Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

Geez Buzz, it's stunning, and it's not even done!

this drum looks amazing, love the landscape carving you went with!!!

M

Simply beautiful sir.

My favoritwe drum to date! What is the dark spot on the palm leaf? Palm wood doesn't knots does it?

I missed the sunset tonight, so here's a picture of a street musician in Ensenada instead:

For today's work, I moved to the bottom of the drum. I carved the details on the three leg tikis:

Carve a tiki x3

there were a lot of challenging areas to get through on this

That's probably why I put it off for so long...

Full view logo side:

Full view tiki Aframe side

Full view FDiamondhad through the trees view

I actually surprised myself that I pulled that part off

On 2010-11-21 01:55, swizzle wrote:
Are you going to stain it just one colour or have you thought about staining/painting the detail in different colours to make it stand out even more?

thanks Swizle. I don;t quite know yet. I just want to get through sanding it before I worry about that. I'm inclined to think that a few colors of stain might be kind of cool.

On 2010-11-21 07:22, congatiki wrote:
Nice to have you back troublemaker.
The new drum is outasite!

Thanks Conga, I really this old place. And to think that carving's going to make some noise too...!

On 2010-11-21 07:37, Kino wrote:
That new drum is crazy sweet !
And inspiring .

Thanks Kino. have at one! It's just a hollow log with a little piece carved out here and there. :wink:

On 2010-11-21 07:41, 4WDtiki wrote:
Geez Buzz, it's stunning, and it's not even done!

This is another one I'll miss. Someday I'm going to get a job so i can buy something cool like a tiki drum. I'll just need to find someone to make one for me...and a job...

On 2010-11-21 12:24, Tahitiki wrote:
this drum looks amazing, love the landscape carving you went with!!!

I was asked to do something with an aframe, tikis, torches, and palm trees. So, my original flash of inspiration came from this akuaku menu cover I found on arkivatropika:

then I added or substituted afew elements from these menus as well:

On 2010-11-21 17:04, McTiki wrote:
Simply beautiful sir.

As`my guitar playing friend from the sidewalks of Mexico would say, "Gracias amigo!"

On 2010-11-21 17:30, MadDogMike wrote:
What is the dark spot on the palm leaf? Palm wood doesn't knots does it?

that would be where the guy who climbed up the tree put his climbing spike in as he climbed up it. It leaves a scar. They don't go too deep, and you can usually carve around them.
Which brings the dilema:
Do you look for clean logs with holes and scars up and down them or do you want dirty logs full of fronds that are without all the scars?
I'd take clean logs every time...

I just hit 400,000 views today. thanks for looking, I'll keep chugging along.
Buzzy Out!

Congrats Buzzee'! You've carved SO many tikis...how are all your joints and tendons and such, holding up???!!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 23, 2010 8:20 PM

Holy Shizzz! WOW! That's Nutz!

P

you're a very talented, dedicated and passionate man.

cheers

i'm simply amazed.

That drum is fantastic. You've damn near outdone yourself.

FUDGE!
That is one awesome drum there Buzzy!
how are you gonna top that one?

WOW, Buzzy. That is amazing.
Well flippin' done!
Will catch up with you sooner or later!
(leave it outside your doorstep, Mr. AmVet!) :wink:

Today's sunset:

I have a few days of sanding to do now. To break the monotony of that process, I started prepping one of these big guys for my next project:

Draw knife, ready to go:

Slash and it's clean:

It's going to be a tiki.

On 2010-11-24 09:50, Tiki Joe's Pop wrote:
WOW, Buzzy. That is amazing.

I know, but that's Mexico for you. Since you liked that picture so much, here's another from our sunny neighbors to the south...

This was taken at a restaurant just after sunrise just a little north of La Paz:

Floating on the top somewhere in there was my breakfast. You could look through the restaurant/house and see the piggies running around in the back yard.

On 2010-11-24 07:56, little lost tiki wrote:
FUDGE!
That is one awesome drum there Buzzy!
how are you gonna top that one?

I have no idea, I ran out of new ideas a few drums ago...
...Little help here people.

Please?

On 2010-11-24 05:52, Matt Reese wrote:
That drum is fantastic. You've damn near outdone yourself.

thanks Matt. i think the only way to top it would be to turn something like this into a drum:

On 2010-11-23 23:55, pdrake wrote:
you're a very talented, dedicated and passionate man.
cheers
i'm simply amazed.

thanks Drake. This one's going to be hard to say goodbye to...

