Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Clifton's Brookdale, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 105 replies

From the info I got back in the summer it sounds like they are on schedule so far.

What a wonderful story and a great piece of history. Thanks for sharing! I'll be very excited to see pics and details once they re-open.

This was posted by LA Downtown News on Tuesday, May 20, 2014. There is nothing on the Clifton's website about an opening date in August.

CLIFTON’S RENOVATION: The restoration of the 1935 Clifton’s Cafeteria, at 648 S. Broadway, is on track for completion by the end of August, said property owner Andrew Meieran. The long-awaited renovation of the four-story building includes several eating and drinking establishments, as well as a new name: Clifton’s Cabinet of Curiosities. The first two floors will be a restored version of the classic cafeteria, serving up comfort food dishes. Other options will include a tiki bar and steakhouse-style eatery on the fourth floor, as well as a butcher, a specialty grocery and a bakery, according to the project’s website. Meieran acquired the building in 2010, but the project has seen both substantial delays and a swelling budget. The developer is now spending about $7.5 million on the renovation. At cliftonscafeteria.com.

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/development/development-updates-on-downtown-projects/article_dc9d893e-dd46-11e3-9c51-0019bb2963f4.html#user-comment-area

On 2014-03-13 08:59, tikilongbeach wrote:
This lengthy and informative article from Collectors Weekly.

What an incredible historical tale.
Missionary background; Integration prior to the Civil Rights era; Taking on the Chandlers and the LA Mayor's office; and assassination attempts.

Over the weekend, workers were seen installing and testing a neon sign above the entrance of the Clifton's Brookdale cafeteria on Broadway. The new neon sign reads "Established 1932" and sits in a row above the doorway where there is room for more signage.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2015/01/cliftons_facade_gets_new.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LAObserved+%28LA+Observed%29

What happened to the Tiki Bar?

Anyone?

Class??

Ben, the sign doesn't mean anything, the inside could still be gutted for all we know.

Any updates? Have to admit we're really wondering about what has changed on the inside...

[ Edited by: mike and marie 2015-03-25 17:53 ]

A

This just posted today (5/19/15) on Eater LA:

Welcome to the rumor mill.

While there’s been little if anything in the way of official information coming forth from developer Andrew Meieran’s team regarding the long, long, long-awaited rebirth of Clifton’s Cafeteria, some details are still spilling out, and they point to a few exciting new developments.

According to one source, there’s a lot of work still going on inside the shuttered space, but with everything so far behind schedule (an understatement, to say the least) the team is now trying to focus their efforts on opening just one or two of the multi-level, multi-concept restaurants and bars. The others will have to come later on, when the doors are open and some of that local goodwill has been restored.

Perhaps more importantly, the entrance underneath that glowing new signage could swing open as soon as August (a source says that’s Meieran’s timeline, while others involved are plotting for something mid-fall), and the team is already working on staffing up some of the bigger pieces of their complex concept.

When Clifton’s does open, don’t be surprised if there’s also a non-profit aspect to the whole affair. The old cafeteria used to routinely serve the homeless population downtown who couldn’t afford to eat, and given the many millions being poured into the building now, it makes sense that ownership would want to seem as philanthropic as possible still.

Again, there’s nothing set in stone yet regarding an opening date, and details are still coming together, but if the rumors end up being correct, it could all point to a late-summer opening, which would be a welcome return for one of Los Angeles’ most beloved old restaurants.

Thank you for sharing this. Its nice to have at least some news, even if its rumor mill. The suspense is killing me!!! AHHHH! Can't wait until the opening!!

Hopefully, the Tiki bar will be on the second level - although before the second level was just dining tables.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2015-05-21 11:06 ]

This from today, Monday, 7/20/15 on Eater LA:

And more news from the yet-to-open space.

Still waiting for Clifton’s Cafeteria to reopen Downtown? Join the party. The long-awaited space has been showing signs of life lately (including a fancy new light-up sign that was erected a few months back), and today comes confirmation that a few big names are fully attached to lead the opening charge.

