Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Trader Vic's ~ Bellevue Washington

Pages: 1 2 53 replies

P
PremEx posted on Sat, Dec 9, 2006 5:29 PM

The next problem came when I inquired about a drink they serve called Pimm's Cup. All the waitress could tell me was that it is "an English liquer." She asked a manager and he told her that it is "an English liquor." I waited for a further explanation, but that's all the waitress said. Okay, not going to order that drink.

I let out a laugh when I read that because I can actually relate to their lack-of-answer! :)

The traditional Pimms #1 Cup is one of my favorite hot weather drinks (I like to think of it as sort of a British Mai Tai)...and in all honesty, I never have a clue how to describe Pimms either! It's really...well...it's really its own thing. Hard to compare it with any other existing liqueur. So I can very much sympathize with the waitress and manager's answer.

Usually I just tell my friends..."I can't describe it. Try it...you'll like it!" :wink:

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/pimms-no-1-cup_index.html

While most official recipes mention lemonade as the main suggested mixer...most bars in the UK I've ordered them at use Ginger Ale...and I actually prefer that method myself. Very refreshing!

Same here on The Pimm's #1. It's a drink I've known about for years but only ever tried when Seattle's West 5 featured it on their Happy Hour menu this past summer.

I finally made it to the Bellevue Trader Vic's last week. We (couple of locals and an old OSI buddy who was in town and crashing on my couch) went for drinks on a Sunday mid-afternoon. It was the ideal time as there were only two other people in the bar.

The bar in particular is super swell, looking very much like a high end Tiki joint from the Golden Age. We were all surprised and happy to see the drinks menu done up just like the original Vic's menus, with full descriptions and illustrations. The drinks were not as outrageously priced as we'd heard. I had a Samoan Fog Cutter and found the flavor lacking (like punch with a lot of ice melt in it) but it turned out to be full strength despite the weak flavor. Other drinks were one of the bowls (forgot which one, but a less than enthusiastic review from the drinker) and the Navy Grog which was the big hit of the group. Staff was great, presentation of the drinks was like a dream (a real gardenia in the bowl, rock candy swizzles in the Grog), atmosphere was great (oldies Xmas mix on the sound system was tolerable).

We all agreed we'll be back, especially on a wintry Sunday afternoon. Well worth the trip if you're in the Seattle area.

Having been to the Trader Vic's Bellevue location myself recently...I gotta agree on the quality of the offerings and reasonability of price with the Woofmutt™. I found the Navy Grog to be the best beverage I have ever sipped...ever...hands down. I found the staff to be very friendly and personable, the atmosphere to be tres cool...and the drinks to be tasty and strong. In fact, I've been trying to replicate some of their goodies here at home, to no avail...and think it might be best to quit and just fly back for more.

TT

I went in the summer as well and although it was packed the service was great and the drinks were yummy! We were quite surprised to walk right out of our hotel (the Westin) and find a Trader Vics!! How fortuitous :) :)

there is such a thing as A Free Lunch.

Celebrating their First Anniversary, the TV in Bellevue is offering a printable a coupon ~ buy one lunch, get one free ~ till April 30th.

D

we went for happy hour ~ the prices are downright low! $3 for a Mai Tai, Vodka Mai Tai, Zombie, Bellevue Beach Bum , selected glasses of wine, draft beers and Well Drinks! they've expanded the bar menu nothing is over $5. the BBQ Sliders with Slaw were delish!

happy hours are 3-6 and 9-close

Pages: 1 2 53 replies