Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tikiskip's / Kahiki lamp,Tiki bar lights, fishing float light

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 920 replies

T

Let's do the Time Warp again.

Hey thanks Swizz I'm glad you got something out of it and your lights are cool.
But really your mugs are very cool, and your Bob o nut is one of the coolest tiki bobs out.
It would be a shame if you stopped making mugs.
(see Swizz Bob u Nut here)
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=39105&forum=18&start=150

Thanks ATP for the tip.
I have looked at LED and found some of them have a directional light beam.
In other words the LED C7s And C9s just don't work at all.

Also the larger LED standard base lights often have a bluish cast that I hate.( mostly home use)
I have to say that I cannot believe that we are in an age where the government can tell
us what kind of F*&^ing lights we can or cannot use!
Ok no politics.

Plus my main goal when I do make lights is to look like they are old, like from the Kahiki.
Just don't think the LED light fits that goal.
That is my view and if people like LED and make it work in their space all good too.
This tiki world is mostly fake and how you get the right look does not matter as long
as it works.

I did work at OSU as an electrician for a bit and changed lights for years and in this
time found that florescent lights burned out ALL over campus right after a power outage.
This makes me think that we will find that these LED lights also do not have the long life that we are told about.
They have transformers in them that would pop the light is my point.
I doubt that when testing the LED lights that they did real life tests that included power outages and surges from power going back on.
But maybe they did who knows.

Look I still have an answering machine and no cell phone so...
My brother thinks that is so funny.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-01-29 14:35 ]

Just as long as you are not still using a "FAX" machine, Skip :lol:

P.S. Vintage style LED lights are now available to, I am sold on these
as they really do make a big difference when the electric bill arrives.

TT

Just went through this whole thread for the 4th or 5th time trying to get some ideas. Skip you do amazing work. When I get the bones up for my new basement build, I'll be reaching out to you.

T

Dam ATP just looked at those lights you posted and they are not cheep!
Would almost double the cost on one of my lights.

And Tiki Toli don't know if we have met or not, but hey your right here like
a bit over an hour away?

And thank you.
Have had some tiki people that come over we go to Windward and talk about taking over the tiki world, HA! I kid, we just drink.
But it is fun, want to have a get together with a few folks this summer we can collect dues
wear hats, elect officers, HA! again I kid, we will drink and maybe make tiki crap.

Again thanks, will PM if we ever do anything.

TT

On 2016-02-10 08:28, tikiskip wrote:
And Tiki Toli don't know if we have met or not, but hey your right here like
a bit over an hour away?

Cbus is about 2 hours away. I hang with the Cleveland people all the time but never make it down there which is my loss and something I need to remedy.

Ok so like mike and marie?
Come up with them next time.

We need to come to that tiki bar porky's.

Know that's not the name but that's what I'm going to call it.

T

Been making these after a thread that asked where to buy them popped up.
Well don’t know where to buy them so I made some.
There are others photos over on that thread but since that thread is asking where to buy not so much how to make I will post the ones I make here.
They are fun to make.

May do a how to on these.

Hey they are lanterns after all.

See that thread here…
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=51184&forum=5&22

¤(¯*•.(¯*•..TIKISKIP..•*´¯).•*´¯)¤

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

T

I tried my hand at making one also. I think your's are better, though.

T

Looks good Greg.
As you found out the ribs on these umbrella picks don't line up.
This is the problem you run into when you "make" these, more like reconfigure really.
More to come.

T

Going to do a how-to on making or reconfiguring umbrella picks, in Torchguys thread
"Lantern umbrella picks-- still available anywhere?" he asked about where to buy these.
Not knowing where to buy them I thought I may be able to make some.
This is what I came up with....

••T•.•´¯•.•I•.•´¯•.•K•.•´¯•.•I•.•´¯•.•S•.•´¯•.•K•.•´¯•.•I•.•´•`•.•P••

So what is this?
It is what they call Joss paper.(also known as ghost money)
You can fine these at Asian grocery stores,(Mostly Chinese)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_paper

Ever since I was a kid I loved the Chinese writing on the fireworks we would buy.
It was so strange, items such as these can be used to make your umbrella picks.
Round designs works best for sure but use what you like best.

¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸ TIKISKIP™ "Go to the light"© ¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨

Lights, décor for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

S

I have no idea why or how it came about, but one day, several years ago now, i was at a bar and the bartenders partner and i were talking and she unravelled the little white part of paper on top of a cocktail umbrella and it was covered in what i assume was Chinese writing. Kind of makes sense, now knowing what sort of paper they are made out of.

Edited after finding this link in another thread that explains what i said above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocktail_umbrella

[ Edited by: swizzle 2016-03-02 06:21 ]

[ Edited by: swizzle 2016-03-02 06:35 ]

T

Thanks Siwzz I was going to say that was newspaper.
In China they waste nothing.
Making these I can't help think of the person that makes these day after day all their life for dam near nothing per hour in pay.
The drink these sit in would take many hours for them to afford.

Ok lets get started.....