First up is chef Jason Fullilove, who only recently left Malibu Pier restaurant for (at the time) parts unknown. Prior to that, Fullilove had worked with Mark Peel at Campanile / Tar Pit, as well as Patina’s slate of LACMA-based offerings.

On the operations side, Anuar Pinto Valesco arrives after a long stint with Neal and Amy Knoll Fraser, serving as BLD’s general manager and catering head for the rest of the group’s portfolio. Meanwhile, the bar side of things (which is projected to be its own very large beast) will be manned by Damian Windsor, who helped to open The Roger Room and consulted on many of the city’s most popular bars, from Bar Marmont to Bar Lubitsch and beyond. Most recently, Windsor has been working at Warwick, and Hollywood’s reformatted Power House.

The trio of names staking themselves to the upcoming Clifton’s rebirth certainly brings hope that a new beginning can’t be far away, though the heretofore tight-lipped ownership team won’t peg an arrival date. For now, the construction is still ongoing.

H

Word on the grapevine is they'll be open in about five more weeks...

F

On 2015-07-29 14:31, Humuhumu wrote:
Word on the grapevine is they'll be open in about five more weeks...

That would be outstanding!

Hard to believe, but definitely outstanding if it comes to pass.

I heard through the tiki-vine it'll be opening soon also. Something like 9 bars in there but the Tiki Bar won't be going in til after they open. Can't wait to see it and eat/drink there.

This is from Eater LA dated August 6, 2015:

And they're moving in the furniture, too.

After recently pulling in some top-shelf names (including chef Jason Fullilove) it seems that Clifton’s Cafeteria is now ready to take on lots more worker bees to help run the hive. Various postings across the interwebs indicate that a Downtown arrival for the long, long-awaited Clifton’s redo is almost upon us, with a big ol' job fair slated for the weekend.

Chris Amirault, formerly of Harlowe, Eveleigh, and Melrose Umbrella Co., is taking over some managing duties at the upcoming Clifton’s, and put out a notice — also replicated on Craiglist — asking for everyone from line and prep cooks to servers, bussers, bartenders, and security personnel. It’s a big ask, which shows you how close Clifton’s must be to coming back to life.

Even more intriguing is the arrival of furniture at the site, which has so far remained mostly dark — minus that neon light, of course. Well, there’s lots of activity these days, even if those big black walls out front prevent anyone from getting a good look inside.

Want a chance to work at one of Los Angeles’ most iconic restaurant, in all its redone glory? Show up on Saturday and dress to impress.

H

Here are some old pictures of Clifton's and some pictures of what it looks like now.

No tiki yet. :(

These are the pictures of the place what it looks like now.

Clifton's is set to open in phases starting Sept. 17, with the last portion, the Pacific Seas bar, targeted by Halloween.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2015-08-15 15:51 ]

So far, I like what I see.

Bahooka meets Clifton's! This from Eater LA August 17, 2015:

The legendary L.A. restaurant returns to its five-story home on Broadway.

When Clifton's Cafeteria closed back in 2011, it was a sad day for classic Los Angeles. The legendary Downtown eatery, which had lived since the early 1930s serving generic but beloved fare to anyone, regardless of what they were able to pay, received a second life when Andrew Meieran (The Edison), decided to take on the monumental project of rehabilitating and restoring Clifton's.

And after more than four years of construction, delays, and setbacks, Clifton's is ready for its debut on Thursday, September 17. Yes, that's a way off from now, but until then, you can still see the progress that's taken place inside. Details are still murky, but here's what we do know:

1. Jason Fullilove has been signed on helm the kitchen. He's done everything from Malibu Pier Restaurant to Ray's & Stark Bar.

2. Damian Windsor is overseeing the bar program. He's helped do everything from Roger Room to more recently Power House in Hollywood.

3. Bahooka's tiki decor will comprise a new tiki bar in the restaurant.

4. The cafeteria will be open for 24 hours a day, though restrooms will only be available to customers (apparently that's a big deal).

