Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tikimeculas Stuff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 696 replies

You da man!

I can Finally ad something to this thread! I started this Maori piece about 6 months ago, and decided it's time to try and finish it up. It's about 23" tall and 11" wide and 2.5" thick, Poplar.

Still a long way to go, But here is what i did today. All i had done before today was cut the shape and started planing down some areas.

Enjoy!

This Dragon toothing is tough, Took some practice and I still don't think I am doing it right?

Here is the Maori Mask Finished up.

That's some SUPERB quality work, man. Very well done.

wow that is awesome work keep it up

B

Yes Definitely a Nice Piece!

Ka pai! Beautiful. The stain colour is just right.

Tama

Amazing piece. Great detail.

H

That is a great piece, great detail and workmanship.

B

TMec, Excellent job. There are about only a zillion cuts made in that dragon toothing and it looks like you did them All correctly. Really nice job!

J

You must have some patience, that is a lot of precise cuts with symmetry in the piece. Was there any inspiration for this piece or did you design it yourself?

JP

Bk, Marcus,Ben, Tama, Matt, Hiltiki,and JP Thanks for the kind words! JP the design came from one of the books I have on Maori carving, I changed it a little here and there. I think I screwed it up about 3 times and had to change it from my original drawings, but that is part of the fun I guess?

Here is a Small Maori Panel I started a few months ago. It's about 30"x20" . I Have not touched it in a couple weeks. I have about 12 hours into this one and a whole lot more to go. With all the Maori spirit in the air around here I thought i would share.

I also am In awe of the Maori Master Carvers of old. I hope it shows through my wood hacking's. I can not fathom trying to cave an entire meeting house, let alone one the size of what BK has been woring on.

[ Edited by: tikimecula 2007-03-18 09:30 ]

That's a very nice piece so far, and the dragon toothing is hard to master. Good work!

wow, this is really good, the detail is amazing! well done

amy

Very nice start. I can see you have really taken your time when drawing up; good to see. You have nailed the proportions and various elements and Im sure it will be a great piece! Keep us posted.

Tama :)

B

I'm a fan.

H

That is RIGHT ON!!!! I can't wait to see it finished/stained, inlayed, whatever you're going to do to it, etc.--but I will.

Thanks for the comments on this one, it will be a good long while before it is completed. I hope I can pull it off. I try to only work on it when the time is right. I Don't want to rush it and have to scrap it, do to mistakes.

B

Amazing beginning, any updated pix ?
Just can't wait for the progress.

Benjamin.

B

Nice job there T-Mec, I'm loving the details and the dragontoothing, like BK said, it IS Hard to master and you are making it look easy! Can't wait to see updates on this guy. Nice

J

Bump,
How is this doing? I missed it the first time around. Terrific work so far!

JP

Nice PUPU, uh huh huh, pupu. Can't wait to see this one!

B

On 2007-04-07 19:39, JohnnyP wrote:
Bump,
How is this doing? I missed it the first time around. Terrific work so far!

JP

I'm with Johnny P, good question :)

Benj

The Maori panel is just sitting waiting on me? I have to wait till it calls to do more work on it.

Here is what i have been working on (Besides the Clubs). It's based on a Cook Islands Staff God. Made out of black walnut.
I will have to do another one of these, This one turned out OK, made a few mistakes, but I know I can do better. It was more of a trial piece to see if i could pull it off.

B

I N C R E D I B L E

T

That IS very nice, from what I can see... improve on it if you must, but this one is still real nice!

K

Man, I frickin' LOVE this thing. Dig that rich black walnut. Really unique look to it! I want one!

The Cook islands staff god turned out really great. Nice work.

Thanks, Benella, Tikigap, Kahaka & Sneaky!

Tried to take another pic without the flash today but it is still coming out darker than it actually is?

Here it is hanging out with his new friends.

[ Edited by: tikimecula 2007-05-06 15:40 ]

K
KAHAKA posted on Wed, May 2, 2007 3:52 PM

Good God you've got skillz! I got my Cook Island piece in the mail today... looked amazing in the pics but friggin' unbelievable in real life! MAHALO!!!!!

Timecula, you really have some amazing talent! I love the clubs and the attention to detail...really really nice

Amy

Thanks Kahaka, Glad you like it!

Here's another Maori Thingy I am almost done with. It's a Commision piece. I usually dont show these, I let the buyer show them if they wish, But it's one of my personal best.

K
KAHAKA posted on Sun, May 6, 2007 6:44 PM

Mighty fine... mighty fine indeed!

B

T-Mec, I'm Really glad you decided to show that last piece, it's Truly Excellent and I should hope the new owner appreciates the beauty of it.
Your "dark" stuff is Excellent too. Stick with the maori stuff, it suites you well

the maori panel is off to a great start. fantastic design! good to see ya carving and posting brah.

Andy, can we get a "dragontoothing" demo at the Chop? Your recent work is really looking tight.

H

Hey man you are crazy! That´s a realy good job on this Maori panel. Cleanly carving!
What kind of wood do you use? Congratulations to the client.

Kahaka, Benz, Kings, Aaron,Haikai, Thanks!

Here it is almost finished, Still one more thing to do before i can put the DONE stamp on it.

The detailing on these Maori pieces are just MINDBLOWING...beautiful work.

P

wow

wow

those are great pieces job.

(yes, i used a biblical reference. doesn't mean anything aside from the fact the main character has similar qualities.)

H

I just love your work.

B

T-Mec, I'm Relly Jealous of your work,,I want it ALL. You have advanced tremendously since you started doing the Maori stuff,Congrats. Very WELL done! Here are your last 2 with a bit more contrast and lighting.

H

Man--you are a true PRO! This stuff is just kicking my A$$! I really like that tang thang and the Maori pieces---huh-what can I say--BEEEE-YOU-TEEE-FUL!

Thanks, Freddieballs, Pdrake, Hiltiki, Benz & Surf.

Maori pieces are both a challenge & fun to carve, so busy and full of detail, they really put your skills to the test. I just hope I do them justice.

very inspiring work Tikimecula. I never get bored checking the threads in "carving"
and it's because great stuff is popping up on a regular basis. Excellent.

this stuff is even more impressive in person....Whenever you're ready for a trade you just let me know! great stuff and thanks for helpin get my chisels into shape!

K

What's next??? More stuff, more stuff, more stuff, more stuff... cuz it's so dang cool!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 696 replies