Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tikis around your neighborhood

Pages: 1 2 78 replies

Those were very cool looking Tikis. No Asian import mojo, done by a local professional no doubt. I would assume that someone appreciative saved these.

I saw this one on St George Island, a few hours south of Tallahassee FL.

T

Does that 'Tiki' have long black hair??
Don't know if I want that thing staring at me poolside!! :wink:

Came upon this one up in Cleveland....not a legitimate carving, per se....but I'd take it if I could fit it on the family van.

Outside a tattoo parlor in Western Mass:

O
Otto posted on Sun, Sep 8, 2013 8:55 PM

On 2008-12-01 12:42, thejab wrote:
Here's one at the Tropic Sands Apartments down the street from me in Alameda, CA. There's a wooden bridge style walkway at the entrance between two lava rock ponds / fountains, the tiki, and some nice nautical elements. It looks better at night and they need to pull out some of the reedy looking vegetation.

Sadly, as of at least Sept 1, 2013, the cool Milan Guanko style Tiki is gone, and the tropical foliage is cut way back. I didn't park and check to see if other features were removed.

W

In the yard of a pretty swell midcentury split-level on SW Holden in Seattle.

O
Otto posted on Sat, Oct 31, 2015 9:49 AM

...and as of Oct 2015 the Tropic Sands apartment will no longer be Tiki Style

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-11-04 21:23 ]

This tiki has been posted on TC before but I was unable to find the thread. I think someone felt that it was from “the Tiki’s” in Monterey Park, California. Its is now sited at a private residence just about a half mile from the site of “The Tiki’s”

B

My neighborhood is more into topiary, garden gnomes and concrete lanterns. (pop tikis may offend people here anyway) But these guys are up the road in Volcano Village:

C

When I was living in Portland, I found this guy on my bike ride to work off of NE Fremont.

H

On a recent trip to Atescadero, Calif. I found this in one of the neighborhood streets.

In Long Beach, CA. It was carved by David Schultz for a business that is no longer in business. I keep watch over it.

bump

Was on my way to a friend's house in Kaneohe, HI and took a wrong turn where I spotted this nice wooden craved tiki in the front on this house.

After gathering some bravery I went to the door to tell the house owner that I loved his tiki and I wanted to know the history of it. Thank heavens he did have a loaded shot gun at the ready, but instead he was very nice and cordial. His name was John and just retired. Years back he told me he took a wood working class and he caved the tiki out in front of his house. He also shown me others he carved, pictured below

And he also shared with me this nice piece of tiki art that his mother-in-law gave him.

John also was thinking of taking up his hobby again in his retirement, and I hope he does.

On 2015-11-23 17:06, creativenative wrote:
Was on my way to a friend's house in Kaneohe, HI and took a wrong turn where I spotted this nice wooden craved tiki in the front on this house.

Mahalo for sharing.
Cheers

The Aku Aku Tiki in Sunset park Las Vegas. :) Funny how no one here ever knows where it came from. :wink:

On 2015-12-07 18:42, hang10tiki wrote:

Dat’s pretty cool Jon. Is it a signal control box in Las Vegas?

On 2015-11-24 10:39, Kraken007 wrote:

The Aku Aku Tiki in Sunset park Las Vegas. :) Funny how no one here ever knows where it came from. :wink:

A few of us do :wink:

And maybe more in the future....

T

In north Tacoma...

Much more at Gone Tiki on Facebook. (his work and other inspirations)

H

Yesterday, Abbott Kinney, Venice Beach.

Got lost a few months ago while looking for an advertised garage sale and passed this place -

The nonsense on the gate is a local football team.

David- I think so

H

Kind of not fair but here's tiki in the neighborhood of Waikiki

David- yep

Saw this one today

Burittos, bowls, and tacos??? How’s the poke Jon?

One taking shape in north Tacoma bound for the Tacoma Cabana, Jim Kruize (Gone Tiki on Facebook) is the carver.

Took him a day just to stand it up!

It sure isn't small.

Guess it won't be in my neighborhood for long!

I've gotta run by tomorrow to see whats been done this week!

I've wanted to post these for a long time!

Sibling Tikis at the Southwest corner of Delaware and Utica in Huntington Beach. I believe these were crafted by Crazy Al in early 2016.

Pages: 1 2 78 replies