On 2010-11-23 20:20, GMAN wrote:
Holy Shizzz! WOW! That's Nutz!

thanks G! So what's in the jukebox today?

Happy Thankksgiving!
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-11-25 00:12 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, Nov 25, 2010 12:18 AM

Send drum to GROG.

that drum is way rad buzzy! they just keep getting better

I've loved watching this one develop Buzzy. I thought the detail was killer when you carved the tiki support legs, then you had to go and one up yourself on the triangles and such. As if that wasn't enough, you whip out this great type on the side of the drum. Not one to stop there, you've gone and slammed this one out of park by carving all this great relief work on the side, and researched the material for it.

Whew.

Makes me tired just typing it all.

Lot's of passion in this piece, and you keep setting new milestones everytime you touch chisel to palm.

Beautiful work Buzzy, one to be proud of for sure!

A recent sunset:

Unless it rains,they all look like this

Sanding, sanding, sanding....
These two are all sanded now. Just waiting for #3 so I can finish them all together

I've also made substantial progress on sanding the drum. Today should be a good day for me to get both of them a lot more done.

On 2010-11-25 00:18, GROG wrote:
Send drum to GROG.

Your drum is in Colorado. You'll have to go get it yourself.

On 2010-11-25 21:44, tikithomas08 wrote:
that drum is way rad buzzy! they just keep getting better

Thanks Thomas. Hope I'm not peaking here...

On 2010-11-26 11:04, Lake Surfer wrote:
Whew.
Lot's of passion in this piece, and you keep setting new milestones everytime you touch chisel to palm.
Beautiful work Buzzy, one to be proud of for sure!

Thanks Lake. Every once in while I need to prove "something" to myself in a piece. This is one of those test pieces. A chance to check my current skills and push the edge of the palm medium. Sometimes I look at stuff I'm working on/made and can't believe I actually did it. It feels like I disappear for a couple days, and when I come to, there's this piece of work sitting here in front of me. It's almost the the cobbler and his magic elves. In this case, no magic elves, just a schitzo cobbler.

A sanding I will go...
Buzzy Out!

T

Draw knife on those new logs?? What happened to the electric planer?

T

Oh damn, I just saw the finished carving on your last drum! What's to say? Amazing, one-of-a-kind work. Kudos to you Buzz.

I imagine the amount of time of you spend on these has been going waaaaay up?

Sunset:

Sun's in that prime bay in the view position now

Three donkeys on the side of the road in Mexico:

Ole!

I got the third cannibal all sanded up:

I missed a picture of the next step, but they were all dark like the guy on the right:

After a little more cleanup and some tone adjustment, I got them where I wanted. This picture has them looking a bit lighter than they actually are:

I like the rugged and dirty look of these. Cannibals shouldn't be pretty. I was going for a dirty and oily telephone pole look, and i got pretty close. Some finishing oil and these guys are out of here

Sanding, sanding, sanding...I finally hit that point where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel on this one:

Major sanding now all done, finish sanding to go...

Questions, two for Tuesday edition:

On 2010-11-30 08:29, TheBigT wrote:
Draw knife on those new logs?? What happened to the electric planer?

I use both. When the draw knife works, it's faster than the planer for that first cleaning step. I use the planer after the drawknife on the last 1/8" or so to get it all nice and clean.

On 2010-11-30 08:32, TheBigT wrote:
I imagine the amount of time of you spend on these has been going waaaaay up?

It's not the time that I have been working on it that's so much longer, but the time in between when I;ve been working on it that's been so long. It's probably just a bit of time over what I spent on the Caliente drum.

Buzzy Out!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 1, 2010 5:04 AM

Petshop Boys and Howard Jones

G
GROG posted on Wed, Dec 1, 2010 9:56 AM

M

On 2010-12-01 09:56, GROG wrote:

Awesomeness!

Today's sunset:

Finishing time around here...

Here's the Taiaha just about done

And the Wang Tang Tiki cane:

And the Cannibal trio...
Even though it looks light after it was sanded, the finish made it dark again:

All three, first fresh coat on:

Next day when dry:

And right after the second coat.

I'm so close to being done sanding the drum, that I'm giddy in anticipation.

On 2010-12-01 05:04, GMAN wrote:
Petshop Boys and Howard Jones

Nice playlist! Don't forget Morrissey, Kate Bush, and Alison Moyet. :P

Buzzy Out!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Dec 3, 2010 4:56 AM

Roger, Simple Minds, Thompson Twins, Aha, all there.....and with a little "Rock Lobster"........

That Tang is excellent.

