Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

TRADER VIC's Warehouse Sale

Pages: 1 2 3 4 186 replies

TWO

"Overwhelming" and "Gold Mine" don't even begin to cover it.
So many times I was in line to pay for my goods and I'd see someone holding something I hadn't yet seen. "Hey, where'd you find that ?". The usual response went something like this: "In that other room, there are boxes of 'em." So once again I'd get out of line and add more items to my growing pile of treasure.
From what I saw there was no haggling on prices. They had a printout of all prices. I think everyone recognized the rarest of opportunities to own great stuff, so the prices did not seem out of line.
I'll post some pictures of the items I bought when this hangover lifts.(Great party last night. Thanks again TikiTastic).

G

Here's the other one of the pair of SF tikis that Martin mentioned:

Was that one for sale too?

Oh, and before I forget to say this: I HATE YOU ALL!! :D Someday the Mai-Kai is going to sell everything in their warehouse and guess who's going to be there?!

What did the place smell like?

curious.

If anybody is going to the sale today and they still have the menu poster prints, can someone get me one. Please! I'd like one to hang in my Tiki room, and being a pc version, it would be ok to have around when my kids come over.

PM me if anyone is able to get one, and we can work out something from there.

Mahalo

Rick

On 2008-02-24 08:34, RevBambooBen wrote:

curious.

It smelled like Tiki for sale... delicious!

On 2008-02-24 08:34, RevBambooBen wrote:

curious.

..smells like money!!

seriously, aside from being insanely jealous of all those great tiki items you folks have gotten, i think it's way cool that these things were able to find their way into homes where they will continue to serve their purpose....rather then end up in the trash one day.....this is a big part of what tiki central is here for aa well....creating a community space to share this info so folks thAT appreciate the value and history of these items can get to them and rescue them from oblivion....good for all of you that managed to walk away with something....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-02-24 12:20 ]

My wife and I did a silly thing this moring we went back to the sale. My saving account took another hit.

We got this little guy, he is from the DC Trader Vic's and one 6 ft tiki that I will pick up tomorrow and few other samll items.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/baker1972/moretradervics002.jpg?t=1203887025

They still had lots of stuff today, ANd there was only a few people there this morning.I have to say the 3 young ladies selling this stuff are some of the nicest people I have met, very helpful with all our questions.
They said the the other trader vic's franchises didn't really know about the sale. They didn't know how much longer this sale would go on. sounded to me like it might close early, some of other trader vic's might want this stuff.

Sorry Bogielocks they still have the menu poster prints this morning, I didn't see your post until I got back today. If they still have em tomorrow I'll pick one up for ya .

[ Edited by: bLOCKhEAD 2008-02-24 13:44 ]

I broke down and decided to go today. Probably a lot more chill than yesterday and they still had plenty of great things to blow your money on, even for the budget minded.
The big "helmet shell" bowls and rum barrel bowls were only $20 each. We also got some vintage portlight mugs with the gold on them. We also got a big box of superlong straws that will probably last us to the grave.
Definitely worth the trip!

Well, here I go again...

That Ku Tiki cannot have come from the Washington DC Trader Vic's because that location closed in 1995, and unless they opened and closed one in DC in recent years, this baby could not have stood there because it is a nouveaux Asian carving from the new millennium (just like the table lamps). I am not pointing this out to be mean, or because I am jealous, or a misanthropic old German, but because I am for "Truth in Tiki".

And I am perfectly fine with the fact that there are many people who do not give a mouse's popo if it's vintage Tiki or not, and by no means do I aim to diminish their enjoyment of any Tiki that they like for their own reasons. (For example, I really like that modern Moai that you got there earlier!)

And I heard that, though the stuff was not cheap, the prices were just, and my assessment of the sale as a whole is not negative, but very much like Tipsy's above: A great opportunity to have this stuff find appreciative homes!

On 2008-02-24 13:59, bigbrotiki wrote:
Well, here I go again...

