Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Road Trip: Milwaukee (9/22), Atlanta (9/29) -- SEE PAGE 7

Pages: 1 2 3 98 replies

On 2007-05-01 13:52, rugbymatt wrote:
Does somebody need a hug? Or is this just misplaced Bears fan anger?

TipsyMac, any word on tiki doings in Chicago this spring/summer?

outside of exotica 2007 and tiki eyeball.....we ain't got shit goin on here.....for more info on those 2 events you can stay current by visiting their websites or by locating the threads here on t.c.

T

Tipsy!

If 'ain't shit' includes regular FOM meetings, DvA Gallery's third annual Tiki show (how could you forget that - aren't YOU in it?), stuff at Tiki Terrace almost every weekend, and at least one TRT2 signing (date/place TBA), then yeah, we ain't got shit... oh, and what other state has TWO major-ish Tiki weekenders in one summer (Exotica/Eyeball)?

I'd say that ChiIL is the place to be this summer.

T

On 2007-05-01 10:11, Bora Boris wrote:
Stop the Presses!

Hi James,
Is it too late to include the closing of the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's in TRT2?

Stop the presses, indeed.

The book is already at the printers.

Every text change (even just adding a comma) that I make after the printer gets the book costs me $17 (out of my own pocket) per change to make - assuming the actual process of printing hasn't commenced yet. If graphic desgin tweaks are called for, then that gets REALLY expensive.

But let's just say that TVBH cost me some cash late last night...

Ink goes to paper any second now...

I can hear those presses now!!! So looking forward to this one. Thanks for being so dedicated and helping the world stay current. :)

T

http://www.tydirium.net/tiki/tikiroadtrip.html

Ladies and Germs, as you all know, Tiki Road Trip 2 will be in your hot little hands in less than a month.

Tiki Road Trip has been called "The book I wish I wrote" by Charles Bukowski, Kurt Vonnegut, John Steinbeck, Hunter S. Thompson, and George Orwell (not really... but if any of them were alive, they surely WOULD HAVE said this).

Although "Tiki Road Trip" is a really freaking great title for a book, "Tiki Road Trip: 2nd Edition" doesn't really pop as well as it could.

In coming up with this ultimately milquetoast rethinking of the intially snappy title for this book, many options were explored, such as:

Around the World with 80 Suffering Bastards

Kon-Tiki Road Trip: Across the Pacific by Mobile Exploration Lab

Tiki Road Trip: I Drink in Shitty Bars So You Don't Have To

Tiki For Dummies

Lolita*

Tiki Road Trip, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Crappy, Syrupy, Mai Tais.

How to Win Friends and Influence People to Drink Zombies

('four symbols' - 'zoso', et al)

Tiki Road Trip 2: Electric Boogaloo

Tiki Road Trip Strikes Back

Tiki van der Road Trip the Younger

The Great Gatsby**

Encyclopedia Tikiroadtripa

Tiki Road Trip: Now With 30% More Tiki Goodness

Tiki Road Trip: No, Really, I DO Know Shag... NOW Will You Sleep With Me?

Fac-Tiki-Totem

The Tiki Road Trip of Our Hung-Over Discontent

All right, these are getting worse by the moment.
Hey kids!
Add your own!

And order Tiki Road Trip 2 NOW at this link:

• = turns out this one was taken. Who knew!
    ** = ditto.
BB

On 2007-05-07 15:43, tikibars wrote:
All right, these are getting worse by the moment.
Hey kids!
Add your own!

• Tiki Road Warrior

Mai Tai Mana

On The Road Again - oh, that's taken

Traveling with Tiki

Ku Said It Would Be Like This - Tiki Bars Everywhere

The Best Tiki Bars in the World

The History of the World of Tiki Bars

I always liked:

tiki road trip I: "a fistful of maitais"

and tiki road trip II: "for a few maitais more"

S
Swanky posted on Tue, May 8, 2007 8:58 AM

How about "Tiki Quest"? :wink:

G

Travelin' Tiki Style
Tiki Travel Companion
The Tiki Traveler
Come Away With Me: It's Tiki Time! *
Where's Tiki?
Lookin' For Tiki
Tiki Hot Spots
Tiki Gone Wild!