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Dec 3, 2010 7:00 AM

Foo Fighters!

Awesome Kane!

B

One day all your stuff will be gathered up and placed in a Tiki Museum.
Awesome stuff Buzz!

Today's sunset:

New Tiki Update:

I was sitting around the house on Friday, and I got a call to do a quick tiki. I got right to it, and started after they sent me the source picture for what I would carve. Luckily, when the picture came, it was of a Cannobal totem. Fresh on my mind, I knew I could carve them before the impossibly short deadline. It also seemed like a good challenge...

Here's the recap of the last few days:

Picture arrive and I draw out the design on the log. I'll have to go real late, so I bring it inside from the onset:

Chip, chip, chip, and at the end of the first day, it's mostly blocked out

First day sunset:

The tiki will hide a pole, so I have to hollow it out to fit around the pole. day two started with that.
I lined out a wedge on the log

I first want to cut out the v with two easy chainsaw cuts(har har har) and then clean out the boxes

Wedge cuts are what I call blind cuts, so I under cut them, and then check them for depth, and recut. I use a screwdriver to measure how deep I need to go

This shows me how much deeper I need to cut:

After I get the wedge out, I hollow the log and arc the back piece to fit the pipe

here it is with the back on:

By eye it looked right, but to be sure I tested it by making a log the same diameter as the pipe and tried to see if it would fit through the whole tiki

I left wiggle room in case the actual pipe is bigger

Now the two pieces rejoined:

I wanted to block out the third guy that night, but I was too tired from the day's work to do anymore. So here's the day two sunset:

Next day I blocked out the third tiki and hit the whole thing with a disc sander before doing the details

Then i carved the two big faces:

and the two small faces,

and called it a night.

Today, I carved the third tiki head, and started sanding it

Tonight's plan: Finish sand.

On 2010-12-06 03:32, Benzart wrote:

Until then, they'll just clutter up select home tiki bars and yards.

On 2010-12-03 07:00, McTiki wrote:
Foo Fighters!
Awesome Kane!

Thanks McT!

On 2010-12-03 06:45, AlohaStation wrote:
That Tang is excellent.

I hope I still have it when I'm an old man so that I can use it.

On 2010-12-03 04:56, GMAN wrote:
Roger, Simple Minds, Thompson Twins, Aha, all there.....and with a little "Rock Lobster"........

KajaGooGoo? Duran Duran?

I'm a big fan of Lionel Ritche, myself.
All night long, all night,...
Buzzy Out!

awesome pole tiki!!! we missed you this weekend.

Buzz I like the pictures of the sunset to frame the day's work, reminds me of the Genesis account of creation; "... And the evening and the morning were the second day."

Great work Buzz, how's the drum coming along?

First coat of stain on:

I pyt a darker stain under the first coat in the recessed areas. You can barely see the tone difference in these close ups

One more coat should do it. Now it's the hurry up and wait process of staining and sealing...

On 2010-12-06 21:19, MadDogMike wrote:

Great work Buzz, how's the drum coming along?

If every muscle in my upper body wasn't screaming in pain from work overload right now, I'd be sanding it this very second...
I'm hung up on sanding all the small details on the relief part. My right thumb got kind of numb for a couple days after hand sanding so much it with emory boards. Last week Home Depot was out of the sandpaper I needed to sand the other parts with , but I just got some yesterday, so I should be back on it tomorrow. I really only have a couple more hours on it at this point. It's just that those last hours are the most physically taxing. Today I need to clean up the mess around here before I even think about doing a thing...

On 2010-12-06 20:35, RevBambooBen wrote:
awesome pole tiki!!! we missed you this weekend.

I was thinking of you guys too, in an envious type of way, of course...Oh well, WTH, Frankie's will have an anniversary next year...

Buzzy Out!

On 2010-12-06 03:32, Benzart wrote:

Until then, they'll just clutter up select home tiki bars and yards.

Buzzy.......
As the holder of a number of Buzzy originals......i consider myself a curator of sorts,
Protecting and highlighting a portion of your work.....Tiki Museum be damned ......unless they have a Tiki bar...
and i get lifetime free drinks for donating...............Great work on the new Pole

homo depot is ripping you off blind!

go here instead!

http://klingspor.com/products/default.htm

Vegas for newyears, Buzzy. Open invite. Check the "other events" topic.

On 2010-12-08 19:43, RevBambooBen wrote:

go here instead!

Ben, is there a local dealer for klingspor? Their site says they only do wholesale.