That Ku Tiki cannot have come from the Washington DC Trader Vic's because that location closed in 1995, and unless they opened and closed one in DC in recent years, this baby could not have stood there because it is a nouveaux Asian carving from the new millennium (just like the table lamps). I am not pointing this out to be mean, or because I am jealous, or a misanthropic old German, but because I am for "Truth in Tiki".

And I am perfectly fine with the fact that there are many people who do not give a mouse's popo if it's vintage Tiki or not, and by no means do I aim to diminish their enjoyment of any Tiki that they like for their own reasons. (For example, I really like that modern Moai that you got there earlier!)

And I heard that, though the stuff was not cheap, the prices were just, and my assessment of the sale as a whole is not negative, but very much like Tipsy's above: A great opportunity to have this stuff find appreciative homes!

No worries bigbrotiki , I don't think your post was mean spirited. It really doesn't matter to me if he was in dc tv or not, I'm just telling what I was told by the seller.
I like this little guy and that's what counts and the price was right. we named the moai merv he is a bute. Now I need to build a new tiki hut cause the old one is to small for this stuff

Cheers mate :)

[ Edited by: bLOCKhEAD 2008-02-24 14:42 ]

While some of the items were a little pricey, albeit worth every dime, the majority of these poles on the wall were selling for $200.00 each. From what I have seen sold locally here in Sacramento and on Flea-bay, $200.00 is a bargain.

Blockhead, did they say when they were thinking about stopping the sale? I need to get down there for another pole!

Thanks,

PTD

J

On 2008-02-24 08:48, Bogielocks wrote:
If anybody is going to the sale today and they still have the menu poster prints, can someone get me one. Please! I'd like one to hang in my Tiki room, and being a pc version, it would be ok to have around when my kids come over.

Mahalo

Rick

I got you covered Rick! I picked up a couple today. PM me your address and it will be on it's way sometime this week.
:)

On 2008-02-24 15:35, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
While some of the items were a little pricey, albeit worth every dime, the majority of these poles on the wall were selling for $200.00 each. From what I have seen sold locally here in Sacramento and on Flea-bay, $200.00 is a bargain.

Blockhead, did they say when they were thinking about stopping the sale? I need to get down there for another pole!

Thanks,

PTD

No they did not . This was just my impression.

When I arrived this morning One of the girls there said wow you guys are back again. We stated talking about how crazy it was the day before. She then said she did not know how much longer the sale would go on.
I thought this was a bit odd cause they still have heaps of stuff. She then said she had not told other trader vic's franchises about the sale .I got the impression they may have want a crack at some this stuff; but she was vague about it.
I know their open tomorrow as I have to pick up my other tiki. I would think unless we hear different the sale is on till the 29th

On 2008-02-24 16:33, JenTiki wrote:

On 2008-02-24 08:48, Bogielocks wrote:

Mahalo

Rick

I got you covered Rick! I picked up a couple today. PM me your address and it will be on it's way sometime this week.
:)

Jen,

Thank you sooo much!!! You've been PM'd :D

Mahalo

Rick

J

Well, I went back today and picked up "a few" more things:

• 2 menehune compotes (the white is glazed on these, not cold painted like the ones Holden had a year ago)
  • 4 more mini mai tai glasses
  • 4 christmas menehune dolls
  • 2 menu prints
  • 12 yards of fabric (at $5/yard I couldn't pass up some of each color)
  • 1 cool large striped zippered tote bag with Vic's logo on one side
  • some little booklets titled "Trader Vic's Island Recipes"
  • 1 5'x6' woven mat. Not as fancy as the one posted earlier in this thread, but a beautiful honey color.

I also took some pics.
Here's something I didn't expect to see:

Here we have an innocent-looking box of bamboo paneling:

until you read the little nautical symbol panels attached:

And just for you BigBro, a few long-dong tikis:

There's still lots of stuff, so if you're in the area, it's worth the trip!

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2008-02-24 17:30 ]

boy i sure can't wait to pay double and triple for this stuff once some of it hits ebay!!!....

