Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 524 replies

Yeowch! I take back what I said. That is just WRONG!! :lol:

Tama

T

picture with green eyeshadow

On 2006-12-16 16:39, TikiPhil wrote:

A.) Tikis should not be painted like clowns

Like this?

That's right, THAT paint job on a wood carving would be awful. It's a different story with mugs. Mugs were OBVIOUSLY not "authentic" artifacts, never pretended to be. And Florian Gabriel told me how Crane was egging him on against his will to ad more color to the warrior mug.

When artifacts like the Steven Crane mug and the Tiki Bob mug are as inexorably embedded into the history of Tiki culture, using them as examples for un-Tiki is ignoring their context, like saying Don The Beachcomber was not Tiki, or such and such lounge would not have been Tiki once the Tikis would be removed. A moot point.

Like these mugs or not, their historic Polynesian pop context is a fact, but they stand for classic Tiki culture's aesthetic extremes, and as such are so unique that they are more exceptions than examples. To try to use them as license for a stylistic free-for-all would demonstrate what I mourned earlier in this thread: A lack of a basic ability to differentiate, and lack of an understanding of Tiki culture. (And yes, I am talking of MY understanding of Tiki culture, as I defined it.)

The basic color scheme of primitive art should still be one of the dark, brooding childhood of man, when mankind's crayons were limited. When Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily mounted their Anaheim Museum Tiki exhibit in the mid-90s, they made a Tiki coloring book for sale in the gift store for it, and it came with ONE crayon: The color BROWN.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2006-12-16 21:25 ]

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Dec 17, 2006 4:10 PM

That mug is actually pretty close in colour to the type of artifact it is based on:

https://tikicentral.com/uploads/5041/4585dc71.jpg

This is part of what I based my "art things" after, for the Tonga hut show last night.

Cool!

(then I added a bunch of other factors into the mix too)

Ok. back to the topic!

On 2006-12-17 16:10, Paipo wrote:
That mug is actually pretty close in colour to the type of artifact it is based on:

Very good observation! Which brings us full circle to Tama's post about the rarity and sanctitiy of RED in Polynesian culture (and still would be no licence to plaster prime colors all over wood carvings, of course!).

Wish I would have a Feather Face mug image handy to ad it to the context.

Wish I would have a Feather Face mug image handy to ad it to the context.

This one? (It's kingstiedye's Porcelanas Pavon Feather Face mug.)

Here are a couple of the more egregiously un-tiki Christmas gifts I received from well-meaning friends this year. The animated luau mask is particularly hideous, kind of like the Party Central version of Billy Bass.

I bet Granite Tiki could make that mask look ancient!

On 2006-12-30 10:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
I bet Granite Tiki could make that mask look ancient!

Just have him send me his snail-mail address and I'll ship it to him free of charge!

F
foamy posted on Sat, Dec 30, 2006 1:17 PM

Ah, I'm sure they meant well. I actively discourage non-tiki folks from buying me tiki things. To them all tiki is tacky and if it has an ugly or garish face on it, it must be tiki. It's very hard to educate people unless they have that, ah... sensibility, already. Not many do. And that's all right.

On 2006-12-30 13:17, foamy wrote:
Ah, I'm sure they meant well.

Oh, I know they did, and their taste in tiki is often right on the money. For my birthday, they gave me a beautiful ice bucket with a faux-bamboo handle and tongs, so I don't want to discourage them totally.

For what it's worth the feather face mug is patterned after a New Guinea yam harvest festival mask...Still not my favorite but from a legitamate Oceanic artifact.

On 2006-12-31 08:50, Basement Kahuna wrote:
For what it's worth the feather face mug is patterned after a New Guinea yam harvest festival mask...Still not my favorite but from a legitamate Oceanic artifact.

Far closer to home than that, BK, it is clearly based on this Cook collected Hawaiian feather image (which I had posted on e-bay when selling this mug through KON-ID):

...which shows us that some pieces, though seemingly quite UN-Tiki, can actually be VERY Tiki

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jan 1, 2007 10:28 PM

On 2007-01-01 15:53, bigbrotiki wrote:

...which shows us that some pieces, though seemingly quite UN-Tiki, can actually be VERY Tiki

and ugly.

H

I like both of those images specially the Hawaiian feather guy.And I wouldn't mind having the mug...sorry Grog!

Tikis always were "ugly", just as Polynesian Pop was always "cheesy". It is the leap of perception that made both cool. Some of us leap further, and some ...too far. :)

TS

Well, I seemed to have stumbled upon the latest and not-so-greatest idea of tiki.....How about a "Tiki Hat" folks? It's one step above wearing a bucket on your head! Now I know a bunch of you are closet bucketheads, so exit that closet, go onto ebay and look for the tiki hat!!! HAH, it looks like a kids sized halloween mask that went wrong!
employee-"Ahh Carumba! We made the molds too small for the halloween mask,boss!!"
Boss-"Thats ok Jose, we'll pass them off as adult hats!"

WTFWTT?