Okay... I should stop this insanity.

• Copyright Norah Jones.

tiki road trip II: "sometimes the shortest way home is the longest way around"

R

"Tiki Tiki - Drinki Drinki"

Tiki Gods, Bars and Moais
The Closest Place for a Zombie
The Luau Locator

H

Have tiki will travel.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2007-05-09 07:21 ]

All over the Road: Tiki Road Trip II

T

Books left the printing presses by truck on Tuesday (May 29).

Due to arrive at the Santa Monica Press/Independant Publisher's Group warehouse on Friday.

People who ordered from me will have copies shipped Monday or Tuesday (June 4/5).

Amazon orders should ship some time next week... I can't say when (as long as it takes for the books to go from SMP's warehoue to Amazon's and then for the orders to br processed and shipped... a week or two?).

Official book debut event is at Hukilau - June 15.

I am working on signing events for: Tiki Oasis, Socttsdale, Las Vegas, Pittsburgh, Hot Rod Hula Hop, Chicago, Alameda, Cleveland, Los Angeles, New York, Boston area.
NONE of these are confimed YET, nor are there firm dates yet.

But it from me in person, or buy it here:

Mahalo nui nui once again for all of the enthusiasm and support for this project!

K

On 2007-05-30 13:21, tikibars wrote:

I am working on signing events for: Tiki Oasis, Socttsdale, Las Vegas, Pittsburgh, Hot Rod Hula Hop, Chicago, Alameda, Cleveland, Los Angeles, New York, Boston area.
NONE of these are confimed YET, nor are there firm dates yet.

Is Dallas on the radar?

Any chance of doing the signing night at the DVA Gallery's tiki night this year? Might be a nice tie in for both of you.

Anxiously awaiting my copy...

On 2007-05-31 07:18, Tiki Flange wrote:
Any chance of doing the signing night at the DVA Gallery's tiki night this year? Might be a nice tie in for both of you.
Anxiously awaiting my copy...

I will be at the DvA show for sure, and will have some books with me (I always keep a case of 'em in my car!).
As for signing at the show, "officially", that little gallery (size matters not - it rocks!) is going to be so crammed full o' people that night, that I'm not sure that there will be any room for me to set up a table...!
We'll see...

As for Dallas, I would adore an excuse to come down and do something at the new Trader Vic's.
I will PM you with the details.
Anyone else who thinks an event in their town is a good idea, please PM me with your 'proper' email address (one I can send a PDF to).

T

Tiki Road Trip 2 has reached the Chicago warehoue of Independant Publishers Group, who distribute all of the books published by Santa Monica Press.

I will have books in hand Wednesday morning.

Pre-orders will be mailed by the end of the week.

See y'all at Hukilau for the big public debut of the Tiki Road Trip 2!

On 2007-05-07 15:43, tikibars wrote:

Ladies and Germs, as you all know, Tiki Road Trip 2 will be in your hot little hands in less than a month.

Tiki Road Trip has been called "The book I wish I wrote" by Charles Bukowski, Kurt Vonnegut, John Steinbeck, Hunter S. Thompson, and George Orwell (not really... but if any of them were alive, they surely WOULD HAVE said this).

Although "Tiki Road Trip" is a really freaking great title for a book, "Tiki Road Trip: 2nd Edition" doesn't really pop as well as it could.

What is the snappy new title?

T

On 2007-06-04 23:26, christiki295 wrote:
What is the snappy new title?

"Tiki Road Trip: 2nd Edition"

(altough I liked your idea of The Luau Locator!)

