Tahitiki's carvings - new bone carving - 01/08/11 - page 22

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 335 replies

G
GROG posted on Sat, Nov 1, 2008 9:40 AM

Good stuff. GROG like.

H
harro posted on Sat, Nov 1, 2008 10:23 AM

awesome leroy stool!

but I really dig the moai on the last page - any more pics??

Those legs are great!

Tahitiki, great homage to the Leroy Tiki.

The detail work on the back is beautiful, and I love the original idea of the legs also.

If you'd like I can PM you an easy way to do the cushion, a few extra steps involved, but it has always worked great for me.

Nice work!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2008-11-01 23:08 ]

B

Love the Leroy! Man,you Always come back around with the Neatest stuff then evaporate for a few months and come back with MORE, They are ALWAYS Worth the wait so Go if you must but I wish you'd hang around awhile. This guy is great as was the bodied Moai, What else you have on the burners?

PERFECT! Perfecto.
Love the detail on the back as well. Sometimes it's hard to come up with something good like that, when ya have a masterpiece on the other side!

T

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it!!
Lake, yeah send me that thing, i can always use some help, I have an idea on how to do it, the cushion is already sewed but I'm curious to see what you have. You can also post it here too.
Surfintiki, yep it was hard to come up with a design that would be good enough to stand on the back of it. Thanks
Ben, more on the burner fo sho, I'm just lazy posting and taking picts.
So this is what I have so far: I'm working on a small copy for "training" purpose of Picasso's Marquesan. Just trying to figure out the back side before I make a bigger one. It hasn't been easy so far but I think I'm getting there.
Let me know what you think.

NICE! Good idea on tiki choice. Looks perfect so far. DONT MESS IT UP! Just kidding. :D

T

The model is looking great so far. Did you find some good quality pics of the original?

T

Hey BigT, this is the only picts I found so far:
Thanks to Buzzy and Paipo

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29317&forum=7&hilite=picasso

Thanks for the pressure Surfintiki, I'll try to my best, hopefully after this one I'll have no excuse if I mess the bigger one.

H

Great start! Looks like the real deal.

B

WOW dude, Very nice pix of a very nice carve. I love it.

Benjamin.

Hi, long time no see... I've been working on a Marquesan fly-wisk handle, It's almost done.
I used a mini scalpel for some of the details. I just need to finish the sanding and stain it.

T

Here is an update on the Picasso Marquesan.
Sanding as I'm waiting for the picts to load.

S

WoW! Perfection! love your work.

I was wondering what ever happened to this guy. Very nice.

Looks great!

C

Hi Tahitiki I recently discovered your thread, you have a very neat style, it shows the care and the love you put on your work, very nice to watch your progresses, wish you have more time to spend on carving, but anyway, congrats!

T

Hey, seeksurf, congatiki, Davez_tikiz, Clarita maruru for all the good words, I've been doing some more progress so here are the picts:

L

VERY VERY NICE!!!If you continue to improve the one you risk being accused of stealing from a museum!! :lol:
In what kind of wood is it? One more time :very good work!

J.

B

EXCELLENT Carve Tahiki, I am Really Happy to see the Ears on this guy, mostly these guys are left Deaf! The detail is Perfect and precise, Very well done and he's not even Done yet.

K

That thing is amazing. Great work as always.

wow! he's really beautiful and your fly whisk is pretty amazing as well. great job.

bd

JT

Really Nice stuff, Tahitiki.
I dig it.

• Johnny B.
T

Wow, these are really great. I need to check out the carving post more often, there are a lot of great carvers on here.. Such talent on both the large carvings and the small!

V

Wow!! I'm just completely blown away!! Awesome carvings man!! I've often thought how i'd like to carve a version of Picasso's tiki, and your's is ... badass! Lots of really nice work!

[ Edited by: VonTiki 2009-03-25 11:43 ]

T

Thanks laojia,Benzart,KAHAKA, big daddy, jab tiki and VonTiki, as usual your comment maters a lot, it's nice to get some feedback, especially when I know how talented you guys are.
laojia, yes I've been thinking that it would be a great exercise to start copying some of my favorite museum pieces and I wouldn't mind owning some of these anyway so... it's all good dude.
Ok, voila I've cleaned up the little Ku that I've done a while back:

Before:

After:

B

Hi Tahitiki, this Ku looks perfect with a really small size. I'm sure you stopped breathing a lot especially when you drilled between the body and the headress, it's spectacular.