5. There will be some low-cost subsidized fare, keeping with the spirit of the original Clifton's.

As you can see, there's still a lot of work to be done with interior, but the classic elements are still inside, which should please anyone who loved the original Clifton's.

http://la.eater.com/2015/8/17/9165535/cliftons-cafeteria-los-angeles-downtown-opening-photos#4811478

[ Edited by: The Below Decks 2015-08-18 09:20 ]

This is from the Downtown LA News 8/19/15:

"The fourth floor holds the Treetops bar and lounge; the design is Art Deco, with the redwood replica’s needle-like leaves creating a canopy overhead. Through a nearby doorway is a tiki bar named Pacific Seas. Decorations include a 1939 Chris Craft boat and tiki pieces from Bahooka restaurant in Rosemead, which closed in 2013. Meieran said he expects to open the bars and an American steakhouse menu on the floor by the end of the year."

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/the-comeback-of-clifton-s/article_bca8e504-42be-11e5-a776-73950419e100.html

[ Edited by: The Below Decks 2015-08-19 13:46 ]

For those who want to get a peak at the new Clifton's, this looks to be a good opportunity. I know that I'll be there!

http://sofabinstitute.org/events/gin-a-botanical-mystery-tour

Gin! A Botanical Mystery Tour
Tuesday, September 22, 2015
6:30pm – 8:30pm

Clifton's Cafeteria
648 S. Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90014

Join The Museum of the American Cocktail (MOTAC) for "Gin! A Botanical Mystery Tour," featuring Jared Brown, Master Distiller at Sipsmith Independent Spirits in London. Jared, a MOTAC co-founder, will lead participants on an historical and global tour of gins, including London Dry, New World, and Old Tom.
This very special edition of MOTAC's "Touring the Cocktail" series also marks the reopening of Clifton's Cafeteria, a Los Angeles culinary icon, now extensively renovated and the future home of MOTAC's next LA gallery. Admission includes gourmet appetizers courtesy Clifton's famed kitchen.
Tickets are $40 in advance, $35 for SoFAB-MOTAC and USBG members, and $50 at the door. If you have any issues with the ticketing software or would prefer to make your reservation on the phone, please call us at 504-267-7490 during the week or 504-569-0405 on weekends. Tickets may be refunded or exchanged up to 48 hours prior to the event. After 48 hours no refunds will be available.

Sounds like an excellent symposium/event! I have posted in several other threads here how I have been exploring "New World" gins and have really been enjoying them. I'd like to see some attendees post their impressions here after the event. HAVE FUN at the new Clifton's!

The Gin presentation at Clifton's last night was cancelled. Those with advance tickets were informed by email yesterday afternoon that the event had moved to another bar in Hollywood. I got a refund. Looks like it was an electrical issue and that they'll open later this week ... hopefully. Here's the latest from CurbedLA, along with some incredible pictures of the inside. Still no photos of the tiki bar (and the Bahooka remnants).

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2015/09/renovated_cliftons_delayed_opening.php

[ Edited by: The Below Decks 2015-09-23 12:25 ]

I had lunch yesterday and again today at Clifton's Brookdale, 648 Broadway, in downtown Los Angeles. They told me the upstairs tiki bar (with the remnants of the Bahooka!) will be open Halloween. Knowing how much money has been put into the renovations and rebuilding of Clifton's, I can only imagine the work that's gone into the tiki bar. Can't wait!

This shell bowl was for sale and I got it today downstairs when paying for lunch. They still had 4-5 left (but for all I know they still have hundreds in storage).

H

Went to Cliftons for lunch yesterday. Funny, the Below decks was there same time. Anyways, took some pictures, loved the place. Didn't care for the food at all. I had what they called ham which tasted more like pork and macaroni and cheese and cole slaw and jello, didn't care for any. Hope they improve the food in the future. here are the pictures.

The music was from the 30's, they were playing it the entire time we were there. It was real nice. these people looked so perfect in the setting, I asked if I could take a picture.