T

The eagle has landed (or perhaps, the Kon-Tiki has landed!).

Point is: I have 180 copies of TRT2 in my living room, and there are 4820 more in the IPG warehouse.

Tiki Road Trip 2 is being mailed to pre-orders tomorrow, and Hukilau attendees will be able to pick up a copy at my first TRT2 book signing, right after my seminar on Friday, June 15. The seminar is from 3:30 to 4:15, and the book signing is immediately after that, until 6:30.

I am very pleased with the way this book came out.
It is a huge leap forward from TRT 1 in every respect, and I honestly think that if you liked TRT 1, you'll be suitably impressed enough with TRT 2 to update your library.
And if you were on the fence about the first edition, this one ought to tip you inot the realm of true believers!

S

just ordered mine!!!
wheeeeeeeee
got an extra for a friend too!
GO!!! GO BUY THE BOOK!!!!
Pea

I was in NYC visiting friends last week and we went to Brooklyn's Zombie Hut. Upon learning I was from Chicago, the attractive bartender started telling me about the psychology of tiki in the midwest. Asked how she knew all of this, she told me that she had spent hours chatting with "the guy who wrote a book about taking a tiki road trip." James, it's nice to know you spread the gospel while doing your research!

Reedalong, cool story, thanks for sharing.

T

Pre-order copies were mailed out last Thursday; they should be arriving soon (if not already -- sent Media Mail -- kinda slow).

I'll have 135 copies with me at Hukilau this weekend.
The official book signing is at about 4:15-ish on Friday at the Yankee Clipper, right after my 3:30 seminar. It'll wrap up about 6:30.

mahalo

T

On 2007-06-13 09:21, tikibars wrote:
Pre-order copies were mailed out last Thursday; they should be arriving soon (if not already -- sent Media Mail -- kinda slow).

The official book signing is at about 4:15-ish on Friday at the Yankee Clipper, right after my 3:30 seminar. It'll wrap up about 6:30.

mahalo

James could you put on some lipstick and kiss my copy.

On 2007-06-13 12:44, tedtiki wrote:

On 2007-06-13 09:21, tikibars wrote:

mahalo

take a xerox of your ass and send it to him...he can plant one on there and sign that for you as well.

T

On 2007-06-13 12:44, tedtiki wrote:

Sure, after YOU put on some lipstick and kiss my...
Oh, never mind.

CAN DO!

T

Scored a copy of the book last weekend in Chicago straight from JT at no less than the Hala Kahiki. What a detailed book - so much more in there than the first volume! I have only browsed through it so far and barely scratched the surface.

Some unfortunate news - looks like I won't be at Oasis this year, after all.

I really wanted to do some book launch events on the west coast, but it looks like that won't be happening.

Midwest events are still in the cards.
Stay tuned.

So... anyone west of the Mississippi River who wants to buy a copy from me directly is encouraged to do so at:

http://www.tydirium.net

TS

On 2007-07-16 10:43, tikibars wrote:
Some unfortunate news - looks like I won't be at Oasis this year, after all.

I really wanted to do some book launch events on the west coast, but it looks like that won't be happening.

Ahh man...Thats horrible news for us! Ehh, you'll be back one day to sunny socal!

T

Tiki Road Trip in Columbus for HOT ROD HULA HOP

Hi everyone!

The Tiki Road Trip caravan will be rolling through Columbus this weekend, so that James can hook you all up with copies of Tiki Road Trip 2 during the Hot Rod Hula Hop 3 event.

HRHH a third-annual Tiki fanatic gathering (which also incorporates a vintage car show) presented by the Fraternal Order of Moai (FOM).

More info on the event is here -

http://www.hotrodhulahop.com

I'll be there all weekend; book signing will be Saturday afternoon on the same premises as the car show. Zooooom.

