Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The New Rincon Room-New Pix 8/1/06-page9

Pages: 1 2 3 4 163 replies

K

All I can say is "Wow" and "LUCKY!!!!"

"I love it when a plan comes together"

I'm having great fun watching your bar being built. I see endless possibilities...AWESOME!!!

Thanks for the update bongo!

Nice A-Team reference Poly! I need to get up there and check out this paradise in progress!

You guys are insanely hardworking and talented. I love the progress pics. What material are you going to use to cover the roof?

Sabu

B

TikiBird-shooting for early summer completion
Alldo-stop by...my surfing days are limited, would love to hear about yours
Bamboo Ben-cabinets in the den where we will keep the cool collectables
TikiJosh-Yes it was in the Fall 2005 issue of Atomic Ranch. No fish tanks, just fish in the pond
Tikiwahine-I look forward to seeing the progress on your pad
Dr. Shocker& RobRoy-thanks for the offer of help, we may need it
TikiKate-I will try to post some of the house yard stuff
HododHank-I created a spoiler post, I have some more drawings I can add, the beams were routed and carved
Swampfire-a timecapsule is a great idea
GatorRob- no complaints from the neighbors......yet. The retired sheriff across the street hasn't spoken to me since we started. Most of these people don't spend much time outside. The guy behind me stuck his head over the fence to ask what we were building. When we told him it was a bar he perked up and started apologizing for his barking dog.
Sabu-the roof is planned to be corrugated metal. we will probably paint it to get rid of some of the shine.
Spermy, Matt Reese, Loki, Bete, Hewey, Benzart, Tikigap, Polynesiac, Chongolio, SuburbanPagan,Monkeyman,VonTiki, UngaBunga, LWID, Kahaka, and everyone that posted.......Thanks for your support and I hope to see you all here someday soon.

We picked up some cut telephone poles from the old Trader Nick's site in Pismo Beach that we will put in the yard somewhere

B

Here is the latest......room is wired and plumbed, electrician will be back next week to install and wire sub-panel, then rough inspection from the city. The retired sheriff across the street gets a nice view from upstairs.

inside

A little more privacy from the neighbors behind us after the siding is installed

Concrete/stone veneer (70s style, not popular.....special order) on planter wall where railroad ties were taken out

Side yard to street

Side yard to back

Contractors here are spoiled. Afraid to get wet, and we had a very wet March.

"The retired sheriff across the street gets a nice view from upstairs. "

Bongo-

Have him over so he can "protect and you can serve!"
(always nice to have good neighbors!!)

Where's my cabinet going??

B

Bongo, it is Really looking great. Love the concrete/stone work on the planter. The building on the whole looks like it will be strong enough to take a direct hit from a cat 5 hurricane, in other words "Built like a brick Outhouse". Looks like everyone is doing a great job. Through it all your yard looks great. Keep the pic's coming, thanks..

Looking good Ron!

Can't wait to see the finished product... though if it looks as good as the side path it will be a tiki paradise!

Love the old school torches

Good to see the surfboards :wink:

M

Nice Tiki oasis happening there Bongo! Envious.

M

Im not surprised. The bongofurys know how to do things right.

Its looks great and I see BIG potential.

Onatiki ?... get him really working and then you will see some results. None of this 10am - 2pm with hour lunch business.

Its clear you are using a winning team. :)

Thanks again everyone. BambooBen- The sheriff has not been as friendly once the hut could be seen over the fence. We will have him over once we get things close to done to show him that we aren't doing human sacrifices although Mrs. Fury told him we buried our ex's under the new driveway. Benzart- yes, we thought if we lost the house in an earthquake we would be safe out back. We took out all of the plants and grass, so we are planting as construction is out of the way. We had a lot of plants in pots from our last house and last year we bought a bunch more when a local nursury went out of business (small plants= $1.50, 1 gallon=$6.00, & 5 gallon=$15.00). Lake Surfer-The surfboards are from the early 80s, both 6'7" single fin. The torches I got about 3 years ago. Vintage look, but they also have a low voltage path light underneath. MaiTiki-It will be our Oasis from work. Monkeyman-Onatiki has been a big help, we hope to have him back after rough inspection so we can make better progress. He usually started at 8:00am and worked til dark, then it was beer, dinner, beer, and bed. No messin around! Here are more pics of the yard/house.

