Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

vbtiki pics

Pages: 1 2 65 replies

V

THIS IS MY FIRST POST AND THE FIRST TIKI I AM SELLING IF THE PIC LOADS RIGHT
I WILL TRY TO POST A PIC OF MY BAR AND ANOTHER TIKI I CARVED.
I LIVE IN VIRGINIA BEACH AND HAVE A SMALL CARVING SHOP OFF OF BIRDNECK RD IN VB VA MORE PICS TO COME SOON

Cool! Play the slots, win a tiki?
Welcome to T.C.!

V

MORE LIKE HIT JACKPOT BUY ME A DRINK

[ Edited by: VBTIKI 2008-01-10 12:05 ]

B

Welcome to TC, vbtiki, Glad to see you carving and posting pic's already. Your First tiki is Excellent for a first and better than a lot of other first. The Tiki Bar is well on its way too! Come on in and stay awhile.

S

Welcome, Nice tiki, Nice bar. Love the tiki room so
cool to have your own corner of the world.
I see a couple surf icons on the wall Right On.

V

YEAH SEEK SURF I SURF HERE AND THE OUTER BANKS MOSTLY BUT IF YOUR A SURFER IN VB YOU BETTER HAVE A FEW OTHER WAYS TO HAVE FUN WITH THE AMOUNT OF SURF WE GET HERE. BUT I HAVE A SICK RETRO FISH THAT DIDNT FIT IN THE PIC.BUT THANX FOR THE WELCOME EVERYONE I AM MAKING TIKIS FOR FRIENDS AND A FEW IN THE AREA STILL LEARNING A LOT AS I GO BUT HAVIN FUN CARVIN THESE THINGS

S

After a closer look i see the board.
Right on! The tiki carving can be addictive
as i have just recently found out.

ST

Where's your shop, in the industrial park by the rec center with Austin and Frierson? I am a VBer also. There have been a few other VB folks drift through here over the past few years but none that stuck around.

V

YEAH ITS IN THAT STORAGE PLACE ON THE WAY IN TO THE PARK IT IS A SMALL SPOT BUT IT FITS LUMBER AND WORKSPACE. 24 HOURS TO BOOT I USUALLY GO AFTER WORK AND MAKE SAW DUST

V

this is the latest creation in progress

this one was a small log where i tried a few things differently but not to happy with the crown on his head ill have to come up with something different

these are my latest three sealed and ready to go im still making them for friends fairly cheap in the vb area to cover the cost of the shop i think they are getting better as i go so i will continue to post pics as they are availible i think my next will incorporate a mail box or a bench seat not sure yet any critique is welcome as ive learned a lot from the people on this site

ST

Hey, shoot me a PM with prices. I also know someone who has a tree service so I may be able to hook you up with some wood, if you don't already have your own source.

I'm guessing you are in the Jack Rabbit then? I live on 23rd St.

ST

Nice VB, the crown is working for me.

V

thanx seeksurf i was on the fence about it are you still surfin WA this time of year aayyyhhh thats cold if you are. there is adeveloper trying to get this thing called vbxpark in vb which will have 3 heated wave pools super stoked on that. not like the real thing but it works

ST

oooh, they're heated? I was kinda against it 'cause I'm sure the wrong people will be reaping the benefits form it, but if it's heated I might be open to reconsideration.

V

here's some pics of the latest tiki its the last piece of gum wood from a tree that was cut down at my parents house.

[ Edited by: VBTIKI 2008-01-31 18:17 ]

Very nice work VB !
I'm looking forward to doing some carving myself .

V
VBTIKI posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 8:33 AM

this is a palm log that was pretty wet but i wanted to carve it anyway it was much quicker than expected i just have to holloow out the mouth area ill be at the shop tonight finishing it then i have a six footer that is a commission piece that needs to be carved as well

[ Edited by: VBTIKI 2008-02-07 20:06 ]

S

Nice good to see you going at it.

Are you using your cell phone as a camera?

V
VBTIKI posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 8:08 PM

i uploaded the photos from an old comp but i think i fixed them the picture doesnt really do it justice b/c the wood is two tone but it should look a little cleaner when finished.

B

Looking Excellent VB, keep it up and you will be among the best before you know it!.