Bravo,

Benjamin.

I fully agree with Benjamin...

Spectacular work! :o

BD

man o man is he great. i'll join the chorus as well and sing your praise. spectacular.

bd

WOW, Excelent stuff

S

Outstanding!

B

Man, What a Clean-up job, you made a great tiki even Better, Incredible piece.

Man! Really NICE work there T! Did I miss where you might of mentioned what kind of wood that is on the Ku?
Exquisite!

T

Wow, super sweet! Great detail work!

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Apr 2, 2009 8:00 PM

I agree with the rest, that's one smokin' lil' Tiki!
The wood does look a lot like palm, but it's rattan you say?
I gotta try some of that.

Bowie

T

benella, yes it was a bit intense to carve, especially the back and the legs.

surfintiki, yeah, the wood I used for the small KU is rattan from some leftover furniture I bought.

quote---------------
I don't know if any of you have carved some Rattan before but it's just like a miniature palm wood, it has the same qualities and defaults. It's also a very easy wood to carve. You guys should try it.

Lake Surfer, big daddy, Grapa-RuHa, seeksurf, Benzart, Bowana, surfintiki and benella, maruru for all the good praises, very appreciated.

Soon I'll post some picts of the full the Ku so you guys can see the rattan piece uncarved, and I'll add one of the tools I used to do the clean up to.

Haere Maru

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2009-04-03 08:01 ]

Museum quality Mr. Tahitiki.
How come we haven't met you at any Nor Cali events? Stop being shy, come on out and play.

I'll be in your neck of da woods tomorrow, San Jose State University to be exact. Any recommendations for lunch?

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2009-04-03 19:45 ]

T

Hey Jungle, you should try this: http://www.dahukilau.com/sanjose
they usually have music on Saturday too, poke, adobo, spam musubi, bbq short ribs and a Mai tai or a Hinano.
Have Fun!!
Hook me up on the NorCal events anytime.

Hey thanks Tahitiki. I'll try to make it to Japantown tomorrow.

As for NorCali events, there's the official TC San Francisco event coming up in July. Scroll down your "Tiki Events" and you'll find it. Sorry, the url was so long or I'd jus post it.

Here is my last one. I picked up a $2 curly maple candle holder at the thrift store... et voila

L

Good deal, and yet some material for yet nice carve! Post pics when this famous ku has finished...

B

Boy, Another beautiful tiki in the works, that Curly Maple wood is Awesome. I really love his eyes,and eyebrows, you have the Touch! How are you gonna finish him off? Also I see 3 more tikis there?

T

Thanks laojia and Ben, yes, 3 more to go, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the other pieces, maybe some pendants. The wood it really pretty, I might just oil it this time (I was thinking Teac oil). It's a bit tricky to carve because of all the miniature knots, but it sands very nice. It's weird for it kind of smells like a wine cork when sanded.

B

Hi dude,

Amazing what you did with that maple candle holder.
I think teak oil is definately the right choice.
Bravo !

Benjamin.

Message edited to add the word "holder" !

[ Edited by: benella 2009-04-29 00:16 ]

Dude You have some of the nicest technical carving that I have ever seen! Keep up the great work and happy carving.

whoah! That curly maple looks HARD to carve...but sweet looking!
How big is that piece?

T

surfintiki, the little Ku is about 5" tall
Thanks Benella and Tikilizard for the kudo's/

So here are some updates, I finished the little Ku, I would like to stain the outside darker to give it more volume.
In the meantime I started another Ku that I sketched a while back, made a bunch of mistakes along the way, unfortunately it's not as good as the sketch but I'm still happy with it... got to keep trying. It's about 14", and from the density of the wood I think it might have be Eucalyptus.

so the little Ku first:

Some progress shots of the bigger one:

and then the almost finished tiki (sanding and more sanding...):

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 335 replies