For you Clevelanders, I'll be up in the land of the burning river visiting some family on Monday through Weds, and will check out the new (not Tiki but still exotica - or so I am told) Vhooda restaurant in Parma. Tikiphiles are invited to come out and say hi (and pick up a book if I have any left). Email for details as I figure them out (time and day).

I will end the week in Fort Wayne, Indiana at the new Kahunaz Lounge on either Wednesday or Thursday night (TBA). Again, Indiana Tiki people are welcome to come out and say Aloha (email for details, etc).

Hope to see you this week - midwest Tiki is the best - we're the ones who need it the most!

As always, mail-order autographed copies of Tiki Road Trip 2 are available here:

http://www.tydirium.net/

TD

james , the VHOODA is in Middleburg hts ,on Bagley rd. just west of I71. get the shrimp dish. Get in touch ,to stop by. I have scored got lots of WITCO since you last visit. TD

well? did you make it to Vhooda? Did you try the shrimp dish? What did you think of FLOWER CHILD? or have you been there before? Next time on the back yard. call, TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2007-08-16 12:42 ]

T

On 2007-08-16 12:41, TIKI DAVID wrote:
well? did you make it to Vhooda? Did you try the shrimp dish? What did you think of FLOWER CHILD? or have you been there before? Next time on the back yard.

Vhooda is a disaster, a joke.
The Mayan temple look in the main dining room was sorta cool, but I took one look at the very pricey menu (the food seemed TGIFridays quality from what the people around me were eating), the manager I said hello to was brain dead, and the (very sexy) bartenders told me that they discontinued the tropical drink menu in the (almost) tiki bar because it was too much trouble. I bailed out of there and ate in Lakewood at Melt, which was pretty good (not at all Tiki).

I checked out Flower Child (small antique mall), which is about 2 blocks from my old pad near the Cleveland-Lakewood border, and found it to be very cool. Wish it had been there 15 years ago when I lived over there...
Lots of Tiki stuff in there, but I am being extremely selective about what I buy these days, so I just got a little Maori mask carved for the New Zealand tourist trade.

Both of these places, and a lot more, will be in my next article for Tiki Magazine, which will cover the Midwest.

T

Tiki Road Trip: Chicago (9/13), Milwaukee (9/22), Atlanta (9/29)

Aloha!

Tiki Road Trip 2 author James Teitelbaum will be doing three big book signings in the month of September!

The first is at Tiki Terrace in the northwestern Chicago suburb of Northbrook, on Thursday, September 13.

Live entertainment and vendors will also be on hand, and of course it is Zombie Thursday too - two-for-one Zombies all night long!

The fun starts at 7:00 p.m.!

Tiki Terrace is at 1 S. Wolf Rd., Prospect Heights, IL (847) 795-8454
For directions, see the Tiki Terrace web site:
http://thetikiterrace.com/tikievents.html

Note that this is James' ONLY scheduled book signing in his home town of Chicago this summer, so come out and say hello.

Just up the road in Milwaukee, James will be signing at the excellent Foundation bar on Saturday, September 22.

The Bikini Beachcombers and the Cocktail Preachers will be spinning tunes, and once again there will be vendors on hand to sell you even more Tiki swag for your own home lounge (you DO have one, don't you???).

Foundation: 2718 N. Breman, Milwaukee, WI (414) 374-2587

Finishing off the month, the Tiki Road Trip caravan takes to the skies for a trip to the amazing Atlanta Hilton, home of one of the best remaining vintage Trader Vic's restaurants. Their regular Tiki Torch Nights event takes place on Saturday, September 29. Trader Vic's will be unveiling their new menu that weekend, so come have some food.

There will be live music, James scribbling on books, and lots more. This Trader Vic's is always a pleasure to visit, and I hope to see all of my southern 'ohana out for a Mai Tai that night.

Thanks again to all of you for your readership and support!

mahalo nui

James T.