Time to hit downtown again, I know John-O was planning a stop there last week.
anyone else have a chance to check it out yet?

On 2015-10-07 19:48, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Time to hit downtown again, I know John-O was planning a stop there last week.
anyone else have a chance to check it out yet?

Katie and I are going tomorrow.

I took a lot of similar photos for my visits on Tuesday and Wednesday. Frankly, the food is pretty straightforward cafeteria food: carved turkey and beef stations, mashed potatoes and gravy, fried chicken, etc. Don't get me wrong, it's a large step (or two!) above the food that was served at the old Clifton's. (I used to joke that you have to shake the dust off the meat before eating.) But even as improved, it's still cafeteria food, and it's only so good, and only stays warm so long as you pay and eat immediately. Any delay and you're eating cold (previously warm) food. If you go knowing that, then just go and enjoy the incredible setting. And for sure take advantage of the great bar on the 2nd floor. The bartenders are very nice, and seem well trained. I think it gets a different crowd in the evenings, and I'm guessing the bar area would be much more crowded at night. They have put so much time, resources and effort into the renovations that I have to believe the tiki bar (supposed to open on Halloween) is also going to be incredible. Crossing my fingers. Enjoy.

T

That shell is way cool, what was it used for?
And really want one of those Clifton trays!

On 2015-10-08 09:30, tikiskip wrote:
That shell is way cool, what was it used for?
And really want one of those Clifton trays!

It looks like a Tiki Farm clam shell bowl. They have made the other souvenir mugs that you can buy.
The trays look great! The lady that was first in line got a tray.
Not related, during college we would steal the cafeteria trays and use them to slide down snowy hillsides.

Let us know what you think of your visit, Lori

The old Cliftons food was nothing special, just standard cafeteria fare
so if the quality is better now (how about the prices?) I would not be disappointed
but I have much higher expectations for the more upscale restaurants opening soon.

On 2015-10-08 11:51, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Let us know what you think of your visit, Lori

The old Cliftons food was nothing special, just standard cafeteria fare
so if the quality is better now (how about the prices?) I would not be disappointed
but I have much higher expectations for the more upscale restaurants opening soon.

It was too damn hot on Friday, Saturday and Sunday to leave the air conditioning. I didn't make it to Clifton's. 106 in Long Beach, WTF?

Yes it was, damn hot.....spent Sunday afternoon at the Exhibition Room in a Tux
for a friends birthday party, Saturday vending at Don's (at least they had working air conditioners)
but Friday's 103 degrees at the beach , left all my edges melted & I don't think I am getting them back. :lol:

So the last place to be this weekend was downtown L.A., hooray for climate change!

Just returned from another lunch today (10/20/15) at Clifton's Brookdale. (That's the advantage to working in downtown LA. Of course, I've had to work downtown for over 20 years waiting for these advantages!) They have three mugs for sale. A Black Bear Mug, a Grizzly Bear Mug (which is a brown version of the Black Bear mug) and an owl mug. I got the owl mug this time, as you can see below.

Previously, I'd heard the 4th floor tiki bar will open Halloween. Saturday night I was told it would open in December. I saw on Yelp that someone got a preview of what it looks like and here's what they said: "Level Four: Tiki bar and tree top lounge. TIKI BAR in DTLA!!! Sold. Open in a few weeks, this is gonna be awesome. There's a huge 70 year old, larger than life wooden Tiki to welcome you in. Old school maps and trains adorn the entry. Then, the bar is cut in half literally by a hand-carved amazing speedboat! It's like we're straight in 70s Waikiki. Hawaiian shirts encouraged."

F

On 2015-10-20 13:47, The Below Decks wrote:
Just returned from another lunch today (10/20/15) at Clifton's Brookdale. (That's the advantage to working in downtown LA. Of course, I've had to work downtown for over 20 years waiting for these advantages!) They have three mugs for sale. A Black Bear Mug, a Grizzly Bear Mug (which is a brown version of the Black Bear mug) and an owl mug. I got the owl mug this time, as you can see below.