J

I was already kicking myself for not buying a lot more stuff with just that in mind. Those menehune compotes are only $20 at the warehouse, Reyn Spooner shirts for $50, rum kegs $20. However, everything I bought, already has a designated home, either mine, or that of a friend or two. Someone else will just have to reap those profits.

So here's what I brought home...

Previously mentioned Helmet Shell bowl. Rum Giggle, mmm.....

Bamboo Fish Trap. I think I'll be putting a light in it.

An this guy called me back today. 7ft Marquesan pole said to be from the D.C. location (BigBro?)

I think I'll call him "El Presidente". May take a couple inches off the top and bottom so he'll fit next to the bar.

In any case, like I and others have said, the staff at the sale was wonderful. I could have stayed all day just to chat with them. Mahalo!

If you can make it to the sale... DO, you won't be disappointed.

Jen, WOW, I didn't see the box of bamboo paneling. That was the wall-covering of the men's room from the SF location that just closed. A good number of the little nautical flag plaques had been pried off the wall by the end.

Aloha,
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale 2008-02-24 18:48 ]

I'm so envious of you guys - what a cool sale! Congrats on your purchases.

M

I came away with very little, only bought a couple of items. Nothing two grand. I wanted these colorful wooden birds, but some yahoos bought them before I had a chance.

This painting hung over the main room. It is large, very large, and quite striking.

The above painting many will recognize from San Francisco. The carving on the right many may not. It sat in the front area at Cosmo Place. It was a bargain, and was sold. Not terribly interesting compared to others but a rather historical piece nonetheless.

This young man drives a hard bargain and recognizes the finest in old Rader Vic's relics from the Big Apple. He got a deal.

Some day I will be part of the Illuminati, until then...
midnite-o

O
Otto posted on Sun, Feb 24, 2008 9:38 PM

Sven, in response to your appraisal of the Ku Tiki shown. There seemed to be a handful of old Tikis mixed in there. Obviously all the stained black Tikis are brand new but that Ku and others seem to have been carved in Asian then weathered to appear old.

Also, I would take it with a grain of salt as to how the warehouse managers would know which Tikis are from where. In fact I would really like to know how they have documented this info and I will inquire once the sale mayhem has ended and the Vic's folks get a break.

On 2008-02-24 18:46, Tiki Royale wrote:

I think I'll call him "El Presidente". May take a couple inches off the top and bottom so he'll fit next to the bar.

!!! Don't do that! Instead you should cut a hole in your ceiling.

This painting hung over the main room. It is large, very large, and quite striking.

Yeah, that's a copy of Gaugin's "Where Do We Come From? What Are We? Where Are We Going?" ....Where is that Beautiful Wife? Letting the Days Go By...Letting the Water Hold me Down...Water Flowing Underground...

M

On 2008-02-25 06:32, Slacks Ferret wrote:

Yeah, that's a copy of Gaugin's "Where Do We Come From? What Are We? Where Are We Going?" ....Where is that Beautiful Wife? Letting the Days Go By...Letting the Water Hold me Down...Water Flowing Underground...

It hung in the (shocker) Gauguin Room in SF (Golden Gate).

M

On 2008-02-24 21:38, Otto wrote:
Sven, in response to your appraisal of the Ku Tiki shown. There seemed to be a handful of old Tikis mixed in there. Obviously all the stained black Tikis are brand new but that Ku and others seem to have been carved in Asian then weathered to appear old.

Also, I would take it with a grain of salt as to how the warehouse managers would know which Tikis are from where. In fact I would really like to know how they have documented this info and I will inquire once the sale mayhem has ended and the Vic's folks get a break.

Part of the franchise agreement with Vic's locations is that the decor is returned to Vic's upon closure. So much has come back over the last 10-20 years that it became easy to lose track of the original locations. Kier does know quite a bit, but is also missing info on some pieces. Things also traveled to multiple locations- I picked up a piece that spent time in both NYC and Emeryville.