[ Edited by: tikibars 2007-09-07 10:30 ]

TS

James, finally got a chance to pick up 2nd edition, and it is chock full of details and revisions! Sheesh! When comparing it to 1st edition, its amazing how much changes in such a short time. Great job, and when in SoCal, drop me a message. Congrats again on a well done job!

On 2007-09-06 13:28, Tom Slick wrote:
James, finally got a chance to pick up 2nd edition, and it is chock full of details and revisions! Sheesh! When comparing it to 1st edition, its amazing how much changes in such a short time. Great job, and when in SoCal, drop me a message. Congrats again on a well done job!

i agree...the second one is far better. ....now i want a refund for the first edition i wasted money on you carpet-bagging bastard!!

T

Tipsy, I was gonna wait until the second edition has completely sold out to announce that the third edition comes with a free bottle of rum, and every cover hand-painted by Shag, but that'd be letting the cat out of the bag too soon...

T

WCIU TV is going to be at the Chicago book signing on Thursday filming for one of their local Chicago television programs (The Chicago Insider). So everyone show up early, dress real purdy, and get your sexy asses on telley.

Tiki Terrace, 7 p.m.!

I had planned to be at the Atlanta gig but have to go to Dallas for a meeting...bummer. I look forward to hearing all about it. BTW my back still hurts from when BK and I tried to throw your fat butt in the surf at Hukilau...lose some weight will ya? Guess I'll order mine on line. Can't wait to read it. Book 1 has been well used..so many drink stains you can hardly see the print.

Call if ever in the Tampa area.

Jungle Jim

T

On 2007-09-12 12:20, Jungle Jim & Jennifer wrote:
I had planned to be at the Atlanta gig but have to go to Dallas for a meeting...bummer. I look forward to hearing all about it. BTW my back still hurts from when BK and I tried to throw your fat butt in the surf at Hukilau...lose some weight will ya? Guess I'll order mine on line. Can't wait to read it. Book 1 has been well used..so many drink stains you can hardly see the print.

Ha!
You know, I have been working out like crazy since March.
You couldn't tell yet at Hukilau... but now you can!
So I guess I will no longer be able to sumo-wrestle you and BK at Hukilau next year!

Sorry you're gonna miss the ATL event.

As always, order the book on-line at this link to get it right from me:

• James T.

http://www.tydirium.net
Big Stone Head / Tiki Road Trip / Left Orbit Temple

[ Edited by: tikibars 2007-09-13 09:03 ]

On 2007-09-05 22:49, tikibars wrote:
Tiki Road Trip: Milwaukee (9/22)

Just up the road in Milwaukee, James will be signing at the excellent Foundation bar on Saturday, September 22.

The Bikini Beachcombers and the Cocktail Preachers will be spinning tunes, and once again there will be vendors on hand to sell you even more Tiki swag for your own home lounge (you DO have one, don't you???).

Foundation: 2718 N. Breman, Milwaukee, WI (414) 374-2587

There's a street festival that day and I will be doing live carving right out front of Foundation most of the afternoon into the evening... until it gets too dark. Then I'm going inside to enjoy the Cocktail Preachers and drink Mai Tais.

I'll also be bringing a whole bunch of stuff along to sell. It should be fun keeping an eye on that and carving. :wink:

So come on up if you're not busy, hang out, have a Mai Tai watch me hack up logs!

T

CHICAGO: tonight is Tiki Terrace night!

Two-for-one zombies!
Barefoot Hawaiian dancers!
WCIU televison!
The whole local 'ohana (or most of it anyway) under one (grass) roof!

F

Man, if only you were in ATL a week later, We'll be up there for a wedding.

Tikis, fishhooks, masks, signs and TONS of tiki idols.

I'll have all these and more at Tiki Terrace tonight!

If you're looking for a tiki for your home or lounge... or you want to get an early start on your Christmas shopping for that someone tiki...

TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT!

No shipping! And you can enjoy a drink while you shop!

Hope to see you there!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-09-15 00:45 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 98 replies