MAKING A SMALL UMBRELLA PICK ABOUT THE SIZE OF A QUARTER.
By Tikiskip

We will use two sizes in making these.
The small size umbrella pick, this is the easy size umbrella pick to find.
And the Large size umbrella pick, don't know where I got the large size or if you can get these anymore.

At first we will start with the small size umbrella pick.

Take the paper away from the ribs very carefully so as not to tear the paper.
Chinese glue is not that good so they come off at times with ease.
Only remove about 1 inch of paper for this style.
Every now and then one will sick, move on to a different one, you have 143 more after all.

Now cut as round a circle as you can to the new size small umbrella you want to make.
Using Elmer's white glue, glue the ends of the paper back to the ribs.
You need to take too much of the paper off so you can make cut with Scissors.
Those little scissors are great for doing this.

Find those little scissors here...
http://www.joann.com/fiskars-craft-curved-4in-scissors/2550051.html?gclid=CPK92ubMossCFQeraQodP4YMHA

Lastly cut off the extra rib length on each rib.
SAVE the cut off rib parts as these can be used to make other umbrella pick styles.

Now you have three different sizes of umbrella picks.

Make drink install umbrella pick to said drink.
I think the smaller size is a bit cooler than the ones we are used to, and hey it's different.

More to come....

•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2016-03-02 14:46 ]

Awesome

EJ

Thanks for the show and tell Skip.

D
Danno posted on Mon, Mar 7, 2016 7:28 AM

Thank you for sharing. Very cool.

T

Thanks Hang10, Jefe, and Danno.
Do have some others to post just got side tracked.

Have gone nuts on these things and have found many ways to change these picks to make new styles.

It's fun to do as well.

EJ

On 2016-03-01 06:28, tikiskip wrote:
Going to do a how-to on making or reconfiguring umbrella picks, in Torchguys thread
"Lantern umbrella picks-- still available anywhere?" he asked about where to buy these.
Not knowing where to buy them I thought I may be able to make some.
This is what I came up with....

••T•.•´¯•.•I•.•´¯•.•K•.•´¯•.•I•.•´¯•.•S•.•´¯•.•K•.•´¯•.•I•.•´•`•.•P••

So what is this?
It is what they call Joss paper.(also known as ghost money)
You can fine these at Asian grocery stores,(Mostly Chinese)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_paper

Ever since I was a kid I loved the Chinese writing on the fireworks we would buy.
It was so strange, items such as these can be used to make your umbrella picks.
Round designs works best for sure but use what you like best.

¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸ TIKISKIP™ "Go to the light"© ¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨

Lights, décor for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

Hey Skip on those with your logo, the Trader Vic's logo and Lemonhart logo are you completely taking the white top apart and rewrapping or just making a hole in the new logo and slipping it over the top? On the lanterns what has been your success rate of removing the pick from the umbrella that slips on from the bottom? I was at a bar recently messing around with some and about every two out of three a portion of the pick broke off and remained in the top making it difficult to then slide on another umbrella to make a lantern.

T

“Just making a hole in the new logo and slipping it over the top?”

This one.

“On the lanterns what has been your success rate of removing the pick from the umbrella that slips on from the bottom? “

Only once did one just slip off of the top part.
So I don’t do it that way.
Will show with photos how to and all.

Going to make the small lanterns next.

Glad you have been working with umbrellas.

EJ

Thanks for the info Skip. Look forward to the "How To" info.

J

Thanks for the how-to Skip! I've been wanting gold metallic drink umbrellas for sometime, and the only source I can find that will let me specify a color is in the UK, so shipping costs more than the umbrellas and I can only get a dozen or so at a time. The other sources are all from China and will only send a variety of umbrellas, not all metallic. I really like the idea of the smaller umbrellas, so hopefully your next tutorial will show how you used the other materials to create umbrellas. I'm guessing just pleating and overlaying only existing umbrella, but I'll await your knowledge dump. :)

T

Yeah Jen I'm not going to show any really brilliant stuff but a few tricks that's all.

Like what if you used these to make, or, ah, remake your umbrella to be the gold foil
umbrella you want.
Small tips like that.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=gold+foil+cupcake+wrappers&tbm=shop

Skip, this is really cool, I love it. Very clever and creative.

Jen, if you end up going Skip's DIY route, you could probably do exactly what you're wanting with origami paper. The missus has a bunch of shiny metallic paper.

T

Yes that would work too.

The great thing about cupcake wrappers is they are pleated for you and the round shape
is already cut.

J

Well, I considered getting gold-colored mylar wrapping paper and using a craft punch to get the round shape. The mylar would be very flexible and would probably stick pretty well to the existing umbrella paper and fold without having to do much pre-pleating. Looks like I'll have to do some experimenting of my own.

T

MAKING A SMALL UMBRELLA PICK INTO A SMALL LANTERN PICK.
By Tikiskip

Ok so here we will do the same thing we did in the first part of making as small umbrella pick, that is to take the paper off to about one inch.

Now instead of cutting off the rest of the paper you cut down along the ribs right to the one inch mark of where took off the paper.