Just a few quick observations after scanning through the photos of this AMAZING sale . .

1. I'm envious, I admit it. You west-coasters get to BUY things we mid-westerner's have likely never even SEEN in person.

2. If we in Kansas City ARE to get a TV's (and that seems dubious right now) what are they going to decorate it with, considering all the GREAT decor going out the door at this sale??

PLEASE keep posting pics!

Drowning my sorrows in another bottle of Goslings Black Seal . .

T

Quote: "2) If we in Kansas City ARE to get a TV's (and that seems dubious right now) what are they going to decorate it with, considering all the GREAT decor going out the door at this sale??"

Good point Silverline! What about other locations that the powers that be might be considering? Maybe they have another warehouse somewhere. Anybody know for sure? You wouldn't think they would have too many places just with decor sitting around costing them money.

Someone else said earlier, what about the Vegas location! Half this stuff should of went there to make that place a little more authentic!! I guess they just really didn't want it there.

Just got back from the sale (round 2)... one of the ladies working there mentioned that recently when new locations open, they have been buying all new (new to TV that is) pieces... they don't even check with this warehouse. She said the architects request specific-sized pieces, in specific numbers.
So, I wouldn't worry about stocking a new location... they have the $$ to spend

-Pakalolo Man :D

Cleaned and placed in their semi-permenant locations...

Maybe a couple of more?

PTD

Looks great PTD - hopefully his tootsies won't get too toastie by the fire - (did I just say that?) ahahaa...

-Pak

cool finds everybody!

tikihula wants to know, do they take checks? anybody know?

Yes they take checks, cash and credit cards! First born children?? Not sure!

PTD

M

RE: Decor-

I was informed that most of Chicago is not for sale and will be shipped back for the new Windy City locale.

There is plenty of good news on the horizon with Vic's- don't let the sale scare you. Keep the faith!

Hey PTD looks like you picked up one of the Marqusean poles like I did. Did they mention what location yours was from? What did you use to clean him up... it made a huge difference.
Aloha,

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale 2008-02-25 21:05 ]

On 2008-02-25 19:07, martiki wrote:
RE: Decor-

I was informed that most of Chicago is not for sale and will be shipped back for the new Windy City locale.

There is plenty of good news on the horizon with Vic's- don't let the sale scare you. Keep the faith!

Amen Brutha!

The TV warehouse sale was allot of fun. It was great seeing a bunch of the Nor-Cal TCers. I picked up four bar stools from TV San Francisco a rum barrel and a nice blue fish float ready to drop a lamp into.

My son let's call him Trader Nick loves the bar stools!

P.S Midnight, Nick says” NO DEAL”!!

M
  • martiki wrote:

Part of the franchise agreement with Vic's locations is that the decor is returned to Vic's upon closure. So much has come back over the last 10-20 years that it became easy to lose track of the original locations. Kier does know quite a bit, but is also missing info on some pieces. Things also traveled to multiple locations-

Not that Martin needs it, but I concur. With some pieces Kier had no problem telling me from where they came or went. Others like the many poles/posts can be dated to a certain extent but not identified by specific restaurant. Michellie and Kier have been very patient, helpful, and informative. Believe me, I've spent more time in that warehouse these past few days than I would like to admit or I think those two would have preferred.

Not only does Kier know her Trader Vic's history, she is really strong! I told her I might as well submit my application for the warehouse and have they pay me in Vic dollars. Seeing how she can wrestle those beasts around I realized I am not worthy. Plus, I got a dodgy heart and there's the issue of splinters.

As it pertains to the provenance of stuff in that warehouse I am going to listen to some members of the Vic family and trust in what Kier and Michellie have to offer. It's been an amazing time looking through the warehouse. I am telling you, I now know how Charlie Bucket must have felt.

I got a golden ticket, but had to endorse it over to Trader Vic's.
el Midnite

EDIT: Tell Trader Nick that the banker says quit picking that stuff off the ground! Oh, and Howie says "hi".