Previously, I'd heard the 4th floor tiki bar will open Halloween. Saturday night I was told it would open in December. I saw on Yelp that someone got a preview of what it looks like and here's what they said: "Level Four: Tiki bar and tree top lounge. TIKI BAR in DTLA!!! Sold. Open in a few weeks, this is gonna be awesome. There's a huge 70 year old, larger than life wooden Tiki to welcome you in. Old school maps and trains adorn the entry. Then, the bar is cut in half literally by a hand-carved amazing speedboat! It's like we're straight in 70s Waikiki. Hawaiian shirts encouraged."

I dig the owl, Below Decks. Looking forward to doing a Clifton's/La Luz gallery trip in November and hopefully picking one up for myself.
Cheers!
:drink:

That sounds like a good plan. There are so many stops now in any downtown LA bar crawl that you would literally be crawling by the end of the night if you actually made it to, and drank in, each one. Clifton's, Cole's and Varnish, The Edison, Villain's Tavern, Seven Grand and Jackalope, Perch and Pattern. I'm getting thirsty(er) just thinking of them!

Nice pic of the owl mug and the cocktail. I'm very pleased that the interest in tiki continues to grow. There's so much revival tiki out there now that it seems to guarantee that today's generation will carry this another 50+ years into the future. Tiki is here to stay in our lifetimes.

Below Decks - I like your bar touring list, and will try to remember that list the next time I'm in LA. Might break it into two nights, though... I'd like to have that list paired with a "must have" cocktail (and a second one as well) for each venue. Then you could author a bar touring plan for LA, perhaps in another thread here.

I like the idea of planning a downtown LA bar tour. Many are walking distance from each other. It would be a fun night (or two)!

T

Went to Clifton's today - Ate at the cafeteria first and everything was great that we had...fish and chips were perfect in my opinion and everything seemed extremely affordable. Downstairs they only had the Black Bear mug left.....maybe only because Halloween is tomorrow but it looks more like a black cat to me. Everybody was super friendly and the bussers were amazingly attentive. I was pretty impressed.

We walked through the bar as we looked around and the Bartender was super nice as well while we looked at the menu. We continued to look around the building and then went back in for a drink, unfortunately the bartenders had changed and the one we got was NOT friendly. We order the drink that comes in the owl and the drink that comes in the brown bear and when asked if we wanted it in the mug to take home we said yes. He made the drinks at we were paying attention to all the fun things in the bar, then our drinks were both served in Black Bears (no mention that he wasn't going to serve to what the menu says) when I asked if they were supposed to come in the brown bear and owl he was pretty disgusted with me and waved his arm to the back of the bar and said that's what I got.....I was so thrown I didn't point out that if he looked like 3 feet to the right there was 3 shelves of brown bears and a self of owls.

The drinks were good, however the root beer float that come in the bear was like a third of the way up the cup and mine filled like a 4th of the cup....not sure if he just hated us or if that's the saving size but it seemed a little short for 28.00 a piece. I would have been happy if he filled mine with ice and at least made it look full like tiki drinks usually are. The float seriously had like two teaspoons of ice cream....they both tasted great though.

We waited a bit and asked another bartender that came on about switching out the mugs and go them all straightened out. I also was able to ask a manager about the opening of the tiki bar and he said "months away" still a ton of work to do. I know that doesn't match what others have been told so I guess we will see.

I also thought it was funny that they were referring to the bear mugs as "tiki" mugs

On my way out another guest was yelling at the bartender "do you guys not work for tips" because they weren't getting great service either. Hopefully the bartenders will get up to par with all the other employees in the place at least on their guest service.

lets cross our fingers that the tiki bar is not really months away.

C

I was there on Halloween afternoon and it's a beautiful place.. There was a line out the door but it didn't take long to get in.. They politely asked us to wait in line whether we were eating or not.. Either way you needed to be in line just to get into the restaurant.. Once inside, you can remain in the line to eat or go off to site see or hit the bar upstairs.. We stayed in line for the food and it took about 15 minutes.. Food was fantastic!.. This was NOT cafeteria food to me.. The carving station was turkey, ham, roast beef or ribs.. The roast beef and turkey was as good as any high end restaurant.. The food was definitely not bland.. Desserts were also excellent.. The Monarch bar was great too.. I received good service.. My bartender had an English accent and whipped up a drink for me off the menu.. It was Appleton Estate with some sort of ginger simple syrup and lime.. It was very good.. The Gotham bar looked fantastic on the 3rd floor.. It was closed as they set up for the Halloween party but we were able to sneak in to snoop around and take pics.. We were told the tiki bar will be open Thanksgiving weekend.. Also a speakeasy in the basement will also be opened Thanksgiving (if all goes well).. In regards to the bars mentioned above.. Seven Grand was chosen as making the best mint julep in the city.. I'm no drink expert like yourselves but it was pretty damn good..

[ Edited by: cvcgolf 2015-11-01 19:22 ]

F

On 2015-10-28 09:38, The Below Decks wrote:
I like the idea of planning a downtown LA bar tour. Many are walking distance from each other. It would be a fun night (or two)!

THIS! Yes, please. I organized something similar in Long Beach a few years ago with a small group where we went to 6 different bars, each specializing in a different type of drink. And then I gave some history on the place and/or particular drink that was highlighted. I called it an "Urban Drink Hike" just b/c I don't love the phrase "bar crawl" and it was sort of a parody on the whole suburban "let's get outside and do something healthy!" hipster trend.

But I'd love to join up in the kind of walking bar tour in LA.

LA Magazine
What You Need to Know About Those Five Bars at Clifton’s Cafeteria
The cafeteria is off to a rocky start—but at least there’s booze!

October 30, 2015

The renovated L.A. landmark Clifton’s Cafeteria only just reopened this month and it’s already going through a couple of major upheavals: Opening chef Jason Fullilove is officially out and director of spirits Damian Windsor is leaving in two weeks! What this means for the food and the three other bars in the building which have yet to open—as well as the currently opened bars—is not clear. But here’s what we do know about the bars themselves.

The five bars were conceptualized by owner Andrew Meieran and consultant Michael Neff (formerly of Three Clubs) while Windsor (Power House) served as the creative source between all bars. “We didn’t want to make a space that just had a lot of bars in it,” says Neff. “We wanted each space to have its own identity. We have different designs, different intentions, different names, different educational programs.”

Each bar has its own lead bartender who is in charge of creating the specialty cocktail menu for their particular bar. For the mezzanine Monarch Bar it's Chris Amirault (Harlowe), for the Gothic Bar it's Dustin Newsome (Seven Grand), and Aaron Polsky (Greenwich Project in NYC) is doing the basement Shadowbox. No word yet on who will be in charge of the upstairs Tiki bar or the Treetops restaurant bar.

Even though each bar will have its own distinctive cocktail program, all—with the exception of Shadowbox—will also share a classic cocktail menu. "The purpose of that is for people who are going from space to space or they're checking out the new space. We just wanted to have a little bit of through line," explains Neff.

However, this doesn't mean that you can order a vodka tonic at every bar, or even a Tiki bar cocktail down at the Gothic bar, since each bar has limited space and its own program. "We want to be able to specialize, to not offer everything in all places," says Neff. So, he adds, if you want a Budweiser and a shot, there are three spaces where you can get that. There just won't be a huge selection of vodka at, say, the Tiki bar. "I only have so much room, I need to focus on rum or Japanese whiskey or something else. If you want a lot of vodkas, you can go downstairs. As big as the place is there isn't a lot of space for our stuff. We don't have massive backbars so we have to be able to make choices."

So here's the lowdown on each bar.

