraordinary effort to carve the spongiest palm 'wood' I've maybe ever seen. Two minutes into it he started smiling, and saying "Hey, this is easier than I thought!" and "This is FUN!"

He's hooked.

Laytah.

fun day o' choppin

H
Heath posted on Mon, May 19, 2008 2:26 AM

But first , you gotta stop at Mary's Donuts. It has Apple Fritters the size of frying pans, but I got the old-school classic, the Maple Buttermilk Raised.

East County rookie...

In the late 70's, it was called Zona's Donuts...
We'd only eat them if we lost a bet.

Looks like you guys had fun in spite of the heat.

I wanted to thank everyone for all of their help and advice at the Shriners Luau Chop.
The chops are really the best way for a visual learner like myself to learn about tiki carving.

I have a few pics of the "Nerf Tiki" I did. Cammo gets credit for the design on this one since I had no idea what to do.

I hope to burn this one at the next chop.

Can't wait for the next chop. I will keep an eye out for upcoming dates.

I hope to burn this one at the next chop.

That first tiki is pretty cool, considering the difficulty level of that log. Bravo, Geedavee!

I'll post some pics of the happenings later. Grace left early and took my freakin' camera with her(Grace and Bella were definite victims of the heat!) so I did'nt get pics of the pig or anything.

Speaking of heat exhaustion, how is Mieko doing today?

Got a message from Buzzy and he had to work yesterday, thus the absence of my Martins' Lewis.

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-05-19 11:35 ]

C

Paint the Nerf Tiki white & red and it would look like the Joker from Batman! Great job considering it carved like old styrofoam. It might not burn - it might MELT.

How about a beach party next time, so we can go in the water anytime we want to cool off? (It's always cooler beside the ocean anyway.) I carved at the beach once and it was fantastic - a whole crown gathers around and there's nothing like Tikis, Sand and Saltwater all together.

Time spent carving Tikis at the beach is not subtracted from your life's total hours.

M
mieko posted on Mon, May 19, 2008 1:04 PM

On 2008-05-19 11:29, Billy the Crud wrote:
Speaking of heat exhaustion, how is Mieko doing today?

Thanks for asking - Today is going fine, but yesterday was bad - by the time I got home I was pretty out of it for quite a while.

It was a pretty neat time with all the different faces, but heat + Mieko = Bad

Glad you're feeling better, Mieko!!

Beach chop!!! I'm in!!

Make it happen, Cam!

C
Cammo posted on Mon, May 19, 2008 5:28 PM

Glad Mieko feels better. We should bring a little thermometer with us when we're carving, inside the Flexcut box.

How about a Beach-Chop-A-Bingo!?

On a Saturday, South Mission Beach, right beside the jetty. We can do a fire all day, swim, hang, chop, play guitar and uke, whatever. Italian Bocce Ball World Elimination Match. Lots of Hawaiian plate lunch places close by. I say do it the first weekend in June. All day, stay as late as ya want.

Pages: 1 2 3 137 replies