the barbeque

underside of torch. less fuel capacity to allow pathlight underneath.

preview of bathroom sink. cabinet from Marshalls, composite clamshell sink/planter from some home catalog.

looking back to the house from the bar. we added the trapezoid window above the living room window (over bbq) to let in more light. The slider was moved from where the window on the left is. before you had to squeeze around the dining table to get outside, better flow now and we added planters to both sides of the door for the palm trees. The stone will eventually cover the block on the bbq.

side of bbq

other side, pond will be between patio and bar

Wow! What an beautiful oasis this is turning out to be!

These were taken a couple weeks ago. I had trouble moving images to TC from shutterfly, but it seems to be resolved finally. All rough plumbing, framing, and electrical have passed city inspection. Drywall, siding, bathroom window, & insulation in and passed inspection.

Electrician has been back since these photos and installed all switches, motion detector, outlets, pulled wire to the BBQ, side yard outlet, spa and disconnect.

We used the spa & BBQ Memorial day. The siding is just for weatherproofing and to have somethingg to attach the finish to.

Have done a lot of planting but still have not touched the front or left side yards. The weeds are loving all the exposed real estate and are growing faster than we can kill em.

Just 2 inspections left.....shower pan and then final. Looks like we will get started on the roof and counters next. Pond will be last. Stay tuned......

Wow, that's looking real nice! There is a lot of potential there and I can't wait to see what you do with it. I wish the weather would permit me to build outside, but I suppose the basement will do. :)

B

I really love it, you are going to have one of the Coolest places in town. I can't believe how much work you have put into this already. This will be the Rincon room to beat.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jun 1, 2006 11:11 PM

Wow - what an awesome project!

Just reread the entire thread - huge amount of work - but definitely going to be worth it!

B

Thanks all! Here is the latest. First 2 pics are the easy clean walls around the toilet. No organic matting at that level.......

OnaTiki is back for the heavy stuff. Posts for the "porch" going up.

Rafters up.

Mrs. Fury's post design executed by Ona.

No shots of the fire pit yet. We will "age" the roof materials this weekend, so when Ona is back next week we can start applying it.

M
Moki posted on Fri, Jun 9, 2006 8:22 AM

Thanks for the update. Things are looking good. Love that post detail. Nice design Mrs. Fury.

Good idea putting the metal around the lower wall area in the bathroom. Drunk boys have bad aim!! :lol:

See you soon.....

We started on the roof finally!

Mrs. Fury did the rusting of the finish all weekend. We were happy with the look. Usually we have lots of marine layer this time of year, but it has been in the 80s. Great for a tan, but the black felt and metal roofing are hot, hot, hot.

OnaTiki got the bartop framed out, rocked and ready for tile.

Look how happy he is to Not be on the roof.

Doesn't look too steep from below but this thing is an A-frame. Ona's eye view.

We ended up with as many screws on the ground as we did in the roof.

A little matting up in the bathroom ceiling

Pele's firepit

New seats for the BBQ counter stools.

Hope you like it.

The new Rincon Room is comming together nicely!!! You guys are working hard and I can't wait to see it all finished!!! Thanks for posting progress pic's. I am loving the roof and the carved poles. Keep up the excellent work!

Looking awsome guys!!

wow, really looking good! i'm enjoying watching the progress. mahalo!

Just incredible progress. It looks very cool.

Z
Zaya posted on Sun, Jun 18, 2006 7:19 PM

Your Rincon Room is going to be amazing! The designs on the posts are beautiful, and I really like the "key" design on the roof. I look forward to seeing more updates!

[ Edited by: Zaya 2006-06-18 20:26 ]

Good idea putting the metal around the lower wall area in the bathroom. Drunk boys have bad aim!!

Too funny! But terribly true! Very smart move!

Loving the roof as well. The "rusting" looks perfect!

B

Excellent rust job, that is HArd to do.
BF, the Rincon room is really coming together nicely!