Monarch Bar: This beer-focused California-themed neighborhood bar, which is also the dining room for the cafeteria, is open at 11 a.m. to close. Guests can drop-in with their tray of cafeteria food and enjoy beverage table service. Choose from 20 draft beers, a Golden State wine list, eight specialty cocktails as well as soda fountain creations. The 1930 soda fountain, when the bar is fully operational, will offer four different floats and four boozy options. There will also be four cocktails that are loosely based on an ingredient found in the featured floats. Currently there is a Big Sur Bacon Bomb float and a bacon bourbon Old Fashioned garnished with the same candied bacon found in the float. Since the bar is technically a restaurant, this means that not only can children sit at the bar, too, but as soon as the cafeteria is open 24 hours the bar will be open from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. "So we're looking for ways to get some bartender breakfast style specials going," says Amirault.

Gothic Bar: Since this was where modern science fiction was born, the back bar is done up like a Gothic church altar complete with soaring arches. Guys like L Ron Hubbard, Forrest Ackerman, and Ray Bradbury met up on Thursday nights and sat on a bench on the second floor of Clifton's when that back room was known as the Brown Room. Now it's a high-volume, high-energy bar with some elements of sci-fi homage like a meteorite at the bar and cocktails named "Forrest J." and "The Two Rays" on the menu. And that sacred bench where the Los Angeles Science Fiction League once congregated is now a booth. The cocktails, by Newsome, are meant to be easy to execute for the high-volume bar while still being delicious and approachable. And since the bar has the most space it will also showcase the most kinds of spirits, making it conducive to hosting tastings as well as guest bartenders. Still in the works: tableside cocktails delivered via bar carts as a large format option.

Treetops Bar: This space is slated to be a fine-dining restaurant with a small bar whose focus is on rare and unusual spirits. This is where you'd go to sip on something special. However, because the space has proven so popular for throwing awesome private events, and there currently isn't a chef, the restaurant itself won't be ready till some time next year.

Pacific Seas Tiki Bar: Even though this bar on the fourth floor was still in disarray when I got to see it earlier this month, the space holds such promise. There's actually a vintage Chris-Craft motorboat jutting out of the middle of the bar where bartenders will serve drinks from. And not to mention the fact that Tiki fans can visit the old decorations of the beloved and now closed Bahooka Tiki restaurant here. Because of the holidays it most likely won't open til the first of the year.

Shadowbox: Located in the basement, Shadowbox will be different from the other Clifton bars in every way. It won't offer the house classic cocktail menu at all as it is meant to be akin to the Aviary in Chicago—a high concept, fully immersive experience. It will be the only bar in the building that you will need a reservation for. The cocktail program by Polsky promises to bring back a sense of magic and wonder to even off-duty bartenders and cynical cocktail drinkers. "They're going to play with every kind of trick that we have to make things cool and fun," says Neff. For instance, as soon as a guest is seated, they will be approached by one of two cocktail carts. One cart will offer an Old Fashioned while the other is tableside spherification of French 75s with a vodka, gin, or cognac option. "It's basically a champagne cart and we'll spherify the actual cocktail. So we still get to do the cool stuff but we'll get to say, 'Hey, you want a drink while you're deciding?'" explains Neff. Other cool finds in the basement are an ice cave with a window where guests can see how Clifton's grows and farms icicles as well as an "excavation site" covered with plexiglass by the bar so you can stand over where fossilized dinosaur eggs have been "dug up." Shadowbox is projected to open in six to eight weeks. Be excited, be very excited.

Once all five bars are open Clifton's will no doubt resemble an Escher painting with cocktail enthusiasts tromping up and down the stairs in a seemingly neverending circuit, going from bar to bar.

UPDATE: Justin Oliver, former manager of the famed tiki bar Smuggler's Cove in San Francisco, will be running the Tiki bar, Pacific Seas.

CBS Sunday Morning had a feature on Clifton's this morning.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/historic-l-a-cafeteria-serves-nostalgia/

T

Anybody hear any updates on the tiki bar opening here?

I'll go again today for lunch and see if anyone knows anything or has any possible tiki bar opening updates.

Someone has to know the owner around here to get some real answers.

Kick down.

Who's holding back?

Pages: 1 2 3 105 replies