[ Edited by: midnite_tiki 2008-02-26 00:37 ]

For those who've just been to the sale - do you think there will be anything left (and affordable) by Thursday? I was going to play hooky from work Wednesday and take a drive up there - but now I have to fill in for a co-worker! So, Thursday is the earliest I would be able to make it! Any thoughts?

On 2008-02-25 21:02, Tiki Royale wrote:
Hey PTD looks like you picked up one of the Marqusean poles like I did. Did they mention what location yours was from? What did you use to clean him up... it made a huge difference.
Aloha,

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale 2008-02-25 21:05 ]

Kiera was so busy that I never had a chance to ask her. I know this one came from an old location; it had two rusty old bolts in the bottom I had to remove before I could stand it upright, so I am concluding this was used somewhere, I will have to figure that one out on my own.

To clean this I used orange oil spray made by Howard Products. It works very well. This still had a pretty good finish on it, though if I were to put it outdoors, I would put a very light coat of Spar Marine varnish on it to protect it. Yes, it made a huge difference.

PTD

On 2008-02-26 01:09, Fres-tiki wrote:
For those who've just been to the sale - do you think there will be anything left (and affordable) by Thursday? I was going to play hooky from work Wednesday and take a drive up there - but now I have to fill in for a co-worker! So, Thursday is the earliest I would be able to make it! Any thoughts?

I was there for an hour or so yesterday and there were only two other people there during that time. There was still tons of stuff... I picked up a rum barrel, conch helmet bowl, small fish trap, and a carved tiki table lamp.
There were still lots of stuff in all price ranges - go go go!

-Pakalolo Man

T

Some of us jealous east coast Tiki follk would
like to know the prices paid for the pictured
items you all acquired???

Thortiki

OK...now, WHO got this one?:

On 2008-02-24 19:14, midnite_tiki wrote:
The above painting many will recognize from San Francisco. The carving on the right many may not. It sat in the front area at Cosmo Place. It was a bargain, and was sold. Not terribly interesting compared to others but a rather historical piece nonetheless.

Historical, indeed. Very appropriately placed right next to that painting, midnite, for in MY book, he should be considered TIKI ROYALTY. Among all the tons of stuff in that warehouse, this one would have been my "Rosebud".

In 20th Century Tiki history, there are only a few what I would call "arch-Tikis":
Tikis that were there during the Pre-Tiki era of Polynesian pop, or at the BIRTH of the Tiki-era, and thus were the forefathers of Tiki. Looking back, I would name Picasso's Marquesan Tiki for instance
( http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27442&forum=2&vpost=363189 ) ,
and Don The Beachcomber's Cannibal Carvings come to mind...then the iconic Tiki Bob Tiki, which marks perhaps THE turning point of the TIKI becoming the icon of Polynesia...but before him came THIS seemingly mundane, simple fellow.

He was one of the two FIRST entry way Tikis ever, serving as guardian not only at that hub of urban Tiki, Trader Vic's San Francisco on Cosmo Place (above), but these figures did the same at the mother ship of Vic's empire, the original Oakland Trader Vic's ! :

(See BOT p.82 for the original Hinky Dinks hut evolving into the above)

There is a different, very nice original rendering of the Oakland location by "Kay" on the wall at the Emeryville T.V.s that shows these two Tikis even better, done in a style like this:

Imagine the hordes of revelers that these two Tikis must have seen enter and leave those two Tiki power places!
But before I go any further, aside from its historic value, isn't the Tiki's style kind of artless and boring? Allow me to disagree. It is exactly in lime with the early 20th Century modernist influence that I describe in Tiki Modern, look at this 1910 piece of Brancusi...

...and this famous Man Ray:

...honing down the face to its basic lines, returning to the beginning of man's expression: modern primitivism! This Tiki's simplicity is an early example of one of the trademark's of Tiki style, modernist stylization. One of the same style can be seen in this interior of Vic's first franchise in Seattle (BOT p.86)...