Sorry for hijack, Buzz.

On 2010-12-09 10:22, 4WDtiki wrote:
Ben, is there a local dealer for klingspor? Their site says they only do wholesale.

Sorry for hijack, Buzz.

No problemo! they stock it at Rockler.

Buzzy Out!

Thanks man. All I really am interested in is the grinding discs, they list a 16 grit. HD only goes to 24. :(

Sunset:

Finishing up the Cannibal totem now. I made a small base for it to sit on today:

It's tall. Here's a tiki mug next to it so you can get a sense of its size:

Looks neat when you're standing in front of it looking up at it.

On 2010-12-09 12:10, 4WDtiki wrote:
Thanks man. All I really am interested in is the grinding discs, they list a 16 grit. HD only goes to 24. :(

I don;t remember seeing those there. They seemed to have paper for sale in the single sheet format only. I usually use the honing set of paper that they have there for sharpening my tools.

On 2010-12-07 18:31, closettiki wrote:

Buzzy.......
As the holder of a number of Buzzy originals......i consider myself a curator of sorts,
Protecting and highlighting a portion of your work.....Tiki Museum be damned ......unless they have a Tiki bar...
and i get lifetime free drinks for donating...............Great work on the new Pole

I'll keep trying to elevate my status and reputation so that you can open a Buzzy museum. Cash in on that greart collection you have...

On 2010-12-08 19:43, RevBambooBen wrote:

go here instead!

I was looking for mouse sander ones. HD has them about $5.24 for 5. Ace has them for $6.40 for only 4...

On 2010-12-09 06:30, Billy the Crud wrote:
Vegas for newyears, Buzzy. Open invite. Check the "other events" topic.

Thanks Billy, but you know how I have an aversion to leaving the house.

Buzzy Out!

WOW!

Buzz, did you catch any of this action? A quarter moon trapped in a web of sunset colors tonight.

Where's the finished drum???!!!

sleeping?

everyone loved your tiki.

No rest for the wicked!

Sunset:

On 2010-12-13 16:18, RevBambooBen wrote:
sleeping?
No rest for the wicked!

everyone loved your tiki.

First off, I don't sleep. I PASS OUT! And, no rest for the wicked indeed...

Here's what's keeping me from sweet slumber at this exact moment:

The production department fell a little behind over the weekend so I'm helping them to catch up with the mail order branch of my tiki corporation. We all work for the same the same team, here at the factory.

And they loved the tiki! Great! Too bad I was there before you hooked up all the pretty lights because all I saw of it was this last night:

Nice silhouette

On 2010-12-11 21:12, MadDogMike wrote:
Buzz, did you catch any of this action? A quarter moon trapped in a web of sunset colors tonight.

I live so far away from where you are that I can't see the moon this time of year with the naked eye.

On 2010-12-09 22:59, Tiki Joe's Pop wrote:
WOW!

Thanks Steve! Hope you enjoyed the weather here last weekend.

And tonight, I get to go out and decorate for the Hometown Buffett Xmas party. Free food for a year!
Buzzy Out!

T

Killer job on the pole cover Buzzy. The lights in the background are awesome too. Who made those?

that is so cool keep up the good work

B

Typical AWESOME looking Bar Ben, Excellent Pole cover too Buzz.

A couple sunsets from before it got rainy:

Tiki update:

The rain came at a good time, because I had to stay inside and sand sand away on the forever in progress drum. I finally got the whole exterior sanded and was ready to move on to the final hollowing and forming the rim.
It was raining when I hollowed it, so i had to keep it at the edge of the garage while I worked

Here it was when I started:

And then when done:

A few hours elapsed between those two pictures...

Next step was the rim. tapering the outside edge:

And then the inside edge:

A little touch up sanding and then, finally, stain time.

On 2010-12-16 16:56, RevBambooBen wrote:

That....looks....AWESOME!

On 2010-12-17 06:58, TheBigT wrote:
Killer job on the pole cover Buzzy. The lights in the background are awesome too. Who made those?

I believe everything but the tiki was done by Mr. Ben. Those poinsettias might have been someone else too...but that's just a guess.

On 2010-12-18 14:10, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
that is so cool keep up the good work

thanks Marcus!

On 2010-12-18 14:17, Benzart wrote:
Typical AWESOME looking Bar Ben, Excellent Pole cover too Buzz.

I was asking myself: What letter is the most tiki?

"B" was the first thing that came to mind.

Buzzy Out!

K

WOW... where dis at?? Tiki and the whole thing came out really nice like.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies