Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4,146 replies

Today's sunset:

Typical boring one for this time of year. I didn't even bother to wait until it hit the horizon. Working that extra hour since daylight savings time is real nice. The days keep getting a little longer too!

First up is some old business:

Here are some nicer pictures that I took of my batch of clay work that came out of the last firing at Babalu's

First, is the Lucky O'Buzzy's Irish Tiki Pub St patrick's Day Luau Chugger mug

[Which just so happens to be available on ebay right now!

Click here for the link](http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170309634869)

Next up is Maori Mini Scorpion style Sippy Cup II

Some Hei tikis

This one was my favorite

This one turned out pretty good too

Two more pendants:

Cool glaze on this one

And finally, a little army of guys

Group shots, just for fun:

Most of this stuff will be available on Buzzy Night at the Tonga Hut Art show next month
[Tonga Hut Art Show

Click here for info](http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=31540&forum=17&start=0)

Now on to my current work...

I started another piece today

First I cleaned a stump:

then I made a 90 degree cut and a couple other critical slices:

And I had a chair!:

Now I had to start to make it a nice chair

I narrowed the top, cleaned up the back part and made it a bit more comfortable

Next was making the chair/drum leg parts by making the necessary cuts:

Front:

sides:

I ran out of day at this point. More fancy it up a little work tomorrow!

On 2009-03-11 15:00, Lake Surfer wrote:

I think I know where it is headed to if I am taking Ben's clue the right way... it will find a great home there.

Yo Lake! Yep, you're probably right...I was trying to pretend like it was a super secret project that I couldn't talk about. I always wanted one of those type of jobs.

Sssssh! I'm almost done...
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2009-03-12 21:49 ]

damn buzzy,
how many people you got working for you? or did you just hire martha stewart to do everything while you sit back and sip a nice refreshing adult beverage of choice? the sippy cup is pretty cool and that chair looks like it's gonna be reeeaaal comfy to sit back in and watch the sun go down. i really need to go electric cuz these chisels are wearing out my hands and arms. great stuff buzzy.

bd

L

On 2009-03-12 22:24, big daddy wrote:
damn buzzy,
how many people you got working for you?

You did not know Buzz was the "stakanovist" of tikis! :lol:

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Mar 13, 2009 7:04 AM

"or did you just hire martha stewart to do everything while you sit back and sip a nice refreshing adult beverage of choice?

Yes.

B

Damn Buzz, Your ceramics are Really getting Cool, I Really Love your favorite Hei-Tiki the best but the rest are excellent too. Glad to see you not slowing down!

J

Hi Buzzy! I'm so excited that I'll be sitting in at least one of your chairs at Frankie's just nine days from now! I'll be sure to get a pic or two! Can't wait to see you in August! Things will be different this time, and I'll have my car, so I'll want that long-awaited tour of the House of Buzz!

Today's sunset:

Today I worked on the chair that I started yesterday

I began by cleaning up the legs and started to do the drum/seat part

Then i carved a tiki into one of the legs...

and later carved a matching one on the other leg

After that, I decorated the band around the middle and cleaned up the drum/seat part

Before I ran out of day, I squeezed in one more tiki on the drum

Just a little bit more to do now...

On 2009-03-12 22:24, big daddy wrote:
damn buzzy,
how many people you got working for you? i really need to go electric cuz these chisels are wearing out my hands and arms. great stuff buzzy.

I used to have a full crew but they all quit when they found out that unemployment paid them better. Funny you should say that after I'm still exhausted and in pain from holding a heavy chainsaw most of the day yesterday. The noise wears out my ears too.

On 2009-03-12 22:54, laojia wrote:

You did not know Buzz was the "stakanovist" of tikis! :lol:

Thanks for bringing that Stakanovist history lesson to my attention. I definitely see how I could be compared to him. Neat story. Now my comrades, Make a lot of tikis like me and become a national hero.

On 2009-03-13 07:04, Cammo wrote:

I need to get one of those House of Buzz personalized orange work suits. It should be the new outfit of the new tiki stakanovist movement.

On 2009-03-13 08:36, Benzart wrote:
Glad to see you not slowing down!

I had to slow down for a couple days last week because I hurt myself in a glaze jar opening episode, but I thinki I'm fully recovered now. Damn clay glaze! That clay is dangerous!

On 2009-03-13 10:46, JenTiki wrote:
Can't wait to see you in August! Things will be different this time, and I'll have my car, so I'll want that long-awaited tour of the House of Buzz!

Hey Jen! Great to hear from you again. Me and Kiva are looking forward to your visit.

She'll give you the tour. It's going to be fun! Only five more months!

At the House of Buzz, You don't wipe your feet before you come in, you do it before you leave.
Buzzy Out!

see you weekend after next...

I missed yesterday's sunset by a couple seconds:

I was concentrating on carving when it snuck by me

I awoke yesterday fully intending on finishing the first of the two chairs by darktime. Here is my documentary of my attempt of completing my goal:

I started out picking up where I left off the evening before. I carved the two panels on the sides of the seat/drum part.

I wanted to emphasize more rounded than linear designs on this chair

The front was now finshed and it was time to move on to the back. I started this process by drawing out a rough sketch on paper and then redrawing it out correctly on the log. I messed up a lot more than I planned and it took about an hour to draw it out. That put me seriously behind and put my finishing that day goal in jeopardy.
Here he is all drawn out:

At this point I had about three hours left. that meant I had to bust some ass to get it done

Meanwhile, Pat was over working on his newest tiki:

Close up carving action:

Yesterday's tutorial included a talk about how at times the ancients are looking over the shoulders of today's tiki carvers(in select cases), making sure the carver is showing proper respect and diligence in his tributes. To help him understand this concept fully, I had the big guy looking over his shoulder to catch anything I missed:

Here is where Pat finished his day of work:

After the chair back was drawn, Pat looked at it a didn't think I could get it done by the end of the day. I set out to prove him wrong. I channeled the Stakanovist work ethic and carved on for the pride of my country! Follow me now comrades as I work with speed and pride!

To optimize my carving, I had to have the most functional and efficient workspace possible. Let's tour the work environment now

I leaned the chair against the low deck I have adjacent to my workspace. It's too big to carve comfortably on the table or sawhors, so on the ground it stays:

I have the rough sketch and my most used tools in close reach:

The rest of my tools are within arms length away at all times:

When I carve the face, I sit on the log horsey riding style, and when I carve the body, I sit on the milkcrate pictued

Close to my other hand are other often used items. Here we see my sander, sandpaper, and stencils all close by

Last, I have my straight edges, rulers, and sharpening stuff:

The key is to have everything you need right there. Helps to keep up the momentum and stay in the "carving zone" mentally.

Here's the tiki pretty much roughed out with about an hour or so left in the day:

I was confident I could get it done by my goal at this point.

A little more work and it was pretty close to being finished. Sun was down, but there was still light...

A final surge and it was done! In time!

I like how the band of the drum merges with the tiki arm:

Here's the first chair next to the table, with a couple mugs for scale

I'm liking the way they look together!

From a different view:

One more chair to go! Starting it today, in fact.

On 2009-03-13 22:51, RevBambooBen wrote:
see you weekend after next...

Yep...

Buzzy Out!

AWESOME!

MOST EXCELLENT on the chair table set BUZZBOY!

Today's sunset:

Chair #2 day:

It started with this big, fat, ugly, heavy, and dirty log I picked up yesterday:

First step was taking the fronds off with the draw knife and squaring the ends, leaving just a couple extra inches of wiggle room

After that, I cut out the seat and back part

Before I drug it back into my work area, I took the rest of the stringy bark off of it

Here it is, back in the work area and totally cleaned and ready to go, next to the other one

Next, I sized it down, shaped the back rest part,and rough cut out the legs

Last thing i did before the day quit on me was to start on the seat/drum part

It's not as exciting as the other one yet, but it will get there

On 2009-03-16 06:38, RevBambooBen wrote:
AWESOME!

And it's all only going to get better!

On 2009-03-16 08:05, little lost tiki wrote:
MOST EXCELLENT on the chair table set BUZZBOY!

Thanks LLT! More to come...

Something different: I'm going to work on a chair tomorrow.
Buzzy Out!

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Mar 17, 2009 5:22 PM

Why does Kiva always look so unimpressed?!

She always has an "I've seen it all, I'm Dame Kiva, Matron of the Arts" smirk on her little doggie face!

T

Awesome chairs, I can't get over how fast you are.

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2009-03-19 06:33 ]

C

"Awesome chairs, I can get over how fast you are."

He means he CAN'T get over how fast you are.

I think...

they need a racing stripe/s somewhere on em.

Sweet seat!

Just a head's up Buzzy, caught this sunrise this morning at my place and it's heading your way - should set at your place about 6:59 this evening.

PS- Cammo, good to see you're still alive :)

On 2009-03-18 13:47, MadDogMike wrote:
Just a head's up Buzzy, caught this sunrise this morning at my place and it's heading your way - should set at your place about 6:59 this evening.

I don't know MaddogMike, looks like the fog may mess things up out here...

A couple hours ago:

Now:

I saw the sunrise today when I was doing my morning workout.
Buzzy Out!

Today's sunset:

Lookout Maddog, here comes THE FOG!

Here's yesterday's

Now the balance has been maintained.

I was super duper tired yesterday from fighting the big fat ugly log the day before, so I got a moinimal amount of work done on it. Here it was at the start of today:

I started out today by drawing up the legs:

Then I carved the legs

Next I did the center of the drum/seat part

Finally, I did the side panels on the drum/seat:

Next, and final step, will be the big tiki on the back.

On 2009-03-17 17:22, Cammo wrote:
Why does Kiva always look so unimpressed?!

Kiva don't care about anything, and she's seen it all too!

On 2009-03-17 18:47, Tahitiki wrote:
Awesome chairs, I can't get over how fast you are.

I'm not fast. Everyone else is just slow. Real slow...

On 2009-03-18 08:33, RevBambooBen wrote:
they need a racing stripe/s somewhere on em.

I can definitely do that! Ford logo too?

On 2009-03-18 13:47, MadDogMike wrote:
PS- Cammo, good to see you're still alive :)

Here's the Cammo's still alive update:

Cammo came over today to work on his mask

Here he shows that he spends more time on the back of a tiki than most people spend on the front

Cammo shows off the other side:

He's almost done.

I'm almost done too.

I'm done now.
Buzzy Out!

So that white stuff is fog? We don't get any of that here.

Tell Cammo I said hello :)

Shelby Cobra .....

nice mask Cammo!

Nice sunset,Buzz!

C

What a cool chair, I love the design! And I'm happy to see Cammo is still alive and wasn't eaten by the savage hogs :)

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Mar 19, 2009 6:42 PM

I think Buzzy wants me to finish so I won't come over anymore and drink his XL Sapporo beers and watch that show where three guys judge girls in bikinis.

Today's sunset:

I worked on the back of the chair today. Here it is with a little bit drawn out

Little bit of work done

working my way down the tiki

Close to being finished

Pretty much done:

Here are the two together:

A little sanding and staining and I'm done.

On 2009-03-18 22:05, MadDogMike wrote:

Tell Cammo I said hello :)

Cammo: Mike said "Hello"

On 2009-03-18 23:24, RevBambooBen wrote:
Shelby Cobra .....

On 2009-03-19 08:59, little lost tiki wrote:
nice mask Cammo!

Cammo: LLt said "Nice Mask."

On 2009-03-19 11:15, Clarita wrote:
And I'm happy to see Cammo is still alive and wasn't eaten by the savage hogs :)

He's now in danger of being lost to the wilds of my yard!

On 2009-03-19 18:42, Cammo wrote:
I think Buzzy wants me to finish so I won't come over anymore and drink his XL Sapporo beers and watch that show where three guys judge girls in bikinis.

That show just so happens to come on when I break for lunch. I really do not plan it that way.

Buzzy Out!

L

Nice chair , yet better one time sanding :P ...How is what they weigh?
as promised the photos I could take advantage of the documentation of the museum:

tatooed warriors, Nouka Hiva, engraving 1836

war club and necklace, engraving 1836

from Nouka Hiva, engraving 1846

weapons and ornaments,engraving 1778

Men from Nouka Hiva, engraving 1812

Marquisian warriors, drawing 1880

old marquisians in war dress, between 1906 and 1921

marquisians with tiki, 1867 or 1869

I hope the images quality you agree...
Have a nice day

J.

B

Laojia, Excellent photos, you should start a thread with only your museum photos so they will all be together. Thanks for posting them.

Cammo, WAY Excellent mask, the carving is very Unique and well done. Hollowing out the back is Definitely one of my passions and I am HAPPY to se you doing it here..

Oh Yeah, BUZZY, The Buzz Master, soon to be crowned the Chair Master,

Tiki Master,

and Drum Master- - - Everyone beats Your drums :o .

What else? Sunset Master,

Journal master,(see whole thread!)

ceramix master (no capitals!)ummmm,

my fav too

Oh, Yeah, Entertainment Master?

thats enough for now, I'll remember some more later!

When are you gonna quit playing around and get something done? :lol:

as usual buzzy the stuff looks great. i would love to be your coffee supplier for the amount of work you get done. the view is just great. sure beats the view of the house next door to me.

bd

Hi Buzzy-
It was great to see you last night at the Tikiyaki flea market!! Those drums are fan-freakin-tastic !! They look and sound really good in person. I hope to see again soon!! Summer is almost here!! Yeah

JT

Hey, Buzz,
The Chair-Tiki-Table Set is looking Very Nice!!
Maybe a Thu. Chop??
-Johnny

Over the weekend, I went to the Tikiyaki Orchestra Lodge show and swap meet to peddle my wares. Here's a shot of me in my vending area:

Best part was that I met a bunch of famous Tiki people, like these guys:

Good times indeed!

I rested and caught up around the house a little bit for a couple days after the show, but yesterday I got back into my usual routine

I got this guy sanded and stained:

He'll be ready for some sealer now.

I don't think I got a picture of him after I put a few coats of spar on:

Tomorrow he'll be loaded up for a Friday morning road trip to his new digs.

I also went back to work at my night job. Here's my boss:

He always yells at me for being so slow and not taking my job seriously. I'm kind of scared of him since he got on this whole trophy head thing. He's been a little surly lately.

I think I had 27 pieces to glaze. I got a good start on it all before the boss' bed time.

I only finished the bird man rock pendant while I was over there, so the boss made me take my job home with me.

At home, I powered out the rest and finished up at about 2:30am.

Hope the boss doesn't see all the overtime I'm accumulating.

On 2009-03-21 07:56, Benzart wrote:
Oh Yeah, BUZZY, The Buzz Master, soon to be crowned the Chair Master, Tiki Master, Drum Master, Sunset Master, Journal master, ceramix master, Entertainment Master?

Thanks Benz! Great post! I was hoping that my good pal Freddie(House of Ku) would have come in and added that I'm also a Master Debater from way back! :wink:

On 2009-03-21 22:30, big daddy wrote:
#1 i would love to be your coffee supplier for the amount of work you get done.
#2 the view is just great. sure beats the view of the house next door to me.

#1 As long as I am alive, Investing in Pepsi will ensure a return for you. Bank on it!
#2 Funny, that's what my next door neighbors say about my house!

On 2009-03-22 09:41, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Hi Buzzy-
It was great to see you last night at the Tikiyaki flea market!! Those drums are fan-freakin-tastic !! They look and sound really good in person. I hope to see again soon!! Summer is almost here!! Yeah

Spermy!!! Thanks for keeping us company in the Buzzcave! We'll have to have drum circle thing some day...
But with no hippies! Only Tiki Guys!