...right behind the maitre d'. Was this a THIRD Tiki? And where did they come from? Now here is a Tiki very much like it:

Posing with it is our favorite Miss Hawaii. This one seems to have been standing in the Fern Forest National Park on the Big Island of Hawaii:

He was raised to further prominence by having the illustrious Martin Denny Group pose with it:

I have been dying to find out who carved it, and what happened to it, but had no luck so far...

I estimate that Vic got these Tikis from Hawaii around the late 40s, early 50s, when there was NO American Tiki to be had yet, and Vic was also importing big head Marquesans and Tiki posts from Tahiti for his early franchises. Back then, the Hula girl was the prevalent icon of Polynesia...but the first Tikis began to appear, like on this 1953 invite. This makes this guy one of the earliest logo Tikis in Polynesian pop:

Whoever got this guy (Martin?) knew his Tiki stuff, congrats. I never considered going up there to the sale, because my Leipzig job evaporated, and I am currently not buying, rather will I have to start selling...but this would have been one baby that would have tempted me.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-02-27 10:46 ]

M

He was already sold when I got there, and I guess my tiki must have been inside, or out front at a later date- I have an appointment that will hopefully confirm in the next week.

But I must say, the one at the warehouse was in really really good shape, and a bit shorter than those pictured. Looked more recent, and not worn by the elements. It didn't look 50 years old at all- perhaps was an indoor tiki, the one from Seattle. I will double check.

I think the Trader was just a very small guy :D .
But seriously, most of those "super egos" in history had a Napoleon complex that made them so successful. I wonder where that last photo was taken, anyway, it's not Cosmo Place...maybe Oakland, and there WERE two different pairs of these guys? WHERE in Hawaii did they come from, WHO made them?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-02-27 15:37 ]

G

Regardless of whether that tiki is one of the tikis in the pictures, that was a great post bigbro. Learning the history on an obscure design like this one is very fascinating. Me like!

T

On 2008-02-27 13:24, bigbrotiki wrote:
I think the Trader was just a very small guy :D .
But seriously, most of those "super egos" in history had a Napoleon complex that made them so successful. I wonder where that last photo was taken, anyway, it's not Cosmo Place...maybe Oakland, and there WERE two different pairs of these guys? WHERE in Hawaii did they come form, WHO made them?

hey sven...

yes, i am the lucky bastard. he's in exceptional shape and is definitely vintage. we're fairly certain its from the main entrance interior of either the Oakland or Seattle TV's. (it's aged but not weathered) according to Kier and Eve B, It was from the Oakland location.

after the old Don the Beachcomber sale in LA many years ago, i expected this sale to be a dud as well. i have to say, in the 20 or so years i've been collecting tiki, i've never come across such abundance. reminds me of the first time i saw Oceanic Arts in the 1980s.

overall, i was a bit stunned and dazed at the plethora of great, vintage pieces upon my arrival. i have to admit it was funny to see everyone else so dazed and bumping into each other as the tiki-high was intoxicating! thanks to tiki-Ray who helped convince me that i needed to add this incredible tiki to my collection. i was too crazed to be rational with the sheer amount of neat stuff and good ol' Ray set me straight. i did go a bit crazy and was spending way too much, but i truly believe this was a once-in-a-lifetime event. the gods were smiling on me that day in that i was also able to commendeer THE last U-Haul truck in Oakland, fill that sucker and high-tail it back to LA like a bandito.

Aaaah, so YOU were Kiara's partner in crime...or were there SEVERAL Tiki-loot filled U-Haul trucks on the freeway to LA that day ? Well now I know "Mr. Modern" is down here, I gotta photograph him some day. :)

On pages 90 and 91 in The Book Of Tiki there is a shot of a Trader Vic's restaurant and on the left in the back is the same design as the pole I purchased last Saturday. If not the same one, it is exactly like this!

PTD

Pages: 1 2 3 4 186 replies