Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Vintage Jade Tiles

Pages: 1 2 75 replies

I think that one would definitely be considered pre-tiki :lol:

-Trad'r Bill

Stopping by Smuggler's Cove last night got me thinking about these tiles again... I've accumulated quite a few, which will be integrated into my tiki room eventually.

Here are the ones in my collection:

my "antique" tiles I found in various places...

tiles from Chinatown SF:

from Trader Vic's St. Louis:

jade tile lamp shade, also from TV St. Louis (Smuggler's Cove has one of these too):

Thanks for lookin'-
-Trad'r Bill

Great collection Trad'r Bill. I have looked around Chinatown in SF several times for those on visits and have yet to find a store that has them. I even keep a photo on my phone to show the shop keepers what I am trying to find. I should be heading up that way this summer, so any info on location would be appreciated.

DC

B

I really like the lamp and have never seen the tiles in the wild.

T

On 2012-05-08 21:09, Dustycajun wrote:
Great collection Trad'r Bill. I have looked around Chinatown in SF several times for those on visits and have yet to find a store that has them. I even keep a photo on my phone to show the shop keepers what I am trying to find. I should be heading up that way this summer, so any info on location would be appreciated.

DC

Have you tried the Tai Yick Trading Company at 1400 Powell?

I bought some tiles from them on eBay a few years back. Their eBay seller id is bestchinaware on eBay, and they have websites at
http://www.taiyick.net and http://www.bestchinaware.net.

Wat Arun in Bangkok is decorated with a large amount of jade tiles...

and tons of broken Chinese porcelain..

..all the ceramic that decorates the temple was brought from China as ballast in trading ships. So Jade tiles really started off as cheap goods to fill space when shipping more expensive products, attractive packing peanuts if you will.

Cool pictures atomictikitony - I had never heard that they were used as ballast material.

DC, Thomamas and I bought ours at the same place... Tai Yick on Powell. I also got tipped off to this place through eBay... I think they were around $25/ea. Probably want to call to see if they have them in stock...

I figured I might as well share some pictures of the lamp shade I've collected:

Trader Vic's Scottsdale (first incarnation):

TV Tokyo:

TV Dallas (on the wall on the right):

Smuggler's Cove:

I also saw a bunch of these at TV LA Live, but can't find a picture right now...

Enjoy-
-Trad'r Bill

[ Edited by: Trad'r Bill 2012-05-09 09:13 ]

Would be cool for some potters to make a modern day version of these. Small ones for coasters, larger ones for wall or room divider decor. Maybe someone is already doing that and I have missed it, if so, a link would be handy. I love these tiles, they are certainly beautiful in shape, style and colors.

I made a prototype coaster Vamp but never got around to making a mold and making up a bunch

Ah yes...I remember your fabulous coaster...you should go with that...I would certainly love a set.

I second that motion. I think the coasters are a great idea and would love to get a set.

There ya go Mike...your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to make Tile Coasters.

Go mike go

OK Vamp, Giles, & H10T. I tried one mold a while back and it failed, I have a new plan but it involves some uncharted territory for me. I have some other projects going on right now, my goal is to see if I can have some Jade Tile Coasters ready by the end of summer.

EDIT - this thread is not really the place for Market discussions, I'll send you a PM if/when I get some ready.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music" Friedrich Nietzsche

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-05-13 23:04 ]

Me want some too Mad Dog!

Would make a fun pendant!

Fabulous...will follow your progress in the marketing forum.

And now back to tiles tiles and more tiles. I love the vibrant colors and especially that soft yellow color. Keep those pictures coming.

On 2010-11-18 14:42, VanTiki wrote:
Great thread! Those tiles are all over Oahu. Seemed to be a popular architectural accent for homes built in the 30's. You can spot them on homes along the old pali road, in Nuuanu, and a few in Manoa. A bunch are set in a wall in Lanikai, and I always ponder where I could get my hands on some every time I run by it.

Henrik

that's ironic considering you work in ceramics and can make your own anytime you want !! :)

Chinese tile score! It was free! Ever see one in day glow orange??

The Adelaide Tichenor House in Long Beach, CA was built in 1904 by the famed Craftsmen architects Greene & Greene and it has a distinct Japanese influence. Greene & Greene had designed quite a few of the furnishings for the home, but they have long since been sold. The home was remodeled in 1953 and I'm assuming that is when the jade tiles were added since I can't them in the 1904 pictures. The house caught fire in 2011, but before then was in desperate need of preserving. It doesn't help that Long Beach doesn't do a good job at preserving its past and the oceanfront home is now scrunched in between 2 condo buildings.
It's at 852 E. Ocean Blvd and is so overgrown with trees and shrubs you have probably driven by it and not noticed it. That stretch of Ocean Blvd used to be lined with stately homes, but most have been torn down and replaced with apartment buildings or condos.
http://www.usc.edu/dept/architecture/greeneandgreene/261.html

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-03-30 12:27 ]

Saw these at a store near Portland Trader Vic's
I think they were around 65.00 ea

Wow..that orange one is crazy cool!!! I would love to have a whole heard of tiles, they would look good on some kind of a bamboo grid on my ceiling...maybe in the year 2525.

Vamp,
It's been almost a year,
Did MDM ever make any small ones?

Jon

Yeah I was noticing that. If anyone can do it MDM would be the man!!! Will ask him if he has made any progress. Those would be awesome coasters.

H
Hearn posted on Mon, Jul 3, 2017 5:31 AM

Mahalo!
Has anyone found an inexpensive source for these jade tiles? I'm surprised no tiki artisan hasn't created any...

On 2013-03-30 12:26, tikilongbeach wrote:
The Adelaide Tichenor House in Long Beach, CA was built in 1904 by the famed Craftsmen architects Greene & Greene and it has a distinct Japanese influence. Greene & Greene had designed quite a few of the furnishings for the home, but they have long since been sold. The home was remodeled in 1953 and I'm assuming that is when the jade tiles were added since I can't them in the 1904 pictures. The house caught fire in 2011, but before then was in desperate need of preserving. It doesn't help that Long Beach doesn't do a good job at preserving its past and the oceanfront home is now scrunched in between 2 condo buildings.
It's at 852 E. Ocean Blvd and is so overgrown with trees and shrubs you have probably driven by it and not noticed it. That stretch of Ocean Blvd used to be lined with stately homes, but most have been torn down and replaced with apartment buildings or condos.
http://www.usc.edu/dept/architecture/greeneandgreene/261.html

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-03-30 12:27 ]

The Escalantes lived in this house for a stint. Greg ie; Juxtapose art mag and brother Joe ie; the Vandals. and a bunch more of them :wink:

Hang in there about a month or so. I expect to have a ready supply of these in various colors by then! If anyone has specific interest or color preferences, please contact me. Be patient...it's only been ten years since this conversation started! :)
Keep an eye out for more developments on Facebook on The Art Of KenTiki page.
@TheArtOfKenTiki

wow awesome thread, i look forward to making some for my homebar. great reference with the images! cheers!

I see that Cheeky Tiki sells them in the UK. $70 each , almost 120 shipping to buy three!
https://cheekytiki.com/product/teal-chinese-jade-tile/
Anyone know where to get them in the US or the Cheeky Tiki sourcing??
SBC

Pages: 1 2 75 replies