THat is looking sweet.

Great work.

Thank you all so much. I will post more soon.

H

Amazing, can't wait to see it in person. Oh I almost forgot, I am enjoying watching Ona built...

You notice how often a guy who's shaky about heights ends up working up on high? Ona you are a trooper!

Ona makes me work off the OSHA approved step ladder on the scaffold for the final set of roof panels. Doesn't look high unless you are the one up there.

Roof complete!

Bar top before tile.

Other side yard.

The lovely Mrs. Fury aging the final panels in her "spray booth".

Aloha

M
Moki posted on Tue, Jun 20, 2006 10:05 PM

Great job guys & Mrs Fury!!! Love that OSHA approved scaffolding. I'm glad I don't have to work off it anymore!!

Thanks for the pictures :D

Aloha

Boy, those OSHA people are pretty strict. That looks a little TOO safe for my tastes...

Amazing job. It's looking more and more like adventure land every day. Can't wait to see it in person!

Looking great guys! Hope to see it in person sometime.

Was aging some corrugated roofing myself last week. I sanded it, painted it black, beat it with chains, painted Crackle over top and then a color top coat. Not too bad.
Looks like Mrs Fury has a nice production line going!

Hey Ona did they make you get a haircut when you left the San Diego city limit?

Our city inspector worked on construction of the Mandalay Bay in Vegas. He said they had to acid wash the metal several times to get it to rust (for one of the restaurants) as the manufacturers have made it more resistant to rust. We did not want rust to get onto the concrete or surrounding areas. Mrs. Fury used "Primer Red" (there are 2 different colors available) directly onto the finish and a dark brown underneath.

The "porch" roof finished. Still need to add gutters & downspouts (per city code)

The bridge supports in place.

After spending hours looking online for a polynesian tile, we found these 4"X4" accent tiles (also available in 2X8)at a local tile store to help jazz up the cheap-ass tiles for the bar and shower.

Work has also begun on the pond.......

M

Lookin Sweet guys!!! Can hear the drums by torchlight already!

The project is coming along amazingly. Can't wait to see the bridge. I've really been enjoying this thread, vicariously living my own dreams through your reality. Good for you!

B

Pond started last week.

Underlayment, liner, and rock.

1" Bamboo attached over building paper. (Framing, building paper, siding, building paper, bamboo)

Wow! Looking great! The pond is alot bigger than I had pictured. Thanks for posting and thanks for the Bongwaters at Ric's. A pleasure to see you as always.

Damn, that's looking mighty fine. I love the line of the roof. Can't wait to see it with water!

cheeky half

Looking awsome!!
Time for a nap.

bongofury and Ono, that is very very cool, I love watching it all unfold and the attention to detail is great! Can't wait to see the rest

Amy

H

wow wow wow wowabongo!!!

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2006-07-06 18:15 ]

Puuurrty tiles!! ..and a BIG ole pond, too!! When you said pond I had no idea! That is going to look amazing! You guys are really working wonders up there!

Come ooooooooooooon August! :wink:

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Jul 7, 2006 3:31 AM

You guyz gettin a liquor license? That beauty is large enough to be a commercial bar! Awesome proportions of everything. Sigh.(envy)

Great work there !

Mahalo

M

WOW!!!
I loved the old Rincon Room... But the new space is OUT-OF-DIS-WORLD

[ Edited by: MTKahuna 2006-07-07 15:06 ]

Thank you all again. Yeah we miss the old Rincon Room, hopefully we can get some of the same vibe back.

Toches arrived-nice copper, but we are ready for old school black.

Mrs. Fury celebrates filling the pond even though the pump seal leaked and shorted out, so no waterfall til later.

Back with a new pump at 8:00 Friday night and she is already messing with the fall sound.

Alene shooting the release of the Koi

TikiTony looks on.....after staring at the Koi we went out for sushi. Is that wrong?

Enjoy

![](http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d928b3127cce8b703219706c00000016108AauG7lu5ZNN

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d928b3127cce8b703210f15500000016108AauG7lu5ZNN)

Oh.....pond is abot 9' X 30' waterfall is about 4 1/2' tall overall.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 163 replies