V
VBTIKI posted on Fri, Feb 8, 2008 8:07 AM

thanx seeksurf and benzart i appreciate your input you have some very nice pieces yourself. i didnt get to the shop last night but i will tonight so that log should be done soon i get about four pics before the batteries on my camera die so i must have paranormal activity in the shop will take pics if i can.

Wow VB nice work bro! Your workshop is right by my house.(salt marsh point). Its cool to see some other VB guys on this thread.

Dont know if you guys heard or not but the oceanfront is getting a tiki bar! Since they tore down the Thunderbird on 35th street they are erecting a huge new expensivo hotel with a so called "tiki bar" down stairs on the board walk. I hope the stick to the traditional 50's style tiki bar. Anyways the thing is still being built but what i was thinking is that maybe local carvers should get together and see if they could get some of their pieces put in this new place. There is alot of talent out here(me excluded) and it would be nice to see local boys get some some of there hard work placed in a traditional tiki bar. Next time i go on a run or a bike ride i'll see if i can get some contact info.

Sorry bro i'm not trying to hijack your thread i just got all excited seeing some other VB cats on here. Keep up the good work mate and hopefully I' ll see ya around in the lineup, or out at the bars.
Cheers,
Tiki Sea-Luff

ST

Wow, that would be cool to have an actual tiki bar. We have several bars with some decent tiki decor but not the atmosphere. I hang out at Mai Bar/Baja Cantina a lot and they have some interesting tikis in there but I would be reluctant to call it an actual tiki bar.

Unfortunately if it is going up on the boardwalk it will probably end up being some sort of Buffet inspired bar rather than an actual tiki bar, after all everybody calls the deck at Rudee's a tiki bar and it doesn't even have a theme of any sort.

V

when i lived at the beach baja cantina was my spot i bet if you go there and have the waitress put the name "Buck" on the ticket your tacos will come back larger than life i ate there every week for almost two years i love those fish tacos w/pbr all night Buck is my name thats why they wrote in on the ticket it was an unspoken rule because i would bring tons into their business. they have some work from mai tiki in there too

ST

Yup, I'm there every Monday for dollar tacos and mystery beer, and sometimes on Thursday for 2 fer 1 tacos and 1.50 Tecate pounders, and sometimes on the weekends, I guess I'm there a lot (it's down the street from my house).

On 2008-01-31 18:15, VBTIKI wrote:
here's some pics of the latest tiki its the last piece of gum wood from a tree that was cut down at my parents house.

I like this guy a lot. Looks like it turned out great.

Dude I go to dolla tacs/ mystery beer every monday too! i love that stuff!! Baja has awesome fish tacos and lobster tacos on weds.

Anyways double checked on the tiki bar the beach and it was what i feared, just another ritzy poolside bar with no tiki style whatsoever but they still call it a "tiki bar". Hopefully someday someone will open one here at the beach...... Till then keep carving bros and i'll see yall at baja on mondays for life.......

V

thanx flat black i tried to sand it but it took off the sealant so i had to re burn sand then seal again but it looks better than the pic ill try to take a pic but my camera is actin up on me i finished the 6 footer yesterday ill put that pic up asap i picked up a new grinder that made quick work of the palm logs. yeah tiki sea luff thats what i heard from a friend of mine but maybe ill catch you at baja im long overdue for some tacos with baja sauce i would have abaja sauce drip into my arm if it was possible

[ Edited by: VBTIKI 2008-02-16 14:33 ]

Nice dude, the sauce at baja is rad! Once every other month i'll but the uber hott stuff on 1 taco just to let myself know i'm alive.

It looks like you are getting some nice logs. Your tikis keep getting better and better. Do you know anything about the carver on first colonial next to the napa? his stuff is sick!

peace bro,
Sea-luff

V

i have seen them and i had a customer that told me he had talked to him about puchasing one i think they go for 500-600 bones each so im sellin mine for about 100-200 for now. he does do some nice work though. im the poor mans tiki carver cause thats who i am and thats who i care about

[ Edited by: VBTIKI 2008-02-17 13:38 ]

Nice work! I really like that piece from the gum tree. The split gives him a lot of character.

Keep it up and thanks for sharing!

