Tiki Central / Other Events

kick_the_reverb & thejab in Seattle March17, Portland March 18-19

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

D

A hearty meal before KiTR and the Jab make the drive to Portland

our waitress looks familiar!
but geez, she has lots of rules!

this place is lots of fun..

Selector is dazed by the quantity of food..

the ever so cool Woofmutt, The Jab, Kick in the Reverb, Mr Bytes, dogbytes, Puamana, Selector Lopaka

todd ordered food that touches

notice how easily my food can be separated? thats the right way to eat!

The Jab removes his Super Spectacles, and tries to see through the menu to discern what dish was put before him.

Presto Chango he removes the menu a Peanut Butter Malted appears!

I was in town for an interview, but couldn't make the lunch scene. I did meet a friend around 7pm Friday, though, and as suspected, it was a zoo. We lucked-out and got a small table, but was disappointed to find out there is no regular menu food service in the bar (unlike Sf and E-ville). Decor was nice, drinks were fine, appetizers yummy, and the host was a very funny gentleman whose name I did not get. Older man, stocky, with glasses - looks like he might have been a guest on the Soupy Sales show. Nice guy.

Food and drink service in the bar was outstanding, especially considering the massive crowd packed in there. I've never had better service at any Vic's. I give it two mai-tais up!

Sorry we missed you Tiki-bot. In regards to the host at TV's. He was the host at the Seattle TV's before it closed. Do let us know when you're up here again.

Tiki-Bot ~ hope your interview went well enough that you'll be a regular at the Bellevue TV!

Looked like a great food fest, am very bummmed I missed the events up there this past weekend.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

S

hahaha, Your waitress looks like she drank
too much rum and only got 5 hours of sleep...
hahahahhahahaahaha

I hearby vote to make Dogbytes the official Tiki Central food photo
journalist!! I love seeing all the pictures of food, and the descriptions
that accompany them. Better bring that camera of yours to Trader Vic's
on the 25th, cause there's gonna be a whole lotta eatin and drinking going on!
Did you hear they have a special where none of the food on your plate touches??

P.S. can you bring a purse large enough to fit dinner plates in??

W

I don't know if they'll tour again or if this was just a one off thing but if the show comes to your town be sure to try and catch Re-Kick The Verb Jab. I'd seen The Jab doing one of his solo appearances before..I think it was on the All That Jab! tour...And it was great, but the pairing of the two approaches comic territory only Jerry Lewis has had the vision to explore before, with a strangeness worthy of a young David Lynch. When they both look at you through The Glasses there's that weird feeling of "Should I laugh or leave?" A real head trip. And there's that way one of them cracks a warm yet slightly evil smile as the other begins to tell a story that they both know well...It's infectious in way that makes you smile and the back of your scalp itch. Highly recommended!

Still recovering from this whirlwind tour, but a few quick notes:
A very big thank you to my travel partner - thejab, without him I would have done much less. His knowledge of things cool, and his superior technological gadgets (PDA vs. a bunch of pages printed from mapquest for example) has made this trip much more enjoyable. Plus, sharing the costs has made it only half "brother can you spare a dime" inducing in its financial effects.

Even a bigger thank you for our Seattle and Portland Ohana, who took care of us, showed us around, and made our visit even more fun than expected. It was great reuniting with Selektor Lopaka, Puamana, Dogbytes and Mr. Bytes, and to finally meet Woofmutt and Sweatpea in Seattle, and I think almost the entire Portland crew. Woofmutt was in a dangerous and strange situation when we first met - two worlds colliding , but he survived to tell the tale the next morning. Sweatpea had to leave before the main event at the Funhouse, and that was too bad, but being that she had hungry nagging mouths to feed the morning after, it was understandable. The Portland crew joined us at the Alibi where I learned about their unique relationship with the owner and their contribution to keeping the place as much authentic as possible. Good job. Being the party animals that they are, the also joined us for the show at the Doug Fir, and I don't think they regretted it. We were looking for room parties afterward, but wisely went to sleep at around 1:30 or 2:00, because the next day was a whirlwind tour of Portland with thejab and Katie(sp?), and then later joined by Maori_man and Mrs Maori man (don't remember if she has a TC handle).

Thanks everyone, wish I could do the NWTiki KOn, but doesn't seem like it.
Maybe sometimes in 2007?

Ran

T

What a great weekend!

Thanks to Selector Lopaka and Puamana, dogbytes and mr. dogbytes, sweetpea, and woofmutt for such an action-packed 24 hours in Seattle!

And thanks to all the Portland TC folks who came out to the Alibi on Saturday: tikimaxton, melintur and tikimama, maori_man, Frenchy Polynesia, and all their guests. The Alibi sign looks amazing thanks to these hard working folks!

Super thanks to my new friend Katie, who guided our Sunday journey to tons of vintage clothing stores, records stores, bars , and restaurants. OK, I exaggerated a little when I told her I didn't know where anything was, so she would join us :wink:

But mostly thanks to kick_the_reverb, who was the perfect traveling companion. We had some nice long discussions about steaks, tropical drinks, girls, and other important subjects on the 3-hour drive down to Portland so the time just flew by. It was his idea to go see the Satan's Pilgrims, who I never had the chance to see, and they blew me away. They were amazing!

Unfortunately, none of my people pics came out because there is a problem taking indoor flash pics on my camera.

The first morning when I arrived in Seattle I found this place to have breakfast while waiting for Ran's flight:

I also checked out this time-warp circa-1976 modern 24-hour restaurant called 13 Coins. It's right across from the airport entrance on Hwy. 99 (there's a sister one in downtown). Check out the high-backed chairs and booths, the wood hanging lamps, and the groovy chain lights.

The restaurant is a long counter on one side, booths on the other, and a small upper level room in the back.

One of the booths. The tables have 13 coins embedded in each one.

On the left as you walk in is a waiting room with black leather couches, a wall of decanters, a ceiling full of hanging lights, and a crazy wood artwork.

The beautifully restored Alibi sign.

And the Palms Motel sign is still looking great:

On Sunday, we went to gorgeous Huber's, Portland's oldest restaurant, for flaming Spanish Coffees.

On a sad note, my favorite cocktail lounge in Portland, the Driftwood Room, in the Mallory Hotel, may be lost forever, as the hotel is being remodeled. I have a slight hope that they won't mess with the bar, but it doesn't look good.

Go to my Flickr page if you want to see full-size versions. http://www.flickr.com/photos/thejab/

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-03-22 14:45 ]

T

I found this article on the Mallory remodel:
http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/living/1138155936122800.xml?oregonian?lvls&coll=7

"Don't worry, the lounge is going to stay pretty much the same," he said. "From what I understand, they aren't going to change the structure, just update lighting and replace the carpets and furniture."

Let me guess, they are going to add lights that are way too bright, and maybe some strings of tiny white lights. Ugh.

Pages: 1 2 58 replies