On 2007-03-29 13:41, Tom Slick wrote:
Well, I seemed to have stumbled upon the latest and not-so-greatest idea of tiki.....How about a "Tiki Hat" folks? It's one step above wearing a bucket on your head! Now I know a bunch of you are closet bucketheads, so exit that closet, go onto ebay and look for the tiki hat!!! HAH, it looks like a kids sized halloween mask that went wrong!
employee-"Ahh Carumba! We made the molds too small for the halloween mask,boss!!"
Boss-"Thats ok Jose, we'll pass them off as adult hats!"

WTFWTT?

Hey Tom,

My kids have that hat and they love it! Someone from APE ( the band) gave it to them a few years ago. I'll try to find pics to post with them using it.

The hat looks like the bucket that Marlon Brando wore on his head in the 1997 version of "The Island of Dr. Moreau"

Its Elvis.. in stone.... Pooping!

And finally, a mask to scare the shit out of anyone under ten.

[ Edited by: Important Looking Pirate 2007-04-06 13:16 ]

Anyone else seeing this?

8T

Uh huh huh. Huh huh...... Shut up Beavis.

yeah I thought the same thing when I saw it awhile back,

heh heh thats cool.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

G

On 2007-04-06 13:34, pappythesailor wrote:

Anyone else seeing this?

Well, hell. Am now.

On 2007-04-06 13:08, Important Looking Pirate wrote:

Its Elvis.. in stone.... Pooping!

And finally, a mask to scare the shit out of anyone under ten.

[ Edited by: Important Looking Pirate 2007-04-06 13:16 ]

OMG it is Elvis!

P

I've seen those masks at our local iParty......go figure.

FM

Prepare the barf bags!

I came across this fountain at my local Longs Drug Store the other day. It's amazingly heavy as well as amazingly ugly and I can't imagine who would want to buy it. I'm feeling queasy just looking at the photos again.

• SV

I

That is one bizarre looking tiki fountain. At first, I thought that he was snorting some cocaine. Don't bother with the water, just add a dollop of flour on the end of the bamboo, and lets see what the neighbors think.

Is that green unshaved stubble on his face?

its the Hacksaw Jim Dugan "Hawaiian Style" fountain

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2007-06-02 11:13 ]

N

Hello Kitty Maori!

source

That Maori Hello Kitty is just freaking WRONG!!!!!! OMG lolz

But the Beavis Tiki is COOL...heh heh heh heh

Another "gift from a well-meaning friend" . . .

Tiki bobblehead!

I got that King Luau fountain a while back at Longs....cause I thought it was sooooo goofy. At least if you get drunk at my house you will have something to laugh at. Tacky is an art you know...and I am really trying. :lol:

Vampiress, just wait a few years when that is referred to respectfully by future tikiphiles as "the rare and highly valued 'King Luau' fountain originally issued by Long's Drugs".

Who will be laughing then? :wink:

Yeah....ya never know which goofy or ugly looking item may be a rare sought-after collectible in the future. I haven't opened mine yet...maybe I should leave it in the original packaging so when I put it on eBay that will add another zero before the decimal place. :lol:

Saw this bamboo wind chime at the drug store today:

What's wrong with this picture? ....I wonder what other resin Tiki finery this summer will bring....

N

You'd think after charging $100 for a Pina Colada, Tom could afford some tikis for his tiki hut.

What the hell, I LOVE this thing -- Which Drug Store, BBT?

Gotta get one and customize it...! Oooo...

NON-TIKI, or not. Oooo...

SOK

V

Okey-doke,

I dunno if this post belongs in this thread - but I just got back from a trip to the "Windward Mall" in Kaneohe, Oahu to check out the new Boarders Books that opened yesterday. Lo and behold, when gazing across the mall I spied a new store called "Tiki Tiki"! Ms. VanTiki and I darted through a maze of kiosks and cell phone carts to check it out. Sigh. Here is a cell phone shot of the store:

yep - a couple of international marketplace-esque tikis and a ton of "Authentic Hawaiian" jewelry in the shape of fishhooks and the like. Also a bunch of Hawaiian weaponry - this is an interesting trend. Looks like this is now being produced in China in mass quantities, as I also saw a fellow selling shadow-box framed "Replica Hawaiian and Chinese antiquities" at Costco (of all places) last weekend. All are made of a koa-esque wood and the assembly and finish is terrible. Didn't get close enough to see if the shark teeth were real. I dunno why I was so bummed - I guess my hopes of an enchanted tiki room of 6 foot tikis reasonably priced were a tad far fetched :)

whats this 99.99-thing behind the fountain ?

On 2007-06-02 09:51, serious voodoo wrote:

looks like one of fountains Target had for awhile in their Mai Tiki collection:

And I quote:

"BUDWEISER CACTUS NEON Bar light. Works GREAT!.
Would add the perfect touch to your TIKI BAR"

(Seattle CraigsList post)

How about spreading some Aloha spirit with this!
Its called the Tiki Ti, you can see the name etched on the barrel

http://www.sviguns.com/tiki_pr.html

T

I've thought about buying that one.

P

Great for keeping behind the bar, so when that drunken deadbeat asks for "a couple of shots to finish off the evening!"...BLAM! BLAM! Job done! Who's next!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai...No.1 with a bullet!

8T

Invitations

OK, I swear I had nothing to do with these! I just work there.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 524 replies