V

thanx carven image i liked that one too but gum is the worst wood ive ever worked with but its pretty common around here i finally got a pic of my six foot commission piece

i am amazed at how well the angle grinder works on the palm logs i think ive found my favorite type of wood

There's a guy over in Shadow Lawn that carves too. His name's Cliff something. He has some tiki's in Bad Ass coffee next to Croc's.

Mmmmm...green sauce and Hobbs Beer.

[ Edited by: Surf tiki 2008-02-21 07:47 ]

V

lookin for lumber the tree companies dont have much goin on for tree loppin i guess or maybe i just sound to desperate for the new cuts i hope we see some hurricane action this year for a couple of reasons.

S

Nice job I'm like the mouth and teeth.

ST

I'll see what I can dig up. I'll let you know.

V

thanx for the input seek surf i was gonna try and put some more detail into the eyes and forehead to even it out but havent gotten around to it yet

surf tiki thanx for tappin your resources i still have the small logs in the latest pic but im hooked on the big pieces of wood that sounds derogatory but its not intended

Yeah i think the guy that does the tikis for bad ass coffee's name is cliff powell. I have seen some of his work at the smokehouse (tad's deli), his stuff is really cool.

Finding wood around here is kinda tough. Unless you have a hook up in the tree removal business its slim pickins. I tried to take the chainsaw for a walk in the woods behind my house looking for some downed trees but all the good stuff was about 50+ yards in and i would have needed like 4 guys to lift the sizes i had in mind.

Dude your latest work is uber rad, I really like the mouth and the way the teeth look.

Peace,

V

thanx sea-luff I put a band around his head and a stick through his nose then sealed it but my camera still isnt workin i carved another piece of palm where the mouth looks similar but I changed the face design a little i really like the new one but i cant get a photo of it. I was goin to buy anew chainsaw recently but looks like i need a new camera first. Damn priorities!!

V

sea-luff If you saw some good logs i would help you carry them out plus i have that trail bike in the shop that could probably drag some logs for most of the way

Sounds like a good possibility. Tell you what, hopefully i'll go for another walk before the end of the week in the woods and see what i can find.(its been a few monthes) If i see some good stuff for us i'll cut it on site and then maybe we can get up this weekend and carry those suckas out! Sometimes the log looks great only to find out that when you cut it its rotten. Most of the dead fall is still leftovers from izzy a few years back. But i am hoping for some newer stuff from some of the high wind storms we have had lately.

I'll keep you posted brah I might have a other spots up my sleeves for logs..........

Cheers.

V

there was some loggin goin on at birdneck behind rick romano's shop i was gonna poke my head into see if there were any logs they didnt want but forest choppin sounds good to me. I'm tryin to persuade a friend his monster cedar tree would look better as tikis but to no avail.

Ahh no luck bro all the stuff thats down in my hood is rotted pretty good. If you are hurt up for wood go on shoredrive and just look in the ceter median. they chopped down big pines there and when they felled the trunks they just chopped them into sections and left them there. I would bring a fullbed truck and some buddies as they are large pieces. Happy hunting!

Peace bro,

Tiki sea-luff.

V
VBTIKI posted on Sun, Mar 9, 2008 6:02 PM

I have been having a hard time getting my camera to work so this week i was able to snap off some photos of my latest works this was the six foot palm log shown in progress earlier

The sealant i used caused it to crack a bit so i need to tend to that

Side view

this was another palm log about a foot in diameter and about three feet tall

side view

This was also a palm that is a fat little guy but i havent sealed or burned it just yet and im not sure if im going to

this log is a mystery wood to me b/c it carves pretty well but is still wet or at least really heavy
I plan on having some sort of parking lot sale in virginia beach in a couple of weeks to cover some of the cost of my shop but i will post more details on that when i have a few more pieces carved. I'll post more pics as i go

later
VBTIKI

ST

Lookin' good. Hope you were able to get some wood off of Lee.

V

thanx surf tiki for the number and the props I did call Lee he said it was slim pickins but i left a number with him so no worries im sure i will hear from him in due time.

ST

You might have some luck back in the woods behind the Ocean Pebbles area (Salt Marsh Point maybe?). I was dog sitting back there last weekend and there are quite a few downed trees close to the road. Fed property but there are walking trails through it.

B

I'm really loving the deep clean detail you are getting on these excellent tikis, keep up the good work.

Pages: 1 2 65 replies