Next glue each one of the side tabs back into the bottom of the umbrella, these will be glued to the ribs on the bottom of the umbrella using white Elmer's glue.
NOTE: you will need to trim a bit of the paper that you fold back under the umbrella so it will fit nicely.

Cut off extra long rib parts.
The one bad thing about these is they no longer fold down as they are glued.

Add to drink and serve:

These look really cool when you put three together for a tiered look.

TIKISKIP: MakeLight&SellLight:MakeLight&SellLight:Repeat:

WOW those picks are fantastic. I have a question about one of your lamps shown way back on page thirteen. The way you aged the lantern glass is amazing. It gives off an eerie warm glow with the grungy red and black colors. Could you give a few pointers on how you did this? I would like to get that look for the glass in my mini diving helmet lamp.

T

Ok Trav for that one I used black testor's model paint, and amber shellac.
BUT the shellac was kinda old so that means thicker than regular.
With that said I used old thick shellac and new thinner shellac.
(shellac gets a more darker amber color when it gets old as the denatured alcohol
evaporates)

Sooo I painted the outside with new shellac, then painted the sides with old shellac but on the inside of the glass.
The inside was only painted in that oval shape.
Let that dry.

Next use the black paint to go around the edges and make that same oval but a bit smaller than the inside shellac oval. kinda dab the paint on like a small splash.

NOTE only one coat of shellac went on outside and no black paint went on outside.

So you do this in small layers over and over till it looks the way you like.

Remember it is best to go very slow put many small layers of shellac and paint so it looks natural.
Put it on the way it would have built up over the years, something gets splashed on light then get wiped off in the middle by sucky lazy pirate bartender.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the help Skip. I will give it a try. The glass in the helmet is very small but I think the effect will look good.

T

Three together for a tiered look.

T

Next...

S

Pretty awesome so far Skip, i look forward to seeing the finished piece.

J

On 2016-03-12 15:14, tikiskip wrote:
Three together for a tiered look.

Did you get those glasses from a certain etsy seller who posted the links on TC? I bought the shorter ones she was selling with the same design!

T

Ha!
No Jen my wife got those at an antique show.
Dam don't let her know about the small ones or she will want those too!
I love em but she would fill our house to the rafters with cool old glasses if I did
not stop her every now and then.

The really cool ones like that get by the old glass moratorium.

Still need to post that how to on the custom picks.

J

Here are the shorter ones. There was a set of 7 (we assume one got broken before the seller got them). They have the perfect capacity for a mai tai, although the pic with the drink in it is a Ginger Sling (my riff on a Singapore Sling). She had a set of 8 tall ones like yours. I don't know how much they sold for.

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2016-03-21 10:48 ]

Dam Jen what did they call those, they are cool.
Maybe an Xmas gift for wife.

I like a glass you can use.
Many times they are like shot glass size, too small.

J

They're no longer available from that seller since I bought the set of 7 shorter ones and somebody else bought the set of 8 taller ones. This was the title of the listing, but it doesn't really say anything about the manufacturer or style name: SET of 7 FABULOUS Pink Black Mid Century Mod Vintage Bar Glasses Gold Trim.

Good luck finding more.

J
T

I would pay that, but the shipping is US $14.15!
That's more than the glasses.

T

Here is the photos you asked for.
You know who you are...
Looks like I have about 18 lights at this time.
Thank you for your interest.

S

Wow! Where do i start? That lamp you had posted most recently looks fantastic finished. I like the one with the sharks jaw, that's something different, and as for the floats, unbelievable. The accuracy and consistency of your rope tying is amazing.
Awesome work as usual Skip.

T

"I like the one with the sharks jaw"
That one is called "Shark week"
The jaws are from the Kahiki got them from the egg roll factory sale.
Would most likely make more if I had just sold them by themselves then putting on a light.
Thanks Swizz,

Here are photos of the new light.

¤(¯*•.(¯*•..TIKISKIP..•*´¯).•*´¯)¤

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

T

Due to breaking my hand I will not be able to vend at the LowBrow Aloha event this
time around.
Was looking forward to vending and shopping at this event, the venue is a great one as well.

Am sure that David puts on a great event.

8T

Skip my buddy, sorry you got hurt. Hope that hand heals real good and you're back to your magic soon.
8FT

T

Thanks 8FT,
We don't bounce back like we used to.

Skip, saw this in the children's shoe section of Penney's. About 2 feet tall and 18 inches across, it would make a great lamp :lol:

T

Very cool Mike, looks like a great lighthouse type light globe.
In fact I bought a globe much like that to make into a light not too long ago.

Now Where did I put that thing.....

T

Ok here it is my latest light......
Still needs a few touches here and there.

It has small "Hand crafted" hooks to help latch the top.
Not really they are just for looks.
Hate that word Hand crafted.

Will bring it tomorrow.

•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY from TIKISKIP! Now buy your lover a Light!!

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

C

Skip, did you put that ship's wheel in resin? Killer lamp!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 920 replies