On 2009-03-25 00:37, jab tiki wrote:

Maybe a Thu. Chop??

Only if you want to help load the big guy into my truck...please?

Back to work...
Buzzy Out!

T

That's a cool mug he's got coming along!

I see you chose the cheap booth right under the dart boards. Mighty brave of you! :P

B

Your late hours are going to get me in trouble with the Union.... See ya tonight!

JT

Buzzy, If you catch this post in time, Can you pick up my Mug from Babalu's Casa?
I'll help load the Big dude tomorrow. Thanks.

• Johnny.

good, god those drums look cool! nice job!

big guy looks cool too...and heavy.

I'm always amazed at the amount of really good carving that you can get done in a day. Impressive fo sho!

Today's sunset comes from the driveway of Babalu's studio:

Ode to Big Daddy. :wink:

I dropped off the stuff I glazed last night and made some more mug blanks while I was there this evening:

I brought these home to finish up over the next couple of days.

Cammo came over today and did some staining of the mask:

Bird's eye view:

He's just about done with it now

I sanded and stained this guy while Cammo was here

The back is hollowed out so that it can be hung on a wall

It will stand up too, but I made it as a hanger.

I also sanded and stained this guy today:

He's carved from a split log and meant to be hung like the other one

I didn't hollow it out, but made a butt instead:

the hanging hardware will fit on the flat square part of the back.

On 2009-03-25 13:18, TheBigT wrote:
I see you chose the cheap booth...

That's where they put you when you show up 45 minutes late.

On 2009-03-25 16:31, Babalu wrote:

Nice man purse you got there! :roll:

On 2009-03-25 19:19, jab tiki wrote:
Buzzy, If you catch this post in time,

Sorry, just missed me. I'll get it next time.

On 2009-03-25 20:06, Polynesiac wrote:
good, god those drums look cool! nice job! big guy looks cool too.

Thanks Polynesiac! It's always great to hear from you. Glad you still stop by once in a while. Hope I run into you soon, now that it's tiki season again.

'Tis the season to be jolly,
Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2009-03-26 01:10 ]

Today's sunset

Jabtiki dropped by today and helped me get the big guy into my truck. Thanks for the help Johnny!
Bye bye big guy

I got the table sanded and stained today:

And I put some oil on these three guys:

Road trip!
Buzzy Out!

JT

Your Welcome Buzz.
Have a safe trip.

man the big guy looks great. how do you cope with the feeling of lose when you let one of your pieces go? i still have to get over that feeling of lose. great work on all your tuuf.

bd

B

Once again Excellent job on the big guy, his Moko is Way Cool. Looks like you kept putting in lines until there was no face left, that's the way!
The short trio looks great too.
You really need to do something about that yard, there just aren't enough logs yet! :lol:

it does'nt look That Big...

you're like 5'4" right?

see you's soon.......

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 27, 2009 9:10 AM

5'3& 3/4".

could there be a twin coming soon?

Buzzy's the best!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
Google search me and see!

[ Edited by: revbambooben 2009-03-28 09:56 ]

V

You've inspired me to carve more Buzz! Thanks.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Mar 29, 2009 6:31 AM

Hey Buzzy, your shoelace is untied!

No, really, it really is! Check it! Look!

Really, I'm not kidding! It really is! Hey you'd better tie it before you trip and fall!

That's a great tiki, great work, but just look at your shoelace once! Just look down, c'mon!

No, really! It's untied, I'm not joking, it really really is not tied! It's your left foot! look! That one!

Okay, fine. Don't look.

Wow!!! That is some collection! All of your work looks fantastic. The details on the big guy are incredible, including the untied shoelace!

I have never seen a three legged tiki before. I wish I was that fortunate!

All, buzzy's Moari is so amazing that I have asked him to make a match for the other side, of course Ray asked me how much I was spending and I said they came as a set............lol

Buzzy, you are Amazing, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy

Again, very impressive Buzzy!

A twin will look extra sweet!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 4146 replies